Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At my DEP meeting today we had a guy bragging about him making nuke. The whole time I was all :smug: while he was trying to seem all awesome.

Another guy complaining because he was two points under on his ASVAB. I told him he lucked out but then he called me dumb. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I laughed way too hard at this. Thank you.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ded posted:

It was pretty much this. If an E-5 or E-6 did not get all 4.0 on every eval they had nearly zero chance of picking up rank.

Thank goodness I don't want this kind of responsibility.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have a question about my A-school; it's in Pensacola, Florida for ABE. What will my living conditions be? Will I be staying in a barracks with dozens of other people or will I have a dorm type thing or can I stay with a friend?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I can't bring my computer to play this awesome space game I just bought (E:D) during that time. Blows. :(

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Tons of people have laptops and play league on Wifi but the the barracks on NAS dont have coaxial like half the buildings on Corry Station do.

You can most certainly bring your computer. Just dont get it sent to you by the USPS. Those motherfuckers stole my computer and Ipad and refuse to pay out insurance because I cant provide receipts proving I bought them. The poo poo dissipated in their sorting base and they even found the empty box and mailed it back to me missing the 16lbs of stuff. Since its a government entity the Navy wont really help me either.

What they sent me back after it got lost at their shipping plant for three weeks. So whoever stole my poo poo just left the box lying around for the inspector to find it and mail it back. What. The. gently caress.

:wtc:

Major leagues of messed up. Definitely not putting my PC in UPS care. I only have a desktop because laptops make me upset.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

You may want to work on your laptop phobia if you plan on staying in past A school

I was actually fighting myself about it because:

Lou Takki posted:

A good gaming laptop is worth it IMO if you're stationed on a ship. Desktops are rarely viable. My shop had a shop desktop that one of my sailors owned but there is no way we could have supported multiple people bringing desktops onboard.

Plus, a laptop can be used in your rack. I used one of those padded blue folders they put awards in as a mouse pad in my rack, works loving great.

Just wanted to use my desktop as long as possible. I guess I'll post in here again after basic and ask for a link to a nice gaming laptop, and I guess it won't be so bad coming out with a couple grand. Also playing Shogun 2 while at sea could be p rad.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CMD598 posted:

You will be in a ~2+1 person dorm room with a shared bathroom. You will also be in Alpha.

Also the barracks have wifi and you can have laptops. (Sure as gently caress had mine)

Oh cool, I was hoping for the couple people dorm. I guess I'll just splurge out for a laptop after basic; it's better than nothing. As long as the screen is huge and I buy a separate mouse and keyboard it wouldn't be so bad.

Also what's Alpha?

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 11, 2015

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And here I thought I'd be done with waking up at for or five in the morning after basic. I should have known better. :suicide:

I have now accepted this will be my fate for the next five years.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

On the ship it probably makes sense for the trash collection to be done by the supply guys. As for laundry honestly most guys I know just do their own. It still may make more sense to have it done that way but I'm pretty sure on some ships only the high ranking Os get theirs picked up so it probably works ok to have to take it down yourself. All this is from a perspective of someone who has only ever deployed on carriers.

I was going to PM you but you were smarter than me with your money. Tell me about life on a carrier, seeing as that's where I'm (probably) going to be ending up.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

Probably be better if you just throw some specific questions out. There are others in here who have deployed aboard a carrier and a lot of stuff is the same no matter what you deploy on. I can probably answer a lot of questions but I'm not going to be able to tell you how to survive living in a 100 man berthing for instance.

I don't really have any right now, I was just hoping you'd tell me it won't be awful. :shobon:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Goons with any power in the Navy can only end horribly and I support you 100%.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I undeleted my Facebook account to post pictures for my family. Also figured it'd come in handy if I ever deploy overseas. But yeah, I never plan on telling my location on there or something dumb; mostly because settings are :effort:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what any of you are saying or talking about and dread the day I will.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Laranzu posted:

Some poo poo sucked. Some important dude said some things might not suck in the future. We are all waiting around to see how they gently caress it up.

Right then. :munch:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
How do you die if you fall off a carrier? I'm not doubting you die, I just want to know how. Like is it high enough that the impact on the water kill you because that doesn't seem likely, or do you just get sucked under the ship and drown? I'm asking for a friend.

Or are people just retarded enough to think it'll kill them?

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 23, 2015

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

You can knock yourself out or break a limb when you hit the water and sink. Or you do it at night and you'll drown before anyone finds you.

Boon posted:

The flight deck is almost 90 feet above the water. Saltwater get's preeeeeetty hard at those heights.

That makes sense. When do we get guard rails? :v:

vulturesrow posted:

Some people are dumb enough to think they'll be able to jump off and swim to shore.

I believe dumb people should be purged, anyway. :colbert:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well at least you didn't join the Airforce. You'd probably be dead by now.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Could always join the Russian Foreign Legion! :haw:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I am looking forward to my time in the Navy. :downs:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I, too, hate fat people, but I don't care enough to care.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't care how stereotypical I am, cornbread is the best thing. I also support the purging of the states south of Tennessee.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If I get assigned to a carrier will I still live in some barracks or just my rack on the ship? I've been reading about Navy barracks and they seem p nice and I think it'd be depressing if my living space consisted of a single bed.

Also do I get an option to choose between a carrier or a base? That would be rad, so I doubt that's a thing in the Navy.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Welp, that blows.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

-edit just get married imo

Willing if you are. :wink:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am definitely gunning for west coast because I need to get away from the south, and it seems all the east coast carriers are in Virginia. :suicide:

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah barracks are extremely hit or miss. Sometimes it's like a 4 star resort and others you're sharing a 10x10 room (outside of a training command, mind you) with another dude and some rear end in a top hat fat poo poo BPO that went TAD to do it because his command wants to get rid of him for a while and he's a terminal e-5 with a fat wife that can't afford to get out because he has 3 kids. He is coming through randomly throughout the week and threatening you with squat bay barracks because you didn't high dust or left a gum wrapper in your trash can. Then goes and tattles to your chief

Oh and fire alarm tests and all hours

:smith:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pandasmores posted:

If you get a barracks room make sure shits clean and your roommate isnt a bag of rear end. If they are a bag of rear end your safest bet is documenting his bagassery with pictures and snitching to your LPO just in case you fail a room inspection its not all on you.

I like cleaning, but I will put the fear of Anita (god) into them if they're asshats.

LingcodKilla posted:

Pensacola Corry training command had you in either the Ghetto with tame rats or in extremely nice two person accommodation. I stayed in both. The Ghetto was ok if you like people and keep clean enough to not attract the rats.

:stare:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Laranzu posted:

Would fit right in to CTN. Saw some dude unsheathe a pretend samurai sword, swing it at some dude he knew walking by, bow, and put the sword away.

Another guy has a giant anime desk covering. I've seen multiple pony dolls.

This is the gooniest poo poo.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

:snoop:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You're telling me I'll be evaluated based on actual work?

brb joining the Air Force.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Just as I opened to read some jackass just fired off a salvo over my house. loving kids better not wake up.

Your children would be lucky to wake up to the SOUNDS OF FREEDOM

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I leave for basic Tuesday and it finally hit me that my life is over. RIP me.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Seqenenra posted:

What rate will you be?

ABE. It was that or Logistics. A few people told me I chose well; it seems debatable but when someone here said carriers get the best ports I was happy with my decision.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Maybe I was just a scared kid, but the urge to jerk it never once crossed my mind there. A week later a A school otoh I probably could have cured California's drought issue.

I figure this would be me. I went a whole week without jerking it in my AJROTC summer camp thing. :v:

Also I had my first threesome tonight. The girls said they wanted to send me off with something nice, and it was. :unsmith:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I shaved Friday and don't play on doing it again until at least A school. :shrug:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Why would you even shave in basic?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bengy81 posted:

What if one of the trolls lovely female sailors from your sister div wants to give you a blowie in the laundry room?

She'll hafta deal with it. :colbert:

ded posted:

because otherwise you get screamed at for having even a bit of stubble showing?

Genitalia inspection is why I joined the Navy.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I should have joined the loving air force.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

He's out! How was your boot camp experience shipmate!

Stenciling for a third of boot camp has given me valuable life lessons.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I didn't buy div shirts 'cus my division was complete autism.

Yet we somehow still managed to get the Battle E flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Battlebugs 4 lyfe

Did you have a coed div? Mine just tried to gently caress constantly so we were terrible overall.

Just found out we did indeed have a boot camp marriage. I wish those two girls the best in life.

All male. From stories I've heard I got lucky, but I was on the Arizona and marching anywhere was a bitch.

• Locked thread