Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If your GM is going off the series most sessions will involve nothing happening.

If your GM is going off the movies lots of exciting fights will happen but the story will feel a bit disjointed and poorly explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

*world games are well designed but fundamentally cater to a different playstyle than chunkier more rules laden games. As a result the more entrenched group sees *worlds games as an assault on their pastime. Getting used to the idea that there is room in the rpg market for both story games and rules heavy games is hard for some people to grasp. Though it also isn't helped by people insisting that their type of game is inherently better than others. Those most guilty of this seem to be Pathfinder fans, retroclone fans, and *worlds fans.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Impermanent posted:

I think the net effect of Pathfinder and 5e D&D on the hobby is negative. (and my statement was a little hyperbolic on purpose) I'd explain more but work is hard today. The short version is that training people into thinking that fundamentally flawed rulesets (and damaging social views on the side of 5e) as the norm stifles innovation and growth in the hobby. Specifically, it makes people less welcoming of better ways of playing every type of game. It will likely take generations (within the player base, not in design, where we are already ahead) for us to get over ability scores, save-or-suck, and even roll-to-win, lose-to-do-nothing.

I read this review in the morning paper every single time a Transformers movie comes out but with a few words replaced here and there.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

It is a poorly designed game, but a combination of identity politics, sunk cost fallacy, and the uniquely TRPG fallacy of games whose mechanics can never be reviewed critically because "the DM can throw out any rule that's bad" which causes the quality of the game to enter into this "well our table is having fun" quantum state is what pushes it into there's-no-place-for-it territory.

This still boils down to being upset that something you don't like is popular.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Siivola posted:

Okay so think 3.5. Now imagine if you put together a team of competent engineers and technical writers, and told them to rewrite it to be fair and cool.

What I'm saying is, it's thick and dense and has a lot of mechanics.

It's a truly beautiful game.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Doodmons posted:

Weirdly, Scion's were alright. It was just a brawl check that made both you and the target immobile and easier to hit for a turn.

Scion had much much bigger mechanical problems, so the simple grappling rules are only a small comfort.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

No the purpose of 3.5 is complicated bullshit. I'm sorry all of the fixes that maintain backward compatibility are the same amount of complicated just arguably more or less balanced bullshit. The complicated nature is the draw. If you're not having fun I'd suggest dropping it and moving to 4th edition.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Has there ever been a quick way to stat up monsters in 3.5, even?

Just writing down hp, saves, and attacks based on level ballparks.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

quote is not edit

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Why are you running it if this is your first time with the system?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man if there's one game I wanted to run or play less than D&D 3.5, it'd have to be D&D 3.5 with a group that knows the game inside and out.

That's the only good way to play 3.5. You're just assuming the worst. If someone's an rear end in a top hat while playing 3.5 they'd be an rear end in a top hat playing any game.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd argue Pendragon is a very narrowly focused game that has significant replayability.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I know that rules heavy rpgs are not this board's forte but I had a question. Has there been any sort of d&dtools or srd type system devised for non-d20 rules systems. Something provides linked cross-references and nicely organized indexes of all options? I know it's a long shot but hey it'd be nice to be able to use modern technology to build a 4th edition, L5R, or GURPS character instead of flipping through books. I could have sworn WotC promised a 4th ed character generator but can't actually find any such program.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

For kids that young I'd go either something REALLY rules light like Risus or Fate accelerated. Either that or something that's more a customizable board-game than an actual rpg like Talisman or Heroquest.

Edit: If they were teens I'd suggest the Pathfinder Beginner Box to get everyone to complain for another page, but I don't like to derail in bad faith.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 8, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fate Core is more complicated than Accelerated but the same basic idea from my understanding. I haven't played Core proper, only its previous editions.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Whether or not OGL material can be used for a video game hasn't been put to the test. Does that card game still use rust monsters and other distinctly D&D critters? That seems like it could be an issue for translating adventure paths to a card game and then into a video game.

It does but makes sure to keep them using the Pathfinder visual style. Though I think all outsiders have genericified names like Balors going to Flame Demons.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I personally think using roll20 for dropin games or to recruit anonymous people is dumb. It's perfectly fine though for playing with people you know but live too far away to make in persona gaming practical.

edit: Also those accounts so like livejournal and gaia online roleplaying servers. Though you didn't mention any weird weeaboo final fantasy cults.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

How did you house rule out the hateful toxicity and history of harassment?

The same way people get rid of the history of pedophilia in Polaris games.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Polaris was made by the guy who made Bliss Stage. It has next to nothing to do with Polaris which is itself a fine game. In the same way that Mearls being a pieces of poo poo basically doesn't directly affect people playing 5th edition at all.

Being associated with harassment isn't cool but neither is being associated with pedophilia.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tulul posted:

Bliss Stage is a not-good game that misses its mark in a lot of ways, but it's a little crazy that you apparently think the intent of it was "statutory rape is awesome!"

The explicit goal of your game is to be about sex, then you make a rule that all PCs have to be under the age of 18. There isn't much way to read this that isn't pedo.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Even as someone who likes 3.5 I agree that the naturalist language is terrible. It'd really benefit from a clearer distinction between rules text and flavor text like Magic. Also grogs who claim 4th edition ruined D&D by changing the way "spells feel" usually are referred to this use of clear rules text. They are idiots who now populate the paizo site and complain endlessly about "rules bloat". Seemingly wanting Paizo to commit corporate suicide and just stop producing books.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I would also recommend 4th edition over Next.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Which is pretty loving hilarious because there were people jumping ship to Pathfinder because WotC was ceasing production of new 3.X stuff despite there being like 100 official books.

Yeah I don't think you guys quite get the most insufferable Paizo fans. What they hate above all else is change and concrete coherent rules. They want D&D to be exactly like it felt when they got into the hobby with the 3.0 core set. They think new splats make the system unbalanced, cause "bloat", make everything "too complex", and "don't feel like D&D". These are the same people who claim core 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder is balanced and those that say otherwise are "munchkins, theory crafting, lying, or any other word to imply they don't actually play the game, or at least that the sane people aren't playing it right. They really want Paizo to either make no books or only make pre-made adventures so they can keep everything fighter, rogue, cleric, wizard. They love the core rules but hate critically examining them. They seem to want to play something rules-lite but don't want to quit d20 for some reason.

People who enjoy the bloat and mechanics of Pathfinder tend to be the people most ready to point out flaws and imbalances with their own system. Hence why so many of those people have huge elaborate house rules. They're the only ones who really respond to playtests anymore and in general have helped newer classes be overall better designed and less stupid than older classes. Things like the advanced class guide provide fun to play fighters, balanced clerics, and rangers able to actually do ranger things. Naturally this is the same book grognards claim is "ruining Pathfinder".

I don't think either group really makes up a majority of customers, just the loudest two online.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

I am absolutely looking forward to the day that Paizo causes their own fanbase to splinter in a recreation of the 3E/4E edition war more than I probably should.

This will not happen. The grognards that you guys love to hate don't buy books anymore anyways. Their main grab is people who don't think critically about their game but enjoy new content. They keep up their subscriptions basically forever and just don't want anything that invalidates previous purchases. Unchained is just a book of alternate rules akin to unearthed arcana. The biggest change you'll maybe see if NPCs in adventures using one of the revised classes in unchained instead of the base ones from the core books.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Because they need to be playing D&D, or at least a game that "continues Gary's legacy".

I've run indie games for people at cons, and you would not believe how many people I've gotten playing stuff like DW or Fate who say things like "this is how we always played D&D/Pathfinder/WoD, really loose and ignoring a bunch of the rules. We didn't know there were games that worked like that out of the box!"

Part of that is Paizo and White Wolf being much much better than those other games at getting advertising into stores and providing continuing support that validates previous purchases.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

I am somehow doubtful that Paizo has found the magic elfgame formula that will allow them to completely avoid the same slow but inexorable decline in sales that pretty much every other RPG publisher experiences over time which necessitates some sort of new edition or similar big release to get things moving again every so often.

I'm saying the whole splintering thing. They'll sputter out and die eventually but I doubt they will have a large enough fanbase around by the time of Pathfinder 2.0 to have some sort of huge edition war.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Anyone who liked the D&D settings using 3.5 basically had to track down old 2nd edition fluff books for things like Planescape, Dark Sun, and Spelljammer. WotC just straight up murdered proper fluff of any kind.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

FishFood posted:

Who are the Nazzys? I'm haven't looked at a Pathfinder book in like 2 years.

I assume Cheliax, who are just straight up evil. I have no idea where the "lawful neutral" thing is coming from other than people being annoyed that you didn't get to take down House Thule (real subtle here) in the adventure path set in Cheliax. Which Paizo got no end of crap for so now they're doing a French Resistance AP about destroying the fantasy nazi government in late 2015.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm now realizing that none of my D&D campaigns have ever featured violent union disputes. That's a shame.

Everytime I hear about other people's campaigns it strikes me more and more that my group plays nothing like other groups. Why would example humans and augmented humans be in the monster manual/npc codex if not for use as fascist oppressors? The world outside is dangerous and full of monsters, beastly monsters outside the city walls and human monsters inside.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah the hellknights have a really stupid place in fluff. They were introduced as literal nazis but then for some reason became judge dredd look a likes complete with their own squad of evil death judges.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

sentrygun posted:

The horror stories tend to be about the players interacting with the rules. If anything, the problem with Pathfinder (and I guess 3/3.5e probably but I never actually played those) is that you really don't have a lot to do unless you can cast magic, and then you tilt the other way into being able to do far too much unless you're level 1 in which case you also can't do poo poo. Besides that it's just some gamey tabletop game.

This issue is mostly remedied by the later better designed classes. So like brawlers get to choose new feat trees each fight. Though I admit it requires you to already be pretty far down the rabbit whole to accept "splats fix it".

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

I would rather roll around naked in a nest of ticks than put up with combat ticks. They're right next to weapon speeds in the "poo poo mechanics that are always poo poo" bucket.

Honorable mention goes to having multiple kinds of "I move out of the way" stats.

Hey now, combat ticks are an excellent rule in a highly granular tactical combat system. Having them in an anime flavored game like Exalted is terrible.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think wanting Exalted to be less complex is missing a key component of what people like about Exalted. Though having a FATE conversion book for you rules light people would be good too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I like Pathfinder fight mechanics if you're using Path of War/Tome of Battle. I really don't see what's so weird about people enjoying rpg fight mechanics. Heck there are people who enjoy grinding in Korea MMOs, apparently a whole fuckton of them and that's something I'll never be able to understand.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Ah yes the infamous 'can I parry gravity/the ground' debates.

Those who argue no are playing the game wrong.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

bunnielab posted:

Exactly, they are fuckin dog-men. Why was that so bad?

I've seen this argument play out dozens of times on different groggy forums. The basic reason they changed was that they've always been described as having scales even in 1st edition when they were dogs and the example fluff given to the artist for 3rd ed was all from the Dragon Mountain adventure where a tribe served the dragon level boss. So the artist just assumed they were little dragon people and the fluff moved to follow the art.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Walker posted:

An IRL friend is running Pathfinder (no wait come back) and is distilling it down to its essence: party of 17th-level casters. As someone who played the game all of once as a low level rogue, could I feasibly create a fun character using only the SRD? Someone is playing an arcanist wizard already.

Arcanist and Wizard are two different types of caster. Is he multiclassed or something?

As for creating a character from the SRD, yes you can. The SRD has everything that isn't setting specific.

CoDzilla is less powerful than 3.5 (several of the staple spells were nerfed) but still very usable. It is just a cleric or druid who casts a bunch of self-buff spells on themselves prebattle and acts like an ultra-fighter.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Walker posted:

No, just Arcanist. I literally did not know there was a difference. Pathfinder!
Okay. Arcanist is less powerful than normal wizards, but doesn't appear to be intentionally so. It feels like it's slightly better design was caused by Paizo not understanding why the wizard is poorly designed. Shocker I know.

Captain Walker posted:

What domains would I want for a battle cleric?
War, Strength, and Travel are all good choices. War and Strength for self buffs and Travel for the mini teleports that arguably qualify you for the dimensional agility line of feats. If your GM approves it then these feats let you full attack while teleporting around the battlefield like a mortal combat AI.

Nobility is powerful for giving you a better version of the leadership feat but I wouldn't recommend it due to the followers being a mountain of paperwork.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I wish 4th ed being released hadn't coincided with a sharp decrease in quality of the prepainted minis. By the time they recovered in quality no one was playing the skirmish game anymore.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I know 4chan had a character creation program for FATAL that sped things up considerably. Despite this not even 1 after action report i've seen has considered it worthwhile. Even on 4chan and they regularly enjoy Adeptus Evangelion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Like maybe it's what extra decks my group plays, but the minority related cards seem to be relatively infrequent, and the only question cards they form natural sounding jokes with the are "x horrible act politician/actor does to y group".

• Locked thread