Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
It's all 13th Age all the time in my IRL situation, except when I can't get people on the weekends for about six weeks coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Captain Foo posted:

everyone should play apocalypse world, thank you for listening

a pro post and a good opinion

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
You'd think that, as the de facto leader in the industry, Wizards should feel some sort of obligation to create not just a good game, but a forward-thinking one, inclusive, with no potential player turned away because "this game isn't for me". With their budget they could probably do it. Add in whatever they're paying Mearls and Smith and they could definitely do it.

As it stands the brand has become this monolithic thing that embodies TRADITION and VERISIMILITUDE and GYGAX'S LEGACY, among other code words for THE WAY I PLAYED BACK IN 1989. It suffocates innovation and collapses under its own weight anytime someone tries. Maybe I'll check back in five years when 6e is announced, but probably not.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I have an old picture of the Diablo supplement for AD&D saved somewhere in case I need to bring it up in an internet argument

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
So, Dark Sun?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I know the honeymoon is sort of over re: goonpinions of Dungeon World, but I would argue there's no better gateway to the magical land of "RPGs that are not Dungeons and Dragons". Have fun, Famethrowa! Post a trip report.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
For 4e specifically, http://dnd.wizards.com/digital_tools is the legal one. The OG offline one is floating around the internet but it's :filez: for the most part

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Night10194 posted:

I've been gaming with one of my groups since I was still in Undergrad 7 years ago, and we've run multiple long-term campaigns to conclusion. I suppose when that's my normal experience, PBP just seems too slow and death-prone to be especially interesting, especially as I'm used to writing longer plots.

I've never finished an IRL campaign, or even reached any reasonable stopping point, in any game that lasted more than one session, and I'm staring envy daggers at you from across the internet.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Mr. Maltose posted:

Last Stand's rules are 95% combat and that game loving owns.

I spent 30 seconds checking DriveThru and the Funhaver website; where do I buy it? This is the giant monsters fighting each other game, right?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
An IRL friend is running Pathfinder (no wait come back) and is distilling it down to its essence: party of 17th-level casters. As someone who played the game all of once as a low level rogue, could I feasibly create a fun character using only the SRD? Someone is playing an arcanist wizard already.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 18, 2015

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

NGDBSS posted:

Off the top of my head running around with a cleric or druid shouldn't be too bad for that setup. (Pathfinder's similar enough to 3.x that playing CoDzilla should still be valid.)

CoD being a divine spell, I take it? Call of Doom? I know very little about 3.5.

What if I wanted to be a warlock or some kind of dark mage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

PresidentBeard posted:

Arcanist and Wizard are two different types of caster. Is he multiclassed or something?

No, just Arcanist. I literally did not know there was a difference. Pathfinder!

PresidentBeard posted:

CoDzilla is less powerful than 3.5 (several of the staple spells were nerfed) but still very usable. It is just a cleric or druid who casts a bunch of self-buff spells on themselves prebattle and acts like an ultra-fighter.

What domains would I want for a battle cleric?

• Locked thread