Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Sorta curious how the stats work out in WWW, since I noticed that they're the lowest for any PbtA game I've seen. Everyone's going to be rocking a -2 or a couple of -1s, which means there are going to be a lot of failed rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

Bliss Stage is a not-good game that misses its mark in a lot of ways, but it's a little crazy that you apparently think the intent of it was "statutory rape is awesome!"

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is there any agreement on what storygame means, exactly? I hear it from time to time and I know Pundit hates them, but that only tells me that they are not D&D.

Not really, it's achieved about the level of meaninglessness that other RPG terms like "simulationism" have taken on. It means a broad spectrum of different things to different people and quite often one of those things is "I don't like this game". Observe!

Here's Avery McDaldno's definition.

Here's Pundit's explanation, in the context of him trying to argue that seminal storygame Amber is not a storygame.

quote:

A storygame must do specific things: in its rules, it makes certain priorities (most fundamentally, that the crafting of a "story", as defined by the concept of "addressing a theme", takes precedence over the actual playing of a game). Amber, in its rules as written, does NOT do any of those things. Most fundamentally, in its rules as written, the crafting of a story does NOT take precedence over the RPG-priority of making a game that feels like a living world and having players feel like their characters are real people.
Beyond that, it fails to tick the 'storygame' boxes on countless other points: it has a strong GM while storygames require a very weak one, it has no mechanics by which PLAYERS (and not their characters) can influence the setting or future events while storygames regularly do, it isn't full of pseudo-intellectual or pseudo-artistic pretentiousness while many storygames are, etc.

So, yeah, it's not worth much as a term unless everyone's on the same page.

• Locked thread