Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I've still got World Wide Wrestling RPG stuck in my head, even after I didn't get picked for the PbP game. So I'm thinking of running a one-shot of it on IRC or Google Hangouts or something. But a lot of people don't seem to be interested in using IRC these days for games and I've no experience with hangouts or any other online alternatives.

Otherwise I've started playing Payday 2 again, which has my mind drifting back towards one-shot RPG One Last Job, even if the only similarity is the "Criminal Heist" theme.

My RPG mood is way too easily influenced by whatever video games or movies I've been watching lately. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yes. Play Apoc World and Apoc World Engine based games. Especially non-Dungeon World ones. Not that DW is terrible, but there are so many other neat ones out there!

One day I'll get to play WWWRPG or Night Witches. :allears: Speaking of WWWRPG.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

My group is fuckin loving World Wide Wrestling, what a great use of the Apocalypse Engine too.

Care to share any stories? What kind of characters are being played and whats going on?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, another neat mechanic for avoiding failure (though not one you directly control) is that each match has an "Announcer". The announcer is a player whose wrestler isn't directly involved in the match. Its his job to elaborate on the descriptions the active players give of their wrestling spots and give a colorful commentary. In addition, once per match he can "Put Over" each player wrestler by describing what they're doing in the most excited "OH MY GAWD!" sort of way. This automatically upgrades the player's roll one level, from a botch to a partial hit, or a partial hit to a full success.

Its a really cool usage of PbtA and Momentum is a neat pseudo-version of "Hold".

Momentum can also be spent in certain other ways too, like Heel characters can spend 2 momentum to trigger the Heel move, which lets them gain heat with their opponent (WWWRPG's version of Hx), Win a match even if Creative booked otherwise, "leave someone laying helplessly on the floor" (backstage Chair shot!), or weasel out of a match.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 2, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just be careful, FFG Star Wars is a cool system, but it looks like something a munchkin could easily break over his knee.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Seems fine to me. :shrug:

[edit] Oh hey, anyone who has WWWRPG but missed the kickstarter or whatever, the author just put up the five Season 1 gimmicks (The Giant, The Gatekeeper, The Provocateur, The Clown, and The Athlete) on his website as free/pay-what-you-want.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 3, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My biggest problem with PbtA games is none of the major ones draw me in that much. I'm not interested in Monster Hearts' premise. Dungeon World is "ok" and I'd probably try playing it, but overall is too much like D&D in various ways, IMO.Apocalypse World is the one I'd be most interested in playing, but I'm completely apathetic towards the post-apoc aesthetic.

Then there is the various smaller PbtA games/hacks, but a lot of the build off of Dungeon World's style of PbtA. WWWrpg is the first one that's really grabbed me.

Then again, I have basically no actual play experience with PbtA games aside from one in-ring match of a failed WWWrpg PbP game, so maybd I don't really know what I want.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 3, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: or Pink because Pink owns.

You're missing a Floyd or two in there. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Impermanent posted:

Vincent Baker's Apocalypse World: Dark Ages is going to make you happy.

How is work on that progressing, by the way?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yawgmoth posted:

I don't think I have ever seen a game with grappling rules that weren't awful.

quote:

WRESTLING:
When you have control of the match, you narrate the transitional sequences, working with your opponent to fill in the details. When a sequence leads up to a big spot or key move in the ring, narrate the maneuver and roll:
- If you execute a difficult, demanding or dangerous maneuver that showcases your technical wrestling ability roll+Work.
- If you put your opponent or yourself at legit risk by using your physical strength, roll+Power.
- If you execute a signature move, demonstrate your character through action or otherwise showcase your Gimmick, roll+Look.
- If you work with your opponent to execute an amazing and memorable sequence, roll+Heat.

✶On a 10+ you hit it great, retain control and pick one:
» gain +2 Momentum
» gain +1 Heat with your opponent
✶On a 7-9 you hit it pretty well, pick one:
» retain control and transition into the next sequence
» give your opponent control and gain +1 Momentum
✶On a Botch you get countered. You give 1 Momentum to your opponent, and they immediately take control of the match. (If you have no Momentum, they
still gain 1.)

:getin:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Plague of Hats posted:

What games have a mechanic similar to 13th Age's escalation die?

Every game you want to have it. :v:

As Night10194 says, I'd probably throw it into Feng Shui, I once proposed to my old Dark Heresy group to include it in our campaign, really anything vaguely like D&D is something you could put it into.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Awesome. Make sure to read Scrape and Evil Master'sminds Dungeon World guide.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I find this link very useful.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Loki_XLII posted:

I would love a Feng Shui video game. Like, I don't even care about the mechanics, I just want to run around in the setting.

I am fine with this as long as its made by Platinum.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

:rip: :smith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Eh, I love Feng Shui, but honestly its a bit of a dinosaur systemwise at this point. It had an important role in helping forge the path that lead to stuff like Fate and Apocalypse World though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't even know what a Modron is. :saddowns:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also I'm reading through the Blades in the Dark quickstart and listening to Protomen and I really want to use this game to run a setting based on Streets of Fire and the non-movie The Protomen's "The Cover Up" is the soundtrack for.

Blades in the Dark is loving awesome and everyone should check out that kickstarter and the quick start rules.

The game itself looks awesome. Plus, I can't wait until someone hacks a Shadowrun set for it so I can finally theoretically play Shadowun with a set of rules that aren't garbage. Also can't wait till someone makes hacks for half-a-dozen other things. I hope it becomes the next ApocWorld with regards to people hacking it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Error 404 posted:

I love how the base setting "Duskwall" is basically loving Dunwall from Dishonored. I mean it, that game owned, and I legit love what I see with this. Fuckin Backed.

To be fair its got a lot of other things thrown in the blender too!

Plus people in Dunwall don't come back as zombies ghosts if you don't use electroplasma to alchemically cremate the body within 3 or so days. :ghost:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Almost all of John Harper's RPGs on his website are free. Except the Greek Heroes one.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I showed Blades in the Dark to my old group's GM, earlier this week. He got so excited by it (in his words, its shamelessly pandering straight at everything he wants) that he's "put the band back together" so to speak and our group is actually gonna play its first game tomorrow since we went on indefinite hiatus last August. It may not last long before scheduling issues break us up again, but holy crap, another reason for me to love BitD, it got my group back together and I'm actually gonna play something! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I think that was more coincidence than intentional.

• Locked thread