Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Splicer posted:

Also in the last thread I misread a request and accidentally offered to implement a Subset sum problem in javascript. This may have been a mistake.

While you're at it, could you make me a program that takes another program as input and tells me whether it terminates or not? Thanks a bunch xoxo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

(Zendikar, for example, is much weirder than most D&D settings, given it's based around a plane where the environment is in constant flux due to an overabundance of mana.)

Also is littered with giant floating stones that are literally keeping three extra-dimensional cosmic horrors and their broods imprisoned so they don't devour the entire multiverse one world after another.

Well, were keeping imprisoned. See above re adventurers loving things up for everyone.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Man, magic is just so much trouble in general. I mean on one hand, it's, you know, magic, so if all magic lets you do is things that a regular old human can do anyway, except worse, then it loses its wondrous, mystical edge. But we all know where magic that's wondrous and mystical and incredibly powerful eventually leads you. In ye olde sword and sorcery stories, magic wasn't really something the protagonists did anyway. Magic was the purview of either the villain, or a mentor to the protagonist who didn't directly interfere with his magic much. Perhaps the seasoned adventurer would have a magic item sometimes, but nothing so wide in scope as what D&D wizards get up to on a daily basis. The day was won with bravery and moxie, not with sorcery.

I mean it really highlights how loving scary magic would be, really. If you're an average peasant, then a wizard showing up in your town is a great time to start aggressively making GBS threads your pants and/or hightailing it the gently caress out of there at your soonest convenience. Wizards are bad news. They're walking powder kegs, and tend to attract enemies that are even worse. Really it seems the only way high-powered wizards could exist in a setting is either as sorcerer-kings who hold iron-fisted dominion over entire nations with their magic, or as fugitives who get hunted down and killed by mobs if they ever let on what they can do.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Create Food and Water

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Just the fact that magic works at all would result in a society vastly different from the shitfarmer-based ones we see in every fantasy setting ever.

I mean, okay, granted, you could make the argument that magic is rare and that wizards have better things to do than conjure food all day. But really that just brings us back to the sorcerer-king scenario. You don't even have to be an iron-fisted dictator, you can just get people to join up by promising you'll cast mass cure syphilis or whatever for free every once in a while. On the other hand... having your only source of sustenance be a wizard who can withdraw it at a moment's notice is probably not all too attractive in the long run. If a peasant gets a little too uppity, you can always find another one to take over his plot and you'll still be rolling in wheat at the end of the day.

I don't know, magic just ruins everything.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I kinda liked what they did in the Long Price books. Magic exists, but it's extremely rare. As in, there are only like a dozen magic users in the entire world, because training to become one takes years (and is only allowed to the second sons of noble families - it's complicated), and the first time you attempt to bind a magic god-spirit to yourself chances are you'll screw up and get turned into a human pincushion instead. Furthermore, even if you do manage to bind a spirit, they'll keep fighting to get free for the rest of your life, and once a specific spirit has been bound it can never be bound the same way again, by anyone, for perpetuity. The result is city-states monopolizing their magic-users (if they have one) and making sure the spirit binding gets passed to another before the original holder dies. Meanwhile, all they really ever use magic for is civic stuff - the spirit in the first book can remove seeds from things, so they use it to dominate the cotton trade by removing the need to pay workers to do the fiddly task of de-seeding the cotton (not having invented the cotton gin yet, y'see).

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Level 1 wizards also have access to Disguise Self (and Alter Self with level 2 magic). You cannot trust anyone to be who or what they say they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

When Holden was in the 3E Exalted thread, people gave him constructive critique on Abyssals(it was related to the creepy as gently caress rape ghost charm tree they had, and I think still have), and his response was that he was legally barred from taking suggestions from people. I think trying to negotiate with the 3E Exalted devs is a lost cause.

Yeah, this kind of thing is common in the creative industries. Basically, they don't want some rear end in a top hat calling them up one day threatening to sue because they used his totally cool idea that he told them about once and didn't pay him any royalties for. Sometimes they even had the same idea already, but have never mentioned it publicly. The way to get around it for e.g. playtesting is to make people sign agreements that basically say the company owns all the intellectual rights to anything you tell them related to playtesting, but it's not very practical for a forum thread...

It sounds silly when it comes to simple, short suggestions for changes to things, but you get the "NO UNSOLICITED MATERIAL" mantra drilled into you pretty hard and told to play it safe.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 13, 2015

• Locked thread