Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm going to be running a Fate game in the Burn Shift setting one my schedule settles down a bit and I'm not running all over the place. I'm also doing GoD at PAX this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BTW if you're gonna be at PAX East come to Games on Demand and demand my games. I'm running two Fate games and Monster of the Week.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Exalted is pretty much Feat Tax: The RPG only with about 50 times more mechanics than you need to do loving anything, with a side of WW's usual "how dare you expect to be a unambiguous good guy, here's some mechanics to make you do evil poo poo if you want to or not".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tulul posted:

Sorta curious how the stats work out in WWW, since I noticed that they're the lowest for any PbtA game I've seen. Everyone's going to be rocking a -2 or a couple of -1s, which means there are going to be a lot of failed rolls.
WWW has "momentum", which you earn through moves and such. You spend momentum to add to your rolls and generally maintain control of a match. You start with a point or two of momentum, and you gain more mainly by doing things like cutting promos and working the crowd.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

General Ironicus posted:

We also recorded a short chat about how Wrestling intersects with roleplaying in some interesting ways: http://feats.podbean.com/e/world-wide-wrestling-rpg-podchat-show-wrestling-rpgs/

When are we going to get the "fall of WCW from an RPG perspective" discussion? :colbert:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

There's a new Torg bundle up, with all the sourcebooks that weren't in the first one. I kinda don't like the idea of splitting up a game line like that, but I suppose it might drive higher sales from those whose interest was piqued by one of the bundles but missed the other.

They admitted during the first bundle that they weren't including some of the cosm books because "they weren't very good". There were enough people asking for them for completeness' sake that they decided to do a second bundle later.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gnome7 posted:

I'll be honest, I actually forgot we set up a late backer system, so I'm sorta glad for the reminder. Gotta make sure those people get their rewards too!

Speaking of which, what's the latest on the IW hardcopies?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

You'd think that, as the de facto leader in the industry, Wizards should feel some sort of obligation to create not just a good game, but a forward-thinking one, inclusive, with no potential player turned away because "this game isn't for me". With their budget they could probably do it. Add in whatever they're paying Mearls and Smith and they could definitely do it.

But here's the thing: there's always going to be people who feel left behind because the game is Different now. They don't want to move with the times, and then get upset when they end up getting left behind.

Like, this?

quote:

As it stands the brand has become this monolithic thing that embodies TRADITION and VERISIMILITUDE and GYGAX'S LEGACY, among other code words for THE WAY I PLAYED BACK IN 1989. It suffocates innovation and collapses under its own weight anytime someone tries.
This is legitimately what a large number of gamers want.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gnome7 posted:

Everything should be out now except the Personalized Tier and the Illustrated Tier. I have finished doing art for every single physical book, and all of them are in Mikan's hands now. She needs to write all over them for the Personalized Tier stuff, and then mail them out. I'll ask her for a status report next time she's online, we're probably due for an update.

If you are waiting on something other than those things, let me know so I can sort you out.

No, I've been waiting on the personalized one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Impermanent posted:

D&D is the rocket booster that this hobby needed in order to get into the atmosphere. We can safely leave it behind now that Apocalypse World exists.

D&D is the foundation stone of the hobby, the cornerstone it was built off of, and the anchor around its neck.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, love it or hate it "D&D style fantasy" is pretty much the universal RPG language. And as tired as I am with generic D&D-style fantasy, it is a very handy mental shortcut to start building off of.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PresidentBeard posted:

This still boils down to being upset that something you don't like is popular.

The other universal language of gaming.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I still think you should call the fantasy Gunlugger the Swordlugger.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I can't tell who's being serious and who's not in this thread anymore. Is that bad?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

What is the best song for playing an RPG? I think it's either Ween's "Your Party," Elvis Presley's "Party," or "Aaron's Party" by Aaron Carter. That last one assumes your party's Cleric, Artificer, Shaman, or Bard is named Aaron.

Weezer's "In The Garage".

e: or Pink because Pink owns.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

I've got a Dungeon Master's guide
I've got a 12-sided die
I've got Kitty Pryde
And Nightcrawler, too
Waiting there for me
Yes I do, I do

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

Yes, I would like someone to make a 'Monster Hunter' RPG, TIA.

I still cannot figure out why nobody's done this yet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

I don't think I have ever seen a game with grappling rules that weren't awful.

In Fate the grappling rules are "you roll to create advantage, if you succeed you put a "Grappled" aspect on the target."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, all the editions before 3rd had separate XP tables for every class. That was the "balancing mechanic".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, another part of the magic problem is that D&D only really treats magic primarily as a weapon used to blow poo poo up in combat, with everything else feeling like an afterthought.

Think about it; if "Create Food and Water" is a readily available spell, then why would anyone go hungry? Or bother farming? Likewise with "Continual Light"; that spell is an infinite amount of free, eternal light bulbs. You don't think that'd have an effect on society in general?

Magic is an infinite, non-polluting energy source that can do pretty much whatever you want, and I think Eberron is pretty much the only D&D setting that takes that into account.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I also want to say that if you want to understand how lovely D&D used to be, go download a Sierra game from the 1980s. They are garbage pixel-bitching "you're suddenly dead" turdfests and that's the kind of stuff that professional designers influenced by D&D were puking out. These were adults that were incredibly negatively influenced by the badness of D&D. The typical teenage DM had absolutely zero chance of doing anything of value at all with the system.

Oh man I remember one of the King's Quests games had a bit where you had to stop a cat from killing a mouse (an event that happens within seconds of your first entering a screen, and with no indication that you can or should do anything about it), and if you didn't, you couldn't complete the game because you needed the mouse hours later.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Just the fact that magic works at all would result in a society vastly different from the shitfarmer-based ones we see in every fantasy setting ever.

If I wasn't busy as hell and going to my game in an hour and a half I'd post one of my Continual Light rants. The tl;dr is that if you have people who can turn a brick into an infinite free completely safe light source, you've got street lights and lights over businesses (shops can be open later, streets are safer), which leads to a lot of other societal changes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GURPS was sadly not an appropriate system for Discworld. It's a setting that needs a looser ruleset.

Not that the sourcebook wasn't good, but still.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Does anyone have anything to say about AMP: Year One? It's by the Part-Time Gods people and apparently uses a system based on that, and I'm always looking for good supers systems.
I haven't played it yet, but I like it. It's a good middle-of-the-road supers system, where all the powers are prebuilt for you. Think more Icons than Champions/M&M.

All metas fall into one of nine categories: Blasters, Bulks, Elementals, Ferals, Mindbenders (mind control), Psychs (other psychic powers), Shapers, Shifters, and Travelers. Then each of those has five or six sub-types, and each of those sub-types has its own small power tree.

It's designed to be like the Heroes TV show (or at least season 1), where everyone only has a few powers and people are just starting to become aware of the existence of metas. I'd say it's in teh same category as Icons in terms of just picking powers and going.

e: although one problem I do have is that there are a bunch of powers with goofy names like "Were you trying to hit me?" or "Play Chicken", which lets you keep going if you've had a major part of your body lopped off. It's not a problem per se, but it still trips me up a bit.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 5, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This sounds somewhat like Double Cross, except potentially without the layout nightmare that is the Double Cross rulebook, so I'm down with that. I'm also okay with pre-built powers and nonsense power names - I'm not convinced by Icons, but mostly because of the weird mishmash of Fate and other stuff.

If I'm honest, I'm probably looking for something that lets me do X-Men/Runaways/Young Avengers stuff, and this sounds like it might do the trick.

Actually, yeah, I'd say it's like DX but less complex and with clearer rules. You just pick powers and go. And it can totally do Runaways/YA.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ratpick posted:

Yeah, I know DCC and it looks fun, but a bit too on the heavy side for my tastes. I mean, I like the fact that it's basically an adaptation of my favorite edition of D&D (B/X) with a very clear focus on emulating the Appendix N vibe, but on the other hand it looks very cumbersome in play what with the critical hit and miss charts and specific roll-dependent effects for every spell. However, I still reserve judgement on the game on account of the fact that I haven't actually seen how it works in play.

DW has Funnel World, which serves the same start-with-a-bunch-of-disposable-guys purpose.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just read the best post about Pathfinder Online's leveling system.

quote:

From what I can tell of the leveling system, it's a kind of bizarre hybrid of a standard MMO XP grind with EVE's learning system. Apparently Dancey generally liked the EVE system, but felt it was flawed, and saw this as the fix.

See, in the standard treadmill system, you go out and kill goblins (or whatever) over and over until you've built up enough XP to level. At which point you generally get a little better at everything, and maybe pick up a new ability or two. Downside to this is the grind: you're probably going to get sick of killing the same things over and over again. Upside is that if you optimize things, and work with some higher-level players who know the system, you can hit the level cap in a week, and not have to worry about leveling again.

Now, with EVE's skill training, there aren't general levels as such. There are skills, each of which has five levels. So you set your character to learning one of these skills, say Laser Weapons I. Depending on your characters attributes, you gain skill points at a certain rate, and once accumulate what you need, you learn Laser Weapons I, which probably gives you a 5% damage bonus to laser weapons, and serves as a prerequisite for certain weapons and skills (like, for instance, Laser Weapons II). The downside to this system is that you can only speed up skill training to a certain extent, and there's no actual level cap to hit. So if someone has a lead on you (say they started playing a year earlier), then so long as you're both playing, you will never catch up with their skill point total. In practice, this usually isn't so bad, because there are only so many skills that are applicable in any given area. The main upside to this system is that there's no grind aspect to it. Once you've told your character to start learning a skill, they'll keep accumulating skill points constantly, no matter what you're doing or even whether or not you're logged in. It's a system a lot friendlier to people who can only play a few hours a week.

Now, in Pathfinder Online, from what I can tell, your character constantly generates generic XP. Then, rather than leveling in a class, you spend that XP to buy skill levels. For instance, you accumulate a pool of 5000xp (or however many), then spend it to buy Archer 7, which gives you a bonus on bow damage and such. You could alternately spend it on Shield Use or Ironworking or whatever, XP is generic. However, in addition to the XP costs, the skills are also gated behind achievements. So even if you have the XP for Archer 7, you can't actually buy it until you have the "Kill 500 enemies with a bow" achievement.

It's almost literally the worst of both worlds. Your advancement is limited by how long you've played. But you still have to grind out hundreds of kills to get better at anything. I just cannot imagine how anyone decided this was a good idea.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In related news, and online buddy has invited me to his PF game.

I'm...not eager. He says he runs the game looser than the rules are presented, but the overall gamer mindset of his group means they won't even try games that are designed to be lose in the first place.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I honestly don't think I've ever been in a PbP game that didn't just fade.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It is loving amazing to me that Dancey constantly comes up with such terrible ideas that aren't grounded in anything and yet not only keeps getting work but seems to keep getting better work.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

As somebody who has a group of friends who only play D&D 2e, I've had a similar experience. Just don't talk any other games with them and try to go in with an open mind. Regarding my situation I did just that, it was about as terrible as a bunch of 40 year old aping lovely mechanics and mindsets from the 1980s could be, but at least I gave it a shot and I'm glad I did. They were also very gracious when I said it wasn't for me.

It's weird to me, because I do "Games on Demand" at PAX East every year, and I get people playing DW or Fate coming in from more traditional games, and they end up loving it.

In fact, last weekend I had a group playing the Atomic Robo RPG, and two of my players immediately bought FAE and some dice, and they told me that they've been playing WoD for a long time, but they always ignored a lot of the rules because they didn't fit their playstyle. At least now they have a game that'll support them. v:shobon:v

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm really curious to see how 5e continues. The brand seems like it's on shaky ground on the tabletop as it drove out guys like me who actively disliked old D&D and, judging by Roll20, failed to recapture a lot of Pathfinder's market share.
I don't think it's that shaky; I know at my game store they're filling up three tables on Organized Play night every week.

But the point about "identity politics" still feels right; regardless of who consulted on it I have zero interest or desire to play 5e because everything leading up to it made it clear that they weren't interested in the opinions of people like myself who enjoyed 4e and accepted that it was D&D.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serf posted:

The only mechanic I really miss from 4E are action points, but I haven't found a good way to work them into 13th Age.

Icon dice? I've used a system where people can use relationship dice for bonuses and such, but that's because I only run the organized play stuff so things are a little more limited in terms of working Icon stuff into the game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PresidentBeard posted:

They are idiots who now populate the paizo site and complain endlessly about "rules bloat". Seemingly wanting Paizo to commit corporate suicide and just stop producing books.
Which is pretty loving hilarious because there were people jumping ship to Pathfinder because WotC was ceasing production of new 3.X stuff despite there being like 100 official books.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think Next is going to do pretty well because it's an edition that most people can settle for. It's not as broken as 3.x, doesn't try anything new like 4e, doesn't have most of the restrictions of older editions, etc. It's not aiming to be the best, just the least disagreeable.

This is what we have come to.

"Fifth Edition D&D: it's okay, you don't have to try something new"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is there any agreement on what storygame means, exactly? I hear it from time to time and I know Pundit hates them, but that only tells me that they are not D&D.
All RPGs are storygames because all RPGs generate stories. All storygames are RPGs because they're games where you play a role.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PresidentBeard posted:

They love the core rules but hate critically examining them. They seem to want to play something rules-lite but don't want to quit d20 for some reason.
Because they need to be playing D&D, or at least a game that "continues Gary's legacy".

I've run indie games for people at cons, and you would not believe how many people I've gotten playing stuff like DW or Fate who say things like "this is how we always played D&D/Pathfinder/WoD, really loose and ignoring a bunch of the rules. We didn't know there were games that worked like that out of the box!"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PresidentBeard posted:

Part of that is Paizo and White Wolf being much much better than those other games at getting advertising into stores and providing continuing support that validates previous purchases.

Paizo more than WW is about maintaining a sunk cost fallacy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I am somehow doubtful that Paizo has found the magic elfgame formula that will allow them to completely avoid the same slow but inexorable decline in sales that pretty much every other RPG publisher experiences over time which necessitates some sort of new edition or similar big release to get things moving again every so often.
Especially with a major part of the fanbase not liking change or New Things.

I've had Fate on the mind a lot lately, and it's interesting to see the reactions of Fate fans to new editions (SotC to DF to Fate Core) versus the D&D fanbase's reactions to the end of 3e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Honestly the fact that it's a Monte Cook game is the main thing that's preventing me from buying The Strange, even though it's a game that is completely and utterly in my thematic wheelhouse.

• Locked thread