Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
In March, I intend to finish up my Dungeon World game that's been going since July 2013. Maybe. We'll also be reviving the Team Rocket game with Monsters and Other Childish Things.

For new stuff I hope to finally play Fiasco, and maybe pick up a copy of A Dirty World. Later today, once I dig out from 6 inches of snow, the DM for a homebrew fantasy system will be doing a big battle between our characters and an undead army directed by one of his friend's teenage sons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You should be using GUMSHOE. Use GUMSHOE, please.

Just to expand on this, because Gumshoe is not super well-known...

Gumshoe is the underlying system for a series of games such as Fear Itself, the Esoterrorists, Trail of Cthulhu, Ashen Stars, and Night's Black Agents. Its ideas have been specifically adapted to Pathfinder as the "Lorefinder" version but I haven't read that.

The key idea of Gumshoe is this: Is it fun when you miss a clue to the mystery because you failed a roll? No, it really isn't. And then the GM scrambles to give you the clue another way or let you progress in the story.

Since that is not fun, in Gumshoe, you can just find the clue. Most of the other aspects of the system build onto that, so that each player can get cool clue-finding moments and interesting connections to NPCs or organizations. But the core idea is that in an investigative game, clues are super fun. You shouldn't be walling off the fun bit behind pass or fail die rolls.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Night10194 posted:

Are there any RPGs where people legitimately enjoy the combat mechanics as mechanics? Like, beyond the narrative it creates, actually have fun fighting because of the mechanics?

I think 13th Age combat is pretty fun. It's certainly the one I've had the most fun running as DM because so much of the information is out in the open and players can actually make plans accordingly. And the Escalation Die means that there is always an end in sight since it'll run faster as people's attention/energy is starting to wane.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

One idea I've experimented with before is never rolling for monsters. Instead, players roll to attack monsters, then DM declares a monster is attacking, and only hits if the player fails a defence roll. All the rolls in the hands of players.

Of course, that probably won't actually speed anything up since it simply tosses the roll off to another person. It does mean a whole lot of rolling out of turn and it keeps people engaged like hell. Maybe eliminate damage rolls?

This is basically how Dungeon World combat plays out, at least as I've done it and seen it run. In my DW game I got tired of swingy monster damage and went to averages and special attacks (more like 13th Age) and it actually did speed things up.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Thanks!

I'll try to make a thread when I get to my office tomorrow.

I made one quite a while ago but it's long since hit archives. If you can find it feel free to scavenge the OP.

• Locked thread