Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Sir Lucius posted:

I don't consider myself Navy moto or anything though. I just feel like being an officer in the reserves would make more sense than being enlisted. Like, if I didn't make board or whatever, no big loss, I would just get out completely and have more weekends to myself. Also, as an officer I'd have a lot more leverage to organize and run an exercise than I would as enlisted.

I am posting in GiP just to tell you that all of my officers in the Reserves have told me that being an officer is terrible in the Reserves. I dont know how this worked but my last CO claimed that he had to pay out of pocket to fly from DC to Charleston to drill with us. He said he lost money overall and was just riding it out to retirement.

I dont know how true that is because I am pretty deep in the not caring stage about that type of thing. I show up, make a briefing, give the briefing, and fill out a report.
I've been doing rescheds for a bit so I was thinking they might just forget about me ... until my LPO called me up and said he wanted to start turning over to me. :psyduck: I told him I had a year left at the most and really don't care about evals/chief/etc but I'd think about it. The minute I get an offer letter from my current company for a permanent position, I'm dropping an IRR-transfer chit and closing this chapter of my life for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Anyone ever apply for transfer to IRR from SELRES?

I'm almost done with school, just got corporate insurance coverage, and am finally ready to make my exit from the Reserves.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've signed and sent off a handful of transfers, what do you want to know?

What do I do? Do I just fill out a special request chit with "RR To Transfer To IRR Effective 1 Oct 15" or something similar? Who do I route it through? I'm guessing my CoC then the NOSC CoC? How long does it take?

I'm a little hesitant to ask people I know. My unit wants me to take over LPO in a few months which makes things really awkward. I told the current LPO that if I got this job that I was hoping for (yay) I was calling it quits but he honestly didnt believe me. Oh well.

Howard Phillips posted:

Was the health insurance worth the one weekend a month? I'm thinking about signing up for that poo poo just for health coverage if not anything else. I think SWOs get a 10k sign on bonus or some poo poo like that too.

The Reserves were ... ok. Not great. Not terrible. Just ok. I ended up getting about 25$ an hour for sitting in a room playing on my cellphone on what would invariably be the least convenient weekend of the month. I never really had to do any substantial work other than giving training, documenting training, and helping people write orders. Mostly I just sat in a room trying to stay awake with absolutely nothing going on whatsoever. We tried to get some training materials but there wasn't any funding for it.

For AT I either went to schools or, for one confusing summer, sat at a picnic table at a shipyard in case any of the union guys wanted me to help them (they didnt).

I paid 205$/month for Tricare Reserve Select family-edition which is like a slightly crappier version of Tricare Standard. It makes sense for a college student or a professional that isn't offered health insurance.

E: I guess I'll mention that my corporate health plan is cheaper, has an absurdly low deductible, and 5$-50$ co-pays depending on the service. I lucked out there. Last week I picked up 1000$ of meds from the CVS next to my house for 5$. Definitely beats driving to the base and arguing with them about how reservists that pay for Tricare DO in fact get prescriptions. Every time I go there I have to argue that and every time they say they'll fill it just this once since I'm making a scene.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 1, 2015

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Ryand pretty much said all of the interesting stuff.

Whenever you're working on energized circuits, there exists the possibility of shorting stuff together because Navy techs are barely trained 18 and 19 year olds for the most part.

When you short stuff together that shouldn't be while also blazing off your tagout, you can generate impressively sized plasma balls.

Unlike the balls that most sailors are familiar with, these plasma balls can quickly turn you into a crispy critter.

Arc flash suits are designed to protect your body from severe crispy critter syndrome.

If FN Timmy shorts his 0.1 ohm wrench across a live 450V bus bar, you'll get an instantaneous power load through the wrench of about 2 megawatts. Most of that will be dissipated as heat. Imagine a generator the size of a school bus sending all of its rated power through a wrench for an instant.

You don't want to be nearby when that happens.

When working with even higher voltages, you'll see even more severe arc flashes. Touching a live 5000 volt system can vaporize that segment of your body. Touching a 13kV system can blow your body apart into small pieces.

You get the idea.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

It's an fz-09.

Honestly though up until shipyards I was fine with the Navy. I woke up, worked, got to bro down, sit in some training and get payed decently.

I'm hoping things go back to the way they were before the yards. I know this is temporary. The navy has loving us down to a science. Right now my early rotation date is January 2017 to go to prototype and I am feeling like trying to do it.

The new coc is trying to send a first class in my division to mast for taking a pic with a sign that says "will suck dick for DD-214". It's pretty funny watching legal tell them it might not be possible. The coc is acting like a bunch of children. It is sad seeing how much they care about trying to get this guy hosed.

If you liked the yards, you'll really love prototype.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I dropped my SELRES to IRR transfer request chit yesterday. I'm wondering how my chain of command is going to react.

No one ever gets out and they certainly don't ask to go IRR. Even the most FTN E3 says that the reserves are the best thing he's got going. :psyduck:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

In a surprising turn of events, I got emails from my chain of command wishing me the best and that if anyone needed anything, they'd send me an email.

I guess I'm in the IRR now?

Kind of anti-climatic considering nothing is ever that easy in the Navy.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I don't really read this thread much anymore since I am a civilian but here I am somehow.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The EM A school I went to would give you a conceptual leg up for your degree, but I'm not sure how significant it would be. I perused some college level EE coursework after I got out and found it to be thoroughly over my head. If I were you I'd aim for whichever rate involves the least headaches so I vote YN

Ehhh.. It would give you a leg up on the first semester maybe. The real benefit would be after graduation in your first job. You'll have a better idea of what your techs are doing in industry and when they're sandbagging your work orders for them to build something for you. That's about it. EE is mainly majoring in math with the occasional discussion of schematics. I was a nuke EM that taught at C school and I found that even nuke EM instructor knowledge didn't carry me much further than the first semester of analog circuit analysis.

PneumonicBook posted:

Has anyone worked with Thomas Edison State College (now University)? I'm about a year out from getting an IT degree from Western Governor's University, but that degree was selected years ago when I just assumed I'd transition to IT. Instead in my current government position to move up I need an ABET certified Engineering degree. TESC has one, and I know they're extremely generous as far as transferring credits goes. Looking at their Electrical Engineering program I think I'd be even closer to completing my Bachelor's than I am now, with the plus of it actually mattering in my career field.

Avoid this school as it will not get you to where you stated you want to get to.

They do not have an electrical engineering program. They have an electrical engineering technology program. The two are completely different degrees for completely different fields.

EET prepares you to be a technician with zero emphasis on engineering. EE prepares you to be an engineer with an extremely heavy emphasis on mathematics and design.

An EET degree usually will not count as an engineering degree for the large majority of positions. Technologists (the term for EET grads) are not allowed to be titled as an engineer where I work.
EET degrees are hands on training programs for techs ... but this is an online program... so there's no hands on part.

What's the point? I have no idea.

If you or anyone else have questions about college, EE, MechE, or AeroE, send me a PM.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

Thanks for the info Ket, I'll see if my org cares that it's not an actual EE, they just keep screaming ABET so

Do they care at all about PE licensure? If so, what state are you in?

The reason I ask is that engineering technology degree holders are explicitly banned from becoming licensed engineers in ~19 states. The remaining states require an additional 0-8 years of engineering apprenticeship for engineering technology degree holders prior to being eligible to apply for a license. (On a related note, that extra time requirement stacks on the existing 4 year requirement to make ET holders extremely non-competitive for apprenticeship jobs in those states as it'll be usually 8+ years before they can sign a drawing). Professional Engineering licensure is a state license with a candidate having to meet the requirements for each state regardless of existing licenses. Comity is not guaranteed.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

No, this is for a government job. Under requirements it normally lists "To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum" or "You have successfully completed a professional engineering degree from an ABET-accredited (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) college or university", which was why I asked. Based on that as long as it's ABET accredited I imagine it wouldn't matter. I have no dreams of being an actual licensed engineer.
I hate going over this everytime I post about it, but again, I'm about to get my bachelor's in any case so I'm never getting another Pell Grant again. I'm specifically wondering about a rubberstamped ABET degree for GS purposes.

TESU/TESC website posted:

The Bachelor of Science in Applied Science and Technology (BSAST) degree in Electrical Technology is designed for electricians and electrical power or machinery workers. The program enables mid-career adults in the electrical industry meet their educational and professional needs while completing a baccalaureate degree. The BSAST degree in Electrical Technology is a 120-credit program.

Is that what you're looking to do? I think it'll get you advancement within a skilled trade.
I would not think it would (nor should) get you a titled engineering position.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Ryand-Smith posted:

Man reflections on navy life now that I am close to the end.

Holy poo poo the nuclear field as a whole is loving hosed and not in the "lol nuclear accident" way, more in the "they demand the impossible, and when people cheat they act shocked, shocked I say" like how the nuke cheating scandal broke what 2 years ago. Let's face it, it was going to come (and that was literally 12 years of cheating).

There are demands that are "hard" and it's understandable, they pay us the big bucks and that's fair, but then there are the impossible things. My command has been amazing and much love to them but the horror stories, the outright fear and climates of literal terror that are out there push people out and make anyone who can get out get out.

It also has the typical navy lifer mentality combined with a borderline cult feeling which is to this day almost like a religion.

Honestly I still don't understand how the program works to this day.

Tl;dr don't make the mistake I did, the program has fundamental long term issues, and the senior leadership is so rapidly disconnected from the new people there is a generation gap which is ironic as senior leadership usually isn't that old.

Now that civilian nuclear is in its death throes, how is the culture on the inside of the Navy nuclear world?

Whenever I was still in, nuclear was looking to start booming and everyone thought they were going to walk into 100k/yr jobs after having only learned the bare basics of nuclear theory and qual card blazing.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Meh, Civilian nuclear is seeing a slight revival. TVA just completed Reactor 2 for Watts Bar, and China is blazing trails with nuclear reactors, Germany is importing a ton of power from France, who is 85% nuclear, and Britain is in talks for new plants.

For what its worth too, the nuclear industry is in a slight panic as a lot of the engineers are starting to retire or die, and they don't have enough students coming out to keep up demand yet.

I guess I should have constrained the question to the US nuclear industry. Every few months sees announcements of another premature plant shutdown it seems. I was one signature away from jumping into that industry but decided against it at the last minute. A ton of my friends have been laid off since then.

Off the top of my head, these plants are shutting down: Kewaunee, VT Yankee, Clinton, Crystal River, SONGs, Fitzpatrick, Ft Calhoun, Pilgrim, probably Ginna soon, probably TMI soon, and I know there are others..

Each one of those employs between 600 and 1200 people. I can't imagine that there's a panic in the US anymore for replacing people since so many people are looking for work.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Howard Phillips posted:

God I hate I don't have to buy another uniform set before getting out in 9 months.

Actually started taking care of my boots cause I don't want to buy another pair before separation.

Also what are the best practices to maximize my time off the ship during my last 6 months because "I'm getting ready to get out?"

Just remember that in 6 months, you're going to sever with most of the people you currently know. You will not be part of "the team" anymore and will fade from memory a lot faster than you might expect. If you're moving after EAOS, you will probably never see more than a handful of these people ever again. It's kind of like what happened when you left your hometown for the Navy.

Keeping that perspective when it comes to "Hey, I know you need to get your life in order for EAOS but could you stick around and help out with ..." type situations will help a lot.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

sweg420blazeit posted:

Sup gents. I'm currently applying for the Navy's NUPOC program. It's not a done deal by any means, I haven't even done interviews yet.

Found this thread through a google search, and I've been reading through its 157 pages for a couple of days now (there's some serious knowledge in here!!!). It's been nice to see the side of the Navy that isn't on a brochure or in a recruiter fairy tale.

If there is one thing you take away from this thread, let it be this:

If junior officer attrition is so high that the Navy has to have programs like NUPOC for a field, that field is probably not very enjoyable.
If the military is throwing near six figure bonuses at someone to stay in a particular field, that field is probably not very enjoyable.

No one outside of the nuclear field has an inkling of what people in the nuclear field do.
If your recruiter is not a nuke, they have almost no idea of what the job entails.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I am invoking the famous KetTarma rant for this. I haven't thought about the Navy in ages so here we go!

sweg420blazeit posted:

I've heard how miserable it would be, I'd be going in with eyes open.

No, you haven't. Until you've had a friend blow their brains out because of how poor our conditions were, you haven't heard of how miserable it is.

You're preparing to sign a contract where the best quality of life you're likely to see is 3 section duty. That's where you work a duty day, work two workdays, then repeat. A duty day is a 24 hour workday. It is extremely common to not be able to sleep during this 24 hour work period. It is common to miss meals. You will not be in comfortable surroundings. You will be soaked with sweat every day. You will be expected to have flawless performance. Mistakes are harshly punished. Miss a signature on one tag out of 200 that you signed at 3am? It's going to hurt your career and impact your personal life. After this 24 hour workday, you will work the next full day. You'll come in the next day and work a full day. After that? Another duty day. One side effect of 3 section duty is you get one full weekend per month. There is no comp time for duty falling on a weekend for nukes. That's what you should plan on your best case scenario to be. If you see 4 section, consider it a blessing. That's all in-port when you would otherwise be spending time with your family.

sweg420blazeit posted:

NUPOC is a last resort, b/c job search is not going well to say the least.

Do you feel you're better off having been a nuke? Whether it be career advancement, "personal growth," etc.

It gives perspective. Any time I am feeling bad about my current job, I think "Well, at least I got to sleep in the past 24 hours" or "at least I'm not crawling through piss-filled bilges trying to hunt down a broken cable at 3am"

If you are thinking "I am in such a poor personal situation that I am willing to be completely miserable for as many years as I am in the Navy" then maybe it's a good idea. You will not be a member of the regular Navy. The nuclear navy is a special program.

If I haven't talked you out of it, I'll answer whatever questions within reason.

E: I guess within the confines of military advancement, I made E-6 at 23 so that's pretty good. I got out of the military with 9 years of solid "electrical tech from the 1960s" experience, 4 years of free college (with a living stipend!) that I used to change careers, and a ton of savings because I reenlisted once.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 12, 2016

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

ded posted:

Is there a chart on washout & suicide rates for nukes?

Washout rates are a ton lower than what they used to be. Most people make it through the training now. Most of the washouts are psychological or alcohol related.

I do not have data on successful suicides.

Anecdotally, when I taught, at least one student in every cycle would attempt it.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Hey, its your departments own drat fault if people can't pee in funnels when they cant get a head break.

Bilge Pee'rs are trash humans who need someone to yell at them until they unfuck themselves.

Some people just wanted to watch the world burn. I'm sure everyone has the same stories as this:

We had people crapping in showers, bags, garbage cans, other peoples linens, on top of equipment, pretty much anywhere. It didnt happen to me but people would poo poo in a bag, duct tape it shut, then send it to the trash compactor so it'd explode on the guy feeding the compactor and spread macerated crap everywhere.

My "welcome to the division" gift was being designated to clean up after the phantom loadcenter pisser. Someone peed on loadcenters, under the electrical safety mats, etc... a new place every day.

Someone peed in our cleaning supplies so when we sprayed Simple Green, it reeked even worse of piss.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

SWOs eat their young

Expanding on this slightly: SWOs have an extraordinarily toxic community. You climb to the top using the knives you put in other people's backs, or so they say.

sweg420blazeit posted:

You guys convinced me. definitely won't be going nuke. still looking for a civvie job but things aren't looking too swell. The ChemE job market is absolute poo poo right now (thanks oil and gas) so entry-level openings are extremely hard to get if you can even find one. 100 applications in, 3 first round interviews, only one of them MIGHT lead to a second interview.

I've always had a huge interest in the navy, so that's why I'm looking into all this so seriously. combo of lifelong interest and a growing sense of desperation

E: Engineering degree pro-tip: DO A loving CO-OP!

Ok, realtalk: Apply to every manufacturing engineer, industrial engineer, process engineer, and whatever else engineer position you see. It doesn't have to be a chem-e titled position. Apply to non-chemE discipline positions. I am a degreed electrical engineer working as a mechanical engineer. It happens. Apply to software engineering positions if you have any idea how to code.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

And even with perks like those you will literally be surrounded by people who are on the brink of clawing at the wall to gtfo of the Navy. Many of whom, on the enlisted side, opted to extend their contract for the boatload of cash that was offered and subsequently regret their decision.

Point of consideration: Even with a 90,000$ reenlistment bonus, the electronics technician rate was unable to pass "critically undermanned" levels many years while I was in.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 14, 2016

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

IratelyBlank posted:

Can anyone elaborate on the engineering duty officer thing being a miserable existence? I'm on track to direct commission in February as EDO in the reserves and from everyone I've talked to (mostly during my interviews when I was asking them questions to get a feel for whether or not this would be a good fit for me), they said they have had a really enjoyable experience? They were also all O5/O6 and reservists so that might contribute to the general positive feelings.

Reservists universally feel much better about the Navy than active duty.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Look at it this way: If you fail to disclose something and it is discovered, you will never hold a clearance.

Even if you're going for a secret clearance, they're going to interview people about you. They'll ask for two references from those people. They'll ask for two more references from those people. So on and so on.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 17, 2016

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

sweg420blazeit posted:

I'm going to be totally honest so I'm not sweating during future clearance investigations. I just hope no one notices my full-back weed leaf tattoo

I'm not sure if you're trolling/joking but you have to fill out a form documenting all of your tattoos. You might want to get that one covered up.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

sweg420blazeit posted:

yeah I was just joking. Sorry, I should have added an /s tag or something. My username isn't doing me any favors lol

It should say something that you having a full back weed tattoo doesn't raise an eyebrow in the Navy thread beyond the paperwork requirements. People in the military do crazy things.

Off the top of my head, I've had people under me:
-Pop for cocaine after doing lines off of a stripper's rear end. Told the captain that he thought it was the only chance he'd ever get to do something like that. Dude was a nerdy shut-in.
-Robbery
-Throw armload of classified material into river prompting divers to recover it
-After dumping armload of blahblah, jumping in and swimming around until picked up by security boat
-Show up drunk at age 19 to their own NJP (like courts martial) after driving in.
-Give a 10 minute long fire-and-brimstone sermon on how gays will burn in hell to a gay E-7 as an E-4 while acting as duty driver.
-Have to be put on "ordered showers" with an E-7 or above signing off witnessing that they were bathing. There was a full checklist.
-Hop out of a running rental car at an airport and abandon it because they were running late
-Numerous UA (AWOL)
-I think 3 different people found living in their car in the base parking lot
-Several weed drug test failures
-A good number of sad pandas

100% of these people were nukes.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

buttplug posted:

As an officer you're expected to be the motherfucker laying down direction for your junior folks. The Navy doesn't exist for you to come "find yourself" [as an officer]. Especially not when you're expected to be leading junior folks who are doing exactly that.

At the senior officer levels, yeah.

At the junior officer levels, your sailors will see you as "the paperwork person" if they see you at all.

The chiefs in the department provide the direction and leadership to the enlisted.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Null Integer posted:

The LT isn't wrong, in shipyard you will do tons of "project management" being the supervisor of evolutions and making sure your division deliverables are on track with the shipyard schedule. It's really closer to making sure your poo poo gets done and telling shipyard when it doesn't so they can fix it for you.

The most miserable people on the boat during shipyard are the nukes, and it was three times worse for the officers. It wasn't the work alone, it wasn't the conditions alone, it wasn't the culture alone. When you combine the hours, nuclear culture, navy BS, and a toxic command(guaranteed in shipyard) is when it gets to be too much for a lot of people.

A lot of my nuke officers lived onboard the ship or barge for weeks at a time because it wasn't worth it to try to drive home and drive back if all you were going to have time to do was sleep for a few hours. If they wanted a full night's rest, they wouldn't go home.

[Ask] me about doing a 4 year carrier nuclear reactor refueling

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Anita Dickinme posted:

So what's the yards like for non-nukers? We're heading there sometime next year if the ship we replace isn't late. I'm not really worried if it's super lovely because I'm just thinking about how I'll actually get to go home every night for a good few years.

It really depends a lot.

I knew plenty of guys that got skate jobs where they basically sat around all day waiting to go home. I knew just as many that spent all day needlegunning into the night. Absolutely do not volunteer to go on a "cable pull" team. It might be the worst thing.

Pro-tip: Be extra careful of pulling apart ventilation ducting. Asbestos is a real risk. It somehow still gets installed even when its not supposed to be.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

hogmartin posted:

A berthing barge would make a pretty nice party boat if you found one cheap and fixed it up right.

Ours had some type of mold growing in the berthing areas. It was like having a mild cold constantly for the entire time we were there.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So copy everything except the stuff that could land me in jail if I copy it! Gotcha!

I know there are leaks, but is that actually really common?

Any particular regs that come up a lot or just know my poo poo inside and out?

I feel like telling you that once I had my chief literally shred my entire transfer package for a hot fill billet in Japan because he didn't want to lose me before ORSE. He told me he'd immediately approved it and would handle routing it for me. By the time I figured it out, the billet was closed. He laughed it off as no big deal.

Trust no one. Copy everything.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Did you punt the exam and drills to show him whose boss?

My chief got removed from his position for poor performance and sent to be the chief of the publications library by the time he told me.

By the time ORSE came around, I had been voluntold to prototype so my attitude was at an all-time low (see: my constant emo posting on here).

I always enjoyed drills so I did my part well for that.

I did have a Level of Knowledge board that ... well... heh.

:chiefsay: : "So PO1 OtherGuy, what job do you do here?"
:buddy: : "I'm in Reactor Department Damage Control"
:chiefsay: :"Ok. Great. PO1 KetTarma, what job do you do here?"
:catstare: :"Nothing. I'm transferring"
:chiefsay: :"Why the hell are you scheduled for a level of knowledge interview if you're about to transfer?"
:catstare: :"Probably to raise the LOK average."
:chiefsay: :"Huh.... No further questions for you then." and the guy spent the next half-hour mercilessly grilling my board partner on a system I was the subject matter expert on. It did not go well.

Needless to say, my chain of command was not happy with pretty much every aspect of how that went down.

There are a few reasons why I never made EMC and that event was probably one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Null Integer posted:

Google is hiring nukes. If the nukes on my old boat only knew I'm sure I would hear "Once I get out, Google is going to hire me!" at least 3 times a week.

The serious answer is that monitoring a nuclear reactor and keeping it cool is very, very similar to monitoring a computer array and keeping it cool.

Nukes have the exact skillset needed to walk around a datacenter and keep the switchgears, AC plants, and instrumentation working.

That being said, nukes were losing favor according to a friend that sits interviews for Google. Many nukes he's interviewed have been unable to pass a technical interview on the topics on their resume which is pretty loltastic. MM2 has "5 years of refrigeration plant experience" on their resume but can't discuss the refrigeration cycle. He's been seeing it enough that he's been turning to the local technical college instead.

• Locked thread