Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tommofork posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-01/lambie-threatened-with-beheading/6271732

quote:

"By the powers invested in me by Allah, I sentence you to death," the letter said.
Hmm yes this letter seems legit.

Wait a loving second. "By the powers invested in me by " isn't that what they say in TV weddings?

quote:

By the powers invested in me by the state of Colorado, I hereby pronounce you husband and wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gough Suppressant posted:

hahahaha the idea of women being beheaded is really funny

Threats of violence are never okay.

But that in no way means I have to believe for a loving second this one is anything other than bullshit sent by some massive loving bigot "for the cause".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Yeah, why would anyone take issue with claims of a death threat being greeted with the immediate assumption that it was the person themselves creating a false threat lighten up geeze :rolleyes:

Oh, take your hand off it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Fruity Gordo posted:

And far right white supremacists love doing actual false flags and are continually trying to incite race riots?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Senor Tron posted:

Just follow your nose.

drat right, I'm always morbidly curious when looking at cracked and bent ones wondering who it was that lost the fight against it.

I had no idea what a stobie pole was, and when I saw this post did a search for "stobie pole crash"

That's a whole lotta cars cut in half. Goddamn.

:stonk:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Birb Katter posted:

Apparently TPP is 49-51 LNP / Lab. Oh, the leftist media has been waging jihad against the LNP

Can someone tell what exactly is the "leftist media" in this country anyway?

The ABS and SBS, okay sure. They're also the only TV news which isn't utter crap.

But what else? Anything?

Tommofork posted:

So uh anyone else watched the new friendlyjordies? It's talking about a method of farming that offers a really simple answer to land turning to desert, proven techniques to reverse it which would also make a massive impact on climate change -- to the point where it could bring atmospheric CO2 levels back to pre-industrial levels while increasing food production.

Jordies for ref
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=durydz6Fh9M

Here's the ted talk he's referencing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTHi7O66pI

Having watched both I'm just kinda marinating at the moment and trying to find out more info.

Post it here when you do, please. This seems like the good stuff.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Mithranderp posted:

Turning back the boats is a moral and legal failure, say academics:

"Irregular migrant numbers in countries like Austria (70,000 a year) – where Schloenhardt spends half the year as a research fellow at the University of Vienna – dwarf Australia even at its 2013 peak of 20,587."

So, less than one refugee per thousand Australians?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Fruity Gordo posted:

The bit where he forced him to say thank you actually made me cry, I was so loving angry. It was just so cruel.

It was a textbook depiction of revictimisation of victims of crime, and it's not the first time he's done. Remember when he asked a woman who had been raped as a six year old if she had provoked it? And of course ACMA did jack and poo poo about it then.

The saddest thing about it this is that Laws isn't even exceptional in his horrible loving views. It's pretty much "standard response 101" if you lived through this sort of thing before the last couple of decades.

If you were a kid and you tried to report that someone had raped or molested you, you were looking at either being dismissed outright, called a liar, blamed for it or simply have your life ruined. Get called a human being by your parents and be ostracised by everyone. "Why would you tell such horrible lies?" "What's wrong with you?" Maybe even get beaten up on the streets or at school because no one likes a dirty poofta.

Kids complain about not having rights now, but back then having the poo poo beaten out of you simply didn't even raise eyebrows. If you were lucky, visible scarring or a broken arm could get a "Dial it back a bit, eh?" from a doctor or a cop. Sexual assaults? No, they simply didn't happen. Let's all close our eyes and pretend we don't hear the screams.

The Pedogeddon thread is currently showing the breathtaking evils that happened in the UK over the last 50 years. The extent is beyond words.

As I said when the truth about Jimmy Saville first came out - no one survived the seventies unscarred.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 21, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Laserface posted:

I find it hilarious that they all say they are going to ease congestion on sydneys roads.

Like unless you literally triple the capacity of every major road you arent changing a loving thing.

Build more bridges, then. Over the roads. Make all highways triple deckers. Problem solved :colbert:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Isn't there an argument to be made that privatising the electricity network is a good idea because it's a depreciating asset that's tied to a dying industry (fossil fuels), and that they could (won't ever) put the sales profits into renewables and other decentralised off-the-grid power sources?

[nerd post incoming]

I have two fundamental problems with privatising an essential service like power.

The first is that it's essential. The second is that it's a service.

It's nice when a government asset makes a profit, but that's not why they exist. They exist to serve the public and make our country run. When the government owns infrastructure, they tend to over build (yeah, once upon a loving time). So, if there's a sudden or sustained increased need for that service, they can cope.

But private enterprises don't do this. For one simple reason - they don't exist to make products or provide services.

If you ask someone what Ford does, they'll probably tell you they make cars. If you ask someone what Microsoft does, they'll probably tell you they make computer software and peripherals.

They're both wrong.

Ford, Microsoft and every other publicly listed company exist for one reason. To make money.

Ford makes money by selling cars. Microsoft makes money by selling computer software and peripherals. And so on.

Now, this is where most people jump in saying this is a pedantic distinction.

They're wrong about that, too.

Because remember those privately owned power companies? They're not there to provide all homes and businesses with a high quality, uninterrupted supply of electricity. They're only there to make money, too.

But what does this mean? Why bring it up?

For that we need to look no further than the California Electricity Crisis. Remember Enron? This is what they did in a nutshell:

quote:

California had an installed generating capacity of 45GW. At the time of the blackouts, demand was 28GW. A demand supply gap was created by energy companies, mainly Enron, to create an artificial shortage. Energy traders took power plants offline for maintenance in days of peak demand to increase the price. Traders were thus able to sell power at premium prices, sometimes up to a factor of 20 times its normal value.

The people of California thought Enron was there to power their homes, their streets, their businesses. They were wrong.

They deliberately shut down power stations to increase the price of electricity and increase their profits. Now, Enron did this in an hilariously illegal manner, but there are still ways private companies can gently caress an entire state and kill whole loads of people and never break a single law.

Imagine you're in Sydney and it's another of those killer summers, with temperatures over 40Ί all week. Bet you enjoy your electricity supply right now, hey?

But the Abbot/Pyne Power For 1000 Years PTY LTD Electrical Company sees that the price for electricity in Victoria is currently 3% higher than NSW prices. So what do they do? They send their power south and make a tidy bit of extra profit while Sydney suffers rolling brown outs. Heatstroke kills a bunch of young, sick and elderly people. Businesses are strained, some fail. Everyone's lives in Sydney sucks that little bit more.

The Abbot/Pyne Power Co. returns higher than expected profits that quarter. Shareholders are pleased.

THIS is why privatising an essential service is bad.

Companies aren't good or bad. That's not what I'm trying to say here. They're only the means whereby shareholders make money. You don't blame a scorpion for biting you. But you sure as hell don't trust your country's infrastructure to one either.

Government infrastructure exists only to serve the people. Because they're massively loving important and should never be defined by something so goddamn nearsighted as short-term profit when they are the backbone on which our entire nation is built.

There are some things which should only ever be the province of the state. Some things are more important than immediate profits. Some things that should get politicians hung from street lights when they try to gently caress with them to score cheap ideological points.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 23, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

tomkash posted:

Don't forget those who work nightshifts either, everyone who doesn't work 9-5 Monday to Friday just got a pay cut. Nightshift penalty rates are extremely important, not many people appreciate how much it can gently caress up your life working opposite hours to everybody else. Having to work weekends is bad enough but waking up after your partner goes to work and getting home after they are in bed, to use the most common example really really sucks.

I have friends who work both Saturdays and Sundays because the time and a half means they effectively get an entire extra day's pay. For some this means an increase in their quality of life because they no longer have to worry so much about every bill. For others it means they only need to work four days a week and can spend an extra day at home taking care of their small children. But for all of them, the extra money is the only reason they chose to work weekends.

I mean, gently caress, why else would you work weird hours?

They're so lucky right now they live in Victoria, but those days are numbered.

With the SDA being scum, what's a good union for poor retail bastards to join?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

asio posted:

I dodged having to join SDA once because there was technically a small amount of tradesman style work involved that fell under the old Misc union so I stuck with United Voice from my hospitality days.

Has a look at UV website:

Sounds good. I'm not sure if they cover retail workers though. I'll send my friends a link anyway because they're already getting nervous.

Thanks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

asio posted:

They don't cover retail workers. They do however cover everyone from Short Order Cook to Hand-Setter (Mechanical Clocks) so you have to find something like that. They don't mind drawing long bows.

I can remember someone once said there was another union retail workers could join besides the useless SDA. I think it was the NUW but finding which unions cover which jobs is surprisingly difficult. Most links lead to the ACTU - Which union for your job? page which lists all the unions but doesn't specify which unions do what.

Sure, with a lot of them it's easy to figure out. Aust. Education Union, Aust Writers' Guild, Rail Tram and Bus Union, and so on.

Google tells me more than 1.2 million people work retail in this country, surely they have someone willing to give them a voice?

Mind you, I realise at this point I've probably spent more effort thinking about this today than most of the people working retail have. When you're young you just don't give a poo poo about this. Only once you're old enough to have been hosed over a few times do you realise how important it is to have someone in your corner. By then most have moved on to other jobs.

But that's changing now, more and more. Go into a fast food joint or a servo and odds are the person behind the counter will be over 30.

Anidav posted:

Yes, A union knifed them and Labor came out supporting the Union publicly.

New Matilda had this article:

quote:

Under the agreement the Sunday pay rate - which is normally double the base-rate - would drop to time and a half, while public holiday penalty rates would drop from double time and a half down to double time.

In exchange, workers would receive a guaranteed annual pay rise of three per cent, plus “an upfront pay rise of $60 per week, which is about 8 per cent,” Malinauskas said.

The union secretary also said the deal recognised the importance of penalty rates to casual workers because rather than the Sunday cut from double time to time and a half, they would receive 175 per cent loading.

Not quite as horrible as I thought. But the first comment (yeah, I know, reading comments) points out "Once penalty rates are gone what guarantees the wage rates in the long term?"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Graic Gabtar posted:

Completely OT but I'd be interested in any follow up thoughts you had on you power privatization piece.

At its core, my position is pretty simple. Companies, like governments, can't be trusted to do the right thing on their own. After all, that's the whole point of a bicameral legislature and an independent judiciary - it acknowledges the fact that people can be really scummy and we need to keep an eye on them, especially when they hold our well-being in their hands.

In a democracy, 'we the people' have ways of punishing governments who do the wrong thing. Sadly, not so much when it comes to the big companies.

Things like power, water, sewerage, healthcare, education, prisons, roads and communications should be in the hands of publicly elected officials. At the very least, their backbones should be, with companies handling the smaller day to day stuff, where appropriate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Things you don't need a police check for: becoming a member of parliament

Why should you :shrug:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Splode posted:

Yes, but it could be used to prevent green candidates from running after they've been arrested fifty times for protesting.

It's the same with voting, IMO.

Stop a corrupt state gaming the system any more than they already do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Good news everyone.

quote:

He would also seek to revive Zoe's law, a bill that stalled in the upper house last year and would have granted the legal status of "personhood" to unborn children.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-state...329-1maag9.html

Maybe one day Fred Nile will be brave enough to step forward and fight for the right of women to be considered people.

• Locked thread