Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Being sick at work, especially with a raspy voice.

"Oh, looks like you're getting sick!"
"You should drink some Emergen-C."
"Wow you sound terrible!"
"Ooooh don't breathe on me!!"

I don't want to talk about it, please just let me stock books in peace. I know people are trying to be nice but it's so annoying! And talking makes my throat hurt :(

Same with haircuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
When I get to my job by bus, I have about 15 minutes before my shift begins. This is the perfect amount of time to gently caress around on my phone and get coffee, with no risk of being late. It works well.

However:
My pet peeve is when people talk to me during this time. No, I don't care about work when I'm not on the clock. No, I don't want to hear about the new workplace drama. No, even if you're my friend, no. Since I come directly from school, this is the only time I have where I am beholden to no one in a solid 9-10 hours. Let me drink the drat coffee.

Actually, let me expand that: if I am eating and we are not at a meal together, don't talk to me. I hate this way more than i should and I really have no justifiable reason for it, so I think it fits this thread.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
My roommate talks on speakerphone exclusively. He is by nature a loud (very very loud) person, but even for him it seems excessive.

Bonus: he's a ~~network marketer~~ so everything he says is some bullshit about how cool and good his company is and how they're totally going to make you money, honest!

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Murphy Brownback posted:

When I try and unlock my phone and it goes directly to the camera mode. I have no idea what I'm doing to make it do that, and I can't replicate it when I actually want to. I have to delete a lot of floor pictures because I tap on it expecting the homescreen but it's the camera instead.

If you're on iPhone it's interpreting your swipe as up, not to the right. Swiping up on the lock screen takes you to the camera.

My phone likes to do that too; the phone will stay on in the background draining the battery and it dies after a minute or two. Oh old phone, you tried :smith:

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
We always called them ice licks :downs:

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
It turns out that pinching me in the meat of my upper arm as a way to silence me is a great way to turn me into a huge ball of rage instead.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

A whole subsection of my college friends were like that, often acting like misanthropes while gathered in a group. The irony was lost on them.

One of them (who I love dearly, but God she could be annoying the first couple of years) was really fond of saying she "didn't give a gently caress" when in fact she gave a huge, negative gently caress about most things.

I used to live with a guy like this; it was a bad, annoying time.

Petchat: this same guy once refused to believe me when I pointed out that his new puppy was female. He didn't talk to me for a few days after that because I had ~*~insulted his intelligence~*~. When he took her in for her shots the and vet pointed out that the male-named and -pronouned dog was sporting a vulva and not a penis he finally believed it but refused to acknowledge that we had ever talked about it prior.

People who can't deal with being wrong and just double down. That's my peeve.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Sociopastry posted:

It sounds like she was trying to prevent the spread, though? Otherwise she would have just sneezed/coughed into the open air/on you.

I would, however, like it if people started wearing those doctor's masks. It seems more polite to be like "this way I'm less likely to breathe my plague breath on you". I'm tempted to do it the next time I'm sick, but I'm pretty sure I'd look like a goober.

I'd really like to do this when I am well enough to go to school/work, but not well enough to feel comfortable breathing in someone's airspace. I'm not really looking forward to the slew of questions though.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Tendai posted:

God almighty, yes. People who I think have sense keep posting that poo poo on Facebook, and it's all foul poo poo that involves pre-mixed biscuits and too much sugar.
It's always biscuits, you're right! Who the hell always has those bitter-rear end instant biscuits on hand anyway?

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
When I tell someone about my phobia, I try to do it in a "hey, this is serious" way. It negatively impacts my life and is a major source of anxiety for me; if I'm telling someone about it than I consider them close enough to trust with the knowledge that this specific thing is a major trigger/mental block.

My pet peeve is when they immediately start talking about their experiences with this thing, usually negative, and always geared toward my specific fear.

Thanks for the loving adrenaline spike, asswad!

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

MasBrillante posted:

The fact that 90% of sandwich recipes include mayonnaise. I hate mayo. I hate that I have to ask to have it removed because a lot of times shops forget and it makes me retch like a big baby when I smell it. I feel like spreads should always be optional except at actual gourmet places where a chef carefully constructed the flavor profile of a particular dish. Otherwise, leave your nasty fatty cum sauce off my sandwich!

Related: the word "Sammy" for sandwich.

The fact that women's shoes are either knee-destroyingly flat or ankle-breakingly high and very few stores carry options for people who actually care about their bone health but don't want to be offensively unfashionable.

You could be me with these. Mayonnaise is a substance I'm sloooowly warming up, and even then only Japanese mayonnaise and aioli and such. The thick white globs of it that sandwich makers insist on smearing on just make me gag. How is that okay? How is that expected? Just ask before putting condiments on, they change everything and can't be picked off.

I also care deeply about my bone health and arch stability and have chosen the route of offensively unfashionable. Welcome to hiking boot club :sigh:

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I take walks as a really basic form of therapy, which makes it really awkward when people insist on giving rides.

It's such a nice gesture that i really don't want or need, and I'm definitely the weird one here :smith: I wish I lived somewhere with less of a car culture; walks are really pleasant and good at clearing my head.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I like Christmas songs:mamacita:

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

bradzilla posted:

-A post by a coddled idiot who's never lived in a shared housing situation
There's a whole range of options between totally silent at all hours of the day and bumping sick beats 24/7.

If my upstairs neighbors want to blast music for like two hours in the afternoon that is okay; if they want to blast music from 8 to 8 all day every day suddenly it's not okay. Part of living in shared spaces is figuring out where that line is drawn and which hills are important to die on.

The Snoo is currently surrounded by hills that look like good and attractive places to die, for example.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

walrusman posted:

I have a song in my heart. v:shobon:v

keep it there

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
There's also the possibility that they find air mattresses uncomfortable and would prefer the couch.

I've slept on the floor to avoid a lovely air mattress. I'm not sure how people sleep on them.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

MightyJoe36 posted:

Looking older than Clint Eastwood and having to show my ID to some kid who is barely old enough to work. :argh:
Sorry man, my manager gets on my case otherwise :shrug:

In a classic case of goon face blindness I also have trouble telling people's ages unless they are younger than 12 or older than 60, and this is it's own pet peeve.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Another traffic-related peeve is people giving up their entitled right-of-way. You don't have a stop sign and I do, go through the drat intersection! I can't move until you do! I'm turning left and you are going straight through the green light, go ahead and go! This isn't a stop sign; I'm waiting for you to clear the intersection so I can go through it. You're trying to be nice, but you're just loving poo poo up and it's taking more time to do anything, while frustrating everyone around you. Just take the right of way, it's yours!

This but on a bike. I'm part of traffic whether I like it or not, please don't wait on my slow rear end to turn left before you go straight. It will only frustrate us both.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Our washing machine and drier are in a tiny closet. The (front loading) drier door can’t quite latch open because the closet door is in the way, making the drier door drift shut again and again and again while I try to load it.

gently caress whoever designed this layout without testing it

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
My current job makes everyone watch this video during training; upon completion the trainer turns to the trainee and tells them to not do that poo poo. It’s in there because the manager is an insane person and the only one who acts like that.

I love workplace training videos but it’s an unethical love. Sorry people who have to watch them!

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Grevling posted:

Yeah, Norway. I've wondered for a long time why this is a thing and a sociologist should get on this case.

Like I said I personally think it has something to do with speaking ironically or jokingly, but a few people also seem to switch for no goddamn reason.

It looks like there are already sociologists on the case but I can’t access their articles :mad:

If you want to look yourself, look for articles about code switching in Nordic countries— most of the sociological texts I’ve read on this have been on the use of Spanish among Hispanic people living in the US, but it would be interesting to look at a completely different situation that produces similar results.

My pet peeve is not being in school anymore apparently.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The apple podcast app.

drat it sucks now, i legit dunno why it’s the way it is now unless it was engineered to suck and maybe cause crashes.
It’s so bad now. It’s bad at every step, and it sucks, and I hate it.

The old one was fine and I didn’t know how good I had it until they took it away :saddowns:

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I sympathize and lost sleep really sucks, but ants are my pet peeve and I have freaked out like that before over a trail of them.

Seriously, gently caress ants.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Today a middle-aged white lady painstakingly explained a bunch of poo poo to me, all of which I already know.

I did not enjoy the experience.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Some of y’all never got lost in the woods as kids and it shows

If you do it enough you can feel which way east is in the same way you feel which way left is. Or whatever inferior direction your subconscious gloms onto idk

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Learning to drive as an adult blows goats. I have/had a horrifying phobia surrounding it that doesn’t play nicely with ptsd and let me tell you right now, it’s nothing to be proud of. It’s barely something to be tolerated.

I’m probably a lot of people’s peeve because I drive like a mean, scared grandma. I’m sorry y’all.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
poz my like hole

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Oh hey I just moved into a sketchy apartment and have just started passing more often too, I regret to inform you that you now live in my actual nightmares

Pet peeve: I'm still moving and I keep doing this thing where I get trapped into sitting down and sorting through assortments of tiny objects instead of just shifting the big things. I'll have a lamp and a dresser to move and instead of dealing with them directly I'm going through drawers deciding which buttons I want to keep.

This is 100% an anxiety coping thing but its stupid it sucks and I hate it

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
The intersection near my old house had a persistent problem with it's crosswalk where the traffic in the lane closest to me would stop, so I do my little pedestrian wave and start crossing.... but the other three lanes just kept roaring on by.

This is my least favorite situation: in front of a short-tempered two-ton murder machine, my destination blocked by cars going both ways, sheepishly turning back to the sidewalk.

İt happened about once a month and only ever at that crossing.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
For reasons involving greed I have 6 calenders in my home

I curse myself for doing this to myself at the start of every month

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

I hate that all modern electronics beep to let you know they're low on battery. The first time, fair enough. Good to know that I'm down to 20%, thanks, I'll do something about that as soon as I can. But doing it again every time the battery drops another percentage point is not loving helping. There needs to be a "Thanks, message acknowledged, don't tell me again" option.

My least favorite incarnation of this is wireless earbuds that beep every 20 seconds when they hit 20 percent battery. Mmm yes just the audio spice this song needed on the last leg of my walk!

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Killingyouguy! posted:

My wireless headphones are deafeningly loud at 20% volume, 100% is i guess for wearing around your neck, but guess at what volume the lady who lives inside them screams 'LOW BATTEWY'? :downs:

My peeve is when people say 'question' before asking a question. Just ask! We know what a question is!

:byodood:THE BLUE-TOOTH DEWİCE İS READY TO PAİRS :byodood:

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Riatsala posted:

Mine is a very pleasant Chinese voice saying PLEASE CHARGING

Ooh I've had her before!

How are there only like 3 Bluetooth ladies?

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
İm like 99% sure I've posted about this before in this very thread, but people in cars being nice ("nice") to bicyclists is a terrifying experience. People will see you stop at a stop sign and immediately slow to a crawl to to let you through. Come on, don't make me think about whether you're going to try to run me over or not if i take your bait!

A lot of cars really treat people on on bicycles like they believe we are trying to destroy American democracy

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Dip Viscous posted:

Wearing a mask but pulling it down at least once per minute to scratch face/lick fingers.

Wearing a mask but pulling it down every time they talk

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

The correct answer is always "get a huge mowawk"

Every time I cut my hair at home (as you do in a pandemic) i have to embrace the possibility that the whole thing gets buzzed off in a fit of pique/truly terrible haircutting skills.

İt's like jumping off a cliff. You must trust yourself

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Most youtube haircutting tutorials are deviously unhelpful, it's true. İf i had an assistant i would have no need for the tutorial.

Pet peeve: the last time I clipped the sides i was kinda tipsy and forgot to put on a guard for the right side. İ clipped it down to a 1 and my hair tends to cover that side anyway, but i still know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I carry a knife just like everyone else i know, but also I live in montana lol