Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Generally my major issue with 4e is that it's still D&D and so it was still a train of supplements with diminishing returns of value. And though it's a lot better than 3e for balance and optimization in that it's really hard to make an outright bad character, it's still very possible to make ridiculous min-maxed builds that nova or stunlock and reduce combat to a series of equations that just leave less math-divined characters twiddling their thumbs. I think there are fantastic lessons to be learned from it design-wise but it still carries a lot of baggage with it (the feat system, magic items, high-level play, overwhelming crunch, some clunky design in the core material, etc.) that keep me away. I'd love to play it seriously in tt at some point but that's probably never going to happen now. It's just too much of an investment for a single game both in terms of time and money.

my major issue with 4e is that it's not TORG TORG TORG TORG TORG TORG? TORG TORG TORG. TORG, TORG TORG TOOOOOOORG~

like i don't even care about the content bc it sounds like a loving pokemon and that is a selling point for me

games with titles that don't sound like pokemon are unworthy of my notice

did i mention my favourite RPG, magmarsterhearts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Simian_Prime posted:

beep boop im a robot that cant have fun unless it fits the parameters of my autism spectrum please help

uhhhhhhhhhhh

i'm sorry someone doesn't like an elfgame on its own and talked about it but is ableist poo poo really necessary

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

ProfessorCirno posted:

FWIW the whole "everyone saves up gold and then just dumps it on the level one character" is something that happened kinda often in Gygax's games.

The thing to remember is that there was often a somewhat sizable gap between "what Gygax said to do in his books" and "what Gygax actually did in his ames."

like, literally?

did they just unceremoniously dump it on them once or twice or were there entire plotlines centered around giving each party member THEIR CHANCE to swim through a scrooge mcduckian pile of gold doubloons or w/e

were there rules for dumping piles of olde tymey wizard money on ppl in 3.5 bc that's at least enough to make me vaguely kind of a tiny bit interested in pathfinder

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Kai Tave posted:

It's not even a sandbox thing necessarily. A lot of GMs start with a premise for a game that directs the players towards an immediate short-term goal...the King is looking for adventurers to go and rescue his daughter from kobolds, the Galactic Survey Corps wants you to go explore the planet Zokfar, the Prince of Poughkeepsie is holding a vampire ball and intrigue is afoot, etc...but then once that's done they didn't really have any sort of long-term plan in mind, so things often become "uh, okay, hang on and lemme think." If he's lucky then the players have bit at a plot hook or two and will trundle along in that direction, otherwise a lot of the time the GM comes up short-handed.
oh golly, please do tell me more about the decadent gothic-punk vampyre kingdom of poughkeepsie

Rockopolis posted:

I find it difficult to work up any enthusiasm for PbP; I can't stop thinking that it's gonna be a huge slow mess and flame out into nothing.
And I've been too shy to use Roll20 or anything like that.

I'm not even sure I'm involved in this hobby anymore, I don't think I've even played a game this year.
yes good don't use roll20 that community is a roaring garbagefire of creeps and boring 5e/pf fuckboys and some weirdo trying to run a 12-person MH livegame

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Please capitalize your posts and respect people who like 5e and PF and don't generalize a gaming community.

Although I didn't knew there was a Roll20 community I just used it on ircgames I was already in and on a Rogue Trader game that I played with YCSers before I had to drop out due to classes.
i have ethical objections to using proper grammar at all ever in the chat thread sorry not sorry

Rannos22 posted:

I don't think I've seen a worse reason not to use roll20, and its not like you need to dig deep to find a good reason.
The ehhhh D&D/PF thing is just a dumb personal preference thing, but uh how is 'there are lots of creepers here' a bad reason?

Like, I'm not saying USE THIS SITE NEVER OKAY or something! As a tool, it's great! But from context it sounded like Rocko was talking about playing with (well, being too shy to try playing with) actual people from R20, and, uh....it's the only elfgaming site where I've seen like 5-6 different skeevy 'looking for ~females~' recruits and an honest-to-god PUA webinar ad in the LFG forum! It is also the only elfgaming site where I've gotten seven-paragraph PMs out of the blue from dudes who can TELL over the internet that LIKE THEM I HAVE AN ANCIENT SOUL and want to roleplay being raped and beaten to death bc something something past lives

so, y'know.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh my God they have a gallery of demotivational posters in the Year of Luigi 2015.

what the poo poo these are like

does someone become this insufferable on their own or is there like

a process

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Siivola posted:

Ropecon's in May this year. So, uh, more like two months. :ohdear:

Edit: Oh poo poo, Jason Morningstar's going to be the guest of honor!

...Uh, who's Jason Morningstar, again? I only recognize the name. :downs:
y'know i remember you saying a thing in persona before but christ 'ropecon' not being some kind of wacky elf shibari convention or w/e keeps throwing me for a loop

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Joesky likes Carcosa and that's fine with me

so uh which carcosa we talkin' about here

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

what the gently caress is going on

how did i miss hivemindchat 'cos that's kinda ~appealing~ in the abstract

why are there so many overtalkative garbagechans here suddenly

bunnielab posted:

I said it in a lovely way but the point is valid, if you are going to ask people to " not using people as a punchline when they're part of a marginalized group of people" then it is a fair question to ask "whom is a fair target to be used as a punchline"?
why do you have such consistently terrible opinions

Evil Mastermind posted:

The other problem is the "tumblr SJW", who by dint of loudness became the "face" of the concept social justice. These are the people who have no sense of scale to their moral outage: all offenses are equally offensive, all injustice is equally terrible. They have the same rage level regardless of if they're seeing a news story about a trans teen being beaten to death or if they're a vegan seeing someone post a picture of their steak dinner on their photostream. And because they treat every slight as the end of the loving world, people now associate even a basic statement as "misogyny is bad" with stuff like "my doctor said I needed to lose weight because I'm running a severe health risk HOW DARE HE FAT SHAME ME".

And yes, that's a thing I honestly saw on tumblr.
who unironically whines about TUMBLR SJWS UGH outside of the chans and redpill drat son

how do you get from "someone saw the doctor and got upset bc the doctor focused on weight (to the neglect of any other issue by the sound of things)" to THOSE "TUMBLR" "SJWS" THEY HAVE NO SENSE "OF" SCALE

like yeah being overweight is a health problem but if it's not the sole problem somebody's worried about I don't see where it's some ~CRAZY TUMBLRINA THING~ so much? And if your takeaway from the majority of SJ stuff on social media (tumblr or twitter or otherwise!) is 'HRNFGH IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THEY'RE SEEING A PICTURE OF STEAK OR A TRANS TEEN MURDERED IN AN ALLEY THEYRE SO ANGRYYYYYY' i think that's more telling about you than anything else.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

i'd totally fuckin say 'him is a fair target'

all hims #wow #whoa #killallmen

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Tollymain posted:

I'm actually not a prescriptivist in the slightest. I mean, have you seen my posting?

there isn't a prescription strong enough heyooooooooooo

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hey, go gently caress yourself! How's that?
well, if you insist.~♥

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Nuns with Guns posted:

Where's my Tokyo Mew Mew RPG?

edit- actually I could see how a Cardcaptor rpg could be pretty fun
would play the hell out of a Cardcaptor Sakura RPG ngl

or a princess tutu elfgame aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

unseenlibrarian posted:

Changeling: The Lost with a focus on the talespinning stuff has enough Princess Tutu in the DNA that I think I'm going to make it required viewing next time.

(Talespinning characters who don't just have limited access from some "I am a story archetype" merit go full Drosselmeyer very quickly.)
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i didn't really think of that bc i'm dumb but now i kind of really want to bully some nerd into running something that-ish

(i'd say the same about chubbo's  whimsical  wishgranting  heart  health  telethon thing but sigh nobody's ever going to run that on SA with the exception of that one game last spring that died at the word go SIGH)

paradoxGentleman posted:

There is also Princess: the Hopeful, a fan splat of the World of Darkness of all things. I am no good at judging mechanics, but from a tone standpoint it doesn't really gel with the rest of the setting and it feels really amateurish when it comes to editing.

Every time I read it I can't help but think that if the focus shifted from "look how nice and good and pure the Hopeful are" to "It sucks trying to do good in the WoD, also are we sure we know what's best for humanity?" it could have felt right at home.
i wanted to like this but i've heard Things both about the mechanics/actual bookthing and the people involved (lol Huitzil) so it's like welp

~LITERALLY SO PURE AND GOOD THAT ANYONE AT ALL EVER SUFFERING HURTS YOU~ laffo

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Rockopolis posted:

Moscow Mule with lemon.

Any RPGs revolving around brewing or bartending?

ummmmmm how could you forget acclaimed rpg Dungeons and Drank

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

FMguru posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_of_Settlement

quote:

The archaic English term pale is derived from the Latin word white  ppl, a stake, extended to mean the area enclosed by a fence or boundary
reeeeeeally did not expect to Actually Learn Things in the chat thread but whoooo stuff i didn't know

also unrelatedly uh does somebody want a PS+ trial code :ohdear: sweetie and I are now PROUD PARENTS OF A PS4 but we're already subscribed to PS+ and I don't want to toss it out somewhere in Games bc i don't want to get any of Games on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Len posted:

Can't you just add the code to your current time? On reflection I'm not sure if the Destiny PS+ code worked that way or not but that's what I attempted to do.

Nope, 'new subscribers only.' :(

e: okay, Covok! should I give it to you on irc or uh

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 31, 2015

• Locked thread