Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Navy Thread: an incredible lack of foresight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Grody posted:

Anyone ever been stationed in lemoore? is it as bad as it looks?
There now. If you don't mind catching Valley Fever, the constant smell of cow poo poo, and driving 40+ minutes to anything that loosely resembles civilization it's a great place to live.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

What is the general consensus on the USMap program? I have avoided doing anything with it for the past 3 years, but if it is actually going to benefit me when I separate and get a Big Boy Career I might start logging hours. I remain skeptical but would like to hear an opinion without the usual COC spin.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

Genitalia inspection is why I joined the Navy.
This is more accurate than you even realize yet, just make sure you witness the stream exiting the body!

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Is it childish of me to give zero consideration to the reserves after AD strictly for weed and beard reasons?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Plenty of empirical evidence has led me to believe that being literally retarded was just another checkbox on the roadmap to chief :confused:

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

So being within 1 year now of EAOS, I'm starting to take a serious look at transitioning back to a beard-havin, weed-smokin, life-lovin civilian but the unfortunate reality of mandatory health insurance (thanks Obama) is now staring me in the face.

Current plan is to go full-time GI bill student for 2 years to complete my BS in either electrical engineering, computer engineering, or both. I know the common GiP attitude is never not :frogout:, but with a wife and kid SELRES looks like it may a worthwhile thing to consider in the interim between finishing my degree and getting a health plan through an employer. Anyone know whether I'd be able to elect to only do 2 or 3 years of this as opposed to another full 4 year contract (I will have 5 in by EAOS), or any other pitfalls/benefits I should be aware of going forward with this plan?

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 27, 2016

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

You can sign a 3 year contract. If you affiliate within, I want to say, 30 days (I just had it for the day after eaos) you have a 2 year deferment from involuntary mobilization. I wasn't on the short list for mob (the got selected) until I signed a 2 year contract after my 3 year first reserve one was up.
So 3 years is the minimum I'd be eligble to re-up for? What's your opinion of the reserves compared to AD, and what do you actually do on your drill weekends and the 2-week yearly thing? KetTarma's past posts make it sound like nothing but showing up for a weekend to gently caress off and click through NKOs.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Pandasmores posted:

None of the schools where you were planning on attending offer medical to students, or if your wife could find an employer with coverage for her fam? Some states also offer government subsidies in paying for health insurance, I think Cali is one of them. Go ahead and re-up if you want for the 3 years of security, but what'll give you the most security in the long run?

DustyNuts wrote all the instructions we've ever looked at ever.
They offer to students but not family, and my wife will be leaving Lemoore the same time as me and will not realistically have a job lined up good enough to provide health coverage with no gaps prior to our move. Based on expected 2017 income I would qualify for Medicaid in my home state, but I have been balls-deep in insurance research the past couple days and this reserve thing is really looking like an attractive option (thanks DustyNuts for the resource).

I spoke with my CCC today and found that I can:

-sign for as little as 2 years which is perfect for my intentions
-get free family Tricare for the first 6 months of selres (TAMP), and then pay a competitive price ($210/mo) with stupid low copay and deductible after those 6 months
-Get paid ~$175 a day to drill 2 days a month, 20 miles from home
-Get a half-month's salary once a year for the two week drill
-Be guaranteed not to deploy in the first 2 years

As much as I don't like the thought of continuing on in the Navy, I can't deny that these options would really help my endgame of working the fewest hours possible while finishing school. The beard and weed might have to wait :unsmith:

e: one other question I will have to address with CC, but maybe someone here knows.. am I still eligible to receive the full BAH allowance and book stipend from the GI bill if I go to school while in the reserves?

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 28, 2016

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Have you ever received hazardous duty / combat pay? I'm not 100% but I thought that the oef/off benefits could be extended to dependents, though I may be confusing that with a 30%+ disability rating
Yes, during 2012-2013 deployment in support of OEF. As far as I can tell, I may be eligible for 5 years of VA medical coverage but no benefits are extended to dependents unless you're killed or receive a total and permanent disability. I don't have any major service-related health concerns.

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

-i think you can sign a 3 year IRR contract. i'd imagine a 2 year contract makes you an obligor driller(i.e. you have to drill). you should probably also be eligible for a bonus of some sort for signing a 2 year obligated contract but who knows. a 3 year irr contract means you may transfer from the drilling reserve to the irr at your own discretion and then, at a later date, return if you so chose. however, you can't do this on a month to month basis.
I thought you automatically transferred to IRR for the remainder of your 8 year contract once AD obligation was up unless you elect via CWAY to go SELRES. I didn't think there was any drilling involved at all in IRR? But also no family medical coverage, which is what I'm after here. What I'm intending is finish 5 years AD, sign 2 years for SELRES for the insurance while I finish my BS, then 1 year IRR during which I'm functionally not a part of the Navy at all but will have to find insurance elsewhere, for a total of 8 years.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 29, 2016

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Yeah I saw the cost details of the CHCBP the other day and immediately NOPED. I can get a high-deductible plan on the marketplace for $150 a month, and none of us have serious health problems such that we couldn't live without comprehensive coverage for a couple years. I'd be surprised if LS is eligible for a bonus but I will definitely look into it. SELRES is looking like it might be the way to go here. I'm at least going to apply CWAY for it and still have the rest of the year to change my mind if something better comes along. Re-enlisting AD is not happening under any circumstances. Never again. :911:

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 29, 2016

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Be careful throwing generalizations like that around, Hobolicious

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

11 months until the nightmare ends and SELRES begins. You make it sound so appealing.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Navy Thread: goddamn is majority of the time worthlessly spent

How are PFAs handled in the reserves, same biannual cycles as AD?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

I was told I will have to crossrate in order to go SELRES after my current active term, so naturally I came rushing to the Navy thread to gather goon opinions. Of the list of possible rates I was given, the only ones I'm considering are EM, OS, and YN.

My goal is to finish my BS in EE and/or CE during my 3 years in SELRES, at which point I plan to separate completely. Ideally I'd like whichever rate I take on to have a decent quality of life in addition to providing experience relevant to my chosen degree and my future job prospects with what may well be one of the defense contractors in my state (AZ). I realize that YN is probably the most skate in addition to not really furthering my career intentions.

Thoughts?

e: Option B - saying fuckit to the reserves and just working more hours / buying my own health insurance while going to school

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 2, 2016

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

I'm not saying I don't, I just have no real knowledge of what those rates entail other than what I'm reading about them on Wikipedia. CCC said it was EM (OTH) which he did not really elaborate on during the brief phone call we had. What's the OTH?

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 2, 2016

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Welp thanks for the inputs, I ended up putting in CWAY for EM today. I figure even if it ends up sucking, it's only 2 days a month right? And is probably the best thing on paper to go with my EE degree.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

I'm ported in Pearl Harbor with only buses for transportation. Where do I get the best spam & eggs breakfast?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

hogmartin posted:

I don't know of anywhere nearby that's specifically good for spam & eggs but the Silver Dolphin Bistro in the basement of the horseshoe barracks on the sub side is the best galley I've ever been to and they do great eggs to order. It's across the street from the submarine chapel.
Thanks for this. Not only was this the best galley I've ever eaten at, I was pleasantly surprised to find out it's free for the CSG.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Howard Phillips posted:

10 months left. 5 of them on deployment.

About to hit single digits for months remaining.

As soon as I turned in my resignation letter CO starts treating me like a ghost. My ego is bruised. I guess I just gotta get used to being marginalized and forgotten.

FTN. Dat tax free O3-E pay tho.
8 months left, 1 on deployment, currently at an all-time career low number of fucks given. Hoping the 3 years I owe the reserves are chill and good.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

If you're trying to get a government job that is where the reserves are mad useful because you will likely have good connections from your fellow weekend warriors for a job. But besides that the reserves is the shittiest thing in the universe oh my god
Surely it can't be shittier than being active duty while boatposting this? :ohdear:

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

How is urinalysis handled in the reserves? Asking for a friend

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Howard Phillips posted:

Is 10 months out too early to be short timing it?
Wasn't for me, 7 to go :toot:

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Good to know, I found some samples here, and I've been searching around for others. In general I've been trying to be as succinct as possible.

Also just got a call from my recruiter, I've got MEPS next week, after that then I can take my ASTB!
Take note of your level of enthusiasm for the military today, before you are in the poo poo. Re-evaluate in 4 years and report back.

Godspeed.

LingcodKilla posted:

Just go undesignated enlisted. Save you a lot of time writing stuff.
Plus you get to see all the jobs in action and pick the one you like

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Silver lining in the rate change: IYAOYAS no longer applicable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Less than two months until terminal :feelsgood: I'm glad I joined the Navy but I sure as hell don't want to do it anymore. Hopefully 1 weekend a month is tolerable enough to be worth the Tricare.

• Locked thread