Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
This month I'll be writing and writing all the stretch goals for Strike!

Speaking of which, if you haven't backed Strike yet, there are less than 48 hours left on the Kickstarter.

The Warlord says "Get to Kickstarter and pledge right now!"

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

Can you timg that? That is breaking some tables.

Hah! Sorry, it looked fine on my screen. Fixed it now.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

At least they are funny while they play their bad game! It's more listenable than most actual play podcasts. (Not to bash all AP podcasts. There are other good ones, too.)

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 4, 2015

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Alzheimer's is the worst. gently caress Alzheimer's.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Are there any RPGs where people legitimately enjoy the combat mechanics as mechanics? Like, beyond the narrative it creates, actually have fun fighting because of the mechanics?

D&D 4e (as has already been noted, it's got fun fighting)
Burning Wheel Gold (the positioning system in Gold edition is so much nicer than the old one, and scripted combat is exciting!)
Burning Empires (but oh man, it's a pretty rough learning curve. And Burning Wheel Gold is better.)
Strike! (I mean, of course I enjoy my own game. Wouldn't make much sense if I didn't.)

I thought of other games I love, and they don't really meet the criteria. Mouse Guard/Torchbearer nope. Dungeon World nope. Apocalypse World... yeah, but they're not just for combat, so I dunno if it counts exactly.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Effectronica posted:

but there's also the danger (and this is why I dislike fail-forward) of cutting away what makes RPG stories genuinely fascinating by killing the real suspense that emerges through play.
This is why Strike uses the language "Twist" rather than "fail-forward". Twists could fail forward, or they could totally gently caress you (but in an interesting way). It leaves that decision open, and lets people naturally do what they are used to, so long as it's not setting up roadblocks.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh my God they have a gallery of demotivational posters in the Year of Luigi 2015.

I scrolled to the bottom and then saw that it wasn't actually the bottom - there were 13 loving pages of them. What the poo poo.

Also, the best thing to ever come out of the forge was designers helping other designers self-publish without breaking the bank. Literally the only money I had to spend on Strike before I got funded on Kickstarter was a couple hundred for some initial art and a bit of minor layout help. Now I'm going to get to keep a few thousand bucks after I pay for the other art and suchlike - I'm not making a fortune, but I'm not spending my loving life savings on it either. And even if it had flopped, I would only have been out the cost of a few nights out with the family.

I totally appreciate the drive to create and to spend way more time on a thing than you're ever going to be compensated for. If this guy had simply wasted 2 years of his free time on his hobby project, that'd be totally cool as far as I'm concerned. That's what free time is for. But for the love of everything, don't spend your savings!

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 18, 2015

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Yeah, if it wasn't John Harper, I wouldn't back a game in such an unfinished state. But I think I'll go in for $20 based on his past work. I have confidence he'll make something cool.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

I would certainly post in such a thing, but I'd feel weird starting a thread with "Wait so can we go over how orc magic works again? How am I supposed to integrate orcs in a party anyway?"

P.S. This book is really, really pretty. Plus I like most of the writing, although it looks like it's not super stream-lined as a reference.

I'll post in such a thread.

To answer your question, integrating orcs into a party with like a human and an elf is going to be rough. I mean, these aren't just green-skinned buff humans we're talking about. Having a party with a couple of orcs and a great wolf (from the monster burner) and one rear end in a top hat of a human would work great, though. A party like that could bring misery to an entire nation.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Attention Jimbozig: I started looking more into Strike upon being urged by people on the IZ and now I ask: how fit is it to run a Final Fantasy Tactics game because I really wanna do one.

Oh hey Plutonis, didn't see this until today. It's been years since I played Final Fantasy Tactics, but from what I remember, I think Strike would be pretty much perfect.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Cyphoderus posted:

I'm as much into making fun of terrible stereotypes as the next man (the looks section is amazing), but when you turn that into an RPG, devote your game design energies to it, and expect players to sink 3-4 hours of their times, multiple times, into it, isn't that going a bit far with the "ironic" appreciation?

Yeah, seems like it to me. I like to have in-jokes and irony in my game sessions, not in my game system. I can happily play a trenchcoat-katana dude or a brony (having young daughters, I know my ponies) or whatever other ironic thing without being told what jokes to make by the game mechanics.

But I wouldn't ever tell somebody not to play a game if it looked interesting to them just based on such a superficial assessment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

TheTatteredKing posted:

CAH cards never work grammatically and that annoys me. Also while some cards are hilarious like "the mere concept of applebees" good like getting the subject card that it works with

Well, I just dusted off my copy and the best match I could find was "During sex I like to think about..."

But even then you're going to get beaten by the rear end in a top hat who throws in "Consensual sex"

So yeah, you're right. As funny as "the mere concept of applebees" is, it's completely unplayable. A card that just said "Applebees" would fit way more black cards while still being used to make fun of Applebees. There are a number of cards like this, which could be much better with minor edits. Also, I got the Canadian version and many of the special Canadian cards are GARBAGE. Who the gently caress is schmirler the curler. Canada is full of hilarious poo poo and they pull up some curler? Just having a card that said "Curling" would be funnier, because curling is a bit of a ridiculous sport.

• Locked thread