Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Laserface posted:

What the gently caress? do you live in a studio with a 90min commute to civilization?

When I bought my first place in 2009, it was 15 minutes from Perth and I did so on a $55k salary at 80% LVR.
Now it's rented out with the rent covering the mortgage and the other expenses.

So I'm not sure why people are counting things in 20-30 year horizons because that property sure as poo poo doesn't cost a whole lot to hold on to. And 5 years of mortgage payments are already covered by capital gains (it was valued when buying the next place)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I did that to my tenants once, 2months into a 6 month lease told them to get out.

In WA it just requires 67 days notice

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lol, that would be a rogue (or fake) poll if it turns out to be true. They never swing that far, unless there was a scandal involving bob swindler that we didn't notice

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I just found out that the last first dog someone posted was taglined "First Dog: Facts about how data retention is bad in an easy and fun to consume format"

I think we all missed the joke

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Gough Suppressant posted:

The no reappointment rule is just more proof that labor offering positions to conservatives is loving idiotic because it never results in reciprocity when the other side wins power.

If the coalition is going to be spiteful to the point of cutting off their own nose just appoint enough coalition directors just to poison their best people with possiblity of "left wing bias"

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Although after 6 months of it you are meant to be made a full-time on-payroll employee.

If they don't do this they are opening themselves up to you taking them to court for back super/holidays for the time you worked for them.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Orkin Mang posted:

why should he read a thing by any of you when just disagreeing with you leads to a demented string of embarrassing petulant meltdowns

This

Not once did he answer a question or even address a point made by anyone in a reasoned way.
Since it's a troll account I'm betting its one of the regulars from here having fun making you all poo poo the bed

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Popes been off his game for a week or so, maybe it's true that Abbott is beyond parody.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Wow. That's amazing

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Endman posted:

I'm fairly sure the point of the graph is to demonstrate the unsustainability of building so many new residences without the jobs for people to pay for them.

It's a little bit simplistic to say that without including the data on the increase in and ageing of the population or number of those builds that are replacing old stock.

As people retire those old people still live somewhere and their replacement in the workforce isn't really counted as a "new job" either.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-23/coal-mines-have-buckleys-chance-as-china-cuts-consumption/6341996

Something something coal something something future....

Although I guess this means that local coal prices will fall pretty hard, making it next to impossible to break our economy's dependence on it. If only we had some sort of policy framework to encourage de-carbonisation and development of replacement infrastructure.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Pretty sure it's just nature preparing to wipe out Australians

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Nah we'll just burn wood instead

http://theconversation.com/burning-wood-for-electricity-new-demands-new-questions-37954

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Zenithe posted:

Not auspol, but you get a free month of netflix, with apparently no commitments if you cancel before your month. Just signed up, gonna see what the fuss is about.

And if you are with iinet they are running a competition for a $4k TV if you use their referral link.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Tinned stuff is heaps cheaper, stores longer, and is perfectly adequate for casseroles and sauces and stuff.

And they are already peeled, saving a bunch of messing around

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Was he trying to make the chamber more appealing to the LNP or something?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I thought the Abbott point exports were going to be thermal coal rather than coking coal

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

CrazyTolradi posted:

If Facebook Messaging is all you need to get around metadata retention, seriously, wtf?

Or even just iMessage, it encrypts the session and doesn't run through AU servers.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

QUACKTASTIC posted:

It'll probably miss everything outside of typing "torrent chappie please" into google.

Did you notice the https:// thing in your browser bar for google.com?

Unless they pass a law asking google to store all search results as part of the law then once again - subpoena required.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The only legit Australian broadcaster is Foxtel. You have to get their Foxtel go thing and the movie package. It's about $30/month right now, but that's a promo price down from $50/month

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The other option is the aforementioned VPN and getting hbo's streaming service

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I really do try to read first dog, and I used to really like it.

These days my brain shuts down before I get to the third panel.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Yes

It adds an extra hop to all of your communications. Potentially more than doubling latency.

Edit: for clarity - latency is not bandwidth it is just the time it takes "on the wire" which will not affect your top speed. Unfortunately the bulk of network traffic is not large file transfers so adding 200ms latency to a file that takes 80ms to download will make things slower.

norp fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 27, 2015

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Kat Delacour posted:

I'm pretty sure they had a forced migration to @outlook.com - you had to go out of your way to keep a hotmail alias. A new brand of special there.

I can't imagine they would never remove the @hotmail alias, just that you wouldn't be able to sign up anymore.
The fact that thousands of websites use email address as an unchangeable username makes this equivalent to just turning it off.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

We were glad to pull out of the running to give the rest of you a chance

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Because you need 15 people on the ballot to be a party.

Are you loving serious? Why?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

What happens with independents then?

Also the answer is obviously
Atl: minimum x (3?)
Btl: minimum 15

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Awesome, so anyone with a home loan can avoid this tax with a few clicks in netbank and anyone living paycheck to paycheck has to pay it.

Good work guys.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you're living paycheck to paycheck how much is this actually going to cost you?

Yeah sorry, I didn't put a lot of effort into that comparison.

What I meant is that someone with an offset account would get charged this on their "deposits" in the offset BUT they generally also have free redraw so it's trivial to move their balance to the other ledger where it won't count as a deposit.
What I was getting at was that the only people who have to pay this tax will be those with no net debt on their personal balance sheet. First thing that came to mind was people living hand to mouth, but retirees commonly have large cash balances to avoid risk which would have been the better example.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

chyaroh posted:

To be hideously flippant, would that mean the LNP would *remove* the GST from female sanitary products?

Speaking of...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-30/gst-quiz/6358594

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Cleretic posted:

I got 40%, albeit most of that was guessing.

Got 80%, the yoghurt and percentage of income got me.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-31/perth-couple-denied-jobs-by-oms-mua-awarded-750000-dollars/6361096

quote:

Perth couple awarded $720,000 after they were refused jobs for being non-union
By Graeme Powell

Updated 15 minutes ago

A Perth couple has been awarded more than $720,000 in compensation for being refused jobs because they were not union members.

The Federal Court ordered Offshore Marine Services (OMS), now called Skilled Offshore, and the Maritime Union of Australia (MUA) to pay the couple more than $350,000 each.

Bruce and Lynne Love were promised offshore jobs as a steward and a cleaner with OMS in 2009 with combined wages of $220,000 providing they completed training and joined the MUA.

However, the couple in their 50s were denied membership twice before the jobs were given to existing union members.

The Fair Work Ombudsman took legal action against both OMS and the MUA in June 2011.

In May 2012, OMS was fined $7,500 by the Federal Court after admitting its role, but the MUA denied liability and defended the allegations.

Justice John Gilmore ruled the MUA breached the Workplace Relations Act by bullying the hire firm not to employ the couple.

The judge said that the MUA's conduct "involved its blatant use of illegitimate industrial action power to bully OMS" into refusing to employ the couple.

Under workplace laws it is unlawful for an employer to refuse to employ a person based on whether the person is a member of a union.

Enforcing a closed shop is totally unacceptable in today's workplace environment.
Mark Davidson

Justice Gilmour also found that the MUA's actions deprived the couple of the opportunity to gain well-paid employment "at a critical time of their lives", and that OMS "succumbed" to union threats of industrial action, even though it wanted to employ the couple.

He noted that "engaging in conduct with an intention to enforce a closed shop" on the West Australian waterfront was "objectively serious".

"The penalties must be sufficient to deter the MUA from engaging in further unlawful conduct of this type," he said.

The MUA was also fined more than $79,000.

The union has been contacted for comment.

'Closed shop' totally unacceptable: Fair Work

The Fair Work Ombudsman's director of legal practices, Mark Davidson, said the court was clear in its message.

"I think it sends a very strong message in respect of this type of behaviour that only employing somebody because they are a member of a union is not acceptable," he said.

"Enforcing a closed shop is totally unacceptable in today's workplace environment."

He said he was not surprised by the extent of the compensation.

"The compensation that we saw was to cover Mr and Mrs Love for lost wages over a period of five years for Mrs Love and six years for Mr Love," he said.

"I would imagine that they would be satisfied that they have received compensation for what they would've otherwise received in that period of time."

Fair Work Ombudsman Natalie James agreed the court's decision sent a strong message.

"Employees have the right to join or not join a union and this should not have any bearing on their ability to seek paid employment," she said.

It sounds like they actually tried to join the union, I wonder why they were denied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Are you drunk Craig? I had a lot of trouble parsing that last line.

• Locked thread