Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm slowly chipping away at a dozen or so game projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Impermanent posted:

D&D is the rocket booster that this hobby needed in order to get into the atmosphere. We can safely leave it behind now that Apocalypse World exists.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

I'm not really going to go on and on about how loving awesome AW is, but it revitalized my interest for gaming and made me a much better GM than I ever was before.

This ad brought to you by the lumpley brothers

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

i don't know who those people are

Lumpley is Vince Baker's screen name.
It is a Koch brothers joke...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PresidentBeard posted:

*world games are well designed but fundamentally cater to a different playstyle than chunkier more rules laden games. As a result the more entrenched group sees *worlds games as an assault on their pastime. Getting used to the idea that there is room in the rpg market for both story games and rules heavy games is hard for some people to grasp. Though it also isn't helped by people insisting that their type of game is inherently better than others. Those most guilty of this seem to be Pathfinder fans, retroclone fans, and *worlds fans.

To say nothing of people who like both types.
Though I find I'm more about pbta 90% of the time.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Siivola posted:

Okay so think 3.5. Now imagine if you put together a team of competent engineers and technical writers, and told them to rewrite it to be fair and cool.

What I'm saying is, it's thick and dense and has a lot of mechanics.

With the addendum that, if you like that much crunch, it is a good game.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Famethrowa posted:

I just started running my first ever 3.5 campaign.

I feel so overwhelmed :negative:

Oh, you poor sap. :smith:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Famethrowa posted:

Is it possible to convert up to a later edition (or a good variant homebrew) that gets rid of the complicated bullshit but won't make me redo all my character sheets?

Grapple :argh:

Well, my 100% serious suggestion, if your group is down with it, is to switch to Dungeon World depending on what y'all are looking for in a game.

Also the dungeon world rules are online and free so you wouldn't have to drop any money on it.

Edit: it is a different system, so there'd be new character sheets, but they're WAAAAY less complex and should only take a few minutes to get back up and running.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 5, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Here's all the rules for free:
http://book.dwgazetteer.com/index.html
All the info is found under headings at the top of the page.

and here's the DW thread here on SA, where we're happy to answer any and all questions should you want to try converting over.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540201

IMO, DW does everything I've ever wanted D&D to do, so there you go for what it's worth.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 5, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Famethrowa posted:

Because I don't know people who have DMed before, and my friends have at most been to a handful of previous sessions. We are all learning together. :)

And I have played before, but very briefly and with a hacked together version of 3.5 my coworkers used. So I can barely count it.

And I can run 3.5 ok. We're just ignoring lots of the rule lawyery stuff, and it takes time to do complicated actions, but overall it's been fun. I just would rather be more consistent with the rules, and that would be easier in a less complex ruleset.

Yeah, the bolded parts are straight up default Dungeon World. :unsmith:

and whatever classes your players are running now, guaranteed there's a DW playbook (DW term for classes/character sheets) that is either exact, or close enough to not be a big deal to switch.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

awwwww yeaaaaah

Infinite emptyquote

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Walker posted:

I know the honeymoon is sort of over re: goonpinions of Dungeon World, but I would argue there's no better gateway to the magical land of "RPGs that are not Dungeons and Dragons". Have fun, Famethrowa! Post a trip report.

I'm not blind to its faults. But I feel like there's a couple different discussions going on wrt any particular game.

Discussion 1: is this game fun and playable enough to be worth my/your time?

Discussion 2: let's take apart and examine this thing and talk about design.

So, for me I will never not suggest DW or p. much any pbta game in discussion 1.

In discussion 2, there's all the talk about how DW isn't that great of an implementation of AW's design, it carries over a lot of unnecessary D&D baggage, the core classes are either boring or too one note, etc.

E: and my ultimate point is that sometimes there's a crossover or confusion about which discussion is happening at a given time

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 6, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I didn't like Monsterhearts much but Avery is a good person considering their alternative way of payment and I wish success on whatever they want to do now.

Same.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd rather think that PbP would be perfect for crunchy games because you have all the time in the world to obsess over all the rules and spergy bits.

You'd think, but add in all the other reasons people have to not post, and it makes it even slower.

God help you if there's a rules question.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PublicOpinion posted:

The best way to make a Monsterhearts video game is obviously to make it a visual novel.

Persona with a mass effect style dialog wheel and about half as much combat.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Error 404 posted:

Persona with a mass effect style dialog wheel and about half as much combat.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

NutritiousSnack posted:

D&D 4E is one of the best RPGs when it comes to the Game part of the role playing. Relatively well balanced and simple, full of options, versatility, and depth when you get into a fight. It's like a well deigned video game.

p much this.
I play almost exclusively pbta games these days, but I had a lot of fun playing 4E.

And STRIKE seems to be a good successor for 'everything I liked about 4E, and tearing out stuff I didn't like.'

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
gently caress Monte Cook and gently caress that game.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
What do you mean "those people"?

:v:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
They also jealously guard their candles.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tendales posted:

A setting where kobolds don't just fling themselves into the service of a big bad, but over the course of a couple generations start to physically resemble them. Kobolds serving a dragon become scaly little lizardfolk. Kobolds serving a lich become gaunt little mini-Renfields.

These guys serve Cerberus or something.

I'm down.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Simian_Prime posted:

I'm of the opinion that if you're going to present your RPG as a meatgrinder, character creation should 10 min, tops.

Your total stats should fit on an index card.

This, but for every game.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

According to Forum Gamemaster Ettin you have to talk about it in the industry chat thread.

And please do so, your pain is entertaining.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Blades in the Dark is loving awesome and everyone should check out that kickstarter and the quick start rules.

The game itself looks awesome. Plus, I can't wait until someone hacks a Shadowrun set for it so I can finally theoretically play Shadowun with a set of rules that aren't garbage. Also can't wait till someone makes hacks for half-a-dozen other things. I hope it becomes the next ApocWorld with regards to people hacking it.

I love how the base setting "Duskwall" is basically loving Dunwall from Dishonored. I mean it, that game owned, and I legit love what I see with this. Fuckin Backed.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

grassy gnoll posted:

"Halt," cries the wizened wizard. He extends one bandage-wrapped talon at you, which crackles with eldritch potential. "You may not pass unless you purchase three cases of potions of mangosteen!"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

fosborb posted:

I completely missed this part of the process. I'd love a link too.

I threw out some ideas very early (divide the dungeon into biomes iirc) and like a year later got a book in the mail and was like wow! this is a really cool dungeon! oh my god, I completely forgot we collectively bought this!

I threw out dumb jokes, I regret nothing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I mean, all you need to do is put together an OP that's just a blurb about BWG (with maybe a little about previous editions), a blurb about Mouse Guard with whatever the latest news about the new edition is, and a blurb about Torchbearer, with a nice banner per title.

Here you go, here are your three banners:

I feel really really dumb right now for never before noticing how Apoc World took the BW logo to use as the Harm clock.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

uh

It didn't, it's pretty clearly a circle with lines corresponding to the hours of harm

Indeed

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

fosborb posted:

I know someone who regularly plays in a Rat Queens-inspired Dungeon World game and I am insanely jealous of her.

It's not explicitly Rat Queens inspired, but the currently running DW pbp in the game room "the sealed land" very often reminds me of RQ.

Of course that's probably at least partly because the hard drinking, foul mouthed monk I play would fit into the comic perfectly.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

chaos rhames posted:

Sticking your dick in someone's ear is probably a recipe for dancing all night.

FTFY

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not making GBS threads on marginalized people

New topic, same as the old topic.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

The weak should not be coddled lol

So we should stop coddling you?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

extreme mental illnesses in my family.

It all becomes clear.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

MartianAgitator posted:

Yeah, it's exactly like that. It brings these things up to laugh at the tension they cause. It doesn't specifically call out "HEY, WE USE THIS RACIST/SEXIST/WHATEVER STEREOTYPE BECAUSE WE THINK IT IS RIDICULOUS AND FUN TO LAUGH AT" so some people believe that leaves too much room for actually racist/sexist/whatever people to feel vindicated by it. And it wouldn't do to be associated with such low-class scum. Cue the internet outrage.

Don't get me wrong, the game sucks. Apples to Apples works because some answers are gonna fit, some are gonna miss and some are gonna be funny. There's a prompt card in Cards Against Humanity that reads, "______: The Musical." Once you've seen that, you've experienced every card in the game. Every card fits that equally because all the answer cards are lists that teenagers wrote of things that are "soooo rando!". Two naked midgets making GBS threads in a bucket: The Musical. A bigger, blacker cock: The Musical. Helen Keller: The Musical. Repeat ad nauseum if you aren't already ad nauseumated. It will never be more or less funny than that.

Like, hey, I loved the first season of South Park. A gay dog? Barbara Streisand turning into a robot? It was awesome because it was like nothing I've ever seen before and totally crossed the line with joyous impunity. Since that first season I'm sure I've seen fewer than four whole episodes of South Park. It's all the same jokes. Everyone is incredibly awful and stupid, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Celebrities are incredibly bizarre aliens. Blah blah blah. Cards Against Humanity is mining the same source of humor though possibly with less nuance. Possibly.

So get offended if you want. Call it racist if you want. Part of the point of things like these are to inspire that outrage so that those outraged can be laughed at as well. You're clearly not comfortable and can't handle being uncomfortable. That tension is funny. Check out the youtube video of Frank Zappa debating an outraged Christian moralist about filthy song lyrics on Crossfire. Or listen to William F. Buckley talk about decency and gay rights. Or look at any picture of those concerned Prohibitionist ladies. Aren't they having a ball.

That's you! Chill out and laugh at yourself.

Speaking of lacking nuance, hi Zak.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fuego Fish posted:

OK so moving on from that post which I didn't read a word of, and which nobody else probably read either, in more important news it's my birthday today.

Happy Birthday!
Post in Xmengame (i dont know if its even your turn, just post cuz forge owns)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Evil Mastermind posted:

This was about a year and change ago. I actually didn't have insurance for a disturbingly long time (due to underemployment or being unemployed for a year and a half), but also because I was one of those people who was really uncomfortable about going to a doctor. But I am indeed now going on a regular basis.

I also lost a lot of weight and got my health numbers down under the "human max" range by watching my food intake and walking half an hour a day. So that's good!

(It also helped that my dietician was awesome.)

To steer things away from EM's healthchat, remember Fyxt?

I tried to make a character for a F&F post today, but it turns out that you can't actually create a full character without registering an account on the site. There are no rules on how you pick the actual effects of powers (just a reference loop), just how you pick your range/area of effect/number of targets. Powers are defined 4e style, except that you can shape effect squares however you want when you build the power. So if you want to drop tetris-shaped fireballs that's an option.

I guess the idea is that you build all your powers on their digital character sheets because that seems to be the only way to see what power effects are available for your character based on his stats.

There are other fun quirks, like how your basic combat attack is based off your highest stat, but applies to any weapon you use. So a fighty guy with Body 6 is just as good at sword swinging as the social character with Spirit 6 but a Body of 1.

Or how the way items work in the game is that they're all just fluff, and don't do anything unless you build an affect into them. You can't just say you have plate mail, you have to have an item with +whatever Defense called plate mail or it doesn't do jack. As near as I can tell, that also means that every piece of gear you want to have that can actually do something has to be point-built.

They honestly think that's innovative because they admit to never really looking closely at Champions.

Tetris shaped fireballs do sound pretty cool tbh.

Heart. Broken.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PurpleXVI posted:

Only one explicitly female piece in Chess? Wow, patriarchy. Where are my transsexual rooks?

Knights? More like equestrian otherkin.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Serf posted:

Yeah, looks like the chat thread is doing a great job of revealing exactly the people I would never want to game with. So in that respect: great job chat thread!

I would like to game with you.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

I'm going to GM a game on April, for both of you, maybe.

I don't agree with you most of the time, but I had fun when we were in Wolery's 4E game awhile ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Thomamelas posted:

There was a shared world anthology series that had a useful solution for this. Super Science works for super scientists in their presence. Anyone else tries to replicate it and it just doesn't work. Or if they make something and die, the item stops working.

The Worm webserial also handled it elegantly with their 'Tinkers' powers.

Think about how buggy and in need of tech support your average piece of computer tech is. Even things that are widely used tend to breakdown without regular updates, reboots, and defrags.

So every piece of supertech is not only unique, having its own unique bugs, but it represents a time investment on the part of the tinker even after its been built to keep it running (see Tony Stark and his suits)

So a tinker can only realistically provide tech support for the gear they use regularly, and maybe a few other things that they made for friends or partners, and still have the time necessary for building new poo poo.

• Locked thread