Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
My plans for March include getting a Fellowship playtest out and helping with Dies of March, a roleplaying charity stream coming March 13-15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

AmiYumi posted:

The InverseWorldGames Gmail account. If I can still get in, I'll paypal you ASAP. LET ME GIVE YOU MONEY, BRO.

I don't think I have ever checked that email account in my life, I only made it to make a second paypal to keep backer money separate from my personal money. If you forward the money to that paypal with a message telling us what backer tier you want, we'll get you sorted as soon as there is material to send out. Which should be sometime this month or next, at the rate we've been going, so we should be on time with the core book release.

I'll be honest, I actually forgot we set up a late backer system, so I'm sorta glad for the reminder. Gotta make sure those people get their rewards too!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Quarex posted:

I recently learned the last straw was when he tried to heal someone out of combat and the GM told him that was not how the game worked and so he apparently got up and left the table (this was at PAX East). Googling has failed to answer the question for me of whether that GM had no idea what was going on or whether that is, indeed, how the game works.

How out of combat healing works in 4E is that you have a bunch of Healing Surges, which represent your longterm endurance, and out of combat you can just auto-heal by spending a bunch of surges to get your HPs back. It's a built in solution to the problem where everyone in 3.5 ended up carrying a Wand of Cure Light Wounds everywhere they go to heal up between battles anyway.

So I'm assuming what happened is your friend went "I'm gonna use Healing Word on my injured friend now that battle is over" and the GM likely told him some variation of "you don't really need to do that, that guy can use their healing surges and they'll be ready for the next battle anyway". He might not have gotten to the second part of that explanation before your friend left though. There is a lot of irrational hatred for 4th edition out there.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of which, what's the latest on the IW hardcopies?

Everything should be out now except the Personalized Tier and the Illustrated Tier. I have finished doing art for every single physical book, and all of them are in Mikan's hands now. She needs to write all over them for the Personalized Tier stuff, and then mail them out. I'll ask her for a status report next time she's online, we're probably due for an update.

If you are waiting on something other than those things, let me know so I can sort you out.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Echophonic posted:

I had a clean copy in addition to a personalized one, would those be going out together?

Yeah, they'll be bundled together to save on postage. Sorry about that.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

DalaranJ posted:

I don't think I've ever played a game where the core system was just adequate and the game didn't get amazing until supplements came out. Are there games like that?

(GURPS maybe?)

This basically sums up Dungeon World for me. The core playbooks are dull and uninspired, the steading rules are pointless, and the core book is unclear in more than a few places, but especially in DM advice. Dungeon World doesn't really come into its own until you start adding in all the cool supplemental playbooks other people have written. Hell, the main reason I wrote so many playbooks is because dungeon world core just could not do any of the fun things I wanted it to.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Plague of Hats posted:

What games have a mechanic similar to 13th Age's escalation die?

13th Age is the only game with it, really, which is a serious shame. 13th Age is pretty new, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if other people start using the concept in their games. I know it's something I've been thinking about putting in if I ever design a combat-heavy game that isn't *World based.

And like Galaga above me said, you could fairly easily port it over.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Sagan posted:

It's not ideal if you're not specifically looking to do a game about D&D-style dungeon-crawling, but until Gnome makes me a playtester or releases Fellowship I'm gonna say it's the best thing going in fantasy adventure gaming.

Here's hoping Fellowship replaces it for the best, because that'd be just fantastic.

I should have a playtest out in the next week or two. I was going to have it out this week but I got a new apartment and moving is time consuming. The current plan is to get a playtest out there, fill out the book with anything it is currently lacking, and then run a kickstarter for it to cover the art costs I've put into it, with more money beyond the goal going into getting more art and making the book the best it can be. I'll be honest, the kickstarter will be as much for the publicity as anything else.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
It's closed playtesting, in the "ask me and I'll hook you up" sense. An online playtest would be just fine by me, as long as you aren't spreading the rules everywhere. Giving 'em to your players is a-okay.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
http://www.twitch.tv/diesofmarch I probably should've posted this two hours ago but the Dies of March charity stream is going on right now. Quote of the night: "And that was when I discovered the true nature of a toaster is not to create toast, but to DESTROY BREAD."

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The other thing is that a lot of dice rolling games have no or very little luck mitigation and use a swingy die roll. The d20 is extremely swingy, but because D&D uses it, it's sort of the go-to mainstream die to roll. And I really don't like d20s, where it is equally likely I will roll a 2 or an 18, while I usually have a +6 bonus or so. It can feel very arbitrary whether or not I succeed at something I really want to do or not. This is compounded by most d20-using games having absolutely no effect on a miss. If you fail a roll, nothing happens! Unless it was a defense roll, and then nothing happens if you roll good!

Dice rolling is fine and good and a fun way to determine randomization, but if the randomization isn't meaningful then it isn't any fun to me. If my attack only has two potential outcomes, "deal damage" or "do nothing", then the roll to hit directly determines whether or not I'm allowed to contribute at all during this turn. Losing turns is the worst mechanic in anything, period, and hiding it behind whether or not you can roll good doesn't improve it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Oh god. :( From the Kickstarter:

:(
:(

It is a heartbreaker.

Okay, I think we should stop mocking Fyxt now, because it is just too sad. I am too sad. I don't want to read this thread anymore.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

UnCO3 posted:

Well if you want another topic: What was the development of Law's Out like?

Actually that is a kind of hilarious story. I was working on a board game on the side for a while, off and on, with auctioning as a core mechanic for building up resources before "the real game", and I kept coming across the major problem that the auctioning part was more fun and interesting than anything else I could think of. I kept wracking my brains on it for ages on how to do something about that.

I was at my grandparent's place with no internet when I realized that I should rethink it from the ground up, and figure out how I could use auctioning as the core mechanic of a game. And then I had the idea, what if you bid for control of a scene, a la Fiasco? I had just bought Fiasco and had brought it with me while I was internet-free, and the more I thought about it the more I liked the idea.

From there, I wrote the entire game in under 24 hours in a notebook, then transferred it to writing on my PC. I tossed it around for a couple days, edited a few things, re-read it a few times, and then said "Alright I'm done thinking about this, let's upload it to the internet and see what happens". So the entire turnaround from writing it to finishing it was about 3 days, and then it was on DTRPG within a week of that after I got art and some formatting done.

So the entire turnaround from "initial idea" to "on the market" was about 8 days. It was extremely spur of the moment. I just had an idea and ran with it, and I really like the result. If you look closely, you can even find two typos in Law's Out that I missed, and I didn't clarify something about the Devil I should've. (If the Devil places a second bid after someone has taken the devil's deal, that person takes the second bid too).

I'm absolutely going to be writing more playsets for the system, but I'm focusing on finishing up Fellowship first right now, since it is much later than I'd like it to be. But that's gonna be the next project. I even have a name for the auctioning system - Final Bid. Law's Out is officially the first Final Bid playset.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

UnCO3 posted:

I did notice the typoes - plus you said on the 6FU episode that it was probably the first time it'd been played, which is actually why I was interested in how it happened.

If you're talking playsets, I was thinking about maybe adapting the system to mountain climbing, what with how cut-throat, high-stakes and tense it can be. One mandatory character would be the Mountain - a bunch of their resources would be notoriously difficult and dangerous parts of the climb and the unpredictable weather, and they'd probably have an ability kind of like the Baron's where they can make the same bid as long as it's altitude or altitude-related. All the other characters would be different shades of mountain climber - the Tourist, the Veteran, the Soloist etc..

That sounds really cool and I heartily endorse the idea of that playset.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

UnCO3 posted:

It would make the game much longer and probably mess with the pacing, but what do you think about essentially playing two games back-to-back in one overall story - one for the ascent (themes of accomplishment and prestige) and one for the descent (themes of survival and longing for home)? Each would have its own separate Rise/Fall tracking, so even if people were Falling during the ascent you'd still start the second half with a Rise. This opens up a bunch of other problems though, like whether the Rises and Falls should be more general or whether there should be separate Rises and Falls for each half, in addition to time/pacing issues.

Yeah, playing around with how Rising and Falling works is one of the bigger things I was thinking of mixing up between playsets. There isn't any real reason why no one call Rise after someone Fell, except that it sort of fits the tone of how Western movies tend to have things snowball from bad to worse as soon as something bad happens. For The Mountain, maybe you could give each role two Rises and two Falls - they must use a Rise on the way up the mountain, and then they must use a Fall on the way back down. Or something like that.

There is a lot of design space to work with here, I think. It's a very experimental system right now.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
To expand upon what Lord Frisk said: It was a dungeon adventure module that is basically the ultimate expression of "GM vs Players". Every single thing in it is designed to kill players, and the module punishes you harshly for not being psychic/super careful with your wording/reading the adventure before you play it. There's things like "this room has a locked door and a statue with an open mouth in it." And if you reach into the mouth, the logical place to check for a key or a switch of some kind, your PC instantly disintegrates. And there's one room where if you touch a thing you summon a high level demon, which your players have literally zero chance of defeating in combat, and it destroys you all with fireball spells.

It is a shining example of a sadistic era of gaming history.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
There's no way to know except to make a thread! :justpost:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yeah, far and away the game's best use is identifying the bigots in your group.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Helical Nightmares posted:

Goddamn guys. I come here to discuss and analyze games. If I wanted a moral outrage I'd go to Debate and Discussion.

Sorry dude, games are inherently political. If you think a game is apolitical, you are simply blind to the inherent politics of that game. A lot of analyzing games at anything deeper than a surface or mechanical level involves analyzing the politics of those games. So as the best place on the internet to actually analyze games, we're gonna get into the politics of those games rather often here. And like any topic, we talk about the things we hate just as much as the things we love, so gross politics are gonna come up, and generally be called out for how gross and awful they are.

So. You know.

Deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bedlamdan posted:

That it did, and I have no idea why they do stuff like this for unfinished series because it always turns into a haphazard mess as the show outpaces the comic.

They do it because making an anime at the height of a manga's popularity is basically like printing money. More often than not, a lot of manga tend to peter out or have really bad endings, too, so waiting until a manga finishes before making an anime for it runs the risk that the ending might ruin everything up to that point, or a bad ending may leave a sour taste in the mouths of a lot of potential viewers. Which is why we got an Attack on Titan anime when there were only 35 chapters of the manga out, and why we get issues where the One Piece anime has to translate one chapter of manga per episode of anime because it caught up years ago, making the anime's pacing absolutely glacial.

So basically, capitalism corrupts artistic quality.

• Locked thread