Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

From the last thread:

quote:

Blue Rose is a Mercedes Lackey book in RPG form so anything by her will work if you want to read up on the genre, especially the stuff where everyone gets a magic white horse friend to ride around on. Romantic fantasy is just fantasy with a progressive/positive spin. So like it's magical medieval Europe but everyone is chill with gay people and women can be cool and active participants in society (in ways that defy our revisionist view of the middle ages as a giant rape-and-plague-a-thon).

This is something so rare that there is a mini sub-genre just for that? Man that is depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The more I hear about D&D NEXT the more glad I am that I never tried it. I still have to check out 4th edition, in fact.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I also found the DW manual to be kind of boring, bit I haven't read it all yet so I am reserving judgement.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

How am I supposed to know who's an Imp Zone poster? I took one look at that place and istantly backed out.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Monsterhearts may be the only elfgame to treat sexuality in a mature manner, and for its creator to leave the industry is a sad thing; better that, however, than to stick around if she felt that it was not what was good for her.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Is there any agreement on what storygame means, exactly? I hear it from time to time and I know Pundit hates them, but that only tells me that they are not D&D.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I have a lot of fun with combat in GURPS, but my group does not use all the overcomplicated rules. To be fair the game makes it very clear that they are optional.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Simian_Prime posted:

Here you go.

I think it's pretty telling that so many of the Ex3 developers are current and former rpg.net mods. That whole site seems like it's stuck in 2001.

You know what, at least the first two pages of responses seem pretty reasonable and respectful.
There is clearly a market for this sort of gigantic crunchtastic games, so I'm not sure what exactly is the problem here? I have never read an Exalted manual, but as long as the system's various bits and bobs work I don't see a problem.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Quick character creation is all well and good, but a more complex system (if it is well done) allows you to personalize your character more.

I am mostly thinking about GURPS, where character creation can take a game session by itself, if you are not familiar with the system; but it also allows you to create literally any character you can think of. The pre-gen characters that you find in most RPGs include a vampire businessman, a D&D-like thief with teleporting powers and a battle robot that discovered Buddhism and they are all built with the same rules.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Covok posted:

I was at my local Barnes and Nobles yesterday and discovered they had a pretty well-stocked rpg section. Decided to pick up Doctor Who Adventures in Time and Space Limited Edition Playbook. I must say that I love their initiative system: First, people who want to use diplomacy go, then people who want to run away go, then people who want to tinker with tech or such go, and, finally, people who want to attack go. It really fits the series well. Also, I like they acknowledge the issue of everyone wanting to be the Doctor and having two pretty clever solutions: either switch off per adventure or per regeneration.

Extra kudos to these developpers for finding a way to deal with initiative that is both thematically correct and simple.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I'd be interested in joining the storygames discussion, but if you do make another thread, could you please post a link to it here?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

What would be a good system for a game of interdimensional politics? My first instinct would be to go for GURPS, especially if you have the Social Engineering supplement, but I need to stop throwing GURPS at every system problem I come across.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

His wiki page says that the only RPG book he has done is MYFAROG and while he has apparently expressed an interest in D&D I can find no evidence that he is going to publish a module for that. If anyone has a link to that I'd be grateful if they shared.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Len posted:

Has anyone ever actually run FATAL?

Occasionally someone rolls up a character to have a laugh and/or showcase just how messed up the system is, but I don't think anyone ever went beyond that.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

It's pretty disappointing that Will Wheaton showed that one off on Tabletop. Apparently it was a Patreon goal, which does not speak highly of their audience.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Davin I like your post and think you are cool

Fuego Fish posted:

OK so moving on from that post which I didn't read a word of, and which nobody else probably read either, in more important news it's my birthday today.

Happy birthday! Our birthdays are pretty close. Isn't that a funny coincidence!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Error 404 posted:

Ted Pundy's also started up about it. Haha

I hope one of the stretch goals is a giant middlefinger to be built right in front pf his house, possibly with a pile of burning D&D books nearby.
E: rage and cellphone keyboards cause typos

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 25, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

quote:

I mean, consider this: as far as I know, and no one has ever come around to contradict me on this, I (the RPGPundit) have actually run the longest single Blue Rose campaign of all time (at about 130 six-to-eight hour sessions played weekly). Of course, it wasn't set in Aldis. It was set in a much grungier place, inspired by the "Port Blacksand" of the old fighting-fantasy books, and so was a mix of Romantic Fantasy tropes with that Lieber/Moorcock/Theives-world style of fantasy. It was awesome, obviously way better than BR's existing setting.
I am going to strangle this man.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Don't you have to think in at least four dimensions to play that one?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

There is also Princess: the Hopeful, a fan splat of the World of Darkness of all things. I am no good at judging mechanics, but from a tone standpoint it doesn't really gel with the rest of the setting and it feels really amateurish when it comes to editing.

Every time I read it I can't help but think that if the focus shifted from "look how nice and good and pure the Hopeful are" to "It sucks trying to do good in the WoD, also are we sure we know what's best for humanity?" it could have felt right at home.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 26, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Ningyou posted:

~LITERALLY SO PURE AND GOOD THAT ANYONE AT ALL EVER SUFFERING HURTS YOU~ laffo
This is something that I feel has some potential, actually, especially if you want to play up the themes of exhaustion and martyrdom that apparently that game is aiming for.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

George R. R. Martin has a reputation for taking his time when it comes to writing. HBO knew what they were getting into, or at least should have. :colbert:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I like GRRM and his writing, so there. :colbert:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

If the horse is headless, how does he spit fire from his nose?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Len posted:

To bring up an old topic. Cards Against Humanity is doing a science expansion pack that's set to give scholarships to women. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-women-in-stem/

Let's give Caesar what is Caesar's: this is a good thing they have done. The game is juvenile at best and horribly insensitive at worst, but this its creators are doing some good.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Covok posted:

I forgot people honestly believed that in the 90s...I forget people honestly believe that now!

I was under the impression that at least GURPS really does deliver on the universality that it promises: how much was I wrong? Because I have seen some vastly different characters statted out using that system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Well, the manuals insist that you should only use the hexamap if the genre and the situation calls for it, if I am not mistaken. But I can imagine how the one second combat turn could be a problem. I can think of a couple of animes that could work with GURPS, however.

• Locked thread