Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-01/lambie-threatened-with-beheading/6271732

ABC posted:

Jacqui Lambie receives beheading threat, ordering her to help implement Sharia law in Australia
By Tyson Shine

A letter containing a threat to behead Tasmanian senator Jacqui Lambie unless she helps implement Sharia law in Australia has sparked a security assessment at the outspoken independent's office.

The letter was received at the senator's Burnie office last week and included threats to behead the former Palmer United Party member unless she converted to Islam and helped implement Sharia law by March 18.

It was accompanied by graphic images of a man being beheaded, which prompted the senator's office to treat the threats seriously.

"By the powers invested in me by Allah, I sentence you to death," the letter said.

"I will take the honour in beheading you ... when you are least prepared; my men and I will take your office by surprise."

Senator Lambie has been a vocal critic of Islamic Sharia law, but she said the death-threats would not deter her.

"I have no doubt that it is my stance against Sharia Law and my questions on Halal that are going on at the moment," she said.

"The bottom line is that we are at war with ISIS and we are just going to have to be extremely cautious."

She said the matter had been handed over to the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and Tasmania Police.

"I'm ex-Army so I guess that I'm always very consious about what's going on around me and what's happening in my environment so I'll just continue to be on that sort of high alert and just lift that a little bit more," she said.

The staff member that recieved that letter has been offered some counselling.

"At this stage she hasn't taken up that offer but that offer will always be open to here and any of my other staff."

The senator said she would continue to go about her business as a senator undeterred.

"I will continue to advocate for a ban on Sharia Law, unnecessary face coverings in public and tighter regulation of Halal certification fees in Australia - and to have those Australian Citizens who assist Islamic State in any way, charged with the high crimes of Sedition or Treason."

A personal security assessment is being done to ensure the safety of Senator Lambie following the letter, the spokesman said.

The letter specifically mentioned a controversial proposal to build a mosque at Green Fields in Adelaide's northern suburbs.

Senator Lambie said the threat to her life would not help the proponents of the mosque.

"If they think that's way of going around to get a mosque in Adelaide by threatening my life then I tell you what, they're certainly going in the wrong direction," she said.

The senator conceded the death threat could be a hoax but she said she was taking it very seriously.

"This is what we're waiting for AFP to determine and I can't do anything else apart from get on with my daily life until that's been determined," she said.

Tasmania police has been contacted for comment.

Hmm yes this letter seems legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Cartoon posted:

Over reach is when you get the ATO to contemplate industrial action. ASIO and the AFP may be the King and Ace of Spades but the ATO is the whole loving suit of diamonds. A week long strike at the ATO amounts to ~ 1/100th of the annual revenue not collected. Yes it might get collected later but that page on the balance sheet will remain blank forever.

Ahahaha considering how meekly ATO workers took the last lovely agreement, which got voted down, then accepted on the second vote because separate productivity-based bonus payments were included and people were like :qq: we're not going to get anything better, they must be loving up something awful to get ATO to consider striking.

I wonder if the CPSU and ASU forums are still viewable, they were loving amazing to read in the lead up to and after the deal. So many tears.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

katlington posted:

DEBT CULT DEBT CULT DEBT CULT

Props to Mad As Hell

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

So uh anyone else watched the new friendlyjordies? It's talking about a method of farming that offers a really simple answer to land turning to desert, proven techniques to reverse it which would also make a massive impact on climate change -- to the point where it could bring atmospheric CO2 levels back to pre-industrial levels while increasing food production.

Jordies for ref
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=durydz6Fh9M

Here's the ted talk he's referencing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTHi7O66pI

Having watched both I'm just kinda marinating at the moment and trying to find out more info.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Anidav posted:

Battletoads

That didn't take long at all.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

hey instead of taking photos and asking him if he wants to hang out at your place and play frogger you should probably maybe yell poo poo at him and not let him spend a minute of his pathetic life unimpeded by the reminder that he is a torturer and a murderer. and when he says "who are you, give me your name, i will have you fired for this" you can just laugh in his stupid bookworm face because you're Anidav, Terrible and Unemployed Human Being

Two days later the headlines are:

UNEMPLOYED WELFARE QUEEN STUDENTS
TOO BUSY PROTESTING TO LOOK FOR WORK

and anidav's payments are mysteriously cut.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

SynthOrange posted:

Computer google 'I want to destroy australia but think ISIS is a bad idea who do I join'

Gotcha covered bro

https://lnp.org.au/

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Murodese posted:

Pretty boring av there Graic. One of yours?

Doubtful. Holy poo poo that is a boring avatar, mystery buyer should be ashamed.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Birb Katter posted:

I still don't know your mums name btw. Tell her I said hello though.

Endma'am

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Friday night kill you are self fuel.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Pickled Tink posted:

I've been busy trying to stay awake and reading the Girl Genius archives again in a desperate attempt to reset my sleeping patterns to something sane, rather than my current "Is asleep for 16-20 hours a day" situation. As such, I apologise for being late on getting you your fix of your beloved first dog.

I'd stay away from First Dog too if I wanted to stay awake. :haw:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

tithin posted:

Petition to have this become the background music any time Christopher Pyne tries to speak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imn3HoDZXrw

It's perfect. I've had this playing while making dinner and it's strangely appropriate.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

duck monster posted:

The problem is Joe has also bee proposing raiding super for unemployment money and poo poo as well. Which is *loving reckless*

When/where has he proposed raiding Super for unemployment?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

HEY DUCKMONSTER

Tommofork posted:

When/where has he proposed raiding Super for unemployment?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Gough Suppressant posted:

Step 1) stop engaging with graic crabgat

That's step 2. Step 1 is don't specifically invite graic to give an opinion.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Anidav posted:

I find it kind of disrespectful and it makes the parents look like greedy fuckers?

lmao you're going to tell the parents of Daniel Marcombe that what they do is disrespectful to Daniel's memory? Also he vanished in Dec 2003, I agree that waiting 11 and a bit years to make a movie definitely marks them as greedy fuckers, especially as it's only been about a full year since Brett Cowan was found guilty of his murder.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Game of Thrones isn't on Netflix lol.

Actually it's because the other local streaming services like Quickflix are trash with lovely range.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HfBwVee6Ao

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

euler posted:

I would love if public servants started a good work strike. The ATO could write off some taxes owed by low income individuals, Centrelink workers could ignore any messages from JSA's to cut off recipients.

A go-slow would punish a lot of the wrong people, I feel, although it would probably work for the ATO.

Errr no if the ATO workers did a go-slow they wouldn't write off debts as the integrity of the system is way too serious to gently caress around with, they'd just do their work at a snails pace which tbf would drive their KPI obsessed management to suicide so win-win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

euler posted:

That might be true but I wasn't suggesting they would write of debts as part of a go-slow. That doesn't make sense.

Oh right you just meant doing it as general industrial action not a go slow. ATO workers could definitely do a go slow or walk off the job. They couldn't/wouldn't gently caress around with how much tax people have to pay though.

• Locked thread