Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There's a new Torg bundle up, with all the sourcebooks that weren't in the first one. I kinda don't like the idea of splitting up a game line like that, but I suppose it might drive higher sales from those whose interest was piqued by one of the bundles but missed the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

paradoxGentleman posted:

The more I hear about D&D NEXT the more glad I am that I never tried it. I still have to check out 4th edition, in fact.

4th edition's biggest failing, as far as I can tell, is that it was colorful and clear. This meant it was a baby toy for babies. Plenty of the actual mechanics aren't actually far off from what all the grogs said they wanted, and in fact many of them complain about differences that don't even actually exist. They wouldn't even mind the carefully refined balance of the math in the game if only the wizard powers were just, I don't know, described as doing the exact same things but with forty times the word count.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

Has he? I could have sworn someone was talking about how he was dogging on it too, presumably for not being 3E enough and the passing nod towards inclusivity in the chargen section.

No, Pundit's been slobbering all over it since before it came out. He'd start a loving thread like "Is D&D5 super-great, or super-awesome?" like every other week when I was still poking my head into the Site. I've seen him trot out a few criticisms, but for some reason they just don't have the usual tone you'd expect!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

What games have a mechanic similar to 13th Age's escalation die?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Now that I think of it, every single game I was ever in that went for "replacement PCs start at level 1" never got to a point that it mattered. Through some combination of GMs giving no fucks about the rules that could get you killed, PCs being too survivable by the time a meaningful level difference would result, rare careful action from the players, or the even rarer "dude quit because he doesn't want to restart at level 1." People kept trying it, but it seems like the natural state even discounting players quitting over it was just total avoidance even from those who seemed excited by the idea. And I haven't even seen somebody go for that poo poo in maybe over a decade.

gnome7 posted:

13th Age is the only game with it, really, which is a serious shame. 13th Age is pretty new, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if other people start using the concept in their games. I know it's something I've been thinking about putting in if I ever design a combat-heavy game that isn't *World based.

And like Galaga above me said, you could fairly easily port it over.

Well yeah, but I ask because I'm curious to see new twists on it. See others' mistakes and innovations, y'know.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

Oh, he's still alive and still, to the best of my knowledge, acting like a cranky old man pastiche on RPGnet. And you're in luck because I believe he did Kickstart a book though I don't know if it's out yet and can't speak to its quality if so.

I think the Kickstarter has been coming "real soon now" for like a couple years. I probably would've even bought the book, especially after getting into Designers & Dragons. Except, after one of his many non-permabans from RPGnet, he went wallowing in RPGSite in a very "I am cool and hip like you kids, look how I poo poo on RPGnet." He made a lot of noise about how he's only on RPGnet now to trick those dummies into buying his book. To RPGSite's credit, no one gave a poo poo about his drat fool antics. Plus all his annoying "quirks" that RPGnet somehow hasn't perma-banned him (again) for, though I probably would have held my nose on that.

TLDR: OldGeezer is a piece of poo poo, don't buy/fund his book.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

FMguru posted:

He just picked up a long probation over at RPGnet and the rather curt and blunt ban message shows that even RPGnet's mods are getting tired of his routine.

I dunno, sounds a lot like previous bans of his, including his one or two permas.

Edit: Looking at the infraction, it's pretty dry. Doesn't look like "tired of this poo poo", more like " welp, here we are again, see you the next dozen times!"

Edit 2: Really, I'll probably cut RPGnet more slack than a lot of people around here, but when it comes to OG I think they've been making mistakes for a long time. I'm morbidly curious to know what compels them to cut him so much slack. I would hope it's at least horse-heads-in-beds interesting, but I'm sure it's not.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 7, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Translating Fate into a computer game is basically impossible, but translating a setting isn't. I would totally be down to play Inverse World: Compucellerated.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Really, the only RPGs that would materially benefit from becoming computer games are the ones that are full of numbers and simple on-off widgets. Rolemaster, D&D, etc. I think no small part of GemStone's and Neverwinter Nights' popularity was that they let you play Rolemaster and D&D without having to undertake the normal hassle of playing Rolemaster or D&D. Part of what you're coming to these systems for is to play around in their guts, but even for someone who enjoys doing that kind of poo poo, it is too often a drag when it comes to actually just loving playing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

it's a design attitude that if there is a thing, it will have rules for it, and those rules will be modular and that everything is pretty strictly "constructed" out of them, even if it isn't particularly useful, like with 3e's monster design.

Which is a hilarious bit of irony, since Rolemaster stuck with asymmetry between PCs and monsters since the beginning. Especially with how common stat-drain was in Rolemaster. "What practical effect does draining 2d10 Strength have on a hobgoblin? gently caress if I know! If only it had a Strength score."

It always seemed weird that they went to so much trouble to revise, even in relatively minor ways, a whole bunch of stuff in 1994, but then they just literally reprinted half their 15 year old game for the rest of it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

ProfessorCirno posted:

[review] of Warhammer Fantasy RPG 2e, based on the first edition

Whehuh?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I am fine with this as long as its made by Platinum.

Holy gently caress yes this is one of those amazing ideas that will never happen.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

ProfessorCirno posted:

He quoted multiple instances of things that existed in the first edition of WHFRG, and then called them out as copying D&D 3e, which came out long after WHFRG's first edition.

Truly one of our industry's luminaries.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It came from a lot of places in the late 70's and early 80's. That's a little unfair, though, because back then everyone was throwing just whatever into a book, and thought "Use whatever you want, it's all optional." Except people are dumb about that kind of stuff, and the players of the 80's grew up to write the completionist-style RPGs of the 90's where the trend really reached its nadir.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Covok posted:

Well , she didn't imply it was only Gygax. She referenced Rolemaster's creator and other such sources, but she said that's the moment it really came to D&D. I didn't think about it that way, but, yeah, all the optional rules probably did lead to 90s design.

Are you talking about Shannon Applecline? He's a "he" as far as I know.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I don't know about their narrative impact in the setting, but I know rules-wise guns are pretty lovely in Pathfinder. So're bows, really.

If you're interested in just the setting, Pathfinder's is pretty mediocre and you should look elsewhere, or you might as well just make up whatever you want yourself.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Night10194 posted:

Where can I find Legend of Wulin/Weapons of the Gods? It sounds like something I'd enjoy. Is it on Drivethru?

I think the "prerelease" of Wulin is still on DTRPG, but it's pretty much the final book. I heard the physical books finally emerged from shipping hell, but I'm not sure. If you are curious, Wulin is definitely a clear improvement mechanics-wise (still a few problems, as always), and while I like WotG's setting I wouldn't play it straight anyway, and Wulin's setting is not actually bad or anything.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm biased in favor of WotG, since it's packed to the gill's with Jenna's awesome setting writing, but LotW is more or less a mechanical improvement across the board.

-a correct person

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Tulpa posted:

This was the game that had dice system that was somewhat similar to the One-Roll Engine, right? Matching sets of d10s?

Yeah. It doesn't take advantage of it very much, though.

Edit: Like seriously, "how many dice in a set" and "nudge a die's face to change your sets" are a couple natural mechanical widgets to come out of such a system, but I think Wuxia (the system's name) never does anything but use the dice to create regular sums.

Still a fine game(s) though.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 14, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Any given card also results in more usable information, like suit, face up or down, "tapped."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The latest Bundle is for Dying Earth, so I'm curious. Is anyone familiar? What's the game like?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Cool, thanks.

EDIT: WTF they got rid of Google Wallet support?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm a little wary of just how much money + stretches Blades is bringing in, and while his honesty is great I'm not a fan of "half done" books on Kickstarter. Still, I'm a mindless consumerit's only $20 and it looks pretty cool.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Previous work usually doesn't count a lot for me on Kickstarter, because delivery is always volatile. I mean, if he was a complete unknown, I wouldn't back at all, but that's why I'm wary instead of mocking.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

That just makes me think of the time share episode of Always Sunny, and thus I want to run a wizard RPG where everyone's an evil moron stumbling from one farce to another. Which could just as well be "play like teenagers again."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

You're thinking of The Dying Earth RPG in Rhialto mode.

Moving that up my to read queue, then.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Helical Nightmares posted:

Hearing a lot about Hillfolk. What is it?

A pretty good relationships- and narrative-focused game about tribal/clan people trying to survive in a pseudo-historical 10th century BC Levant (Israel, Jordan, Dead Sea area). It's the kind of thing I love but will never get to play. The corebook is like 250 pages, but the first 80 are the core game, and then the rest is how to use it to do totally different things, like Hollywood studios intrigue or modern scientists making first contact with aliens.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Helical Nightmares posted:

Huh.

I might be able to adapt Gurps Fantasy: The Mad Lands to this system then.

Apart from the frankly massive set of alternatives in the core, there's a pretty hefty handful of further alternatives as supplements out there. What you're looking for might already exist, unless it's very specifically "Mad Lands exactly, except not GURPS." But I'm not familiar with Mad Lands, so :shrug:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Splicer posted:

Yes, but mechanically it's just mad libs with swearing. If you took out the edgey you'd just have a rather banal apples to apples clone. Take the edgy out of FATAL and you're still dealing with a game with about the same amount of ability scores as 3.x had skills.

It's been a while since I dumpster dove into FATAL, but I seem to recall that it had a hell of a lot more stats than six. Everything about that motherfucker was stupidly baroque.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There's basically this constant back-and-forth that amounts to "NO U MAD BRO" when most people aren't flipping out and stroking each others' rage-boners. Yes, clearly some people have flip-outs sometimes, or lots of times, but most people are like "Hey, MCG is being lovely" without frothing at the mouth.

Very few high-fives are being traded over socially sensitive anger!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Everyone shut the gently caress up and talk about something else.

So, I backed Blades in the Dark, because it looks right up my alley. And it is! Still, I was pretty let down by the move lists for the playbooks in the Quick Start. They aren't as bloaty and boring as the worst of the core Dungeon World playbooks, but it feels pretty disappointing for nearly all of them to be just +1d to something you're already good at, especially when half of them are a standard set with playbook-specific tweaks. Much like Dungeon World, it's still perfectly playable and I'm still enthusiastic, but if I were going to try a long-term game I'd definitely be rewriting the moves to make them more distinct.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Tollymain posted:

Let them know, offer some feedback. What's the worst that can happen?

I am-will. Just rereading to better present my entitled whiningcritique.

Tollymain posted:

Don't answer that.

John Harper seems like a cool dude.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Waffleman_ posted:

There was a Sailor Moon RPG?

There was a Tenchi Muyo RPG?

What other Toonami poo poo were there RPGs of?!

They were just supplements for BESM. They also got licenses to do Slayers and Hellsing. They didn't get a license for Pokemon, but they released a genre book called Cute and Fuzzy Cock-fighting Seizure Monsters. Guardians of Order never produced very good games, but they had some pretty okay genre writers and a lot of enthusiasm.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Effectronica posted:

It would be cool if we had a magical girl RPG that was written by someone who'd seen anything beyond Sailor Moon, Madoka, and maybe some Precure.

Hasn't Ewen Cluney done one or two things along those lines?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rockopolis posted:

Big Eyes, Small Malt

Big Eyes, Malt Mouth.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Aren't nearly all licensed anime RPGs pretty much just episode guides attached to a system of varying levels of crappiness?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Bubblegum Crisis is based on Bubblegum Crisis.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Lynx Winters posted:

Don't ever imply that the DBZ RPG is a bright spot for anything, that poo poo's unplayable.

DBZRPG was a bright spot for me and my friend laughing ourselves halfway dead.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ronwayne posted:

It may be a Highlander kind of thing.

He's taken too many mod positions, and the last overwhelmed his original personality? Now it's time for him to break out D&D and start telling us about his time at the gym. Also I guess he'll accidentally kill Richie, which is loving fine by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ronwayne posted:

Is Plutonis the guy with the topknot and katana? Or am I thinking of something Kevin Sorbo was in?

I call being the guy from Fine Young Cannibals. He was the only immortal smart enough to just have a bunch of minions ambush his foes with machine guns and then waltz in to lop the head offmoderate the forum.

• Locked thread