Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who have no sense of awareness of how loud they/their actions are. The biggest annoyance to me personally are door slammers. The person in the office next to mine, whenever he steps out to do ANYTHING, whether it is to go grab a coffee in the office 2 doors down, or talk to someone in the hall for 30 seconds, he slams the door shut behind him. At least once an hour he does this and it makes me jump almost every time. Is it so much to ask to close it quietly, or maybe...don't close it when you don't need to?

People have already mentioned this before, but I'll just reiterate: sidewalk obstructors. People who walk too slow and take up the whole sidewalk (I'm looking at you, guys slow-walking with their girlfriends while holding hands), as well as the people who just stop dead in their tracks out of nowhere to dig through their purse or look at their phone.

People who never carry any cash with them when going out to eat or drink- this is more of a problem over here in Switzerland than in the US, but a lot of places I've been here either don't/won't split the bill, or are cash-only. I can understand being caught off guard your first time out or two, but there is always someone in the department when we go out as a group that wants to pay their portion by card, forcing one of us with cash to cover them until they pay you back several weeks/months later. Also on a semi-related note: people who act scandalized over every little cultural difference between the place they are visiting and back home. Whenever you try to explain the previous cash issue or other differences, a lot of visitors will launch into a rant about their cash-back cards and how cash is too old fashioned/unsafe etc, or start berating the waiter (who may or may not speak english) in english about having to pay 7 francs for half a liter of water/not always getting free bread before the meal/not having salt and pepper at the table/whatever. I understand the surprise at some of these things because I went through the same thing, but some people just get so mad about it unless they get their way.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 13:29 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mikl posted:

I like cooking, and often I do lunch / dinner parties for friends and family. Every time there's someone who, when I place a dish on the table, immediately reaches for the salt / pepper / oil / soy sauce / whatever.

No, gently caress you. First you taste what I've cooked, and then, if you feel it needs something extra, you add it. You do not add whatever to the dish before even tasting it :argh:

I'm guilty of doing this. I think it's mostly a habit that people pick up when their parents don't season their food as it's cooking when they're growing up, and/or they are used to eating at restaurants who don't. It's nothing personal against you or your cooking. It's just that the vast majority of chefs/cooks under-season everything. I can't remember the last time I had a meal made by someone else that didn't need more salt. I do like things more salty than normal though so maybe it's just me.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mikl posted:

There are two main reasons.

One: what if I know that person likes their food more salty, and I specifically make it more salty? I once did that for a guest, who added even more salt before tasting, then complained about the food being too salty.

Two: it's just bad manners. If you add salt or whatever to a dish without having tasted it, it's as if you were saying "I know from the start that this dish isn't good enough."

I'm not a master chef by any stretch, I'm not even the best cook I know. But I really can't stand this. Taste your food, and then season it if needed. It's not that hard.

For me it's more "I know I have bad taste buds and will find normal good food bland". Getting offended as the chef is pointless - I'm sure there are people who salt their food before tasting it in michelin star restaurants too. Who cares, let them "ruin" their food if they want.

Jastiger posted:

People that don't answer their phone if they don't recognize the number.

Pros of answering:
It could be an emergency!
It could be a telemarketer and you tell them "no" and they stop calling!
Could be someone you know, setting something up, but from a work phone or some such!
Literally, could be ANYTHING!

Cons of answering:

You're out 3 seconds because you can unilaterally end the call if its something you don't want or care about.

Now lets look at the other side!

Pros of NOT Answering:
You get to listen to your ring tone or phone vibrate for 11 seconds! What fun!

Cons of NOT Answering:
It could be an emergency!
It could be a telemarketer and you don't get tell them "no" and they keep calling!
Could be someone you know, setting something up, but from a work phone or some such!
Literally, could be ANYTHING!

Answer your loving phone.

Why would a number I don't recognize be calling me with an emergency? Why wouldn't they just call 911 instead? If it's an "emergency" like "I really need a ride right now", just leave a message and I'll do it. Answering the phone when it's a telemarketer doesn't make them stop calling. In fact, it is more likely to make them keep calling when they find out there is someone answering on the other end. I only know so many people. They are all in my phone. If they call, I answer. If some number in Utah or something is calling me, I let it go to voicemail.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Mar 9, 2015

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

They know if it's a valid number or not by whether it even rings at all. If they're a legitimate company then you can ask them not to call back and they won't. If they're scammers then it doesn't really matter what you do since they'll probably call again

The people I have the most problems with are my schools alumni association. They are relentless. I have tried saying "they" moved and no longer use this number, had my mom tell them I passed away, anything I could think of. Nothing stops them. Every time I think maybe this call coming in at 930pm is an emergency, it is always those fuckers. I know not answering wont stop them, but its a lot easier for me to hit ignore call than get begged for money. They are trained to never take no for an answer. They start out asking for a big number, if you say no they cut it in half and so on forever. The longest i have lasted was until the "how about 5 bucks" when I hang up and swear off answering unknown nunbers for another month or two.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oversleeping. It's never the end of the world, and I never miss stuff because of it, but I hate waking up at 12 when I wanted to be awake at 8 or something. It feels like a total waste of time even if I probably needed the extra sleep.

Also, when I ask people what time something will be done because I'm trying to make plans for after I'm done helping them, and they give me one time. And then, the day I actually have to help them, they give a completely different time, totally loving up what I was trying to do.

On the other end of the spectrum, I hate waking up early, but not early enough to fall back asleep. Like if I'm trying to get up at 6 and wake up at 540. I guess it's better than late, but it's still annoying.

And related to your second point, when people tell me to pick them up/get there at a certain time but really mean 15-30 minutes after that time. I'd have to give rides to a friend back in college a lot, and he was never ready to go when he told me to be there. He'd often still be asleep, and ask me why I came so early. I was exactly on time. Is that really so out of hte ordinary that being on time has become "early" now? When I needed to give a time to them, of course they would always show up 30 minutes+ late, so I learned to subtract half an hour from the time I really wanted them to be there. Why can't they do the same thing the other way around so they are ready when I get there?

Finally, I don't know why but the :boom: emoticon drives me crazy. Seeing it just makes me angry and I can't stop staring at it thinking about how much it annoys me.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm not entirely sure I'm in the right on this one, but... People who pronounce Tokyo with three syllables 'toe-key-yo' and Kyoto as 'kee-yo-toe'. Makes me mad.

Honestly i'm trying and I can't make myself say them with 2 syllables. I guess you are saying tokyo should be "toke-yo" but I can't get rid of the "ee" sound in the middle. Sorry.

Also re: delivery charge, I've noticed some places (dominos, for example) have started putting clarifications that the delivery charge is not a tip and the drivers still need tips. It just seems like a blatant way for the business to charge you extra money for no logical reason, just because they know people will order it anyway. As far as I know though, if you refuse to tip you're just hurting the driver because I don't think they get any of the delivery charge - or at least, that's what I've been told.

Something that's been bothering me lately is people who run everywhere. I don't know why but this seems to be quite common among the asian graduate students who work in the same building I do. The worst part is they tend to keep their heads down too when they do it. As a result, I frequently have to dodge them when they come bursting out of their office with no warning. I just collided with a girl who did that a couple hours ago and she barely had time to mutter sorry before sprinting off again. I used to work with a student who would always sprint ahead of our group when we were outside walking to lunch - she claimed she did it because she hated the sun, but the students I'm around now are inside so they can't use that excuse. What's the rush? Is the building on fire?

Also, loving whistlers. There's some guy that has been whistling most of the drat day in another office. I don't care how catchy whatever you're whistling is, I can't stand the noise of whistling and people are trying to work. At least close your drat door.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Today has reminded me of an annual extreme annoyance on facebook/life in general. Yes, pretty much all of us have money invested in NCAA tournament bracket contests. No, I don't want to hear a live update of your bracket's status after every single game. I can understand talking about it after major upsets, but if you predict a 2 seed beating a 15 seed, who cares?

And related: people who never watch a single NCAA basketball game during the regular season that turn into rabid fans/experts in college basketball during the tournament. I don't know anything about college basketball and acknowledge i'm just gambling by doing these bracket things, I don't put on an act like I know what I'm doing...but with some people, they read one espn article and they can't wait to tell you all about their super-secret ~sleeper picks~.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'd like to add the word "rad" to my list of things I don't like reading.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

People who inquire about a relatively uncommon problem, but then abruptly follow up with "NEVER MIND, FIXED IT, CLOSE THREAD". And then when you have the same problem as them, Google invariably leads you to a bunch of posts like this, except they're three years old and you still have no idea how they fixed the problem.

On a related note that has been driving me crazy recently, people who respond to things on stackoverflow or related sites and get overly pedantic about how you phrase the question. Instead of answering the question the thread just goes back and forth nitpicking about how they're using words wrong even though it's always very obvious what the asker really meant. In a lot of the cases the answerer is "technically" right, but that's the most annoying type of "right" to be. Just answer the drat question.

That, and people who don't know the answer and go the standard tech support route of making you do basic tests or tell them seemingly random information like the driver version of your video card when you ask why your keyboard isn't working or something. It seems like their goal is to buy time until you either get annoyed enough to abandon the thread or you figure it out on your own, in which case they do the quoted "never mind, close thread" thing. There are so many threads out there about problems that were never answered that get marked "SOLVED" because the people stopped posting.

I mean, you'd think with so many people using computers for both work and entertainment, t he internet would be a good source to get support, but 9 times out of 10 you're going to have to figure it out yourself.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The compulsion everyone gets to say "Vegas, baby!" at least once per hour when they take a vacation to Las Vegas. Also people who refer to vacation as "vaca".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

A relative of mine has a border terrier that acts like that too, and other dog owners are just as ignorant and get mad when their dog gets nipped or whatever while it's trying to hump the small freaking out dog. She also goes crazy if anyone even slightly shuffles their feet on the floor, so they warn people not to do that. What do the people (especially little kids) do the second they're alone with the dog? Shuffle the hell out of their feet.

So yeah, I'd agree with your peeve of other dog owners - everyone thinks they're some dog behavior expert and that your warnings are just overreacting, and THEY know how to calm your dog down because they watched some Cesar Millan on animal planet or whatever.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

People who respond to the truth of the day with what day is it for them. IE, today is Friday. But someone at work will pip up that it's their Thursday. NO, fucker, it's Friday. It's not my Friday, your Thursday, his Sunday and her Halloween. IT IS ONE loving DAY OF THE WEEK. Then again you can mostly tell the whiners who have never had to work weekends because that's how the days go to them.

I was going to post this yesterday too. There is someone on my facebook feed that starts their work weekend on Thursdays, and every Thursday without fail she posts "TGI(m)F!" where the m is "my". We get it, you have a long weekend, stop rubbing it in everyone's face. Friday is not synonymous with "end of the work week". It just happens to be that way for most people. Friday is still Friday and Thursday is still Thursday regardless of your work schedule.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mikl posted:

Guys, if you do a scientific presentation and you have graphs in it, label your axes.

Also, if you have two graphs in the same page, showing the same quantity but from two different datasets so you can compare them, use the same scale for those two graphs! :argh:

I don't know how this is so widespread. When you ask them what the axes are, most people will get indignant and say "it's obvious what I mean" or act like it doesn't matter. A graph is meaningless without axis labels (with units if necessary).

Also make sure the two things you are comparing have a reason to be correlated to avoid meaningless graphs like "days since Hitler died" vs "# of autism diagnoses" etc. When I taught an intro astronomy lab, I got so many unlabeled plots, and the few people who did label them just said "x and y are correlated as shown in Figure 1" or something equally meaningless. I mean, they're right, but they are missing the entire point of the exercise by not explaining why they are correlated the way they are.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Panniculus Rift posted:

You guys are idiots. I'm pretty sure most cats would prefer to spend some time outside, even with the miniscule chance of dying, rather than being locked up inside your smelly apartments for the entirety of their existence.

Any pet, whether it's a cat, dog, fish, bird, whatever, is going to "prefer" to be outside. People don't keep them inside as a punishment, they do it for the animal's own protection. Unless you live on a farm with acres of woods surrounding you, the chance of dying is not "miniscule". If you insist on being an ~outdoor cat~ owner, at least make sure it is spayed/neutered, and don't go crying to anyone when it gets run over or eaten by a coyote because the fault for that lies entirely on you.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

walrusman posted:

Pet Island must be a miserable place. "You do things differently from me, ergo I'm gonna drink your tears over the inevitable death of your pet!"

gently caress off, everyone. Let's talk about something else.

I don't think it's too "out there" to say that if your pet dies as a result of being outside, and you let it outside in the first place, the fault lies entirely on you - if you hadn't let it outside, it wouldn't be dead right now. It's hard to have much sympathy over something that could have easily been prevented.

Anyway, I don't think it's off topic - it's certainly a "pet" peeve of many people, not just crazy PI cat ladies.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I know you did. :) I just wanted to expand on it for people who were unaware of the dangers their cat might pose to other species. There was this whole great big discussion about how the cat might get sick or die and only a single person briefly mentioned the wildlife impact.

Back on topic: People who humblebrag about the dinner they just made on Facebook. "What did you guys make tonight? I'm feeling lazy so I just whipped up a little pumpkin risotto with a Parmesan reduction and some slow-cooked short ribs with a kale and walnut salad. Ugh I need to go to the grocery store so badly!" Yes okay I totally believe this is just another meal that you make for yourself every evening.

It seems like most of the people who do this can't actually cook and are struggling to get a photography "career" off the ground after everything else has failed for them. So you get a bunch of blurry, filtered pictures of fancily plated unappetizing pile of mush with a few sprigs of parsely on top of it. It combines two of my biggest annoyances: try-hard "foodies" and ~food photography~. You're at home, stop wasting time posing and taking pictures of your food, it's getting cold.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This might better belong in the college complaints thread, but I'm really starting to hate people who eat food with noisy packaging/wrappers during a class. I have ADD and tend to sit in the front row of classes so it's a super obnoxious-sounding distraction right behind me that completely throws me off for a minute every single time it happens. If I could just tune it out I could, but I kind of can't and it's an inconsistent sound so it predictably throws off my focus every time it happens. It's just rude the great majority of people who do it have plenty of time before or after their classes to eat anyway so there's no way it's necessary.

They always try and be sneaky about it and move extremely slowly, thinking that a noise stretched over 30 seconds is less obnoxious than a slightly louder noise that lasts 3 seconds. If you're going to make noise, just get it over with, like ripping off a bandaid. Going slower still makes noise.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

People caring about what other people name their kids. Do you want a list of a dozen acceptable names everyone has to stick to or something? What's even wrong with calling your child Brayden or Apple or whatever. It's just a name, it's not important.

There's nothing particularly wrong with choosing an uncommon name for your kid, but when you just throw some Y's in there for the sole purpose of making it a "unique" name it's just obnoxious. Yes it's just a name but it's going to be your kid's identity, at least until they're able to legally change it. Naming your kid soda or seven or something is just setting them up to be made fun of their whole lives. It's mattering less now with schools filled with laykyns and Brimatthews etc, but is it really so much to ask to take naming the kid seriously and stop pressing your special snowflake mentality on to them? If you want a silly/cute name, get a pet and name them that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Vic Boss posted:

Do you... really not think countries perceive the US that way?

Honestly the vast majority of people I've met who go on and on about the stereotypes about "murica" are americans. Since moving to switzerland I've never been met with any other reaction than "oh, is it nice there" or other friendly small talk when I tell people where I'm from. It's kind of embarrassing seeing the self-hating americans who just moved to europe try and "fit in" by poo poo-talking america in every conversation - most people just don't seem to care.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

While we're on the topic of recipes, I hate it when they use unquantifiable things. Like, "a bit of (x)" or "a lil (y)". A lot of cooking is subjective but if you're posting a recipe, post exact quantities to reproduce what you made.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Solid Cake posted:

I hate when people call me in regards to something I emailed or texted them about. Why are you doing this to me? If I wanted to talk to you on the phone, I would have just called you myself!

I do this if I get a text when I'm driving. I'd rather just call you instead of trying to text and getting pulled over.

My most recent peeve is delivery companies refusing to leave a package unattended. DHL is the most stubborn about it. No matter how many times I fill out their little form online asking them to just leave it in front of the door they won't do it - even if it'll fit in my mailbox, they "can't". They always come at around noon-1pm, only on weekdays, so I have to practically take the whole day off to accept the package. At least the regular post office will leave a note saying to come to the post office to pick it up. Please DHL, just do it, I promise I won't come after you for a refund if it gets stolen.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

I work for a delivery courier company. A lot of the times the sender puts on Signature Needed and we can't overrride that. What sucks is that our delivery window is pretty much 9am to 5pm, when most people are at work. Now, I work early morning, so sometimes lucky people see me pull in at 6 or 7am with their package, which surprises them, but I want the drat things out of my van as soon as possible.

Not sure about the mailbox, I know in here at least we don't get mailbox keys, so there is no way to cram it in there.

There is, at least in the US, an option to leave the package at a store for pickup; I've had several boxes shipped in to me and I have them held at a Fedex store near my house so I can pick it up after work.

It's one of those things that annoys me about the parent company, not the delivery person. Where I live we have a locked slot mailbox for letters, and a larger box underneath that isn't locked - big enough to fit maybe an 8"x8" box in. That's where I'd wish they could leave it. I love it when they come at 6-7 in the morning - I'm up and getting ready by then, I can buzz them in and take it off their hands. I just wish there was something I could sign to completely release the company from any responsibility, because it would be much more convenient for me to take the tiny risk that someone will snatch my box and I just have to reorder it than take a day off of work.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

cyberia posted:

I hate people who can't answer simple questions, especially when we're texting.

This is why I just ask direct yes or no questions - like "so do you want to go and get a drink?". Giving people options just prolongs the process. 9 times out of 10 they are going to do the "ok sure" thing, or just say "either one is fine, you pick". I can't remember the last time a friend (or family member for that matter) actually made a decision when I presented them with options.

This kind of indecisiveness is tremendously irritating with picking a restaurant. My mom and siblings are the worst about this - you ask what kind of food they are in the mood for, and it's always "I dunno" or "anything's fine, you pick". Then once you get there they start complaining about how they can never find anything they like here and on the way back they won't shut up about how bad their meal was. Maybe you should have suggested somewhere else then.

I also hate the vague "come here" emails at work (I get one like once a day from my current boss). It's almost always a very quick question that I could have answered faster than the 30 seconds it took me to walk to your office, or they just want me to look at something funny they found on the internet. I don't understand the aversion to just writing down your question or sending me a link. The latter I don't mind so much, except when they send it right after I head out of the office for the day and have to make the 30 minute trip back in just in case it's something important (they normally don't respond if I send an email asking if it's important). Why do I have to be in front of you to see/answer this?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tendai posted:

I don't know why, but the term "salty" used in terms of people being upset/mad just irritates the poo poo out of me. "Don't be so salty!"

(Countdown to someone saying "I don't know why you're so salty about it" or something similar commences... now)

My "salty" peeve is people who pop in to explain the origin of "salty". It's always "it comes from ____" then another goon pops in and says "ACTUALLYYY it's from this" and it keeps going on and on with people saying where they heard it first and none of them will accept that they could possibly be wrong (or, more importantly, that it doesn't loving matter).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Everyone wanting to do everything in the morning. Whenever I have to book an appointment for something, they always want to make it in the morning. Whenever anyone phones me it's in the morning. I don't want to have to be awake and functioning in the morning. Can't we just all agree that whatever needs doing can wait until after lunch?

I can sympathize if it's something like an 8 AM meeting, but I think anything between 10am-3pm should be fair game for meetings. Any earlier and half the people won't show up because "lol i overslept" and any later and people like me start getting antsy about getting home. I can't stand the people who have (by choice) a noon-8/9pm schedule and expect everyone to be cool about having an hour+ long meeting starting at 5pm. I like to have time to make dinner and actually do things during my evenings, I don't understand why most of my colleagues would rather be at work.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I've heard that saying a lot but never actually encounted it in real life, at least not as a serious statement. Some people do take it to the extreme and show up really obnoxiously early - like when I was a TA and had office hours and found a student camped outside my door 45 minutes before they started. It's weird. Being 5-10 minutes early is fine and I'd argue that's the ideal, but if you show up exactly on time it's just as good. I'd never encourage it though because eventually you'll get stuck in traffic or something and go from exactly on time to late, which is always bad.

Which brings me to one of my pet peeves: people who disagree with that last statement and honestly believe "fashionably late" is a good thing to be. I can understand it for informal group parties where your attendance doesn't effect anything, but for every other situation people do it in it's just annoying.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Related to the cat posts quoted above: people (especially common on these forums) who unjustifiably jump to the most controversial conclusion possible just to have an excuse to rage against someone.

vv I was talking about the people you were quoting, the ones that automatically jumped to the "outdoor cat owner" conclusion in response to your first post

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 06:51 on Oct 2, 2015

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Anyway, know what gets my goat? People who use acronyms without context. This is especially common among people who play games and stuff, but like I was always taught if you're going to use an acronym the first time you do you should either expand it, or explain it so people understand what the letters mean when you use them like five more times. So it kind of annoys me when I'm reading a topic and someone will just post something full of game specific jargon reduced to acronyms so no one else understands it.

In my experience the worst offenders for this are nurses and people in the military. When nurse friends tell work stories I just kind of play along pretending I get it because asking them what every third word is would just take too long.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'm pretty sure in most places if the light is green drivers are allowed to turn right (or left in your case) through a crosswalk as long as they yield to pedestrians. You do get idiots who just try and barrel through not realizing the crossing light is green too, so you do have to keep an eye out before you step into the intersection.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Counterpoint: delivery services that refuse to leave the package without a signature. I am willing to take the risk, just leave it there. It is ridiculous to expect me to take a day off of work every time I am expecting a package. DHL is the absolute worst for this. You can submit their forms saying you release all liability and tell them to leave it in front of the drat door, and you'll come back to a note saying "nope, couldn't do it, please reschedule". If somebody steals it, let me deal with it, just stop requiring me to stay home from work to make sure I'm there during your incredibly wide 7 am - 3 pm delivery window.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Even worse are the people who pop by right before you're about to go to work/shopping/anything that takes more than an hour and they say "oh ok, i'll just let myself out" and hang out at your place alone.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

What kind of heathen does this?

I don't know where they learn it, but apparently it happens often enough for a Seinfeld episode to be based on the occurrence. I had a couple friends in college who did that - I was about to go to class for the day and they wanted to just hang out and play my xbox/whatever.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My feed is flooded with "Shakeology" lately. One of my friends is a "coach" or whatever and she posts constantly about how she lost weight after having a baby etc.. but the shakes just seem entirely tangential to everything. You don't need the shakes, you just need to exercise and not eat a lot of calories. It's not some magic thing, you're just paying out the rear end to replace your calories with terrible tasting milkshakes. It's annoying because it's hard to be mad at her because she's a really nice person and it is great that she's happy and all, but trying to rope other people into the scam is kind of lovely.

I guess my annoyance is that people credit some MLM thing with their success when they succeeded in spite of the program, not because of it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Ozz81 posted:

I still think it applies - a fancy name is slapped on, a different way to watch portions/count calories, and a few celebrity endorsements and all of a sudden a diet magically works. The points are a way of saying "stop eating so much/so often" and guess what? You eat smaller portions less often, and you lose weight. It falls between fast food and making your own meal - the convenience of not having to cook or prep, but it's all pre-made, overpriced crap anyone could get at the supermarket and make themselves for cheaper. It just kills me that most of these people keep saying "I tried a million stupid fad diets and this is the only one that worked", when the only difference is how their stupid diet is presented to them.

There are Weight Watchers branded food, but you don't have to buy those. The only benefit buying them gives you is it tells you how much points they are on the box, instead of you having to look it up yourself. Yeah it's just a way of controlling portion size/calories, but some people need a dumb system like that to motivate them.

The difference between it and things like Nutrisystem and Medifast is those are basically food-replacement programs - you pay them a ton, they ship you all the food you are allowed to eat. Those kinds of systems work as long as you keep buying the cardboardy microwaveable food and only eat that, but the second you get off you bounce back and get heavier than when you started because they don't teach you anything about controlling calories/portion size.

Anyway, the latest thing that's really bugging me is spouses posting on the other one's facebook. My stepmom does it to my dad and my step brother's wife does it on his. When my brother starts posting sappy things in a writing style he has never used before and nurse memes or my dad starts sharing anything that isn't a minion meme or a cute animal youtube video, it's obviously not them. You aren't fooling anyone. Even worse is when they fish for gossip/information (to be fair only my stepmom does this) by pretending to be my dad and asking what I feel about whatever thing she's upset about.

That's another one - gossipers. I basically can't trust anyone in my immediate family with anything important/private because even if I make them swear to keep it between us, the second I hang up the phone they are going to be calling everyone else and filling them in on all the details. None of them understand why I get mad about this.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

Maybe they're trying to be polite. I have Facebook friends whose numbers are on Facebook, but I don't think I would use their numbers unless it was directly established that I could. Maybe I'm the weirdo here.

I think it's so rare lately that the issue hardly ever comes up. Maybe back when facebook was more exclusive on who could join people including me would put personal contact info up and not care if friends at the same college used it, but I don't know of any of my friends that have up to date address/phone/email information on their page. I think if it is there it's always best to check just in case it's no longer valid/they forgot to take it down.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People who go over the top when describing their dinner/recipes on the internet. You aren't writing a description on a restaurant menu, if it's a steak and mashed potatoes, just call it that. It doesn't make it more impressive when you type it as "well-seasoned grass-fed pan seared well marbled 100% American ribeye accompanied with a nice russet pomme puree, hand-selected from my organic garden". It is almost always done with pretty ordinary food where they are counting on "fancy" plating/photography and descriptions to make it seem more elevated than it really is. I guess excessive adjectives in general are my pet peeve. This makes places like GWS completely unbearable to me.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tendai posted:

We need a PYF-made cookbook. Every recipe is just "I don't know, throw like... some of this poo poo in a pot, cook it for awhile. What the gently caress do you want, a narrative?" or some variation thereof.

As long as it's not the opposite extreme of the try-hard fancy poo poo like that infamous "we do it live" chili "recipe". Almost every recipe posted online seems to either try way too hard to be fancy, or try way too hard to be funny. Both are terrible and I'd rather just read an old cook book that doesn't gently caress around and gives you the drat recipe and nothing more.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

artsy fartsy posted:

I hate when writers use non-verbal actions to indicate a character speaking.

"Yes," he smiled.

You can't smile a word.

"Yes," he said with a smile.

Or even: "Yes." He smiled.

And if anyone exclaims anything I just want to scream, although I'm not exactly sure why.

On a related note, I blame 50 ft ant for this: the word "snarled". It seemed like 75% of the sentences that guy wrote in his fake ghost posts were "he snarled."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I assume the book thing is to try and get people who are desperate to read it right away to pay the premium for the hard cover by making no other formats available at first.

On another media related subject, it is incredibly frustrating when a TV show you want to buy is not available anywhere online aside from illegally downloading it. I want to give you money and I don't want to buy a physical copy. Please let me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Our grocery store pharmacy now has large "5 item limit" signs for exactly that reason

Those signs don't deter anyone. You see people go into the 10 items or less lane all the time with 20+ things and say things like "i'm getting 10 of the same thing, it only counts as one item" etc if they ever get called out on it. People will just go to whatever the shortest line is because nobody ever enforces the rules so the worst they get is a few eye rolls and dirty looks their way.