Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

In his defense, he has a degree in anthropology and they already have names for all of the spiders.

idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3u6RfOufJQ

It cuts off archer's next line at the end though "I know! equally useless"

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I joined post draw down, was 30 when I contracted and have a misdemeanor weed charge from my early 20's and the Seabees and Navy were the only branch/job open besides the Air Guard. Mr. Nice! can verify I am the right combination of crazy and stupid that going the route I did was a better life move than what I was doing before.

I took some tarantula in the wild photos during training so gently caress you my degree paid off.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hey, I mean for some people selling shoes is the next biggest accomplishment in their life to their four TD game back in high school. Others seek the thrill and excitement of spending the better part of 6 months building a fence that then had to be taken down and built by someone else because the dimensions were wrong.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Considering they had us put up 700m costing 80 grand worth of chain link mesh knowing it was the wrong size I fully expect my battalion will be the ones replacing it next cycle.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
My favorite Seabee related sign, seen outside the Guam NEX (paraphrasing):

SAFETY IS OUR #1 PRIORITY
PROJECT LEAD: BU1 DINGBAT
SAFETY LEAD: BU3 MCFUCKERSON

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

I joined post draw down, was 30 when I contracted and have a misdemeanor weed charge from my early 20's and the Seabees and Navy were the only branch/job open besides the Air Guard. Mr. Nice! can verify I am the right combination of crazy and stupid that going the route I did was a better life move than what I was doing before.

I took some tarantula in the wild photos during training so gently caress you my degree paid off.

Shoulda gone reserves.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Does an anthro degree qualify you for OCS or are you already taking some.extra college courses?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LingcodKilla posted:

Shoulda gone reserves.

Im not sure if my opinion of the reserves is, No one should ever go reserves" or if it's, "People should only go reserves if they were never AD"

The reserves are really goddamn infuriating.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Does an anthro degree qualify you for OCS or are you already taking some.extra college courses?

Yes a bacehlors degree from a real university qualifies you

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

The reserves are really goddamn infuriating.

My opinion is that the reserves are super easy and chill and you can legitimately tell everyone to calm the fuc down because you only do this dumb poo poo 2 days a month. My first couple months when I was still in my AD mindset I was frustrated every drill weekend, now I just roll with whatever happens.

Of course I also went reserves after AD for healthcare, a bonus, and retirement, and it turns out I got hosed on literally all three so...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

My opinion is that the reserves are super easy and chill and you can legitimately tell everyone to calm the fuc down because you only do this dumb poo poo 2 days a month. My first couple months when I was still in my AD mindset I was frustrated every drill weekend, now I just roll with whatever happens.

Of course I also went reserves after AD for healthcare, a bonus, and retirement, and it turns out I got hosed on literally all three so...

Wait how did your health care get hosed?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

maffew buildings posted:

Yes a bacehlors degree from a real university qualifies you

Got my poly sci degree and they took me in the help fly planes! :downs:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Wait how did your health care get hosed?

No one told me federal employees were ineligible for reserve tricare.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

Considering they had us put up 700m costing 80 grand worth of chain link mesh knowing it was the wrong size I fully expect my battalion will be the ones replacing it next cycle.

It's not like anyone actually here is gonna do it.

Had our first DUI in YEARS the other day...and also basically the entire Naval Air Force is grounded.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

At least you'll be able to spend your final days before you PCS to Lemoore how it is intended, at safety stand downs and with liberty restrictions

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I hate to blast into the thread without, uh, reading it, but Navy folks are fundamentally good folks for employment. I was a Navy nuke that really disliked it (I made EM1 but have an FTN tattoo), but got a great job at a company that is actually cool and respectful to all faiths, orientations, and genders. We are hiring in my location, so I just want to ask if we have any fellow nukes getting out soon that would be interested in living in The Dalles, Oregon and working at a Google data center. If so, feel free to PM and I can give you some pointers.

Link is below, if you so desire, but if you want to talk first I can make it a referral that might help you out. Also, non nukes that feel they fit the description are of course welcome to apply and message me for tips. Occasionaly we have opening at our other locations, but The Dalles typically has a higher cost of living and less demand, so we are generally understaffed.

https://www.google.com/about/careers/jobs#!t=jo&jid=/google/data-center-facilities-technician-the-dalles-or-usa-2660013&

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I hate to blast into the thread without, uh, reading it, but Navy folks are fundamentally good folks for employment. I was a Navy nuke that really disliked it (I made EM1 but have an FTN tattoo), but got a great job at a company that is actually cool and respectful to all faiths, orientations, and genders. We are hiring in my location, so I just want to ask if we have any fellow nukes getting out soon that would be interested in living in The Dalles, Oregon and working at a Google data center. If so, feel free to PM and I can give you some pointers.

Link is below, if you so desire, but if you want to talk first I can make it a referral that might help you out. Also, non nukes that feel they fit the description are of course welcome to apply and message me for tips. Occasionaly we have opening at our other locations, but The Dalles typically has a higher cost of living and less demand, so we are generally understaffed.

https://www.google.com/about/careers/jobs#!t=jo&jid=/google/data-center-facilities-technician-the-dalles-or-usa-2660013&

Google is hiring nukes. If the nukes on my old boat only knew I'm sure I would hear "Once I get out, Google is going to hire me!" at least 3 times a week.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This sounds like a modern shanghai ploy... they'll go to the dalles for an interview, get drugged, and wake up shackled to the reactor plant in some old Russian sub forced to toil for the Pakistani/North Korean/Chinese navy

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
I work field service for a company based in PA that has global presence. I am assigned to NY, get a car allowance, they are paying for my degree, I get a good paycheck and overtime. There is hope outside the navy, and if you are a nuke you don't have to work at a plant to make money, and they are looking for more nukes to hire to move to New York.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I was a Navy nuke that really disliked it (I made EM1 but have an FTN tattoo), but got a great job at a company that is actually cool and respectful to all faiths, orientations, and genders

Highfive fellow EM1. Rates are dead and buried if you haven't heard.

I figured it was Google the moment you said "cool and respectful" line

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Null Integer posted:

Google is hiring nukes.

Why?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

It certainly has nothing to do with Google's self-driving ballistic missile submarine program. The fact that their new coastal data center looks exactly like a submarine pen is a complete coincidence.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Because nukes who don't wash out (submarine nukes especially) (who aren't otherwise autistic etc) are the personified resume line: "Cabable of quickly and competently learning any technical operations"

Because you're kinda forced to learn to do a lot of different miscellaneous jobs; e.g.

"Fix the oxygen generator, we can't figure out why it keeps having thermal shutdowns."
"Hey trouble shoot the power supply of this special snowflake Elint collection gear that we can't give you any documentation for"
"Spend 8 hours a day monitoring mundane reactor operations"
"Sit here and annotate this fire control plot scroll"
"Fill out this obscure QA paperwork"

Which translates to the vague yet premier civilian skill set of being widely useful

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

M_Gargantua posted:

Because nukes who don't wash out (submarine nukes especially) (who aren't otherwise autistic etc) are the personified resume line: "Cabable of quickly and competently learning any technical operations"

Because you're kinda forced to learn to do a lot of different miscellaneous jobs; e.g.

"Fix the oxygen generator, we can't figure out why it keeps having thermal shutdowns."
"Hey trouble shoot the power supply of this special snowflake Elint collection gear that we can't give you any documentation for"
"Spend 8 hours a day monitoring mundane reactor operations"
"Sit here and annotate this fire control plot scroll"
"Fill out this obscure QA paperwork"

Which translates to the vague yet premier civilian skill set of being widely useful

All signs point to Google's plan to dominate the world.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Null Integer posted:

All signs point to Google's Skynet's plan to dominate the world.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wonder if it has anything to do with the 200 new satellites google is trying to get a permit for.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Wonder if it has anything to do with the 200 new satellites google is trying to get a permit for.

Nope, the position I am shilling for is for our facilities and operations team. Performing and managing maintenance on infrastructure equipment and whatnot. We hire a lot of nukes because we need people with experience and knowledge of mechanical, electrical and control systems. We really like the well rounded education.

That is strange rates are dead. So, uh, does that mean any nuke can qualify RO, or did they maintain NECs? I assume they did, but I have to ask. Also, being out of the Navy is lots of fun and good. I recommend doing it. Employment is *not* a problem, don't listen to Chief.

I should also mention that Nukes and Navy folks do really well at *all* data centers, not just Google's. So, look into it if you are getting out. Amazon has lots of locations, Facebook has fewer locations but pay well and are fun.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Know of any datacenters that would like to hire an ex-IT1? Right now I'm working for HP Enterprise in Georgia but they're paying loving dirt (lmao $16 hourly) because all the IT types flocked to Atlanta due to high pay and low cost of living causing the pay to tank hard due to plenty of talent to fill the demand.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Null Integer posted:

Google is hiring nukes. If the nukes on my old boat only knew I'm sure I would hear "Once I get out, Google is going to hire me!" at least 3 times a week.

The serious answer is that monitoring a nuclear reactor and keeping it cool is very, very similar to monitoring a computer array and keeping it cool.

Nukes have the exact skillset needed to walk around a datacenter and keep the switchgears, AC plants, and instrumentation working.

That being said, nukes were losing favor according to a friend that sits interviews for Google. Many nukes he's interviewed have been unable to pass a technical interview on the topics on their resume which is pretty loltastic. MM2 has "5 years of refrigeration plant experience" on their resume but can't discuss the refrigeration cycle. He's been seeing it enough that he's been turning to the local technical college instead.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

KetTarma posted:

The serious answer is that monitoring a nuclear reactor and keeping it cool is very, very similar to monitoring a computer array and keeping it cool.

Nukes have the exact skillset needed to walk around a datacenter and keep the switchgears, AC plants, and instrumentation working.

That being said, nukes were losing favor according to a friend that sits interviews for Google. Many nukes he's interviewed have been unable to pass a technical interview on the topics on their resume which is pretty loltastic. MM2 has "5 years of refrigeration plant experience" on their resume but can't discuss the refrigeration cycle. He's been seeing it enough that he's been turning to the local technical college instead.

I will say this. I interviewed for a datacenter before field service and the fact that I was able to walk through generating 3 phase AC, a refrigerant cycle, basic maintenance and how to handle a basic "c" fire made the guy send me an offer the next day. apparently this is hard to get out of people. I joke I want to start a side business that has flash cards and basic guides on how to pass a technical interview and get the job, from clothing choice to mannerisms, to what to talk about, the whole nine yards, be Orion but for the "last mile" part of the job hunting process.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

KetTarma posted:

The 4 part refrigeration cycle? As a sub dude our mechanics seemed pretty on point and taught me alot about the steam plant that was super enlightening. I don't miss the Navy in the least, though it has been surprising that a group of people who I largely considered idiotic were quite likely the most professional and capable team I'm likely to ever work with.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

KetTarma posted:

Makes sense.

quote:

So does this, frankly.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Overheard a rumor today from some chiefs that ratings migt be coming back. The reasoning: "officers had no idea enlisted were so attached to their ratings." So basically some bullshit excuse, we'll blame Mabus, and then set everything back to normal.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

Overheard a rumor today from some chiefs that ratings migt be coming back. The reasoning: "officers had no idea enlisted were so attached to their ratings." So basically some bullshit excuse, we'll blame Mabus, and then set everything back to normal.

Yeah knowing what each other does is totally lame and I'd rather just have conversation with everyone about their job.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Plus it's confusing to future employers. No one on the outside is going to understand what an IT does.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Sir Lucius posted:

Note to self for after OCS. Don't try and take their jerbs.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sir Lucius posted:

a rumor today from some chiefs

Oh boy, some rock-solid intel right there.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

pro posing in that photo imo

• Locked thread