Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

When I set up an event for a social group to which I belong, and a member who moved to another state months ago RSVPs that they can't go. Well no poo poo; you live two states away! I wouldn't expect you to drive several hours just to join us at a restaurant for dinner.

It shouldn't annoy me, because I know they're not doing it to be annoying. It still does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't understand why otherwise intelligent people say things like "You're bias!" instead of "You're biased!". This is second grade language arts, and you're a grown adult.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

credburn posted:

I've never heard anyone say "you're bias" :confused:

But making weird diminutive words out of slightly more correct words has been a function of social media for at least two decades now. I suspect I just haven't noticed it, and now that you've said this, I'm going to realize everyone around me have been accusing people of being bias.

I've mostly seen this online, and it's baffling. A mistake like mixing up its/it's is understandable because English is a weird rear end language. But putting -ed on the end of words is something people should have learned when they were seven.

Another unrelated peeve: a recent trend where random numbers call my cell phone, I don't answer, and they immediately call again thinking that I'm going to be stupid enough to pick up. I don't answer numbers I don't know, so just stop wasting your loving time.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Lots of Olympics related pet peeves:

1. Stupid loving questions that reporters are pushed to ask, like "How did it feel?" after an athlete has won a gold medal. Like poo poo, you moron; what the gently caress do you think it felt like?

2. The bias towards American athletes in coverage. Unless it's a country that American media wants to highlight for whatever reason (e.g: Ukraine for obvious reasons these days), the rest of the athletes in an event might as well be NPCs versus the plucky American. I hate that poo poo.

3. Dick measuring over medal counts. The media plays up the Olympics as hallowed contests between international equals, and in a sense that's true but you'd better believe that dumb Americans wank themselves over the fact that "we" have one more loving gold medal than the dreaded evil empire of China (or Russia, or whatever other country has become capital's Public Enemy #1).

Every time the Olympics come around I'm reminded of how tedious the whole ordeal has become.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Sep 13, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Modern movies, and some TV shows, have this weird compulsion with overexplaining poo poo. A great example is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, where they inserted a really dumb and pointless backstory for Wonka about his dad being a dentist or some bullshit. A lot of NuTrek (not so much SNW, from what I can tell) has also tended to do this by handwaving everything vaguely mysterious in Trek history as "Section 31 did it".

I'm not sure why they feel the need to do this but it's really obnoxious.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

On that same note of overexplaining: I'll never watch any of the 2001 sequels. I hate the fact that they exist, even though I think Clarke wrote them (or some of them). The original 2001 is one of my favorite movies in part because it's so enigmatic; you have to figure out the symbolism for yourself. 2010 and all the subsequent other films explains every boring detail of the mission, why HAL did what he did, and what actually happened with Dave. It's like telling a joke and then explaining why it's funny.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

RFC2324 posted:

Some of us actually like diving into the whys and hows and world settings, so I would actually call this one of the best cases. One book that uses the mystery to write an excellent story, because that does make for a better story, and then a book that dives into why it happened for those of us who have that kind of curiosity.

Its not like you have to read the over explaining sequels.

It's perfectly fine as long as I can explore my own interpretation of what happened in the original as opposed to having to accept Clarke's explanations in the later novels/movies.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bargearse posted:

Related to this, amateur Youtube film critics who get mad about anything that isn't explicitly spelled out for them in minute detail and scream about "plot holes".

The best feeling a movie can leave me with is "what the gently caress did I just watch" plus the feeling that I'm missing something, and if I see it again I might get it on the second go around.

That's exactly how I felt after watching Eyes Wide Shut for the first time recently. I'm still not completely sure what point(s) Kubrick was trying to make with that film, and that's why I like it so much.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Smarmy, jokey meme monikers like "my brother in christ". They're funny once or twice until the internet latches on and obnoxiously runs it into the ground.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Commercials that ruin music I like because now they're associated with that brand. The best example is the beer brand using "Ecstasy of Gold" from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, but there's also Ozempic and "It's Magic" by Pilot.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Although I understand why they do it, Wheel of Fortune contestants who slowly...read...every...part...of...a...puzzle...to...solve...it are extremely annoying.

Almost every commercial, Super Bowl ones included, that work overtime to be 'clever' and 'funny'. They're rarely if ever either one, and the desperation these brands have to become the next meme is palpable.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

loving webp. I don't know where this format comes from or what techbro(s) decided that search engines needed to force it on us when downloading images, but gently caress you; I use jpeg/png.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Another loving pet peeve of mine: cover letters.

I consider myself a fairly good writer but I almost always get frustrated as gently caress writing a cover letter. I've never really mastered the art of bullshit: incorporating your CV details into the description of whatever job you're applying for without sounding insincere.

I doubt I'm alone in thinking that cover letters are an outdated practice.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Feb 14, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

When you complain about the way a company does business in a certain way and some chucklefuck comes back with a variation of "Well, that's just the cost of doing business. If they didn't do it, they'd lose money and there'd be no Megaconglomocorp!".

Tough poo poo. A corporation's bottom line is absolutely not my problem. Figure it out in a way that respects my privacy.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Debate bro youtube channels, regardless of their politics. They rarely if ever accomplish much other than justifying bad-faith alt right types by giving them a forum for their views.

The same thing happens every time: Talking points are recited. No one's mind is changed. Both sides come away thinking, "I totally owned [my opponent]!" and this becomes an article of faith regardless of what actually happened during the debate. It's just a complete waste of time.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"I wish I could leave zero stars" in reviews. It's such a brain melting cliche. Find another way to convey your dislike of something.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ravel's Bolero. It's OK for the first five minutes or so, but it's just the same sequence repeated over and over and over and over again.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Linus from Linus Tech Tips.

I don't really have a reason why; I just don't really like him and I'm sick of seeing him and hearing about him. Anthony and the other guys who work for LTT are fine in my book, but I'd rather never see Linus' face in my Youtube recommends again.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Being misrepresented. I don't particularly care what strangers on the internet think of me or my opinions. But if you're going to dislike one of my takes, which is fine, be sure you know what my actual take is instead of overreacting to what you think I said.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The tendency of many modern TV shows (especially sci-fi but others probably do it as well) that feel the need to provide badly written over-explanations of everything.

For example: It's not enough to say that budgeting explains the discrepancies between OG Star Trek Klingons and more modern ones; instead, let's write :words: about Augments and double secret probation diseases that magically changed Klingon's appearances for reasons! When they're not doing that, they're making Section 31 the cause of everything vaguely mysterious in Star Trek history.

I know it's probably not just Star Trek either; the sequel trilogy of Star Wars has this same tendency and it robs franchises of their mystique. Writers who do this are not nearly as clever as they seem to think they are.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The reason I'll never watch 2010: The Year We Made Contact is that it spoils everything beautiful about 2001 by explaining away a lot of its mysteries. 2001 is not everyone's cup of tea but it's one of my favorites in part because it's so enigmatic.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Spalec posted:

That Deep Space 9 episode had the perfect explanation for the difference between the Klingons.

"We do not discuss it with outsiders :colbert: "

Yes it did, and in my opinion they should have kept it at that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bandcamp is a great site for supporting indie artists directly, and that's the main reason it's my primary source for buying music. But it's really annoying when you revisit an album that's been sitting on your wishlist for a while and find that you can't listen to it because Bandcamp pops up a nagging "Time to open your wallet!" message.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That rapid-fire, meme-filled way that a lot of characters talk in modern comedies (and some dramas). I'm not sure how to describe it but this Cloud 9 clip pretty much exemplifies what I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxY24zeD43U

No one talks like this in real life, but it seems like every single "comedy" show on broadcast TV these days has this style of dialogue. It's really obnoxious. I guess this is what out-of-touch Hollywood types think The Kids sound like today?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 16:10 on May 25, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

InediblePenguin posted:

can you be more specific about what's weird about how they're talking in the clip? sounds like standard new yorker speech w/r/t timing and tempo to me but i'm quite likely missing what specific thing you think is unrealistic

Oh, sorry. I forgot to check back here for replies. "Rapid and breathless" pretty much covers it, but the person who suggested that it was New Yorker talking speed is probably right. I don't care for shows like Cloud Nine Superstore but the characters here aren't nearly as obnoxious as Aaron Sorkin style speak.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Jun 2, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nobody knows why anchovies are bad on pizza; it's one of those assumptions that you're supposed to go along with because it's such a cultural thing at this point, like 'disco bad' and 'Comic Sans bad'. I'd try it once just to see for myself.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

People who are quick to shout "Doomer!" or "Doomerism!" when you post anything less than 'things are perfect and wonderful in the world'.

It's tone policing that's far more obnoxious and knee jerk than any of the alleged "doomerism" that's actually taking place.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Jun 26, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It drives me crazy to read about some insane legislative move or court ruling that everyone hates, but they shrug and go along with it anyway. Case in point: Abbott's so-called "Death Star bill" in Texas where people are dying because they're banned from taking water breaks in triple digit heat. Do people know that they can tell Abbott to gently caress himself and give water breaks anyway? What's he going to do about it, wheel himself somewhere in his little wheelchair and cry about it?

I'll take a small Frosty and a small order of fries, please.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Silver Falcon posted:

It's because most of the people affected by the law are Mexican. People don't tell Abbott to gently caress himself and give water breaks anyway because they're racist and they don't care. :ssh:

That tracks with what someone else pointed out: managers think water breaks aren't cost effective.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Talking heads on cable news. Center left? Center right? Doesn't matter; I despise them, and their endless :words: equally. Corporate news loving sucks.

e: Weird formatting because I was on mobile.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Jul 12, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I majored in Comp Sci at a state university (a good school but nowhere near 'elite'). One of the most important things that college taught me was humility: how much I didn't know about computer science or programming.

My pet peeve is Silicon Valley and the dickheads who reside there. I don't know what it is about tech but I can't stand people who think they're god because they know a little Java code. gently caress you and your condescending smug attitude.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't care the Barbie movie one way or the other; its marketing has been obnoxiously aggressive from day one (Pepto pink everywhere). But thanks to the never ending culture wars, everyone "has" to have an opinion on it.

My pet peeve isn't the movie itself but the fact that everything is another flashpoint in the culture war these days.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Chatbot's (or ChatGPT's) take on ________!"

I. Don't. Give. A. gently caress. I watch this video for your take; not some A.I horseshit. It can be interesting to plug prompts into a chatbot and see what comes out, sure, but that bullshit shouldn't be a substitute for thinking on your own about a subject.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

In political writing, I'm so sick and tired of hearing about a group "weighing" a decision or option. I don't know whether it's because ChatGPT horseshit has infected journalism (it probably has) or it's laziness, but can you all come up with a fresher metaphor than that? It reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_8v2V2XojA

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Maybe LinkedIn was once a genuinely good resource for finding a job (probably not). Now it's a soul-sucking experience where, as someone looking futilely for a job in tech can enjoy people in NJ with Indian names sending you scammy PMs and offers for poo poo like Collabera.

Capitalist efficiency at work!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bargearse posted:

Like boomers giving advice on the property market that hasn’t been relevant in decades.

Or job hunting. "Just show up in person. Shows you're a go-getter!".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Unnecessary censorship in music. A few examples:

"Money it's a hit/don't give me that do goody good [censored]"
"And are you thinking of me when you [censored] her?"
"It's a [censored] girl, but it's gone too far/'cause you know it don't matter anyway..."

Look, I'm 39 years old. I'm very familiar with the words 'bullshit', 'gently caress' and 'bitch' and use them regularly. Stop trying to be my nanny and stop censoring the lyrics. What underage kid is listening to these songs anyway?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Aug 24, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

News anchors pissing and moaning because there's rain and/or storms in the forecast*. "Oh, it's going to be pretty icky for the next few days!". Shut up. It's rain; not an audit from the IRS. Sunny days are boring.

* I'm not talking about legitimate worries from impending hurricanes but bog standard rainstorms.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I despise football and I despise how "sacred" the Superbowl and its dumbfuck ads have become. gently caress football. gently caress "Friday night lights".

e: Why the hell do you think I give a gently caress about "changes in my network", LinkedIn? I use you out of necessity; not because I like you.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Sep 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The type of people (not all of them are techbros) who think that ChatGPT is a magic solution to everything. Need help studying? ChatGPT! Want to get advice about something? ChatGPT! poo poo like that is a nice toy to play around with for a little while, but the trust some people have for these tech toys, I think, is extremely weird and unhealthy.