Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Dr Scoofles posted:

My father in law is especially bad as he will sit infront of the telly with crackers and cheese and eat super slowly with a lot of noise and also this strange internal moaning and wheezing sound, like the work of eating is putting such a stress on his body he has to groan with the effort. Spending an evening sitting next to him is especially tough.

People who pant and wheeze a lot aren't necessarily my peeve but it does weird me out. Last Friday I had plans to go out for drinks with some friends, one of them came to my place beforehand as we were going to drive into the city together. Before we left we took my dog for a brisk walk around the block (maybe a thirty minute walk at most) and by the time we were halfway through the walk my friend (who is a big guy but not ridiculously fat and no bigger than I am) was wheezing and panting and had sweat pouring off him like he was halfway through the Boston marathon. When we got home he had to sit down for twenty minutes to compose himself and it just wigs me out, like, how do you become so unfit that just walking at a normal pace for a short length of time knocks you the gently caress out?

Later that night my friends and I were walking through the city from one club to another, a distance of no more than a kilometre, and both my friend from the previous story and a second guy we were with who is not even fat or terribly goony were both panting and wheezing like a couple of pugs with asthma. Is walking so unusual these days that walking a couple of blocks is a massive exertion for some people? Look after your gross, meat bodies, people :catstare:

edit - a related pet peeve: fat guys who stink. There's a certain type of fat guy I've encountered over the years and they will have this really distinct stink on them that is kinda like body odour but also smells like they might have poo poo themselves a little bit? And no matter how much deoderant or cologne these guys use this overpowering fat-guy stank just rolls off them and makes me want to gag and it's like, do you just not bathe or clean your clothes? To be fair a few guys I've met who smelt like this were diabetic and had ulcers that definitely contributed to the stink but goddamn, when you get to the point where you're so fat your flesh is rotting and you smell like a corpse just kill you're self and if you stink that bad and don't even have the excuse of having literal rotting flesh falling off your body then gently caress, what even is your life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
My wife is obsessed with getting delivery food. If she's had a bad day at work or she's tired or whatever she'll hassle me to get delivery for dinner and it always sucks. She ends up spending $40 or $50 because of the markup most places put on their delivery menus then spends an hour moping around waiting for the food to turn up and half the time it's late or the restaurant fucks the order up or whatever and it just seems like such an unsatisfying way to go about things when I could cook her something or drive to the shops and buy takeout in half the time for way less cost.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
After seeing Big Hero Six I call my dog a 'hairrrrrry baby' all the time but then I also call him a 'hosed up tiny wolf' and 'rear end in a top hat raccoon' so I think it balances out. My dad gets super paternal and 'dadly' whenever he comes over to visit the dog though because I think he knows he's never going to get grandkids out of me and that weirds me out a lot.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Currently experiencing this peeve: when I'm at work and someone calls me and asks for an email address or fax number so they can send me a document then say they'll call back to confirm if I received the document and they never send the document or call back. It's always overseas travel insurance companies that insist they need to send all this documentation before their client can be approved for a medical service (even though we'll do the tests upfront if the patient has a membership number / proof of insurance on them and we don't require pre-authorization) and then it never arrives and I never hear back from them. It happens at least a couple of times a week and does my head in.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

reformed bad troll posted:

Also, people that address you "sir" or "ma'am. Nobody, NOBODY in Scotland refers to each other as sir or ma'am, so it's pandering as loving when someone in a shop or in a call centre refers to you as this. I'm not an Edwardian gentleman walking about with a loving monocle.

Thankfully, I don't work in customer service anymore.

In Australia when people in customer service call you sir or ma'am it's only because they couldn't call you a oval office without getting fired.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
I hate people who can't answer simple questions, especially when we're texting.

I had this conversation with a friend this morning via texts:

"So do you want to go out for a drink or just come over and watch a movie?"

"Yep, sounds good."

Which one sounds good, motherfucker? I gave you a choice between two completely opposite activities, this isn't a yes or no question, goddammit.

:negative:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Sociopastry posted:

Bagging issues

I went to Target a few weeks ago and bought a bunch of stuff and the cashier shoved it all into one bag which was way over-filled. I had to walk home so I asked her for a second bag so I could redistribute my shopping and not have to carry one over-stuffed bag home and this happened:

:) Can I get a second bag please?

:byodame: Our bags are strong, it won't break.

:) I know, I just want a second bag, please.

:byodame: You don't need one, it won't break.

:geno: Please give me a second bag.

:byodame: Why? You don't need it, this is ridiculous.

:bang: I want a second bag for my shopping, thank you. (At this point I just leant over and took a second plastic bag off the stand-thing on her checkout)

:byodame: (as I'm walking out of the store) You're unbelievable, this is ridculous, why are you so rude!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Current peeve: when you order a cappuccino and there's chocolate powder on the cup handle.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Last night I needed to go to the supermarket so I asked my girlfriend if she needed any groceries and she said no. Then I said I was probably going to get some hot food from the deli and did she want anything. She said no to that as well.

Then I get home and she asks if she can try some of my food and eats half of it then an hour later remembers that she needs a bottle of wine because she's going to a friend's place and asks if I can run to the liquor store for her. Goddamnit, I just asked you if you needed groceries or food and you said no and then it turns out you wanted both. Get your poo poo together, jesus.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
In the kitchen at work there's a sandwich press thing and I feel like I'm the only person that knows how to use it properly. I chuck my sandwich in the microwave for, like, 20 seconds then put it in the sandwich press and it's done in less than a minute. Everyone else puts their sandwich in the press and then just leaves it there for an eternity. One lady will put slices of bread (not a sandwich, just bread) in the press then gently caress off for 10 or 15 minutes. It does not take that long to toast a piece of bread! What the gently caress is wrong with you. It does not take 5 minutes to heat up a cheese sandwich, holy gently caress. I don't even understand how these people can leave their food in the press for so long; if I toast my sandwich for two minutes it starts to burn.

A related peeve is watching other people prepare food. When I cook dinner it doesn't normally take more than twenty minutes from start to finish including washing up then I go to a friend's house and it takes them hours and makes me want to tear my hair out in frustration at how slowly and inefficiently they're doing everything. It also seems like the more somebody hypes up a dish that they are making the longer it will take and more disappointing it will be once it is finally served.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
I hate advertising that offers what seems like a great deal then turns out to not actually be a deal at all. Yesterday I got an email from EB Games with the title 'Massive Price Drop on PS4's' which sounded great because I've been wanting to buy one but they're still a bit too expensive for my budget. So I open the email and it says 'PS4 now only $400 (when you trade in a 500gb slimline PS3)'. That's not a price reduction at all. That's just them deducting the trade-in credit from the normal RRP of a PS4 :mad:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Christmas. I hate Christmas...

I'm not a big fan of traditional family Christmas but it's nice to get a day off work, maybe make a nice meal for yourself and your loved ones or close friends and just relax. You don't have to go whole hog into the consumer side of the day but there's no reason not to find a way to make it your own thing.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

YeahTubaMike posted:

When people don't let you dislike something in peace. "How can you not like [thing]?" is not a valid question. "It's so awesome!" is entirely subjective.

Conversely, my peeve is when I ask someone 'why don't you like [thing]?' and they can't (or won't try to) give me an answer. Like, I don't care if it's a dumb reason but I genuinely want to know your thoughts on the subject and you can't even be bothered to think about it for five seconds instead of saying 'i just don't like it'.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
When people suck their teeth in public.

Being on a train and having to listen to someone's small child babbling nonsense for the entire trip.

People who play games on their phones with sound turned up.

Pretty much everything about commuting and being around other people, actually.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Maggie Fletcher posted:

When gas stations line up their octane selections like this: 87 - 91 - 89 to try to trick people into buying premium gas when they want mid grade.

My local service station has yellow pumps for regular unleaded and green pumps for premium. The competing chain of service stations has green pumps for regular unleaded and yellow for premium and I'm pretty sure this is an intentional decision to trick people who normally go to the other chain into buying premium petrol if they're not paying attention to the signs on the pumps.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Tiggum posted:

I don't know why anyone has more than one set of sheets per bed. Wash the sheets, dry the sheets, put the sheets back on the bed. Same goes for towels, except you can skip the drying phase and just hang them back up in the bathroom to dry out before you need them again the next day.

Some places don't have perfect temperate weather all year round and it might take more than one day for large things like bedding or towels to dry?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Ugh, listening to people talk about nutrition in that weird witch-doctor, voodoo way is so goddamned frustrating. I have two housemates, both girls in their early 20s, and the other day they were discussing food and talking about how sugar is basically granulated poison and gluten is the devil and rah rah rah. They both eat like poo poo but you better believe they spend a ton of money on organic veggies and other hippy nonsense that then rots in the fridge while they eat takeaway and junk food most days.

Life is too short to obsess about food, especially if you're not actually educated about things beyond reading Facebook macros and ~inspirational~ posts on Instagram. Eat balanced meals, don't eat things if they make you feel sick, exercise more. That's it. That's the goddamned secret code to ensuring the horrible pile of meat that is your body is running at an optimal level.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Davinci posted:

I eat my toast raw

Gross

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
I like Christmas because it means I get a few days off work and normally have the house to myself as all my housemates are off doing stuff with their families. I normally tell my family I have to work so I can't come to whatever family celebration they're doing and I catch up with them earlier in December for a relaxed dinner with none of the stress that is associated with Christmas.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
My pet peeve is when people come over and refuse to acknowledge my dog. He's tiny and fluffy and stupidly friendly so when people come over he gets all excited and runs around like crazy. If the visitor pats him for five seconds he'll calm down and go back to whatever he was doing. If they ignore him he gets anxious and whinges and whines until he gets bored or distracted. Then, of course, the person who has come over glares at the whiny dog and acts like it's the biggest nuisance ever. Just pat him for five goddamn seconds, Jesus. My housemate's dad often comes over and has literally never, not once, acknowledged my dog. My housemate's siblings (who, to be fair, are young kids) are also terrified of the dog and ran out of the house the first time they came over and saw him. I don't understand how people can have such a reaction to a dog. Dogs are awesome :colbert:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Tiggum posted:

Some people just don't like dogs. That's not unreasonable.

It's not unreasonable to not like dogs but it is unreasonable to come into my house and pretend my dog doesn't exist. Talking specifically about my housemate's dad because he acts like a goddamned psychopath: he comes in and won't make eye contact with the dog, won't look in the vicinity of the dog, won't say anything about the dog that is frantically squirming around trying to say hello. It's weird as gently caress and also, imho, rude. Hell, I'm not a big fan of cats but if I go into a house or shop and there's a cat I'll say hello and give it a pat then move on. It takes seconds out of my day and is polite to both the animal and its owner.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Tiggum posted:

Humans are more important than dogs.

Mods, please ban this sick filth.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

lidnsya posted:

Coworkers who swoop on by to smell and inspect your food, "What's for lunch?" "Is it good?" "Smells good!" "Whatcha eating?"
I can't wait for it to warm up so I can find somewhere outside to eat.

I hate this so much. When I get to work in the morning I make myself a piece of toast for breakfast and at least once a week I'll get someone commenting, 'oh my gaaaawwwwdddd, that smells sooooooo good!' It's just toast :geno: Bread is very readily available and easy to turn into toast; I don't understand why people need to come and drool over my breakfast. (I do know, it's because they're on some dumb as gently caress diet or cleanse or not eating carbs this week or whatever the gently caress but that's a whole other pet peeve of mine.)

fake edit - people sniffing around and feeling compelled to comment on my food has also been a driving factor in my decision to only bring salads for my lunches. If I don't have to heat my food up there's no smell for you motherfuckers to comment on :argh:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Ozz81 posted:

For me it's not a charity thing, it's always someone trying to sell a warranty or in-store credit card to me and not taking "no" for an answer. I said no more than once already, someone getting all cutesy with their bullshit "but you can save <x> amount!" or "are you suuuuurrreeee? it doesn't cost anything!" isn't going to make me change my mind. Especially not when I've had poo poo like that in the past where my information got sold and my phone and email got spammed so goddamned much with texts, phone calls, and advertising that I ended up creating a new email and changing my phone number.

Take the hint, accept my answer, let me move on without being irritated or having to consider shopping elsewhere.

They're not badgering you because they really, really care about the product. They're badgering you because they have a KPI where they have to get a certain number of sign-ups per shift or their boss will chew them out about their poor performance. They know you hate it, they hate it too but it's not the cashier's decision to peddle this poo poo to you and there's absolutely no point getting mad about it. If you really hate it the only effective thing to do would be to send an email to the CEO of the company outlining your grievance with the process.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Troutful posted:

Useless online recipe reviews. I see this kind of thing a lot:

"Thick & Fluffy Pancake Recipe"

Reviewer: "I didn't have milk so I used the juice from a can of asparagus and my hubby is gluten intolerant so I substituted the flour for sawdust. Worst pancakes ever, this recipe is terrible. 1/5"

Fixed that for you.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Captain Lavender posted:

Maybe one of you can educate me, it might put my mind at ease.
But I don't understand why so many people use "an" in front of "historic" instead of "a". It's not french, it's a hard H.

I don't go to the deli for 'an hoagie'

I'm not terrified of 'an hippopotamus'

I assume it's some kind of custom-and-usage type of situation, but I don't get it.

quote:

It is a traditional rule of English that 'an' can be used before words that begin with an H sound if the first syllable of that word is not stressed. Indeed, some traditionalists would say it must be used before such words. Since the first syllable of historic is unstressed, it is acceptable to use 'an' before it.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I was going to post the same thing!
Also how is the H not stressed? It's not like "honest" or "hour."

If you're British it could be 'istoric but I think they mean the first syllable is not stressed rather than just the first letter because it is normally pronounced his-TOR-ic.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

BuddyChrist posted:

This, but unironically.

Also I know I started name-chat but my real first name is Chad, and I just beg everyone to never name their children this horrible name. Almost everybody I know can look up their name on urban dictionary and find a listing (obviously made by someone with the name) touting that the person with that name is great. I think I went through 8 pages without a positive entry. Of course that doesn't really mean anything but it seems everyone interprets the name Chad to mean you wear 12 popped collars and call everyone "bra".

Whenever I say my name for an order they inevitably write Jack.

The worst one for me is that about 70% of the people who meet me ask if my full name is Chadwick. I've known several people with my name over the years and none of them were actually named Chadwick. I've never even heard of another person named Chadwick (barring famous or historical people) so why does everyone ask that?

Have you ever asked your parents why they chose the name 'Chad'? That goes for everyone with crazy-rear end names that have haunted them through their lives. Do your parents at least have a good reason for saddling you with these albatrosses?

(My name is a very normal, boring name and my parents intentionally chose it because it can't be shortened and they didn't want me to grow up with everyone using a nickname instead of my real name.)

Content: my current peeve is people who have an uncanny ability to stop conversation dead by not understanding basic social conventions. I'm doing the online-dating thing and was messaging a girl, asked her if she'd be interested in meeting up for a coffee sometime. Her response was 'I don't like coffee'. Welp, okay :geno: How do you not understand that 'coffee' doesn't mean coffee? It's just a polite, socially-acceptable way to frame meeting a stranger from the internet for the first time. We can have beer or soda or juice or you can just not drink anything, I really don't care. Another girl I was talking to: I asked her what she likes to do in her free time and her reply was 'I work pretty much all the time'. Okay, that's cool but again, this is a question designed to facilitate conversation. I don't care if you don't actually have time to do hobbies or whatever but just tell me what you like. gently caress. How are these people so dull that they don't understand how to have a conversation?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

teenytinymouse posted:

Reminded of a time my friend picked up my little hamster in its ball and blew vape clouds at it. I was livid.

Nobody tell me it's all water vapour, it's the rudeness I am mad at. Pet-pet-peeve is people not being incredibly super nice to your pets at all times :mad:

People not respecting your boundaries about your pets is the worst. People always try to feed my dog treats or scraps of whatever they're eating even if I ask them not to and then don't understand why he gets all revved up and crazy and starts harassing them more after he gets treats from them. Like, it's not hard to not give him food, just, you know, don't do it. After a minute he'll realise there's no treats coming and wander off but if you do give him a treat then you will be forever labelled the Treat Dispenser and will never know a moment's peace because now the dog expects treats from you.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Iron Crowned posted:

That reminds me, people who don't seem to understand how buying things at a store works...

This but for everything. Maybe I'm displaying some privilege I'm not aware of but seeing people completely mystified by poo poo like buying a train ticket or how to validate your ticket on a tram; how to pay for a ticket in a parking lot; how to order food at a food court; how to order a coffee at Starbucks. Just simple, basic, everyday interactions and transactions that I take completely for granted yet every day I see people just staring, slack-jawed and completely loving baffled by the situation they've found themselves in.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Red light cameras are absolutely a scam, the companies that make them bribed politicians to get them installed. And the technology is frequently faulty or even intentionally malicious.

In :australia: (or at least in my state) the red light cameras are configured so that they don't activate until the light is already red so if you enter an intersection on an amber light you will not get fined. If you enter the intersection after the light is red you will get flashed and when you receive the fine in the mail it tells you how long the light was red before you entered the intersection. You can also view the photo of the incident which has two frames: when you first enter the intersection and (I think) a second later which will show whether you continued through the intersection or made an attempt to stop as well as if there were any extenuating circumstances like a traffic jam, accident, or emergency vehicle that may have compelled you to run a red light. There's also a process to make a written dispute and have your fine reviewed rather than going through the hassle of going to court to fight it. In my opinion it's a fair and transparent system and people still piss and moan about how it's a scam and just designed to make money for the police :shrug:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

DarkCrawler posted:

People who have headphones but listen to it so loud that I can still hear it just fine, defeating the whole concept of headphones in the first place. Also causing ear damage to themselves because what the gently caress how are your ears not already bleeding.

This is a problem with either cheap headphones that are basically just ear hole-shaped speakers with no consideration to directing the sound or people using open-backed 'studio' style headphones in inappropriate situations like on the bloody train. Often the person listening to the headphones doesn't have them turned up terribly loud but because of the design all the sound leaks out the back of the headphone so it sounds like it's turned up to 11 for anyone sitting near by.

My current peeve: I have a group of friends that I play board games with. I love playing board games and I love my friends because they're relatively normal people and I can game without being subjected to awful nerds. However, I am not super competitive and am happy just playing games for the fun of it and whoever wins doesn't matter to me. However my friends are crazy competitive and get intensely emotionally invested in every game we play. One friend in particular also suffers a bit from ADD so not only is she furiously trying to win, she's constantly asking us to re-explain the rules of the game and then getting intense analysis paralysis so her turns take forever. This means a 20 minute light card game like Archaeology can easily take an hour to play. Last time we played she cried (real, actual crying, not just attention seeking) because someone else drew a map card when she was trying to collect a set of them and she thought it was going to ruin her plan. She also constantly tries to get us to divide the tiles into equal piles for each player when we play Carcassonne and refuses to accept our explanations of why that's a bad idea. I would be okay if she just said 'my crippling sad brains won't let me enjoy this game unless we do it this way even though I'm cutting myself off at the knees by only taking a quarter of the available tiles each game' but she just insists that it will make the game more 'efficient' or 'elegant' if we do things her way and refuses to acknowledge or engage when we try to explain probability and the reason all players draw from a shared pool of tiles to her. It's like trying to play cards with a child :(

So every game night leaves me frustrated because we can only ever play light games due to how long each game takes and our friend's inability to remember complex rules and also completely emotionally exhausted from watching my friends yell and curse at each other as they try to claw their way to the top of a game of Carcassonne or something. Then I talk to other normal-ish people who say they love board games but their knowledge of games starts and ends at Monopoly or maybe Cards Against Humanity so I don't know what the hell I have to do to find people to game with. Maybe I should just accept defeat and find a group of terrible nerds to play with :sigh:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Amoeba102 posted:

Are you drawing from a bag or a single pile?

When we play Carcassonne we put all the tiles in a bag and each player takes one tile out of the shared bag randomly on their turn. My friend doesn't like this method and wants to divide the tiles into equal piles at the beginning of the game so each player gets a separate pile of tiles to draw from. She doesn't understand / refuses to understand why her way of drawing would gently caress the randomness of the game and essentially turn it into a predetermined outcome.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
edit - double post

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

artsy fartsy posted:

I've got some good news for you!

:v:

That's what peeves me so much. My friends are relatively normal people. They've all got jobs, functional relationships, aren't obsessed with nerd media or pop culture. But when we sit down to play board games they all turn into loving lunatics.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I think sometimes it's one, and sometimes the other, because sometimes the substituted phrase does sound like the artist, and sometimes it sounds like some random person trying to sound like the artist. At first I thought it was "bae" too, but since it happens so often here, I assume it means "the bay." Just yesterday I heard a song that substituted "San Francisco" for "Colorado." Like, okay, it's a local station, but really, you can't just let the song be about loving Colorado?

This one station also has singers imitating artists of popular songs but substituting the words with their call letters. Imagine hearing Bieber's "Sorry" but instead of "is it too late now to say sorry?" you're hearing some bad singer impersonate him with "Wild 94-9, Wild 94-9..." It's really annoying. It takes a lot of work to sound worse than Bieber.

The idea of a radio station going to the effort of inserting their city name and call sign into songs is incredibly :psyduck: to me and I think my new pet peeve is the idea that there are people out there who hear these edited songs and enjoy them more than the originals.

Related, this collection of TV ad spots where they just sub out the city or state name is pretty bizarre when you watch them all one after the other.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

MisterBibs posted:

My pet peeve of late is people treating the consumption of fast food as suicide, or overly gross.

On the macro? I get it, too many people eat too much of it. But that doesn't make it terrible to eat every once in a while. Nobody has died from having a cheap burger every once in a while.

On the personal/micro level, don't bitch about it when I'm doing it. As someone whose most elaborate order is a double cheeseburger, small fry, and a water, I'm kinda the opposite of the folks who need to be told to cut down.

Ugh, my family do this. They always talk about fast food as if it's the most terrible poison you can put in your body. Like, if you've desecrated yourself with a Big Mac you may as well skip straight to injecting heroin into your eyeballs because there's clearly nothing left in life for you. (At the same time they eat terrible, unhealthy garbage food, just not fast food so I don't know if it's some sort of weird classist prejudice or where the gently caress it comes from.)

Anyway, the other week I went to visit my grandpa in the nursing home he lives in. My aunt and grandma came along, too. My aunt decides they will get KFC for lunch as a treat for my grandparents and asks what I want. I said I'll just have a soda as I knew whatever I ordered would be met with a bunch of comments about how it's soooo unhealthy and isn't it just terrible that people eat this stuff (said while they're all shoving down a ton of food) and so on. So my aunt comes back and has gotten me some chips which I eat because I'm polite and then after everyone's finished she starts saying 'oh I thought you just wanted a soda and weren't going to eat?' and it's like, gently caress, you bought food for me. Was I supposed to throw it on the ground and tell you to get hosed? Jesus. Ugh, people being weird about food drives me insane. Just eat what you want and don't proselytise to me and don't give me poo poo about what I want to put in my body.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

teenytinymouse posted:

Wait, so she just finished eating the same food she's shaming you for eating?? What the gently caress is happening here :psyduck:

Well, you see, when my aunt eats fast food it is an act of sacrifice so that her elderly parents can have a 'nice treat' for lunch but when I eat fast food it's because I'm a degenerate with no self control or willpower :downs:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Current peeve: people who call the Snapchat dog ears filter the 'hoe filter' or similar. It looks cute, sorry people like to have fun when they take selfies, jesus. Why do people have to have loving opinions about every little, goddamned thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
I feel like I've posted this before but my housemate does the 'deaf when focusing on something' thing and it is so bizarre. If she's watching TV I can walk up to her and go through a whole speech about something and she won't blink. If I call her name multiple times (while standing 2 feet from her) she won't respond. I don't know what it is but when she watches TV she just goes into full zombie mode and nothing can interrupt her viewing experience.

When I was younger I had another friend who did the same thing but it was definitely more a weird attention-seeking behaviour while I feel like with my housemate she genuinely isn't aware of anything around her when she's focused on the TV.