Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Kai Tave posted:

As big an rear end in a top hat as the Pundit is, credeting him with being one of Next's creators is a serious stretch. He's a "consultant" or more likely a mascot. Next is a lovely game and Pundit is a lovely person but there's no need to ascribe him more importance than he deserves.

Even if he didn't write the game, the attitudes and philosophies behind Fifth Edition were definitely enumerated and curated by RPGPundit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Impermanent posted:

It really is funny how the playbooks for Apocalypse World can encapsulate character archetypes as diverse as "batman, luchador, Rorsharch, Jacket, Phantom of the Opera, Tuxedo Mask, Jim Carrey or Green Goblin." Meanwhile Dungeon World's playbooks with far more moves and text allow you to play "D&D fighter" or "D&D wizard."

Hey, that's not fair. There are also like six dozen types of wizards. In this way, Dungeon World has succeeded at modeling the real-world experience of playing Dungeons & Dragons beyond what its creators could have possibly imagined.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

On a related note, my biggest problem with AW is that there doesn't seem to be any common pop-culture reference for the "fiction" that Baker has so tightly designed his game around. The three most commonly cited influences (Mad Max, Fallout, and Tank Girl) are so different that finding common ground can be difficult for players starting out. It's gritty like Fallout, but without the cheeky nostalgia. It's epic like Mad Max, but doesn't really support the "lone wanderer" aspect. It's gonzo like Tank Girl, but not cartoony.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

DigitalRaven posted:

Welcome to tradgames, where our universal language is uncritical acceptance of conservative expansionist imperialism with a side of celebrating the Great Man theory of history.

Some days I want to burn this hobby.

Dude, have you cracked a high school history textbook? Ever?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

neonchameleon posted:

You might claim to have given up childish ways, but so does a teenager in the middle of painting their bedroom black.

:drat:

DigitalRaven posted:

Not an American one.

Imagine the suffering of millions of people and centuries of complicated political changes described with the dispassionate interest and biased focus of a Forgotten Realms handbook. That's what it's like to learn history in the US. Don't blame the child, blame the parent.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Literally this thread right now http://youtu.be/dEGJ651Bwsc?t=2m0s

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The first person to do a proper Trek World that actually replicates the themes of the show and isn't just Dungeon World With Phasers will have all of my disposable income.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Reading the Complete Book of Gnomes and Halflings,* I discovered that gnomes prefer to prank each other instead of direct confrontation. Personal injury is fine so long as it's humorous. The example given is a trip wire which sends the victim tumbling down a tunnel into an animal trap.

Hilarious.

*Don't judge me. Insomnia.

What bizarre minutiae have you found in the backpages of a splatbook?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I picked up FantasyCraft (after reading about it here) and it seems to be what you guys are looking for: D&D where noncasters have poo poo they can do and the rules actually function mostly as intended. It's not much more complicated than its predecessor, if at all.

Also, there are rules for buying a keep with the fame you earned saving a town and one of the PC species is literally a dragon.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Kai Tave posted:

An ironic reversal of fortune in which Plutonis takes flak for a post that is actually good.

Yeah, let's not jump on people for using singular they for a person whose gender they are not familiar with. I mean, really.

We're gonna miss you, Avery :( Like, a lot.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

fez_machine posted:

The closest that's come to a 4e tactics game is https://www.cardhunter.com but even then it's not a 1:1 replication.

This got passed over but everyone should give it a try. It's a great game with an old-school aesthetic and features bonus Gamemaster Grog telling you how his game isn't for intellectual weaklings.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 10, 2015

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Woke up to this news. :(

I read his "A Slip of the Keyboard" a few months ago and I highly recommend it for anyone grieving for Sir Terry.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Little yippy dog people.

Corgbolds forever.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I always thought of it as Kobold culture revolving around service to the Biggest Bad they could find - which is usually a dragon, but sometimes a lich or maybe a beholder. Kobold tribes defend their patron until some stupid tall people come in and ruin their day. Most of them run away and wander about until they find a new evil master and the cycle repeats.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

bunnielab posted:

When did people stop enjoying dice rolling? I like dice :(

In all seriousness, rolling dice is fun as hell but the way most RPGs handle dice slows the game down significantly. Determine bonuses, roll dice, compare success sounds simple until you get to conditional bonuses/penalties, multiple success rolls (multiattack/saves), additional rolls (damage/scatter) and so on. Stopping the game so that everyone can watch Justin roll dice for three minutes is not fun.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I always suspected that Cards Against Humanity was a metajoke, like the play-within-a-play in Hamlet. "Let's make the most offensive game and see who laughs!"

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tollymain posted:

it's who, not whom. you wouldn't say "him is a fair target", would you?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

gnome7 posted:

More often than not, a lot of manga tend to peter out or have really bad endings, too, so waiting until a manga finishes before making an anime for it runs the risk that the ending might ruin everything up to that point, or a bad ending may leave a sour taste in the mouths of a lot of potential viewers.

Man, this sounds familiar *cough* GameofThrones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Game of Thrones is apparently dropping major unpublished spoilers into the next season. They showrunners said they have a collection of Martin's notes and full creative control - as evidenced by GRRM's whining about last seasons' changes.

• Locked thread