Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

WWW has "momentum", which you earn through moves and such. You spend momentum to add to your rolls and generally maintain control of a match. You start with a point or two of momentum, and you gain more mainly by doing things like cutting promos and working the crowd.

That actually sounds really cool and clever based on the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of which, what's the latest on the IW hardcopies?

Yeah, I'd like to know this too, actually just sent a Kickstarter message a little bit ago.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

gnome7 posted:

Everything should be out now except the Personalized Tier and the Illustrated Tier. I have finished doing art for every single physical book, and all of them are in Mikan's hands now. She needs to write all over them for the Personalized Tier stuff, and then mail them out. I'll ask her for a status report next time she's online, we're probably due for an update.

If you are waiting on something other than those things, let me know so I can sort you out.

I had a clean copy in addition to a personalized one, would those be going out together?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Something about Dungeon World didn't hook me, I'm not really sure why. Both playing it and running it fell flat. On the other hand, Monster of the Week just clicked for me, so it's not an AW thing. There's just this difference in how the playbooks and moves are presented that doesn't work for me. DW's are very prescriptive, which makes sense given how it tries to cleave to the source material. Apocalypse World and Monster of the Week have this feeling of giving you special, alternate means of approaching problems in a way that the class books don't.

I think it has something to do with the way the ability scores are presented as your be-all end-all approach, it evokes the wrong sorts of stuff about D&D for me. On the other hand, a more 'standard' (for lack of a better word) AW-powered game doesn't push you into Str, Dex, and Int, it pushes you toward Hot and Sharp, Volatile and Dark, Look and Power, or Tough and Weird. It just creates this different space to tell your stories in. Heck, maybe 6 is too many stats!

Basically, Dungeon World has too much D&D in it for its own good.

On the other hand, a current Kickstarter (Uncharted Worlds, if you want to check it out) really caught my imagination and pulls the right sorts of ideas from class-based systems. Your character is built out of these components, two careers and a background. These give you skills and the like, in addition to ideas on how they blend with other parts. From there, all the fluff is on you to name your 'archetype'. So you end up with very different approaches to problems based on that flavor. I mean, I have no idea how it works in play for obvious reasons, but I really like the idea and I feel like it hits the notes that DW doesn't.

One of my favorite bits of 4e is how your role and power source interact to build your class and your race shapes you inside of that space. This gives you things like Paladins and Avengers sharing similar thematic spaces due to the Divine source, but their respective roles (defender and striker) shape their approaches to combat. Race and deity let you diverge even further, both mechanically and thematically. Something like Uncharted Worlds' approach (in this case Race, Role, Power Source) would really make a fantasy AW hack shine for me.

I think, at the end of the day, if I want to play D&D, I just want to play 4e to get that experience. If I'm playing something else, I want a different experience, not the same sort of storytelling and worldbuilding with different crunch attached.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Fallorn posted:

Friend of mine got me into the DBZ card game because it started up again and the cards are cool looking.

Man, that game was a mess before, but the power-up mechanics were neat and I liked the clear cards for it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Plague of Hats posted:

I think the "prerelease" of Wulin is still on DTRPG, but it's pretty much the final book. I heard the physical books finally emerged from shipping hell, but I'm not sure. If you are curious, Wulin is definitely a clear improvement mechanics-wise (still a few problems, as always), and while I like WotG's setting I wouldn't play it straight anyway, and Wulin's setting is not actually bad or anything.

Yeah, they did. Book's gorgeous. I posted pictures when I got mine, because I didn't believe it was an actual, physical, thing, either.

And yeah, the "pre-sale" version is the final, as far as I know. That's the version I have on my account.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Lord Frisk posted:

At least you didn't make them confirm their crit. That was the worst design decision I think I've ever seen. Let's take the only fun part of rolling a d20 and make it not happen 50% of the time. gently caress.

Worth noting that 4e sort of does this. A 20 is an auto-hit, but is only a crit if your 20+mods is actually high enough to hit the target. It just cuts out the confirm part. It really only ever comes into play with huge debuffs, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Payndz posted:

At the moment, I'm using "players go first because they're the heroes, then monsters" unless they're taken by surprise, in which case the monsters get the first round. But yeah, like Splicer said I'm trying to speed up the whole routine of everyone gets a roll. Maybe have monsters roll in blocks rather than individually, I dunno.

Sounds like your group might like Popcorn Initiative. You roll for init as normal, but only highest counts for getting their side first action. It's passed as the current player (or monster) decides, which ends up being pretty interesting, as controlling initiative lets you do some fun combinations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Dice are fine as long as you're given a way to manage the randomness somehow, like workers in Castles of Burgundy or the dice manipulation in King's Forge. I also don't mind games with a lot of randomness as long as they're short. I mean, heck, Cthulhu dice has a spot in my bag and it's barely a game.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I enjoy rolling dice and pretending to be a dwarf. :rolldice::hf::black101:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There are few better things than a Rogue Modron Rogue.

What about a rouge rogue modron rogue?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rockopolis posted:

Anyone play any of the goofy spinoffs of Burning Wheel/Torchbearer? Like Burning Jihad or Colonial Marines? I can't find Under a Serpent Sun anymore, which is probably for the best; that one gave me nightmares, not that that's a hard thing to do.

I've always wanted to check those out, but I've never been able to find the PDFs anywhere.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Covok posted:

I immediately found the Colonial Marines one using my rabad alien fan powers.

Cool, thanks!

Rockopolis posted:

http://www.burningwheel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Downloads#Burning_Sands:_Jihad

Welcome to the No-Fly List.
(it's the Dune splat)

I think Under a Serpent Sun was removed for being too suicidal.

Yeah, I have the ones off of the wiki.

The one I really wanted to check out was Under a Serpent Sun. I'm surprised at how tough it is to find, but I haven't looked insanely hard, just 15 minutes of google here and there. I have a little 5 page preview thing with the setting overview, but it's bigger than that, right?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, DA and the Game of Thrones RPG had a lot in common in that bent. I have never heard anyone actually voice an opinion on them. They're sort of platonic ideals of <Franchise>: The RPG.

They were too boring for me to even look and I own loving Continuum, Chi-Chian, and the old Tri-Stat Sailor Moon RPG just to get ideas.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Honestly, I haven't spent that much time with it, since I picked it up as a laugh, but it's got some neat ideas for making shonen-style special moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mors Rattus posted:

Continuum is many things but I have never before seen it accused of being boring.

I was just using it as an example of the kind of not really playable stuff I've bought just to read. Continuum is fascinating and I'd LOVE to get my hands on the final Narcissist playtest.

• Locked thread