Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
The PFO system sounds like a bad attempt at a "skill gain by use" system. Something more organic. Which is a shame, it seems that sort of thing is better with a computer to do the bookkeeping.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I didn't like Monsterhearts much but Avery is a good person considering their alternative way of payment and I wish success on whatever they want to do now.
:bandwagon:
Less "didn't like" and more "Didn't get the hang of", though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I find it difficult to work up any enthusiasm for PbP; I can't stop thinking that it's gonna be a huge slow mess and flame out into nothing.
And I've been too shy to use Roll20 or anything like that.

I'm not even sure I'm involved in this hobby anymore, I don't think I've even played a game this year.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I guess. Who knows, maybe it's just been so long since I've had an enjoyable gaming experience that I'm just starting to doubt that it's possible to have fun anymore.
I think that's another thing I dislike about PbP, winnowing out the applicants, I always feel bad when I have to do it. It's just like, you put in a ton of effort and you're biting your nails about getting in, and then, *fart*. It's just been freaking me out lately.

I should do something. I'd say Spring Break is coming up soon, but I was planning to spend that at work, so...it's not like I'm going to have any more or less time.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

edit
Slowpost. Responding to Ningyou.

That's a shame, it seems like a really neat toolset.
I had fun playing Traveller on it. I'm just shy, and busy, or I'd use it more.
Wouldn't know about 5e or PF, and I don't go on their forums. Does it matter as much there? It seems like it'd be very compartmentalized.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 10, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hey what was the fantasy game from the 1980s/90s that had the critical hit tables, pages and pages of them, based on where and what kind of attack hit the player? Like a table for getting hit in the limb by an electrical attack, or the torso with a slicing attack? I remember half of the head shots being "you're dead" but getting progressively more gruesome and horrible. I can't remember and it's eating at me.

Kai Tave posted:

some version of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying.

?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I've been trying to figure out FATE so I can understand Tianxia; why wouldn't FATE work for a computer game? It seems weird to dismiss the possibility out of hand.
It's a keyword based system, right? It'd end up as much an adventure game as a CRPG, or maybe it'd end up being like Scribblenauts.
Is it the the lack of a defined setting?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Potions of Speed, to keep the rest of the party moving at that pace.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's the fact that Fate's "keywords" are about interpretation. Yeah you can just have an aspect that means "I'm the strongest in the land", but that can come in handy in situations other than just lifting things or hitting things. You could use it to intimidate people, to impress people, to have someone challenge you to a contest of strength, and so on. Aspects mean more that just the text.

The only way you could do that in a video game would be to have predefined aspects.

Yes?
Isn't that the same kind of tradeoff you have to make bringing any TRPG to the computer, regardless of system?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

:smith:
I gotta find a game, something to take my mind off this.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

"Well, he's got your eyes. And Frank's arms. And Steiner's lungs...."

Huh. That actually sounds a lot like a mysticised version of the practices of some matrilineal ethnic group in southern China. A professor I had a few years back was doing studying the myths of that region, though she was mostly studying snake cults. I think the short of it is, it's one of those "Paternity is mever certain the way maternity is" things, combined with children being raised in their mother's household.

EDIT:
On the other hand, they need to have an editor go over and redo the "each contributing to a single child" part because it's slightly confusing wording.

EDIT EDIT:
Check your privilege.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 13, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

nD52, reroll duplicates?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Here's a weird one; do you think audiobooks of RPGs would be worthwhile?

I have a copy of FATE in epub but no time to read, so I set my reader to text to speech so I can listen while I work. It worked okay so far. A real voice would probably be better for any non-cyberpunk game.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Siivola posted:

Well, there is a long oral tradition of RPG rules already (I bet most people learn rules by having them explained at the table) so I can't really see why not. Some rulesets are terribly dry and not really suited for the medium, but hell, I'd be really interested in an Apocalypse World audiobook.

I didn't think of AW, but that one's nice and short. It's half "gently caress" and "loving" as I recall, so you could probably save time with copy pasting, haha.

The Real Foogla posted:

So what you in here for?
Someone overheard my audiobook of Rolemaster critical hit tables.
Oh? Sounds cool, where's this?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

It's cool to hear from a pro, I was thinking of it more like with Librivox and free books.
And yeah, I think it'd be a really cool thing for the blind to have more audiobooks.

Do you think it's the kind of thing that's better with a solo reader, or a team?

Siivola posted:

I thought of AW first, because it's got a very distinctive voice to the writing. Many books are written like amateur techical manuals (which is entirely appropriate for a crunchy game) but Baker went out of his way to write the book informally.

I'm almost tempted to make a dramatic reading of the rules now.
Goon project?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Sounds like an April TG contest.

I haven't had a ton of luck with RPG podcasts, especially the session recordings. They're just too easy for me to lose track of.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I'll have to go back to that one, stopped listening a while ago. Only one I've consistently liked has been System Mastery, it's funny.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Anyone play any of the goofy spinoffs of Burning Wheel/Torchbearer? Like Burning Jihad or Colonial Marines? I can't find Under a Serpent Sun anymore, which is probably for the best; that one gave me nightmares, not that that's a hard thing to do.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Echophonic posted:

I've always wanted to check those out, but I've never been able to find the PDFs anywhere.

http://www.burningwheel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Downloads#Burning_Sands:_Jihad

Welcome to the No-Fly List.
(it's the Dune splat)

I think Under a Serpent Sun was removed for being too suicidal.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Covok posted:

What do you mean by "too suicidal" exactly?
edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I think it'd be easier to describe it being similar to Apocalypse*World, in setting, but with the mood turned up(?) to 11.
I wonder if they had similar influences, I think UaSS was based off Death Metal & no meds.

Umm, it's been years, but the highlights that jump out at me;
It's a really grim kinda post-apocalyptic setting.
The antagonists are nihlistic psychic aliens and/or warped humans who literally feed off misery, and at higher levels, suicide. They're basically loving everything up for everyone/promoting empty consumerism to generate more misery.
The player characters are usually something something Cult of the .45, that lets you tap your Despair stat for extra dice. OTOH if you max out your Despair you use your .45 to :suicide: (pretty standard for emotional stats, just way more blatant)

Honestly, it's probably for the best I can't remember more. It was just really depressing all around, and I know at least a couple of the monsters or something gave me nightmares bad enough I couldn't sleep for a couple days.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Great. Now I can't sleep.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I think I only just realized the name is probably a riff on Crimes Against Humanity. I've never played it, but it seems blindingly obvious in hindsight.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

The psychopath thing plus brushing up on FATE lately is making me think of minimalist, storygaming systems.
Pick a goal and flip a coin. If you call it, your character succeeds, narrate how. If you don't call it, the GM shoots you.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Yeah, I was thinking of it as a a licensed RPG system for No Country for Old Men. Or maybe just an Inevitables campaign for Planescape.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Happy birthday.
Dog years or human years?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Despite humanity's progress, we are still largely defined, and divided by _________________________________.

"Mutual hatred and paranoia"?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Does this qualify as a Vanguard Party?

(that would actually be a great name for an RPG

edit
or a podcast)

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 24, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I thought the troubling theme that chess reinforces is the idea that everyone, from the meanest pawn to the mightiest queen is expendable in the pursuit of victory & survival, and that even the most unique and powerful people are ultimately replaceable out of the mass of faceless pawns.

That's why I hate chess.
At least Chinese Chess has cannons.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 25, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Better no gaming than elitist gaming?

Helical Nightmares posted:

What.

I have not heard of this. Please continue.
Cannons move like Rooks, but can only capture while hopping over an intermediate piece.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiangqi

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 25, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Gaming is a hammer which we use to crush our enemies?

I think Burning Sands: Jihad mechanics has the Mahdist players as a covert cell for games set during the early stage of an invasion. Hasn't been updated for a while :(
It's really weird to think that game came out way back in 2005, before the Arab Spring and everything.

Any other RPGs that get you put on a watchlist are built around things like PC rebel cadres ? Star Wars?
On the flip side, I always thought Military Assistance Command Faerun Studies and Observation Group was a hilarious way to describe Paladins/Blackguards.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I've got a serious, if rather poorly worded question. Are there any games that deal with, like, predestination?
Not necessarily time travel, but maybe a game that runs backwards, where you begin at the end and play to uncover each step that lead to it.

I think it reflects how I usually design characters; I figure out what their backstory is by their actions and what hints they drop.

Divination is a skill/spell that pops up frequently in games, and I'm always fascinated by it, but most of the time it's either not supposed to be used or just doesn't have any effect.

This is related to something I always wondered about in video games, where you combine elements of chance with the ability to save and load the game. How would you resolve this contradiction? I figure to embrace savescumming, you'd play as Cassandra, with foresight so strong it functions as your saving/loading or time travel mechanic. And then I'm not sure how you'd design a story around it, other than going loopy because you're Cassandra. Poor Cassandra. :smith:

I guess what I should ask, is there a Doctor Manhattan RPG?

Helical Nightmares posted:

Huh. I only knew about Senet.

Check these out: http://monroi.com/chess-info/44-in/751-the-history-of-chess.html

Sounds like the first game that approaches the borderline between a board game and an RPG.

This looks cool. I would play this. I wonder if it would be an easy app to code.

That's kinda cool. I like reading about antique games.
Hipster chess.

It doesn't sound hugely difficult, but I never really have time or motivation to program anymore. :(

edit
Aren't druids obligated to punch up, to the point of stereotypically swapping sides to maintain punching direction?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I think that reverse game, or just a game mechanic where the dice provide the event, then the player provides then means&motive, is like being a historian or a detective. Reconstructing a little chain of events or understanding people based on current evidence, I guess.
Or those self-help things that tell you to visualize succes and work back to your present state.
Or the Midnighter?

And of course, you've got to figure out how to tune the Determinism RPG so that it doesn't turn into the FATALism RPG.

OtspIII posted:

Retrocausality might be your thing.
EDIT: I haven't actually played this so I can't really describe it or say for sure it's relevant, but it was made my a poster in this thread and the stuff people say about it makes it sound super cool so it's probably worth checking out either way.

I have a super powerful consumable magic item I drop in games sometimes that seems to do nothing when you first use it, but then after doing stuff for an hour or so you suddenly shoot back in time to when you used it and realize it was all just a vision of the future. You then get to go either "yeah, we do exactly that" and fast forward through just doing all that stuff again exactly or pick a point in time to diverge from the vision and just start playing again normally from there. It works okay as something that shows up EXTREMELY rarely, or possibly as a quest item, but it's not something that'd work as a Vancian spell or 1/day ability.
Thanks for the suggestion.
The description doesn't really say much and neither does the sample, but it doesn't really seem like what I'm looking for.

Cool implementation of that kind of effect, though.
Think it's possible to build a class or game around it? Like, most divination in games seems to boil down to just pluses and minuses in a fight, as you predict the opponents' moves or whatever.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I still want an Outlaw Star RPG. It just sticks in my head "Well of course your space wizards are Taoist, it's just common sense. And obviously your ships are gonna kung fu fight, I mean, how else does ship to ship combat work?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Moscow Mule with lemon.

Any RPGs revolving around brewing or bartending?

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 30, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Ningyou posted:

ummmmmm how could you forget acclaimed rpg Dungeons and Drank
Do you really want to bring up the whole Changeling/Yngling thing again? Really?

Budlight 2000. Big Eyes, Small Malt. Monster*Heineken. FATE: Alcoholic Edition. Qin-gdao: The Warring Brews. Das Schwarz Bier. Dopplebocks & Dunkels. RIFTS.

Holy poo poo I really want to get wasted.

Lord Frisk posted:

hey everybody, shut up and tell me what cocktail to make next. I have: gin, whiskey, bourbon, vodka, white rum, dry & sweet vermouth, soda and lemons.

e: also bitters. gently caress yea.

e2: not a manhattan. just had one. a little too sweet for a bourbon drink IMO
And now you know the answer is "All of it."

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

Big Eyes, Malt Mouth.
Big Bock, Small Weissbier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I was going to ask if the reverse counted, with Sword World -> Record of Lodoss War, but it turns out Lodoss predates Sword World and is based on D&D.

• Locked thread