Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Cartoon posted:

Shock! Horror! It's a bad Tele Photoshop. The guy is called Spedding hence "Speddo's". It was fruit too low for team Tele to resist.

What the gently caress?

Edit: To contribute:

Abbott government scraps GP co-payment

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/abbott-government-scraps-gp-copayment-20150303-13thxg.html

quote:

The Abbott government's GP co-payment has been killed off for good with Heath Minister Sussan Ley telling Coalition MPs "we are not pursuing it at all".
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has made several attempts to wind back the widely loathed $7 fee - first announced in the 2014 May budget - in an attempt to mollify public concern.
But the Coalition has failed to garner enough support in the Senate to introduce the measure which was slated to begin this July.
Under the modified version announced last December, doctors would have faced a $5 cut to their Medicare rebates for some patients which they could choose to pass on in the form of higher fees.

Ms Ley will hold a media conference at 1.30pm (AEDT) in Canberra on Tuesday after taking the decision to dump the policy to the Coalition party room.
Fairfax Media understands Ms Ley told a meeting of Coalition MPs on Tuesday morning "we are not pursuing it at all".
But the government will push ahead with a planned freeze on indexation for all Medicare rebates to 2018, which is expected to save more than $1 billion over four years. It is understood Ms Ley had proposed the indexation freeze be shortened to two years, but cabinet insisted on a four-year freeze.

Fairfax Media understands the government will not immediately propose an alternative saving to make up for the $800 million which the $5 rebate cut was expected to have saved over four years.

Asked whether the GP co-payment was dead on Tuesday, a government MP replied "as a door nail".
The government has been under internal and external pressure to dump the GP co-payment for months.
Seven months ago, former treasurer Peter Costello urged the Liberals to recognise the measure would not pass the Parliament and move on. A trio of government backbenchers also pleaded for changes at the same time.
Before the end of the 2014 parliamentary year Mr Abbott promised to remove so-called "barnacles" plaguing the Coalition. This led to mass confusion stemming from his office about whether the measure was dumped or not.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

BloatedCorpse posted:

The national interest rate is set by the reserve bank which loans money to the other banks. They then loan out that money at whatever rate they want, which tends to hug the national rate pretty closely because if they had their rates too high then a competitor would undercut them and people would move their loans over to the competitor.

The RBA sets the cash rate which is the rate at which banks settle overnight loans with the RBA which is generally used for operational purposes such as settling accounts with the RBA.

That money isn't used by banks for funding loans for things like mortgages, personal loans, credit cards or business loans. Money for those purposes come from a variety of sources including short and long bonds (and also securitisation) but these funds come from the wholesale lending market. Funds from the wholesale market are usually available at the cash rate + a premium so when the RBA moves the cash rate, the change in cash rate can influence a change in the wholesale rate but there's no guarantee it will change. If it does change the wholesale funding rate, then a bank may choose to pass on (some or all) of the difference to the consumer or be greedy and don't change anything. Also if a bank's funding source is primarily, from foreign sources, then the cost of those funds would, in theory, be much less affected by movements in the Australian cash rate.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
My favourite part of a housing bubble is it may hit sometime soon after a labor government takes office federally, leading idiots(otherwise known as voters) to believe that was the cause and effect, firmly entrenching us in a thousand year reich under fuhrer Morrison with an austerity package harder to take than a suppository of all wisdom.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

No need to effort post, Cook Suck summed it up pretty well.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The whole mortgage you can't afford thing just reeks of victim blaming. Sure there are people who live far beyond their means, but houses are expensive and not everyone is rich.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 3, 2015

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

They are doubling down on the flags. EIGHT!!

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

open24hours posted:

The whole mortgage you can't afford thing just wreaks of victim blaming. Sure there are people who live far beyond their means, but houses are expensive and not everyone is rich.

then dont guy a house if you cant afford it. victim blaming my rear end

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

open24hours posted:

The whole mortgage you can't afford thing just wreaks of victim blaming. Sure there are people who live far beyond their means, but houses are expensive and not everyone is rich.

Are you serious?

I mean I know the whole borrowing money thing implies you cant afford a house, but if you actually cant afford the repayments, no one is holding a loving gun to your head to take on the loan.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Cartoon posted:

Shock! Horror! It's a bad Tele Photoshop. The guy is called Spedding hence "Speddo's". It was fruit too low for team Tele to resist.

I'm really looking forward to the Tele getting sued for libeahahahahahahahaha

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

TheMightyHandful posted:

They are doubling down on the flags. EIGHT!!

DEATH CULT DEATH CULT DEATH CULT

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cartoon posted:

Good christ that's something they can get done for, right?

:smith:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Laserface posted:

Are you serious?

I mean I know the whole borrowing money thing implies you cant afford a house, but if you actually cant afford the repayments, no one is holding a loving gun to your head to take on the loan.

When the alternatives are likely to lead to an even more miserable life than the one you get when you have a mortgage you can't afford they might as well be.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

National security update: death cult

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

katlington posted:

DEBT CULT DEBT CULT DEBT CULT

Props to Mad As Hell

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

tithin posted:

Good christ that's something they can get done for, right?

:smith:

Not read the article but defamation wouldn't be a stretch.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Murodese posted:

I want to watch the bubble burst and the Australian economy implode into a gaping black hole just because some men want to watch the world burn

I was on the train yesterday with a couple of guys in high-vis clothing, one bitching about how their wages haven't increased so they were struggling to meet the payments on their investment properties.

As in, plural of property.

There are going to be so many (former) CUB tears when the bubble bursts, especially seeing as the mining jobs are already stalling / disappearing.

e:

8 flags at Tony Abbott's press conference.

8 flags + 1 Prime Minister = 9

19 members of Cabinet - 8 flags = 11

therefore, LNP did 9/11, wake up sheeple!!!1111one :tinfoil:

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 3, 2015

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Up to 11 death cults now

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Abbott just said the US pulled out of Iraq with the job half done lol. It's funny watching him talk he, only gets animated when talking about death cult bad. Also given up trying to stop that tongue thing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How well must "death cult" have gone in focus groups? Spontaneous hate-boners for everyone present?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

open24hours posted:

When the alternatives are likely to lead to an even more miserable life than the one you get when you have a mortgage you can't afford they might as well be.

Renting really isn't that bad, honest.

But there is an element of victim blaming going on. We live in a culture that has hammered the notion of buying into your own home into its citizens since birth, and we shouldnt go around sneering at people because they aren't that economically educated, are worse off, or succumb to the weight of cultural pressures. I have a lot of friends/family that have dumb mortgages but I wont be sitting around all :smug: when the market goes belly up and they all get royally hosed over.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

The inquiry heard that a student came to Paterson in the late 1980s to complain a teacher, Damian Vance, had touched him inappropriately and asked him to engage in mutual masturbation. Paterson told the boy to go to the library and “think about what he was alleging”, he told the inquiry.

“He was a drama boy,” Paterson said as explanation for why he did not immediately believe the boy.

Good jorb.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Well how the gently caress are we supposed to feel better about our own banal lives if not by sneering at others

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

quote:

11:21am: Dr Paterson says he believed the boy. When Dr Paterson confronted Vance about the incident he made admissions.

When Lloyd asks whether groping and propositioning a boy was a serious matter, Dr Paterson replies: "I was not aware that it was a crime."

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Renting loving sucks especially if you want to settle in an area (i.e once you have kids that go to local schools) or you want to have pets at all.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

quote:

Paterson told the boy to go to the library and “think about what he was alleging”.

quote:

Dr Paterson replies: "I was not aware that it was a crime."

Ow. My head.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

"Catholic Headmaster does not realise offering sex to children is a crime." summarises why there is a Royal Commission into child abuse quite neatly.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

hooman posted:

"Catholic Headmaster does not realise offering sex to children is a crime." summarises why there is a Royal Commission into child abuse quite neatly.

Knox is actually Protestant (not that it makes it any better).

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Does anyone have a link to the Sussan Ley announcement?

I have just had another loving paper modelling the second part of Medicare part B accepted for publication. gently caress this Government - keep your policies long enough so that we can peer review them!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Adnar posted:

Renting loving sucks especially if you want to settle in an area (i.e once you have kids that go to local schools) or you want to have pets at all.

Cats are not really a good reason to go into crippling debt you cant afford.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
^^^ My cat is the only thing that keeps me sane. Granted I moved back with my parents after getting divorced and then going broke, and now stereotypically live in their garage, but I have my cat :3:

Where is this from? I need to find, and then get super angry, about this.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Ragingsheep posted:

Knox is actually Protestant (not that it makes it any better).

Royal Commissions have so far shown endemic child abuse in catholic, protestant, muslim, jewish and hindu conclaves. The theme seems to less be about a single religion as much as protecting their religion.

In others words: organised religion.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Freudian Slip posted:

Does anyone have a link to the Sussan Ley announcement?

I have just had another loving paper modelling the second part of Medicare part B accepted for publication. gently caress this Government - keep your policies long enough so that we can peer review them!

Still happening. Saying index will stay "paused" while she conducts "consultations."

e for last question Ley said she has now learned that rural healthcare is just as important as others :eek:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 3, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

markgreyam posted:

^^^ My cat is the only thing that keeps me sane. Granted I moved back with my parents after getting divorced and then going broke, and now stereotypically live in their garage, but I have my cat :3:

Oh yeah, my dog did the same when that happened to me, but My parents love her to bits and I know shes got a good home with them. I wouldnt buy a house just to keep her around anyway - every place I rented I just took her and didnt tell anyone and it was never an issue.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

markgreyam posted:

Where is this from? I need to find, and then get super angry, about this.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/03/former-knox-grammar-head-pupil-who-reported-sex-abuse-was-a-drama-boy

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Lid posted:

Royal Commissions have so far shown endemic child abuse in catholic, protestant, muslim, jewish and hindu conclaves. The theme seems to less be about a single religion as much as protecting their religion.

I kinda get the feeling that any badly supervised organization that had control over the welfare of children, secular or otherwise, would have run into these sorts of problems. Penn. State football team isn't really a religious organization and look at the diddling that went on there.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Lid posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/02/jehovahs-witnesses-silencing-techniques-child-abuse

quote:

But the Jehovah’s Witnesses make it a lot harder.

They have a “2 Witness” rule, which says that anyone who accuses an adult of abuse must have a second witness. If there is no second witness, the accuser is punished for a false accusation - usually by ordering that no Witness may talk with or associate with the “false” accuser.

:psyboom:

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Laserface posted:

Cats are not really a good reason to go into crippling debt you cant afford.

If only somehow there was a way people could buy a house that they could afford!

My mortgage costs me exactly the same as rent would (to the $$ almost), I pay a little more on top for taxes and strata.

How is renting better than that?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

katlington posted:

Still happening. Saying index will stay "paused" while she conducts "consultations."

e for last question Ley said she has now learned that rural healthcare is just as important as others :eek:

We have had three major health policy announcements in less than 6 months. About 2 months apart. Peer review process takes about 2 months if its quick - let alone the time it takes to run a study and write it up.

Just further proof this Government doesn't support good science

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Freudian Slip posted:

Just further proof this Government doesn't support good science

This Changes Everything has to be the most depressing book I've read (am in the middle of reading)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Adnar posted:

If only somehow there was a way people could buy a house that they could afford!

My mortgage costs me exactly the same as rent would (to the $$ almost), I pay a little more on top for taxes and strata.

How is renting better than that?

*walks into a conversation about people taking mortgages they can't afford*
I can afford my mortgage, why would anyone rent!

• Locked thread