Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I recently got Kuro, I never thought I'd love a blend of Blade Runner and Japanese horror but welp this is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
My group is fuckin loving World Wide Wrestling, what a great use of the Apocalypse Engine too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Imma play Exalted Third Edition, the game I was most hyped for since forever and with god as my witness I will run the Imp Zone PBP game

Is that coming this month? I kinda started tuning out after the fifteenth 'hey the book is ALMOST DONE WE SWEAR but here's a picture'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Pendragon is great if your group is also all into the source material.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Besides which, this was really old school D&D, which was much more a tabletop version of Diablo, or even better, Darkest Dungeon, than what it is today. Much more game oriented. Characters could be built quickly and were basically disposable - if they died, just scratch in a new name and try again. Even the experience rules were designed with the idea that replacement characters would just drop in. For the kind of game old D&D games was, Tucker's Kobolds was good GMing.

The problem with the adversarial DMing/fantasy loving Vietnam model isn't that it's inherently bad, it's that it gets used in game systems that don't work well for it and as a gotcha when the GM gets mad instead of an agreed upon feature of the game. Or that its presented as the "correct" way to play, rather than just a different one.

Yea I have zero problem with meatgrinder games when the rules are built around them. It can be really entertaining to have your entire party desperately die to a bandit ambush or something only to bring your new guys almost right back into the game. The issue comes when just lovely games justify bad combat rules with 'uh it's a highly lethal game, yea, that's it' even though making a character takes forever and is annoying.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you're ever not playing a Modron what's wrong with you

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

chaos rhames posted:

How does a rogue modron work? That seems like a cold fire elemental.

Modrons are straight up robots, a 'rogue' one basically has a free will and all that jazz. Not so much 'gently caress my old job' just 'oh, poo poo, I can actually do things and not think my superiors are going to dissolve me with light or whatever, cool'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea if you want "old D&D hard" Against The Giants is way better because at the very least when you're bullshit killed because you rolled one dice bad, you see how in the hosed up D&D logic of the world it happened. There's almost no 'you failed to tap the door three times and say the word fartknocker in Elf talk, you turn to ash' poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If everyone is 100% clear what they're getting into it can be fun to just laugh at stupid ways you died. Like, treat it like a joke, have your players play dumb characters, giggle when Zorplax The Halfling Bard gets his lower half dissolved by a black hole for no reason.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kellsterik posted:

That kind of came out of nowhere. Do orcs...shapeshift or anything?

Bigger Orc

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

This is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Covok posted:

While we are the subject of gaming peripherals, is this worth it?

Looks neat but not 30 bucks neat

• Locked thread