Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fruity Gordo posted:

'NSW' is a funny way of spelling 'Australia'.

what is it with these stupid hyperbolic posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Avshalom posted:

I love Israel

its the only democracy in the middle east if u didnt know. in spite of years of constant attack, they still live up to their ideals of democracy and human rights. youll hear some people are criticising them but theyre pedophiles

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fruity Gordo posted:

what's the DEAL with auspol? - one of the goofiest posters in existence

i was just pointing out that you exaggerate to the point that you sound like a puerile idiot

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why is everyone in the news treating the new polling data as being good news for abbott. it's good new for the liberal party, sure, but they're only getting a boost because people are expecting and want turnbull to be leader; they seem the lnp moving in that direction and they approve. abbott's still coming in 3rd as preferred pm behind turnbull.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

open24hours posted:

The whole mortgage you can't afford thing just wreaks of victim blaming. Sure there are people who live far beyond their means, but houses are expensive and not everyone is rich.

then dont guy a house if you cant afford it. victim blaming my rear end

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
maybe he just likes feet

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the hipster bones connected to the, albonese

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lol

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Serrath posted:

Sorry, I meant for my question to be rhetorical. The system works this way because it's been engineered to work this way. To address the problems raised by this vascular surgeon, you'd need to change the culture and rules governing the profession. Until that happens, the system will remain exactly the same.

*eats chips*

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i might be moving into south yarra soon look out for the guy whos pissed himself ok. chers, ill be on punt road

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hiddenmovement posted:

Lie down in the center lane ty

i dont trust u becuase of ur avatar

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what's phonics exactly and why is it bad? i'd never heard of it until now and it's sort of weird that conservatives would be advocating for a particular language teaching strategy. you guys all say it's discredited but you don't say why.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Serrath posted:

Phonics is the act of teaching someone how to read by teaching the relationship that letter combinations have to the vocal sound they make (e.g., teaching that "ch" in all instances makes the "ch" sounds... actually this is hard to explain in text). The main criticism to this approach is that it divorces the "reading" of words from the meaning of words; you raise a generation of students who can read novel words relatively well but cannot place them in a larger language and grammatical context. The best educational models (as far as I'm aware) advocate for a phonics method to be taught alongside a "whole language" approach which involves teaching word context and definitions alongside novel words.

Interesting tidbit, I learned about the distinction between the two because a return to phonics education was one of the signature aspects of the "no child left behind" educational act in the US which was a major reform of the US education system by Bush II.

but not all letters/letter combos correspond to phonemes, and they leave prosody out. sounds like a useful component to language teaching but only a component. the novel word stuff sounds important though.

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 8, 2015

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

tony abbott should be shot and killed

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bifauxnen posted:

This was a really good post, I'm glad you made it even if ratbag ignores it completely.

why should he read a thing by any of you when just disagreeing with you leads to a demented string of embarrassing petulant meltdowns

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Murodese posted:

You know how we block tiring trolls? Why don't you just block people suggesting you shove cyanide up your rear end?

because blocking people is for precious little babies. it's what tearie little ultras do when someone disagrees with them.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kommando posted:

MARCH BRISGOON AUSPOL MEET

lol

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lol

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why the gently caress do they keep announcing things only to immediately backpedal? Like, I can buy the idea that they're being forced to backpedal on some of these issues under the weight of basic and obvious scrutiny but why hasn't Credlin or anyone made an effort to have them work through this poo poo in private and then have individual ministers announce things only when they know what the hell they're selling?

theyre idiots

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Graic Gabtar posted:

The boats were stopped and then the passengers and crew were sent back.

That would count as a boat being stopped.

kill urself! die!!

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Australia's a pretty good place to live in because its not a war torn country with milita gunning down people in the street but its also pretty hosed that we lock people up in indefinite detention if they live in a country where that happens and they just happen to come here on a boat and I can hold these two thoughts in my head together at the same time because I don't run every single thing people on the internet post through some kind of IF x THEN y boolean filter, seeing as human communication doesn't strictly follow the laws of computer logic

a reasonable post. agreed. but you didnt explain who you would like to kill themselves?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

god drat ur bland

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Also I haven't thoroughly skimmed the thread to make sure nobody has posted anything that might contradict me but I'm pretty sure nobody has said Australia is a poo poo country, I think what we have all been trying to say is that Australians are poo poo people and we should all kill ourselves, which I think is fairly uncontentious

some are good, some are ignorant and mean, some are actually bad people. our policies are plainly evil when it comes to refugees and aboriginals. we have a government that's a highly unpopular bunch of neoliberal blowhards. but there are resources to fix things. lavishly freaking out persuades no one and only makes change harder.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

katlington posted:

What does this mean? I don't know.

shouting and throwing tantrums instead of actually attempting to persuade. nobody will ever be moved from an opinion through brute force. sticking by your guns but at least trying to show some understanding for people who disagree with you will have them respect you, and once they respect you they'll start listening. calling them evil and bad people rarely achieves anything but greater recalcitrance.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SynthOrange posted:

Idk those Hitler, Pol Pot and Stalin guys did pretty well

yeesh

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

katlington posted:

Like, on these forums or in australian politics? I don't know what you're referring to. Unless you mean dog pulling some retard which is embarrassing but there was never any possibility for real discussion there.

here.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

FWIW any ASIO employees reading this should probably be aware that you're a poo poo person who directly enables the terrible crimes that australia commits. you're not just "doing your job". you picked it, you stuck with it as it turned out to be spying on (thus enabling worse, illegal harassment of) people trying to make the world a better place, and every day you wake up and decide that you'd rather be a part of the problem. every day you decide that your current short-term comfort is more important than doing the right thing, you're following in the footsteps of every criminal that ever lived. quit your loving job, it's not as hard as you think if you have a single ounce of morality left in you

an asio employee would skim this this and move on

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

actually the file is empty except for that single goonmeet photo and a crushed dried-out dog turd that the case handler found when he was using his asio powers to stalk and harass his now-married ex-girlfriend

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anidav posted:

I'm been reading up on the recent polls and I now firmly believe that the current spike in Coalition support is in anticipation for Turnbull PM.

agreed.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyTolradi posted:

What do you think ol' Shazza would think of this?

nice

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The spike was only really noticeable in one poll (the Fairfax / Ipsos one); Newspoll and Essential had a slight increase for the Coalition which disappeared. I think the Ipsos poll was rogue and the rest has been statistical noise.

every media outlet exaggerated the gently caress out of it though. abbott's recrudescence etc

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
bogans and old people

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
australia is like barely a law or two away from nazi germany

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

katlington posted:

The ridiculious camoflage, that's so we can say it wasn't us, right?

The only difference atm between australia and nazi germany is competence.

oh, definitely. very right on. the tone of our discourse is quite himmlerian. another liberal government, god knows what will happen. not to triviliase our prosition but perhaps we are at risk of a clivestallnach or 'night of long clives'?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pickled Tink posted:

Nice going there with your stigmatisation of mental illness. Person does X that I do not understand and has poor reasoning by my own exacting standards of logic, therefore they must be mentally ill (Because poor reasoning is incredibly rare, as we all know). The implication that gets hammered home by such reasoning is that mentally ill people are dangerous.

There are Australians who seriously believe that asylum seekers are illegal immigrants and should be shot to keep them away. That doesn't make them mentally ill. This thread is full of people who tell others to go kill themselves for disagreements ranging from large to petty, but if the people here are mentally ill it is definitely not the cause of that behaviour.

It is absolutely lazy to disregard this kind of thing as mental illness. It not help in the slightest, because you are not even considering the positions these people start out from and thereby not treating the problems (Disenfranchisement, persecution, etc) that cause radicalisation of these people.

Not only that, but you work further to stigmatise mental illness because you are synonymizing it with it "dangerous people who should be feared" thus preventing people with mental illnesses from seeking help from fear of the stigma. It is also a step towards bringing back the reasoning we managed to, at long last, ditch regarding the mentally ill: "Why should we help people who are dangerous? Why don't we just lock them up where they can't harm us?"

It is lazy thought I would expect from members of the liberal party, not alleged greens.

lol

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cpaf posted:

If I watched Sunrise every morning I'd also be comfortable with death

im like u, i watch very sophisticated stuff all the time, im awesome

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SadisTech posted:

haha yeah leave room for the valuable content such as

im drunk bro

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

starkebn posted:

But can you taste the difference between VB and XXXX?

theres this new cheap white in st kilda--and stark maybe aus wide brother!--that is 4 dollars not 6 like those pompopus clean skins.

xxxx is better than vb btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thatfatkid posted:

XXXX bitter is the best mainstream beer and i will fight anyone irl who disagrees.

i agree u fat piece of poo poo, shamblord pos, i tried it not long ago and its decent

• Locked thread