Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm currently reading through Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying. I don't know if I'll get to play it, but the mechanics seem really solid and the books are well written.

I'm planning to run a PbP of something this month, just waiting to see if my current PbP signups pan out else I'm going to be too busy.

I loved running WHFRP3. I only got to do it the once for one adventure over 2 sessions though, and I never got to play. It's a really neat system once you work out how it all fits together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

...the dungeon level 1 random monster table includes a crab spider...

You just reminded me of something. In the very first dungeon I ever made, which was the second floor under the dungeon presented in the red books and was my second session ever DMing or playing, I rolled to put in a crab spider in the first room. I foreshadowed it with webs and scary weird footprints and stuff and everyone thought it was really cool. Then I got my first TPK. We were like 8 so then we went outside to ride bikes or something.

It was a while before I understood that they didn't lose to the spider because they didn't play the game very well, they lost to the spider because it's a loving bullshit monster at 1st level.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 15, 2015

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Simian_Prime posted:

I'm of the opinion that if you're going to present your RPG as a meatgrinder, character creation should take 10 min, tops.

Your total stats should fit on an index card.

I've been thinking about a dungeon crawl game where character creation is "draw a card from these three decks" (or maybe "draw 2 and discard 1 from each of these three decks").

Card 1 gives you your race/background/talents. Card 2 gives you your melee stats, physical skills, and some gear. Card 3 gives you your caster stats, mental skills, and some gear.

There'd be 40 or so cards per deck with lots of variety. So you'd go "poo poo, Bob the Dwarf Fighter died... Gimme a sec. Now I'm a <draw> Elven alchemist with a talent for drinking and <draw> huge biceps and a two handed sword and <draw> a dunce cap and no spells".

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

Sounds like one of my generators, that's what it sounds like. I'll sue.

For which game? If it's actually similar, I'll just buy a copy of yours instead of thinking real hard about this for a month, producing 20 pages of notes and ideas, and then never doing anything with it again.

Man Dancer posted:

I ran a session of Dungeon Crawl Classics at my game store last week and just went to the Purple Sorcerer 0-Level Party Generator and spat out 10 sheets of 4 random 0-level characters for my players to sift through. It was super easy and fast, the players loved their sets of 4 randomly-generated saps, while still being entertained when 50% of them perished. I thought having the players not go through the process of creating the characters themselves would lower their engagement and attachment, but really all the players needed to do was name the characters and posit a few relationships between them. I highly recommend it!

When we play Basic D&D (Mentzer version) now, we just have a big pile of pregens face down on the table and when you die you take the next one, write your new name in, and show up when combat's over (or immediately if you died outside of combat). You could theoretically "win" by having taken the fewest pregens at the end of the dungeon, but you actually win just by drinking beer, talking poo poo, and not caring too much when Grythx The Very Stupid falls in a pit and dies.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 16, 2015

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

chaos rhames posted:

Don't make 3 decks, make one big one and let people redraw 1 if it's a third race, and give each card a stat boost and power. Be a Warrior/Wizard/alcoholic or elf/elf/dwarf.

That's a little less serious than the tone I had in mind, but I can't see anything actually wrong with this idea either. If the goal was a silly tone, I'd want to do it so it was possible to be a double-vampire vampire-slayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Doodmons posted:

Cunnilingus jokes apparently make Trad Games bring out its A game.

The A game is lower.

• Locked thread