Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
George Brandis keeps being asked about questions on the existence of documents documenting Australia making a deal with Japan over submarines. He won't answer the question on the existence of the documents and keeps only saying no deal exists and then trying to attack Labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Comstar posted:

QANDA first question: 1% of the world owns 48% of the wealth. How can fix that?
Random person who is on the show for some reason: I don't believe that figure, who said that?
QANDA first question: Credit Swisse.
Random person who is on the show for some reason who clearly didn't want to hear the answer: I don't believe that number means anything...

I stopped watching TV at that point.

In other news, I hope the ABC keeps showing Mad As Hell in their actual news segments.

If it was a man it was Josh Frydenberg (assistant treasurer), if it was a woman it was Trisha Jha (from the Centre for Independent Studies libertarian think tank).

Edit: lol at this qanda profile

quote:

Trisha Jha

Trisha Jha joined the Centre for Independent Studies as a policy analyst in the Social Foundations program in August 2013. Her research has been in social policy, with a particular focus on the family payments system and childcare policy. Her latest reports on those topics were Complex Family Payments: What it Costs the Village to Raise a Child and Regulating for Quality in Childcare: The Evidence Base. Forthcoming research will be primarily on education and schools policy.

Trisha holds a Bachelor of Arts in International Relations from the Australian National University. She has a strong interest in classical liberal ideas, particularly in free speech and freedom of expression, and other civil liberties issues.

Besides her areas of policy expertise Trisha engages in discussions on the issues of the day across a variety of publications and media. She is actively involved in Australia’s small but growing libertarian community.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Gough Suppressant posted:

The only people dumber than those on Q&A are those watching it

remember that time Slavoj Zizek was on it

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Ragingsheep posted:

Knox is actually Protestant (not that it makes it any better).

Royal Commissions have so far shown endemic child abuse in catholic, protestant, muslim, jewish and hindu conclaves. The theme seems to less be about a single religion as much as protecting their religion.

In others words: organised religion.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

SynthOrange posted:

Bad science is a lot like a bad government or a bad husband...

Run by Tony Abbott?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

The Australian Jewish News has denied sacking a senior journalist who helped the royal commission into institutional responses to child sexual abuse by supplying a damaging text message from a senior rabbi.

Adam Kamien was made redundant after nine years on the paper – including a stint as acting editor – after a text message he passed on to the commission resulted in the resignation of Rabbi Meir Shlomo Kluwgant.

Yep

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Rougey posted:

ALP becomes the new right, Greens the new left.

And in fifty years time, the Greens will become the new right party :haw:

Have unironically heard that the Greens empowerment of government and restrictions is comparable to fascism and loss of freedom. Greens are far right wing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Drugs posted:

vaccinations cause autism

:science: The MMR vaccine causes autism, according to the martyr Andrew Wakefield who may have been trying to patent his own vaccine that did not cause autism because of his research.

What do you mean he's guilty of murder?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...medium=Facebook

“I know brickies who live in $7 million homes,” he said.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

SynthOrange posted:

Alternative therapy advocate kills herself, her mother with placebos. lol

Why doesn't the media report on the people who die while undergoing chemotherapy every day? - An essentially identical comment to one on The Guardian. Actually several. Actually The Guardian commentators are insane in the complete opposite direction.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
time to add some more respectability to the much maligned and misunderstood greyhound industry.

quote:

A GREYHOUND trainer who tried to throw his dog over a 2m fence to escape the track before punching the club ­manager in the face is fighting a lengthy ban from the sport.

The violent incident comes after revelations of widespread live baiting exposed the seamy underbelly of the sport last month.

Reefton trainer Anthony Kent has been disqualified from greyhound racing for 15 years after being found guilty of a tirade at a Bendigo racing track in which he was accused of threatening a female steward and using foul language.

He is now contesting the decision before the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, claiming he was falsely imprisoned by racing staff ­before he attacked Bendigo Greyhound Racing Association manager Troy Harley on August 27 last year.

Mr Kent is due to face ­Bendigo Magistrates’ Court on April 9 over the assault and the tribunal challenge has been delayed until after the defiant trainer’s court appearance.

The Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board found Mr Kent had punched Mr Harley in the face with a closed fist before threatening GRV steward Christine Gent by telling her: “I’m coming back to see you.”

A decision published after the December 9 hearing said the statement was delivered in an “intimidating manner” ­towards Ms Gent.

A later hearing found Mr Kent had tried to remove his dog, Pirate Arcade, from the kennel area by throwing it over the fence.

He was banned for a total of 15 years and fined $2000 ­following both inquiries.

Mr Kent later told the Herald Sun he had been blocked from leaving and he picked up his dog in a bid to escape.

“They locked me in the ­kennel area. I was detained for 10 minutes,” he said.

The challenge unfolds at a time when the industry is battling to reclaim its integrity after vision was aired of possums, rabbits and piglets being gored by dogs in a bid by top trainers to improve the performance of their greyhounds.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

Child protection whistleblowers who alerted the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) to child sexual abuse, violence and self-harm on Nauru are being investigated by the Australian federal police.

Guardian Australia has discovered the AFP has been asked by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to investigate Save the Children staff who anonymously wrote a submission to the commission’s inquiry, outlining cases of sexual and physical abuse of children, and acts of self-harm.

Moving on from Gillian Triggs lets investigate the others kicking up a fuss.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
We all agree we are going to vote against the retrospective education [bill]. Why are we going to do it? This report tells us we should, because we are number one in the world. There’s a million students going to tertiary education in this country. There’s a million more that’s about to go, and a million more that’s just left. They’ve all got parents.

So commit suicide Tony Abbott, you know.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Welp

quote:

Former Knox Grammar headmaster Dr Ian Paterson has admitted he deliberately tried to hinder a police investigation into abuse at the school and that he tried to cover-up allegations against a teacher..

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Gough Suppressant posted:

What are the odds of him going to jail for longer than an indigenous teenager who steals his third mars bar from a Darwin corner store

WELL...

quote:

The commission has just heard that Dr Paterson was more interested in finding out if then music teacher Barrie Stewart was a homosexual than asking him if he had molested a child.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Birb Katter posted:

hosed up if true and we know it's true

Dr Paterson was the one who said it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Sydney news: 2Day FM may have to be taken off the air over the Royal Prank a few years back.

And there was much rejoicing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Mattjpwns posted:

To "commit political suicide", or an act/decision being considered "political suicide" is pretty common parlance. In the context of what Palmer was saying, it's pretty drat clear this is what he meant.

But of course the media will have a field day with it because it'll generate far more hits/reads than boring poo poo like data retention, the TPP, our Iraq deployments, actually being governed, etc, and it'll be helped along by armchair internet lefties looking for their next moral outrage crusade that requires no actual thought on their behalf, just being angry because Palmer said a bad word.

Lets not do this. If this was Abbott or Morrison saying this we would never ever try to make it a media blow up and instead it would be used to re-enforce the views we already have of them being stupid and callous and even if context was given we wouldn't be an apologist no more than "poo poo happens".

Don'0t bend the rules because its not your enemy in the limelight and always, always look at a situation as if your most reviled politician said it and see if that at all changes your reaction.

What Clive said was loving dumb and will haunt him and it will be blared louder because of the media make up but at no point should we then flip it to be tjat he, an elected MP of federal office, is a victim.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Mattjpwns posted:

Oh get hosed. I've routinely stood up and said "yeah, this is overblown as poo poo" regardless of the side of politics. If you can't manage that, that's fine. He misstepped by not including "political" before suicide, but this is a total loving beatup.

I don't believe you.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Pickled Tink posted:

New first dog:

posting fdotm is a bannable offence

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
ICAC is hosed

quote:

In a tense morning in the High Court, lawyers for the NSW corruption watchdog have faced a grilling over its controversial inquiry into Crown prosecutor Margaret Cunneen and earned a rebuke from the bench for failing to have key documents on hand.

A five-judge bench of the High Court convened in Canberra on Wednesday to hear an appeal brought by the Independent Commission Against Corruption against an order shutting down its inquiry into the high-profile silk.

The court was forced to adjourn half an hour early for lunch as the ICAC's lawyers scrambled to compile additional documents for the bench.

"I don't think I've ever seen this kind of scrappy hand-up before," Chief Justice Robert French said.

In a sign the ICAC may face an uphill battle persuading the court to allow the investigation to proceed, its legal team faced tough questions from the bench about whether the commission was acting within its powers.

At the heart of the Cunneen investigation is the allegation that Ms Cunneen, 56, advised her eldest son's girlfriend to feign chest pains to avoid a police breath test at the scene of a car crash.

Ms Cunneen denies the allegations and took legal action in the Supreme Court last year to shut down the investigation on the basis the ICAC was acting outside its statutory powers to investigate "corrupt conduct".

She lost the case in the Supreme Court, but she immediately appealed against the ruling and a 2-1 majority of the Court of Appeal found in her favour.

That decision triggered an appeal by the ICAC to the High Court.

The High Court bench - Chief Justice French and Justices Kenneth Hayne, Susan Kiefel, Stephen Gageler and Geoffrey Nettle - questioned whether the alleged conduct was capable of amounting to corrupt conduct.

The ICAC Act defines corrupt conduct as including any conduct of a private citizen which "could adversely affect" the exercise of a public official's functions. It says the conduct could involve criminal offences including perverting the course of justice.

All three Court of Appeal judges agreed the conduct alleged in the Cunneen case could amount to perverting the course of justice. But the majority said it could not "adversely affect" the exercise of a police officer's functions because there was no suggestion the police officer acted dishonestly or partially.

The chief justice of NSW, Tom Bathurst, disagreed with the majority and said it was sufficient "the conduct had the potential effect of diverting the police officer from the performance of an investigation into a suspected crime".

Jeremy Kirk, SC, for the ICAC, said the definition of corruption was focused on "external forces" and a private citizen could seek to bring about a corrupt outcome without a public official acting dishonestly or partially.

"In NSW any telling of lies to a policeman ... would, on this basis, be corrupt conduct," Justice Nettle asked.

Mr Kirk said this would only be the case if it amounted to perverting the course of justice.

The commission's lawyers have sought to bolster their argument with reference to the way the Act has been amended by Parliament over time.

They were criticised for failing to have copies of the legislation at various points in history available for the bench.

"The legislative history is next to useless without the text," Justice Stephen Gageler said.

Chief Justice French, pointing to the "present state of disorder in the presentation of materials", adjourned the case at 12.15pm to give the ICAC time to compile the documents. The hearing resumes at 2pm.

Don't piss off the High Court.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://m.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/tony-abbott-is-a-car-crash-of-a-human-being-says-comedian-john-oliver-20150302-13sog5.html

Lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The intergenerational outcast has a fundamental assumption at its core for its forecasts that everyone needs to know. The assumption is for the next 35 years it will be continual uninterrupted growth with no recessions.

Summary:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

These are literally Andrew Bolt talking points.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
So the intergenerational report both skins over climate change AND includes statements that climate change may be good for the environment.

quote:

Labor leader Bill Shorten pointed to assertions in the report that some economic effects of climate change "may be beneficial - where regions become warmer or wetter this may allow for increased agricultural output".

"Can the Prime Minister confirm that the government believes that climate change may be beneficial?" he said.

Mr Abbott dismissed the opposition's attacks as "politicking", accusing Mr Shorten and environment spokesman Mark Butler of "disfiguring" debate.

"Do justice to this report," Mr Abbott said.

"We have a clear…we have a strong and effective policy to deal with climate change."

The Intergenerational Report grants 11 mentions to climate change, arguing "governments must continue to plan for the economic and environmental effects of climate change". While it says there may be economic benefits to climate change, it says there may also be falling crop yields and increasing damage to infrastructure from extreme weather.

Not worth the paper its printed on.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

cpaf posted:

Yeah absolutely and that's a tremendous glowing recommendation for him as a parliamentarian. He's completely incompetent and totally unreliable but boy does he spin a great yarn about his dad who did it real hard back when we lived in shoeboxes in the middle of the street.

He was lucky. We would have dreamed of a shoebox. It would've been luxury.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

A senior surgeon has been criticised for her "appalling" suggestion that surgical trainees should stay silent if they're sexually assaulted by a colleague because coming forward could ruin their careers.

Dr Gabrielle McMullin, a Sydney vascular surgeon, says sexism is so rife among surgeons in Australia that young woman in the field should probably just accept unwanted sexual advances.

She referred to the case of Caroline, who won a case against a surgeon accused of sexually assaulting her while she was completing surgical training at a Melbourne hospital. But the woman was unable to get work at any public hospital in Australasia after the legal victory, Dr McMullin told ABC radio at a book launch at Parliament House in Sydney on Friday night.

"Her career was ruined by this one guy asking for sex on this night. And, realistically, she would have been much better to have given him a blow job on that night," Dr McMullin said.

"What I tell my trainees is that, if you are approached for sex, probably the safest thing to do in terms of your career is to comply with the request; the worst thing you can possibly do is to complain to the supervising body because then, as in Caroline's position, you can be sure that you will never be appointed to a major public hospital."

Centre Against Sexual Assault Victorian spokeswoman Carolyn Worth said the comments were "appalling" and "irresponsible" because perpetrators thrive on not being challenged about their behaviour.

"I would have thought highly trained professionals would be able to operate a better system than that," she said. "I actually don't think that's acceptable advice in this day and age."

Domestic Violence Victoria chief executive Fiona McCormack said the comments were "outrageous" and "pretty extraordinary".

"We need to be looking at the sexism that exists in the medical profession," she said. "It's a sad indictment on us and the community when this is what women are being advised to do to benefit their career."

Australian Medical Association Victoria president Dr Tony Bartone said he strongly disagreed with Dr McMullin's advice to young women.

"This old view of acceptance needs to be eradicated," he said in a statement.

"Sexual assault is a crime and will not be tolerated by our society. The medical profession is not exempt from this maxim."

He said all public hospitals have procedures in place to allow employees to safely report everything from bullying to sexual assault. "There should not be negative consequences for reporting."

Further comment is being sought from Dr McMullin and the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Burn it all.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

katlington posted:

Abc headline, "Sexual harassment rife in medical profession, senior surgeon Dr Gabrielle McMullin says" Lol. 😧

The whole story is amazingly backwards

quote:

Vascular surgeon Dr Gabrielle McMullin is a co-author of Pathways to Gender Equality - The Role of Merit and Quotas. The book was launched at Parliament House in Sydney last night.

"Caroline was ... the daughter that you'd wish to have. She excelled at school. What she always wanted to be was a neurosurgeon," she said.

"At the hospital Caroline ended up training at, one surgeon took her under his wing. But things got uncomfortable.

"He kept asking her back to his rooms after hours. But after this one particularly long [work] session, she felt it was rude to refuse and they ended up back in his rooms, where, of course, it was dark and there was nobody else around, and he sexually assaulted her.

"She was horrified. She ran out of the office. She didn't tell anyone."

Dr McMullin said the surgeon began to give Caroline bad reports and faced with the prospect of failing after years of hard work, Caroline finally complained.

After a long and gruelling legal process, Caroline won her case.

"However, despite that victory, she has never been appointed to a public position in a hospital in Australasia," Dr McMullin said.

"Her career was ruined by this one guy asking for sex on this night. And realistically, she would have been much better to have given him a blow job on that night.

"The worst thing you could possibly do is to complain to the supervising body, because then, as in Caroline's position, you can be sure that you will never be appointed to a major public hospital."

quote:

Pathways to Gender Equality - The Role of Merit and Quotas

quote:

realistically, she would have been much better to have given him a blow job on that night.

quote:

quote:

realistically, she would have been much better to have given him a blow job on that night.

quote:

quote:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Serrath posted:

I'm 99% sure she's expressing the former view. My 1% of doubt is because this is Australia.

She might be, but said view is "give blow jobs on request otherwise you lose your job".

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

SynthOrange posted:

I'm pretty sure, reading the article, that the view is 'In retrospect with how the incident has destroyed her career, a blowjob in exchange for NOT being blacklisted would have been the least damaging option in this hosed up world.'

There's a world of difference between "in retrospect" and "I tell my students to just give in to sexual demands because otherwise they will be blackballed" which is furthering the situation itself and telling some of her students they have sexual dominance (if male) and thats just the way it is.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Journey: The Braid Limbo Story

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Graic you were just burned and owned by Anidav. Give up. You've lost. There is no coming back from that. Ever. This is your 4 foot tall Lebanese woman moment, you now have that one moment forever.

You are the guy so pathetic that Anidav managed to out-smacktalk.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
In a cafe

They have an OZ burger

Egg

Pineapple

Beetroot

I hate everything.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Weel seeya Aldi

quote:

More Melbourne shoppers have reported finding what appears to be maggots and foreign objects in food bought from Aldi.

Last week, a Richmond couple found a maggot in a jar of Remano tomato paste, which they bought from an Aldi store in Abbotsford.

Since then other Aldi customers have contacted Fairfax Media claiming to have found foreign objects and creatures in food bought from the cut-price supermarket chain.

One customer, who asked to be known only as Michelle, opened a Mozart Chocolate late last year to find what appeared to be live maggots inside.

"I opened the wrapper and there was a maggot crawling out of the chocolate," Michelle said.

The chocolates were sold by Aldi around Christmas, for a third of the cost at which they usually retail at department stores.

"They were my favourite chocolates, but I can't even look at them now," Michelle said.

Another customer, who asked not to be named, said he opened a tin of Ocean Rise smoked mussels bought from Aldi to find what appeared to be the leg of a starfish inside.

"Some species of starfish are poisonous, so I sealed it in a plastic container in my fridge without eating any," he said.

The customer said he lodged a formal complaint with Aldi, but was disappointed by their response.

"All they offered was a 'sorry' and promised they would instruct the operators on the difference," he said.

Tania Ewing said her daughter found a fingernail in a tub of salted caramel ice cream bought from an Aldi store in Brunswick last October.

"It took us three months to get any response from Aldi," Ms Ewing said.

Another woman, who asked to be known only as Jan, said she found a piece of metal in the bottom of a jar of Bramwells peanut butter that she bought from an Aldi store in Melbourne's south-east.

"It looked like the tip of a knife, but all my knives are intact. I suspect it was something in the manufacturing equipment that broke off," she said.

Jan took her complaint to Consumer Affairs Victoria, which referred her to Casey City Council. But she was told by council investigators that the matter could be better dealt with by NSW health authorities.

"I have heard nothing more," she said.

An Aldi spokesman said the supermarket had investigated the issues raised by its Melbourne customers, but found the problems were not widespread.

"For the incidents mentioned, there has not been an illustration of any trends and customers that have been in contact with Aldi have been responded to," the spokesman said.

"Any complaints are raised individually and investigated with extremely high importance. Aldi will always remove any product from sale if it is identified as a risk to our customers."

The spokesman said the supermarket was investigating last week's discovery of the wormlike animal in the jar of Remano tomato paste. He said the jar had been collected from customers Adrian Chew and his partner Stephanie on Saturday, and was in transit to the supplier for testing.

"Aldi has been investigating the issue thoroughly with the supplier and we will implement any further action if required," the spokesman said.

The label on the jar of tomato paste reads: "Especially made for our Aldi stores to our stringent quality specifications." It is listed as a product of China.

"We undertake regular testing with independent laboratories to ensure the ongoing safety, quality and regulatory compliance of our products. If for any reason customers are not satisfied with Aldi's everyday grocery range, we will replace the product or provide a refund," the Aldi spokesman said.

Ken Walker, the senior curator of entomology at Museum Victoria, said he believed the wriggling wormlike creatures found in the Aldi chocolate were in fact caterpillars, or the larva of pantry moths.

"From the image alone, it looks like the larva of an Indian meal moth, commonly known as a pantry moth," Dr Walker said.

Indian meal moth larva can infest a wide range of dry foodstuffs, including cereal, bread, pasta, rice, dried fruits and chocolate. The moths can crawl into surprisingly tight spots and are known to chew through thin plastic and paper packaging.

Garry McDonald, an entomologist from Melbourne University, said it was "highly unusual" for a maggot to be found living in processed food, like a jar of tomato paste.

"It's a pretty acidic, hostile environment," Dr McDonald said.

"It is unlikely to have been a maggot originating from within that bottle, unless it had been previously opened.

"The average life of a maggot - from egg hatch to developing into a pupa - might take two or three weeks. It could be a bit less, or a bit more. It's not all that long.

"If the maggot was alive, the egg would have had to have been laid in the last two or three weeks."

Dr McDonald said flies typically laid their eggs on food, rather than on a container.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Splode posted:

Gross

Can you link the article? I want to share that on facebook and laugh at the reactions

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/maggots-fingernail-metal-found-in-aldi-food-20150310-13yx9d.html

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Tim Wilson crawled out of the darkness he had been hiding in to avoid commenting on how the HRC was being slandered by George Brandis to issue this edict

quote:

Australian Marriage Forum ad might be distasteful but it should have been screened

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/australian-marriage-forum-ad-might-be-distasteful-but-it-should-have-been-screened-20150311-140q3w.html

YAY FREEDOM COMMISSIONER, now back to your hole if anyone asks you about Brandis again.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

I, Butthole posted:

Stop replying to Craig you stupid shitlords he can't even spell his own name backwards.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

thatfatkid posted:

Radical leftist wants to right the wrongs of the world and joins Islamic State to do so. Yep definitely hosed in the head.

Honestly this might be a troll but you're being willfully ignorant if you just straight up rule this out. Reading his writings he comes across as every other diaffected youth, writing explicitly about the death of democracy due to western interventionism. You can argue until you're blue in the face that because he then went and tried to kill people (or "kill yourself" as it were) he doesn't count but that's being horribly simplistic.

Apologists will argue that he is an illustration of western radicalisation, those using him as a crux will point to the "brainwashing of the death cult" when you can tell by his writings he wasn't radicalised by Islamic State but rather through viewing western hegemony as a disease and considered several other groups before it.

At the end of it he could have been in another life a poster on these forums, and that kind of scares me.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Most tellingly of all he, even after his radicalisation, repeats his belief in atheism as he tries to understand his own disbelief in a deity with subscribing to Islam. He is not an Islamic as much as he saw himself as fighting injustice. A wannabe Che Guevera by any other name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

A cookbook which promotes a restrictive diet for babies and toddlers has been described as potentially deadly, prompting publishers to delay its launch.

The Bubba Yum Yum cookbook, authored by celebrity chef Pete Evans, blogger Charlotte Carr and naturopath Helen Padarin is marketed as “a treasure trove of nutritional information and nourishing paleo recipes that are guaranteed to put you and your little one on the path to optimum health”.

But Heather Yeatman, president of the Public Health Association of Australia, said a recipe for DIY baby milk formula, made from liver and bone broth, contained 10 times the maximum safe daily intake of vitamin A for babies.

“In my view, there’s a very real possibility that a baby may die if this book goes ahead,” Yeatman told the Women’s Weekly.

“Especially if [the DIY formula] was the only food a parent was feeding their infant, it’s a very real risk. And [I consider that] the baby’s growth and development could be impaired.”

Yeatman told Guardian Australia it was also important that mothers received the best advice when it came to feeding their babies.

“The World Health Organisation and the [federal] Department of Health support breast feeding for at least the first six months of life, and for those who can’t breastfeed, then [commercial] infant formulas have been designed based on research and evidence as an appropriate alternative,” she said.

“If you go past this advice it’s potentially dangerous, and we need to support new mums in getting good advice for their child during this critical first six months of their life.”

The paleo diet was not consistent with Australian dietary guidelines for adults or children, she said.

All of the recipes in the book exclude gluten and dairy, with paleo diet proponents shunning any foods not also eaten by the early ancestors of humans, such as grains and processed foods.

The book was set to be launched on Friday but on Thursday its publisher, Pan MacMillan, announced its release was being delayed.

“Pan Macmillan Australia advises the publication of Bubba Yum Yum: The Paleo Way has been delayed and not recalled, as incorrectly stated by Australian Women’s Weekly,” a spokeswoman said.

“The publisher will be making no further comment at this time.”

A spokeswoman for the federal health department said the government had concerns about the inadequate nutritional value of some of the recipes, “in particular the infant formula”. The department was consulting with experts and was continuing to investigate the book, she said.

Guardian Australia has contacted the book’s authors for comment.

Tim Gill, professor of public health and nutrition with the University of Sydney’s Boden Institute of Obesity, said banning major food groups from a diet, especially a child’s diet, was “not logical”. He said he would not recommend parents base their infant or toddler’s diet entirely on paleo.

“One of the most important things about a child’s diet is getting them to experience as many different tastes, textures and components of food as possible,” Gill said. “It is important to set children up to accept a range of foods, and a restrictive diet is counterproductive to that.

“So while I would be concerned that kids aren’t getting all the right nutrients from this diet, I’m equally concerned about them not being exposed to food as an important and enjoyable component of life.”

The only foods that should be restricted for children were those that were highly processed and laden with sugar, he said.

Renowned nutritionist, Dr Rosemary Stanton, said she had come across many parents over the years who had placed their children on extreme diets.

While adults could adapt to the paleo diet and increase their fruit and vegetable intake to meet their nutrient needs, children were unable to consume the volume of produce required to make up for those nutrients lost from eliminated food-groups.

“Rice milk and oat milk that have calcium added to them are fine for adults, but don’t have the right concentration of protein for children,” she said. “Soy is banned under the paleo diet, so soy-milk is out. Almond milk is mostly water.

“The adult body is resilient to these diets, but a child’s body is not and they may have some difficulty adapting, and in fact, may be preventing from growing properly.”

There was increasing evidence that the type of bacteria found in the gut contributed to overall health and wellbeing, with imbalances in this bacteria leading to various diseases, Stanton said.

“It turns out you get a whole lot of really nice, beneficial bacteria from whole grains and yoghurt, which are not eaten by those following the paleo diet,” she said.

“It’s really not a good diet for your future health, and it’s not the diet our ancestors ate anyway, despite what its followers claim.”

LOLPALEO
LOLALMONDMILK

• Locked thread