Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Did you know that "a Russian Dragonlance musical" is a thing that exists? Here it is, subtitled in English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1nnNX_R-jM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay so think 3.5. Now imagine if you put together a team of competent engineers and technical writers, and told them to rewrite it to be fair and cool.

What I'm saying is, it's thick and dense and has a lot of mechanics.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I think Ratpick's been playing World of Dungeons with local kids and had some success. If you want a game actually themed for kids and other innocent people, you could do worse than look at Do: The Book of Letters, Golden Sky Stories or our local goon Ewen's Retail Magic.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'd play a game like that, though. A bunch of games already do things vaguely like that: For instance, Guild Wars 2 and Mass Effect both have you answer questions about your background, and your answers unlock things in the story. It'd be sweet to see a game gove you a big list of aspects and have the story branch according to your choices. It wouldn't be Fate per se, but it'd be cool.

It'd take a poo poo-ton of writing, though.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Terry Pratchett has passed away.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Frankly, I'd rather have a real Overwatch RPG than rely on the GM's ability to hack one together from four Different GURPS splatbooks.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Considering how, say, D&D already allows characters to delay their actions, a party can choose to go at the slowest character's initiative and even decide who goes when in a round, anyway. The only difference between that and a group-based initiative is that a few monsters might be able to take their turn before the heroes gang up on them.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, there is a long oral tradition of RPG rules already (I bet most people learn rules by having them explained at the table) so I can't really see why not. Some rulesets are terribly dry and not really suited for the medium, but hell, I'd be really interested in an Apocalypse World audiobook.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

I didn't think of AW, but that one's nice and short. It's half "gently caress" and "loving" as I recall, so you could probably save time with copy pasting, haha.
I thought of AW first, because it's got a very distinctive voice to the writing. Many books are written like amateur techical manuals (which is entirely appropriate for a crunchy game) but Baker went out of his way to write the book informally.

I'm almost tempted to make a dramatic reading of the rules now.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Two things I love about Blades:

You heal by indulging in your vices.

The combat action is specifically called "murder".
Ow. Straight in my :20bux:. :( Guess it's no bars for me from now on for a few weeks, considering how much crap I've spent money on lately.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

remusclaw posted:

All the awesome games about feudal management, thieves guilds or wizard colleges in the world will not satisfy the dedicated D&Der.
There's Reign, and, um.. Well, Ars Magica kinda maybe counts?

Well, at least Blades in the Dark is coming out to scratch that thieves' guild itch I didn't even know I had. :3:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This is a thing it would be really cool to say with a citation attached, because Varg Vikernes doesn't actually write D&D supplements.

I mean I love y'all and all, but sometimes you are really quick to get out the hammer and the crosses.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ropecon's in May this year. So, uh, more like two months. :ohdear:

Edit: Oh poo poo, Jason Morningstar's going to be the guest of honor!

...Uh, who's Jason Morningstar, again? I only recognize the name. :downs:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 23, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ratpick posted:

gently caress, I've been so wrapped up in my Master's Thesis that I completely forgot that Ropecon's earlier than before this year. I wonder if they've already started the GM signup?

Also, Jason Morningstar owns. I need to bring my Fiasco books with me so I can bug him for a signature.
Yep, the signups are open. I think I'll have to check out your game, we can have a tiny goonmeet. Do GM's get invited to the afterparty?

Oh hey, looks like the official release date for Night Witches is next month. I think I should look into finding a copy for Morningstar to sign.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ratpick posted:

Getting back to running games at the convention, since the theme for this year's Ropecon is "Journey" I kind of want to go with that theme for my games: even though it's not required that games run at the convention follow the theme, I like the idea of having a clear theme in mind because it helps me plan out more focused games.
I know two other games that have a reputation for doing travel well: The One Ring and Ryuutama. I haven't personally played either, and on top of everything, Ryuutama is still being worked on after its successful Kickstarter. The finished product's probably better for the extra editing pass (lazy Japanese to English translation bugs the poo poo out of me) but man am I getting impatient. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Some anime series aren't even made to stand on their own, but to act as commercials for the ongoing manga. That's why some just adapt a couple of arcs and don't even bother with a real ending.

• Locked thread