Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

gnome7 posted:

This basically sums up Dungeon World for me. The core playbooks are dull and uninspired, the steading rules are pointless, and the core book is unclear in more than a few places, but especially in DM advice. Dungeon World doesn't really come into its own until you start adding in all the cool supplemental playbooks other people have written. Hell, the main reason I wrote so many playbooks is because dungeon world core just could not do any of the fun things I wanted it to.

The moment one realizes that the reason there is more third party content for Dungeon World than any other PbtA game is not because it's the most popular of them is the moment they progress towards tabletop enlightenment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Impermanent posted:

It really is funny how the playbooks for Apocalypse World can encapsulate character archetypes as diverse as "batman, luchador, Rorsharch, Jacket, Phantom of the Opera, Tuxedo Mask, Jim Carrey or Green Goblin." Meanwhile Dungeon World's playbooks with far more moves and text allow you to play "D&D fighter" or "D&D wizard."

It's not that surprising. The more moves and rules space you occupy the more specific you are, because by saying "This move lets you do X" you're also saying "Not having this move means you can't X". That's not even, necessarily, a strike against Dungeon World! It's just that the specific spaces are occupied by the most boring beige poo poo, I mean drat.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

*world games are good if you are a child or teenager playing for the first time but you can't take it seriously as an adult. *puffs on pipe sagely*

Why?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Captain Foo posted:

lol don't talk to plutonis

Since it's March Madness I figure I'll be shithouse crazy and engage in regrettable behaviour.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

hella cool Exalted characters

There's no such thing, though.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Are you trolling or being disingenuous on purpose?

I would think that as a master of both you would be able to distinguish the two.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

All Exalted characters I played and some of the ones my friends made were on fleek.

Much like one's children, a person's pretendmen always appear cool despite reality.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

fosborb posted:

Can we all at least agree that the Apocalypse popcorn recipe is an embarrassment?

Has there ever been a TG recipe that wasn't really bad? Excepting of course the D&D 5E Cooking and Riddle Megathread.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Evil Mastermind posted:

I still cannot figure out why nobody's done this yet.

Last Stand is half a shade away. There was going to be even more MH-esque mechanics but we all know how that story went.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Helical Nightmares posted:

The Quiet Year is a really good game.

They have a tendency to peter out very quickly in play by posts though.

To be fair, that's 90% of PbP regardless of system.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's basically the newest version of FATE with a light layering of pulp action scifi on it. It apparently worked out a lot of kinks from FATE core, but I'm not up to date on the exact details.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
How did you house rule out the hateful toxicity and history of harassment?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If a game claims to be Shonen emulator but I can't use my power of strings to fold myself into a Mobius Strip to avoid the crushing onset of gravity accelerated time then it's no shonen game at all.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

PresidentBeard posted:

The same way people get rid of the history of pedophilia in Polaris games.

Holy poo poo how is that even comparable. Like, actual people were actually affected by things that happened in the real world relating to 5E. I'm sorry I defended a badwrongfun game but on the other hand go gently caress yourself.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Ben Lehman made a bad game, Mike Mearls forwarded emails of concern to a serial harasser. Or like we call it here in the trad games business, the same drat thing apparently.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

bunnielab posted:

I'm just build a spear, hangout in neighborhood storm drains, and fight raccoons. They are pretty close to goblins.

Racoons are more like Kobolds, honestly.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Last Stand's rules are 95% combat and that game loving owns.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

PublicOpinion posted:

Last Stand has characters represented by an armor card and a selection of power cards, each of which granted an ability and a bonus to a few stats. The default character creation method is by card draft, but random draw also works (as does choosing all your cards, or choosing some and getting the rest at random). I'd like to see another game on something like that.

And it's pretty amazing how much character you can see out of a semi-random collection of powers.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Please buy our misogyny engine now with criticism deflecting scholarships.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
sorry for making a joke, I just want to be like you cool guys who give no fucks...

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Captain Foo posted:

please don't group me with Plutonis

Yeah, that was definitely beyond the pale. My apologies.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Great to see the anti-latino racism they display against me.

I'll have you know I'm prejudiced against bad posters regardless of race or creed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

I'm sincere all the time here. Schizophrenic dissociation between irony man and sincerity man on different boards is the key of posting. That's what makes me a good player as well, you gotta become a goblin or elf inside your very mind before you write or talk as one... Psychodrama poo poo, man.

The attempt or desire to abandon oneself entirely into a role is the sign of an actor with weak craft.

• Locked thread