Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Was going to run Dungeon World today, but two of my three players couldn't make it, so I had to cancel. :(

Bummed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Impermanent posted:

D&D is the rocket booster that this hobby needed in order to get into the atmosphere. We can safely leave it behind now that Apocalypse World exists.

Yeah, D&D is basically the archetypal RPG, much like Superman is the archetypal superhero and the Sex Pistols are the archetypal punk band. What do all archetypes have in common?... They don't age well.

5e is making its debut in an era where there are dozens of games that capture the flavor of D&D better than D&D.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

gnome7 posted:

This basically sums up Dungeon World for me. The core playbooks are dull and uninspired, the steading rules are pointless, and the core book is unclear in more than a few places, but especially in DM advice. Dungeon World doesn't really come into its own until you start adding in all the cool supplemental playbooks other people have written. Hell, the main reason I wrote so many playbooks is because dungeon world core just could not do any of the fun things I wanted it to.

EDIT: Made a stupid shitpost and unwarranted PA. Sorry.

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 3, 2015

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Well that came out of nowhere.

You're right. gnome7, and all, I apologize. That was uncalled for.

Having a really bad day/week, and trolling about elfgames doesn't help anybody.

I think I need a break. Getting way too wrapped up in all this. Sorry, everybody.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

FMguru posted:

He just picked up a long probation over at RPGnet and the rather curt and blunt ban message shows that even RPGnet's mods are getting tired of his routine.

*reads thread*

*starts making a Blue Rose campaign mod for Lamentations of the Flame Princess*

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Whether or not OGL material can be used for a video game hasn't been put to the test. Does that card game still use rust monsters and other distinctly D&D critters? That seems like it could be an issue for translating adventure paths to a card game and then into a video game.

Weren't the Star Wars: KOTOR games based on the SW d20 system? It seemed to work pretty well because, funny enough, d20 is actually tolerable with a computer running all the calculations for you. What's stopping PF from doing the same?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

If the idea of "I'm worried that this game is going to go nowhere and resolve unsatisfactorily" is keeping you from playing then it's possible you're in the wrong hobby. I have never, not once, had a game either face-to-face or online resolve with any sort of narrative finality or even on a solid cliffhanger. Games that achieve a satisfactory conclusion in this hobby are in a stark minority compared to games that peter out and quietly die.

I mean, if all those "What is roleplaying?" sections in RPG books were halfway honest this is a thing they'd be telling new players. "All those dreams you have of epic stories that come to a triumphant close after years of regular play, you better temper that poo poo." Going into roleplaying with an attitude of "I'm gonna try and have fun with this for as long as it goes" is, I've found, a lot more satisfying than getting bummed every time a game fizzles out because a lot more games are going to fizzle out before you find one that goes somewhere.

Hey, I'm in the stark minority! Cool. Just gonna bask in the fleeting feelings of achievement...

But yeah, the majority of my games fizzle, too. Not even from flakey players, just from the hassles of RL; careers and such. Having an addendum for that in RPG books would be good advice.

I think it's why I'm shifting my focus to sandbox gaming - there's no "epic plot" you have to worry so much about maintaining.

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 10, 2015

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

What would you (the thread) think of a video game based on a *World or Fate property? How would the storygame format translate into a video game?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

I just wanna know if combat is still a nonsensical pile of overcomplicated bullshit or not.

It is. It's a shame.

Brian Clevinger (Atomic Robo comic and Fate RPG) wrote an open letter a while back to the Ex3 developers hoping that they'd take a less complex, more intuitive approach to the rules; something more akin to Fate. Their response on rpg.net was basically "Nah, we love overcomplicated bullshit."

EDIT: Here's the letter

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 13, 2015

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

The tick mechanic was taken from Feng Shui (a lot of Exalted mechanics were basically a clumsy attempt to graft Feng Shui's innovations onto the Storyteller system). It worked ok for FS because the system didn't really have much in the way of moving parts, but once you started being able to manipulate the battle wheel with extra action Charms and weapon speeds it became a total clusterfuck.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Geoff Grabowski, the 1e developer, was a writer for later FS books like Golden Comeback. The main influences he took from FS were the mook rules, stunt bonuses, and the trees for Fu Schticks that evolved into Charm trees.

Grabowski was gone by the time 2e rolled in, and the developers mistakenly thought "if *these* mechanics from FS work, then surely the battle wheel will!"

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Covok posted:

Got a link to their response on rpg.net? Just curious.

Here you go.

I think it's pretty telling that so many of the Ex3 developers are current and former rpg.net mods. That whole site seems like it's stuck in 2001.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Splicer posted:

Like you wouldn't watch CHUD Danny DeVito.

It's Always Sunny in Volivat!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I'm of the opinion that if you're going to present your RPG as a meatgrinder, character creation should take 10 min, tops.

Your total stats should fit on an index card.

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 15, 2015

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Mince Pieface posted:

The funny thing is, a Necromancer with Rebuke Undead would have more reason than anyone to try to kill Acererak, and it makes absolutely no sense that a bunch of Necromancers would be helping him. If Acererak succeeds in Return to the Tomb of Horrors, the result is that all undead everywhere are directly under Acererak's control, and all the other Necromancers are out of a job.

Yeah, but the necromancers don't know that. They're like the chumps in a pyramid scheme who all think they're going to get-rich-quick from selling protein shakes and timeshares.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

"Halt," cries the wizened wizard. He extends one bandage-wrapped talon at you, which crackles with eldritch potential. "You may not pass unless you purchase three cases of potions of mangosteen!"

"While you're at it, buy a timeshare on the Negative Material Plane! You can rent it to your friends on the off-season! It's like making gold pieces on vacation!"

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

I think one part of that which definitely needs reviving is the concept of the "Lord" level: Up to and including 2nd edition AD&D, it was assumed that when you hit 9th level, you'd start settling down. Advancement in fighting power(HP) and other adventuring stuff would start slowing down, just murdering things would not provide a lot of XP(relative to how much you needed) unless you went hunting dragons or something(not a clever idea) and your character had probably spent a good while adventuring by that point, up to a decade or so(in-game time). Instead of just retiring and buying a farm, however, every single class had a specific note for 9th level detailing what sort of followers they could attract, and what sort of "fortress" it was suggested they build(guilds for thieves, towers for mages, meditation retreats for monks, temples for clerics, etc.).

For the DM, it was suggested that they advance towards something more political, dealing with matters of the realm, not just tearing out monster hearts with their bare hands(though of course, sometimes that might still be called for). That they be shifted into the background as time went by, becoming parts of the setting as players shifted to a new "generation" of characters, with the old favourites occasionally getting brought out to counter huge threats to the world.

Firstly, it's great that there's a concept for changing the gameplay so it's not just the same poo poo from level 1 to 30, but with increasing numbers. Secondly, I like the idea that the ultimate "reward" isn't hitting level 20 and winning the game, it's having your character become a notable guy in the setting, a mover and shaker, maybe even a legend, and then playing the "next generation" who grew up with him or her having an impact on politics, being told stories of their adventures and maybe looking up to them.

The Adventurer, Conquerer, King System is a hack of B/X D&D that was designed to do exactly that. It details and codifies a lot of that post-dungeon gameplay that was hinted on in early D&D, but never really expanded upon. As a system, ACKS is a little too nitpicky for me, but I like its approach to fleshing out how to actually run a thieves guild, in-game.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Elfgames posted:

But if i wanted to play that why wouldn't i start a game as the lord and you know probably play a system that was designed to support that playstyle much better.

Settlers of Catan: the RPG?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Been reading A Red and Pleasant Land for LotFP, and I really enjoy the setting (basically an Alice-in-Wonderland-style fantasy world ruled by bizarre vampires ala-Legacy of Kain).

It tears me up because I know that Zak S is an enormous douchebag, but I really like the elements of the setting and the artwork (I'd like to see more modern, abstract, and Expressionist-style art in RPGs in general). I want to run a game in PbP (or any LotFP game), but I'm not sure I'd even find anybody willing to play (Even talk about LotFP is outright banned in the retroclone games forum).

Frustrating! Pretty sure this book will just end up in the category of "Games I like but will never run/play."

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Tollymain posted:

The base system is by Raggi whatshisface, another similarly upstanding member of the rpg developer community

Yeah, I read a lot about Raggi, but I don't really get most of the hate; he doesn't start smear campaigns against people, or denigrate people who enjoy different types of games from him (as far as I've seen). The worst he seems to do is stir up poo poo to promote controversy (though publishing Carcosa was a stupid thing to do).

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Flavivirus posted:

Pretty sure they were using "D&D" as a synonym for OSR - WoTC aren't about to start hiring this guy.

From what I've seen Raggi is mostly lovely because:

1) The 'grindhouse' aesthetic he goes for tends to be pretty misogynistic in art and content - see the core book's art and Death Love Doom.
2) He intentionally stirs up controversy as a publicity stunt - see him fanning the flames of consultancygate when Red and Pleasant Land was about to come out, using anti-Zak quotes from people harassed by him in publicity materials, and likely this Varg thing.

Also the game and adventures he has written don't do anything to create the Weird Fantasy tone he says he's aiming for, but if I was to get annoyed at that there's a very long list of designers I'd have to be annoyed at.

I've read the Grindhouse corebook, and I'd actually say it's a fairly even split of violence against women vs. violence against men. It's mostly violence against people, which is a factor in the sort of horror he's going for. My first D&D game ever was set in Ravenloft, and I like that LotFP captures much the same vibe as Ravenloft, but willing to go to even darker places.

And it should also be said that Raggi collaborates with many good writers (Kenneth Hite, Vincent Baker) as well as bad (Zak S, the Carcosa guys).

I'm not say that he's some kind of Platonic ideal RPG designer, but I don't think he is, as the Retroclone thread says, "a cancer on the industry."

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

I don't know if just a bit creepy counts for a man who really likes a movie that features actual animals being mutilated on camera.

Care to elaborate? What movie?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

CAH is like half actual hilarious potential card combos, half terribly bigotry. gently caress racist humor, I'm in it for the bleak humor. But that latter half just keeps poppin' up, ruining the game!"

"Despite humanity's progress, we are still largely defined, and divided by, the stereotypes of race, class, and gender."

Seems pretty bleak to me. :smith:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

If I can't punch down, how am I supposed to throw Hadokens?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Excellent!

(I kinda didn't get the reference to the "Supreme Court has declared racism to be over" part. When did this happen?)

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

No one ate pussy in westeros before he mucked box on that ginger chick?

Geez, no wonder everybody's so bloodthirsty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Ratpick posted:

In case you didn't know, Satan Santa Claus is from Finland.

Concept art for the Lamentations of the Flame Princess Christmas Spectacular

• Locked thread