Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
They've just announced a Dying Earth RPG bundle of holding. Is it worth it? It looks real interesting and I'm a fan of Robin Laws' work but I'm afraid it might fall in the Feng Shui trap of presenting cool ideas in an ambitious but ultimately poor system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

FMguru posted:

It's superb, and wonderfully captures everything about Vance's prose and worldview. It's really three games in one - a low-power game of scam artists getting into trouble over and over again (the Cugel stories), a mid-power game of grim adventurers exploring a weird sword-and-sorcery world (the original DE short stories), and a high-level game of dimension-hopping politics among bitchy archmages (Rhiallto-level); the system is tuned for the first framework and needs some kludging to really work for the next two.

It might be my favorite RPG of all time.

Thanks, this sounds interesting. Sorry for barging in on the larger discussion.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

In my experience players will default to ask the GM for setting details anyway, so it's pretty easy for the GM to balance how much they're going to bounce the question back at the players with a "I don't know, what do you think?" And you can do that without explicit rules for player participation in the setting.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Here Santa is known as "Homem do Saco" aka Bagman and he is either an ecuadorian immigrant or a gypsy (or Roma) that steals children to sell their organs.

Other heavy-hitters of Brazilian folklore include a headless horse who spits fire through its nose, the eighth son after seven daughters becoming a werewolf (like a Discworld wizard went wrong), "huge snake only it's on fire", that guy with beer bottles for feet which I never got the point of, pipe-smoking half-naked one-legged black child, and a sexy porpoise.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

ScaryJen posted:

I wanna play this RPG story game.

I was going to make a huge effortpost about folklore in my Challenge of the Bandeirantes F&F but I just couldn't get through the game. It can be described as "GURPS without the exciting parts", that's how boring it is.

Ratpick posted:

In case you didn't know, Satan Santa Claus is from Finland.

Thing about Santa is, he was a certified badass.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Also the flaming hair goblin with backwards feet.

The curupira is genuinely cool though. An indian child with hair on fire and backwards feet (so you can't track him) and a big stick, who will beat you the gently caress up if you aren't eco-friendly.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I am so looking forward to this.

My character will be so broody you have no idea.

I'm as much into making fun of terrible stereotypes as the next man (the looks section is amazing), but when you turn that into an RPG, devote your game design energies to it, and expect players to sink 3-4 hours of their times, multiple times, into it, isn't that going a bit far with the "ironic" appreciation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Covok posted:

That anime WoD supplement someone posted earlier made me wonder how many bad, fanmade rpgs supplements were made in the 90s based on anime. Kind of doubt any were good.

Not the 90's, but Naruto d20 is an absolutely fascinating clusterfuck :allears: pretty sure there was a F&F for it.

• Locked thread