Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Aren't nearly all licensed anime RPGs pretty much just episode guides attached to a system of varying levels of crappiness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

So...just Teenagers From Outer Space?

Cyberpunk 2020, Mekton and Mekton Zeta, licensed DBZ, Bubblegum Crisis, and VOTOMS games, and the Fuzion system that Pondsmith produced with Hero Games.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I was going to ask if the reverse counted, with Sword World -> Record of Lodoss War, but it turns out Lodoss predates Sword World and is based on D&D.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Effectronica posted:

Cyberpunk 2020, Mekton and Mekton Zeta, licensed DBZ, Bubblegum Crisis, and VOTOMS games, and the Fuzion system that Pondsmith produced with Hero Games.

I forgot about those. Mekton is Gundam, right? What is Bubblegum Crisis, Cyperpunk 2020, and VOTOMS based on?

Edit: Wait, let me guess, Cyperpunk 2020 is Ghost in the Shell?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Bubblegum Crisis is based on Bubblegum Crisis.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

I forgot about those. Mekton is Gundam, right? What is Bubblegum Crisis, Cyperpunk 2020, and VOTOMS based on?

CP 2020 is cyberpunk, but it draws heavy inspiration from Japanese cyberpunk stuff like Bubblegum Crisis and VOTOMS (both 1980s anime that got their own games) and Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, Dirty Pair, Megazone 23, etc.

Mekton was originally Gundam, but also draws on Macross, Leiji Matsumoto's works, Voltron, etc.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Covok posted:

Edit: Wait, let me guess, Cyperpunk 2020 is Ghost in the Shell?

CP2020 is an 80's as gently caress cyberpunk setting, not based on an anime but with some obvious old school anime influences (Akira, GITS).
Bubblegum Crisis and Armored Trooper VOTOMS are both licensed games based on old school Anime of the same name
Mekton is Gundam with the numbers filed off.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Don't ever imply that the DBZ RPG is a bright spot for anything, that poo poo's unplayable.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Lynx Winters posted:

Don't ever imply that the DBZ RPG is a bright spot for anything, that poo poo's unplayable.

DBZRPG was a bright spot for me and my friend laughing ourselves halfway dead.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My acquaintance Stairmaster said he is going to gm the DBZRPG next month.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

My acquaintance Stairmaster said he is going to gm the DBZRPG next month.

Awesome, gives me time to find a copy.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Mutants & Masterminds 2e had a pretty good anime book, but that might just be my fond memories of Mutants & Masterminds talking.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Lynx Winters posted:

Yeah, no, I was thinking of TFOS and Mekton, and not a whole lot else.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Carrasco posted:

Mutants & Masterminds 2e had a pretty good anime book, but that might just be my fond memories of Mutants & Masterminds talking.

Mecha & Manga was a real mess rules-wise, tho. I think it's probably one of the worst M&M rules supplements outside of Gimmick's Guide to Gadgets? It has a lot of things that were just system-breaking or just set bad rules precedents.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

TheTatteredKing posted:

CAH cards never work grammatically and that annoys me. Also while some cards are hilarious like "the mere concept of applebees" good like getting the subject card that it works with

Well, I just dusted off my copy and the best match I could find was "During sex I like to think about..."

But even then you're going to get beaten by the rear end in a top hat who throws in "Consensual sex"

So yeah, you're right. As funny as "the mere concept of applebees" is, it's completely unplayable. A card that just said "Applebees" would fit way more black cards while still being used to make fun of Applebees. There are a number of cards like this, which could be much better with minor edits. Also, I got the Canadian version and many of the special Canadian cards are GARBAGE. Who the gently caress is schmirler the curler. Canada is full of hilarious poo poo and they pull up some curler? Just having a card that said "Curling" would be funnier, because curling is a bit of a ridiculous sport.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey everyone. I'm in the market for a cool new dice bag, any suggestions? It has to be something I can ship to Australia.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ettin posted:

Hey everyone. I'm in the market for a cool new dice bag, any suggestions? It has to be something I can ship to Australia.

http://www.allrolledup.co.uk/

These own. I keep a ton of dice, a deck of cards, pencils, and a Noteboard in mine.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Man I wish I saved some of those Wayne Gretzky pictures.

Guy had a fantastic dice bag.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
While we are the subject of gaming peripherals, is this worth it?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
In which Ettin masquerades under a new avatar to pretend he is not anime to the bone and blood.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Covok posted:

Imagine a DM with 4 secret dry erase panels on the edge of a cliff

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Covok posted:

Looks neat but not 30 bucks neat

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yeah, for 1/2 price, I'd probably buy it without asking.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

In which Ettin masquerades under a new avatar to pretend he is not anime to the bone and blood.

Uh yeah, I'm the Dungeon Master.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

fosborb posted:

Imagine a DM with 4 secret dry erase panels on the edge of a cliff

It doesn't seem like you could easily draw on it while it's standing up? That just seems clunky. Do you walk around the screen to write something? I guess it would be better to let players mark a map, but... it doesn't seem like the most practical feature. Still, there aren't many customizable GM screens like that.

Pinnacle and Studio 2 make a similar product for $20+, though it has fewer panels.

Ettin posted:

Did you mug Winson Paine and take his old avatar? Because that looks familiar.
or did you finally eat him to gain his power

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
It may be a Highlander kind of thing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ronwayne posted:

It may be a Highlander kind of thing.

He's taken too many mod positions, and the last overwhelmed his original personality? Now it's time for him to break out D&D and start telling us about his time at the gym. Also I guess he'll accidentally kill Richie, which is loving fine by me.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Is Plutonis the guy with the topknot and katana? Or am I thinking of something Kevin Sorbo was in?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ronwayne posted:

Is Plutonis the guy with the topknot and katana? Or am I thinking of something Kevin Sorbo was in?

I call being the guy from Fine Young Cannibals. He was the only immortal smart enough to just have a bunch of minions ambush his foes with machine guns and then waltz in to lop the head offmoderate the forum.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ronwayne posted:

I don't think he's The guy with tthe topknot and katana but i have it on good authority that he owns both of those things.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Ettin posted:

I thought you all celebrated September Fools Day, down on the bottom side of the world.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I have a three-panel horizontal one I bought for $30, and it's worth actually really useful.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Did you mug Winson Paine and take his old avatar? Because that looks familiar.
or did you finally eat him to gain his power

I made that avatar for Winson way back when. Took a crappy ol' screenshot and worked a good 20 minutes of photoshop magic on it to make it look presentable. Good to see it's getting an airing again.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I never saw Highlander.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I never saw Highlander.
You only missed one good episode.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The one with Joan Jett, or the one with "Rowdy" Roddy Piper?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

FactsAreUseless posted:

You only missed one good episode.
:golfclap:

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Covok posted:

$30 is a lot for two folders with document protectors all taped together.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Misandu posted:

$30 is a lot for two folders with document protectors all taped together.

Yeah you could probably make a diy equivalent for way cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
New thread here.

• Locked thread