Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I picked up a new bike a while ago: a 2000 Ducati Monster 750.

I picked it up for $700 with apparent electrical problems. PO says it wouldn't start and kept blowing fuses, so I figured the rat's nest of wiring modifications was shorting out somewhere. Another dude that checked it out claimed the regulator was shot, but the three wire regulator apparently require a special tester, so either he had one or didn't know/was bullshitting to try to get the bike cheaper. Either way, I'm gonna unfuck the wiring before buying a new regulator based off of one dude's diagnosis. I'll have to see if my old man owns one of those fancy testers, too.

Best part of the deal was this aftermarket Ohlins shock. It's cosmetically rough in spots but still works great. I'm gonna swap it to my 900.

There seems to be tons of neglect on this bike and poorly-done modifications. Behold.

This battery was completely dry.

The battery tray is originally molded as part of the airbox, so when they put on pod filters they hacked together this thing. The plugs looked nearly perfect, though, so at least the jetting was on. An airbox runs $40 on ebay, I think I'll get one and modify it.

People usually put a 2" hose extension on the filter if they make this mod to the crankcase breather so it doesn't puke oil out. Also note the empty reservoir.

Probably the reason the reservoir is empty, so I'll see if I have to rebuild the master or just replace it. It's only $35 for a used one, so not too big a deal. The shifter side is even better!

I've got two new foot levers ordered.

Dunno how long they decided to ride around with the oil pressure sensor disconnected. The bike sat for a few years and poo poo rusted up a bit.

I think I'll be fine if I clean up the pulleys, but the tensioner bearings need to be replaced. Other than the high mileage, the engine's in good shape and nothing other than the tail chop is irreversible, so I don't think I'll have to put too much money in this bike to get it running good again. The idea is to flip it as I'd probably have to sit on the parts for months before they moved. Alternately, I could keep it and make it a track bike. If I get a sudden pay raise, that might be just what I do, but I'm not counting on it.

As if the 750 isn't already a handfull, my other two bikes don't currently run, either. The 900 died on the freeway and would crank freely but not fire. Spark is weak, and the last time this happened the pickup coil gap was off so I think it might be that again. The other project bike, the TS400, ate part of a lighting coil. I'm gonna tack the loose wire back in place and put it back on and make sure timing is dialed in, then probably repaint it in the summer. Hopefully I get something running next weekend, we've already got cherry blossoms in Seattle.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Why would someone swap out an airbox for pod filters on a 2v Monster? I'm not 100% up on those engine designs, but do pod filters really give you that much of a bump in power to justify putting up with all the other bullshit that comes with them?

Also, for as horrendously lovely as the foot-pegs and pulleys look, the front forks look pretty okay. Do you have any pictures of the entire bike? I'm kinda curious how the chassis held up over 50,000 miles.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I love the shifter.

Ripoff, some times airbox doesn't want to go back on and you get mad. When you get mad you make stupid decisions.

Alternatively, maybe the person was stupid and was just making normal decisions.

Either way, looks like a great project.

edit: said carbs meant airbox

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 1, 2015

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you need to tear into the carbs a lot, pods will help a ton as you have to unbolt the ignition, remove the battery and unclip the coils before removing the airbox and getting the carbs off. However, I've seen zero aftermarket battery trays and the plans I found were a slightly cleaner execution of the sheet metal abortion that took place under that gas tank. I haven't seen anything 3D printed yet and I've toyed with that idea, but after cost of materials I think it'll run about the same as a used airbox. Maybe something to try, but it won't be my first choice.

I'll get some better pictures when I can, the frame seemed fine to me. The paint had some wear, but not bad for 15 years and 50k miles.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 2, 2015

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp, the 'electrical' problem on the M900 ended up being an easy fix. She just ran it out of gas. :downs:

Put a gallon in and had to crank it for a while before it coughed, ran on one cylinder, then on both and ran just fine after that. It blew out white smoke for a little bit, dunno how it got water in there. So now I'm down to two broken bikes!

All the parts for the M750 should be in by next weekend I think, so I'll see what I can knock out then. The TS400 coil hasn't been touched yet, but I hope that's a pretty simple fix.

By the way, this is what the airbox setup on my bike looks like:

It should breathe just as well as pod filters do, but if you need to adjust the jetting on the carbs it's still gonna take you 20 minutes to pull all that other poo poo off.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
This is the shift lever of a Suzuki owner, not a Ducati owner.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Over at ducatimonsterforum.org, a lot of the people who installed pods complained about varied fuel delivery. The general consensus was that the air box creates a much more stable environment to pull the air from.

I'd say that the open air box, like you have on the 900, is the best option. The bikes came jetted a touch lean, so you have to move to a larger jet once you open the box up. You ready checked the plugs...keep an eye on them every so often to make sure, since it is new to you.

The ohlins is a good find...that about covers the price of the bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

And the oxidation of a KTM owner

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

And the oxidation of a KTM owner

What is that supposed to mean?!

literally the worst KTM ever > literally the best DRZ

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dellikose posted:

Over at ducatimonsterforum.org, a lot of the people who installed pods complained about varied fuel delivery. The general consensus was that the air box creates a much more stable environment to pull the air from.

I'd say that the open air box, like you have on the 900, is the best option. The bikes came jetted a touch lean, so you have to move to a larger jet once you open the box up. You ready checked the plugs...keep an eye on them every so often to make sure, since it is new to you.

The ohlins is a good find...that about covers the price of the bike.

I've heard that I-4s have issues with pods because the middle cylinders get their air stolen by the outside cylinders, but didn't think it would be an issue with a twin. I need to pull the carbs anyways and give them a quick cleaning, since it's been sitting for close to three years, but I'll leave the pods on until I notice issues.

The replacement shifter arrived today and the battery should be here by the end of the week. As for the rest of the parts, I'm not sure. I think Italy send them over on a gondola. Ducati Omaha said 5-10 days, so we'll see. At least it's not August, the whole loving country takes their vacation that month apparently.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

I've heard that I-4s have issues with pods because the middle cylinders get their air stolen by the outside cylinders, but didn't think it would be an issue with a twin. I need to pull the carbs anyways and give them a quick cleaning, since it's been sitting for close to three years, but I'll leave the pods on until I notice issues.

The replacement shifter arrived today and the battery should be here by the end of the week. As for the rest of the parts, I'm not sure. I think Italy send them over on a gondola. Ducati Omaha said 5-10 days, so we'll see. At least it's not August, the whole loving country takes their vacation that month apparently.

It's an issue because there's really inconsistent windflow. Jetting is affected by the movement of air across the top of the filters, how much pressure, sidewinds, etc, and when you've got the throttle bodies mostly open to the air, weird airflow can modify the ideal jetting. The solution is an airbox. Which is why the open filter design on your 900 is a good compromise - doesn't restrict flow much, but allows it to breath a little easier/sound cooler.

Now, there's a whole pile more bullshit about airbox volume, air pulse frequencies, blah blah blah, but basically the outcome is that the 1198 engines that people are putting in the 916/999 chassis lose power if you don't put an airbox around them to try and make the swap easier.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, Z3n... are you doing it?

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

Z3n posted:

Good stuff

This.

Check out Brad's reports on 2v Ducatis with different modifications. I believe that one of the best (and cheapest) mods is an open air box with a partially cored (one of three baffles removed) exhaust.

http://www.bikeboy.org/performance.html#2v

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

Oh, Z3n... are you doing it?

As soon as I can get the money together to find a trashed bike with the 1198 in it. :)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
When you swap over the ohlins you should make sure it has the proper spring for your other bike and have it rebuilt as well.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

When I saw it I decided I wanted to put one like it on my DRZ.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ChewedFood posted:

What is that supposed to mean?!

literally the worst KTM ever > literally the best DRZ

I guess you missed that pic of the 2014 ktm with the rusted fork legs, but by all means, keep getting really mad about both ktm's and especially drz's in this thread where no one even mentioned drz's.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
KTM
Ready To Rust!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

n8r posted:

When you swap over the ohlins you should make sure it has the proper spring for your other bike and have it rebuilt as well.

Rebuild might be nice and I'll look into the spring, but the 900 is only 10 lbs heavier than the 750 so that might be ok as well.

Meh, I'll just ebay an airbox then. I doubt they're getting grabbed up like shifter levers do so I can probably get one of the 'make an offer' ones for pretty cheap. Solves the battery mounting issue, too.

Battery arrived today, so that's filled up and charging. If I can clean the carbs, pop the battery in and start it up no problem I'm gonna laugh my head off.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I guess you missed that pic of the 2014 ktm with the rusted fork legs, but by all means, keep getting really mad about both ktm's and especially drz's in this thread where no one even mentioned drz's.

Whoops. Yeah totally inappropriate thread for that. I've been wondering where I sperged out on you about DRZs. I really just see you as this guy at work that talks crap about me and my friend's KTMs all the time and we let him come out and ride trails with us on his DRZ and he was the slowest ever. So in the future I'll try to remember you're jimsillyballs and not "weeno".

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

I doubt they're getting grabbed up like shifter levers do

Tell me about finding a decent shift lever...

I've heard that getting a GP shifter (reverse order, 1 up and 4? down) is pretty great once you get use to it, plus you eliminate the linkage. Ebay has them for around $40.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Already picked up both foot levers, bargained both sellers down to about $60 total. Yeah eBay levers would be cheaper, but you get what you pay for with chinesium.

Also now I have about two cups of sulfuric acid left over from the battery, maybe I should make a bitchin' volcano with lye or whatever else is it's opposite on the pH scale.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 12, 2015

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
On the ts400: Resistance on the pulser coil is supposed to be about 75 ohms, but testing at the plug end gives me 200+. Between that and the banged up coils I might just replace the whole thing. $60 on eBay for a used but tested one. :sigh:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Crikey gently caress, how did I miss this thread? That whole battery clamp/tray setup is just :froggonk:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got busy with car maintenance, other projects and a breakup, but the parts arrived safe and sound from that Italian gondola and I finally got a chance to make some progress on the 750.

But first I just wanna bitch about the P.O.

"Pod filters are so sick, not gonna put any oil on them though because I'm a clueless dick"

"Oil pressure sensor? Who needs that?"

"Turn signals are for fags, might as well just throw that whole box out"

Whatever the gently caress this hackjob is.

Anyways, I gave it a quick degreasing and wash before blasting the water off with the air compressor, swapped out those smashed foot levers(and broke off a bolt in the process :doh: ), removed that ghetto-rear end battery tray, rusty chain, and rusty belt idler bearings, replaced the cracked oil sight glass, and swapped in the oil pressure sensor. The belt pulleys have a bit of surface rust, I don't know if they'll be alright after a wire brushing or if they need to be replaced. Ducati uses a special snowflake four-divot nut on all the pulleys so I gotta order that tool. Also need to order that battery box and air box. Before I started today I thought I might just clean up the look of the DIY one, but gently caress that cobbled together piece of poo poo, it belongs in the recycling bin.

I ordered a used-but-good condition stator for the TS400, when that gets here next week I'll put it on, get the timing dialed and hopefully that bike'll be ripping wheelies up and down the street by next Sunday.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RE: the cambelt pulleys, as long as the bearings feel smooth and don't have any play they'll be fine. I'd sand them back with fine grain sand-paper instead of wire brushing them though, just to be extra sure they won't scuff the belt.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Rode the bike into work because the forecast said it was gonna be damp in the morning but sunny and 75. Left work a little early and rode up and down the fun section of Mountain Highway by La Grande in the awesome weather, ate an elk burger then rode home only to find I blew out a fork seal. :mad:

Made a little progress on the 750. The tool for removing the pulley nuts arrived a little while ago, so the pulleys are sanded, all bearings replaced and the rubber caps surrounding the camshaft pulleys are new, replacing the old cracked ones. New belts, too.

Also discovered a new problem. The brake disc has probably been on the bike since it was new in 2000, because it's dished what feels like nearly 2mm. The rear feels pretty badly grooved as well.

The valves are all slightly loose on the closing shims, so I get to have fun with that as well. Carbs got pulled off and a used airbox arrived. It still has the snorkels on, dunno if I'll bother modifying it yet or let the next guy worry about it. Rear brake master cylinder seems rebuildable, so I ordered a kit for that. The fork seals are looking cracked as well, so I guess I might as well order two pairs.

Also, living alone as a single guy is pretty nice. I can't imagine the amount of bitching and moaning this would create if I was still dating my ex:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slim Pickens posted:

Also, living alone as a single guy is pretty nice. I can't imagine the amount of bitching and moaning this would create if I was still dating my ex:

I'm married and have disassembled a set of carbs on top of some cardboard laid on the living room floor a couple weeks back and had my wife disassemble and clean one of the four carbs and reassemble it after watching me do the first couple.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The new girl I'm dating says I should work on bike stuff around her and claims the smell of gasoline and carb cleaner won't bother her. That'll be a major plus if it turns out to be true.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Keeper.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Nice to see the old duc getting freshened up. :cheers:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
New ebc brake rotor, oil filter, fuel filter and fork seals ordered. Still got a bit of work to do on this bike before I try to turn it over, hopefully done within two weeks, though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

Rode the bike into work because the forecast said it was gonna be damp in the morning but sunny and 75. Left work a little early and rode up and down the fun section of Mountain Highway by La Grande in the awesome weather, ate an elk burger then rode home only to find I blew out a fork seal. :mad:

Made a little progress on the 750. The tool for removing the pulley nuts arrived a little while ago, so the pulleys are sanded, all bearings replaced and the rubber caps surrounding the camshaft pulleys are new, replacing the old cracked ones. New belts, too.

Also discovered a new problem. The brake disc has probably been on the bike since it was new in 2000, because it's dished what feels like nearly 2mm. The rear feels pretty badly grooved as well.

The valves are all slightly loose on the closing shims, so I get to have fun with that as well. Carbs got pulled off and a used airbox arrived. It still has the snorkels on, dunno if I'll bother modifying it yet or let the next guy worry about it. Rear brake master cylinder seems rebuildable, so I ordered a kit for that. The fork seals are looking cracked as well, so I guess I might as well order two pairs.

Good stuff. Use your kitchen counter next time though, if you have a stainless one. It's the perfect work surface!*

*: plug the drain first

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
drat. 1 hour of Pickens moto work = 1 month of Hushman moto work. Take it easy, you're making us look like civil servants.

Good stuff, unedited vid pls when you hit the button. No adrenaline rush quite like resurrecting a dead/abused bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The 999 ran again today, I hope that is good tidings for yours as well.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A handful of parts arrived today:

Another package is waiting for me at the post office with the valve shim kit in it, but I probably won't be able to get it until Saturday morning. I think tonight I'm gonna rebuild the rear brake master cylinder using this method: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855294

Front stand will get here next week, so I won't have to hang my bikes from trees anymore to work on the tires.

Edit: also just added up the new price of parts, this is now a $1700 Ducati as long as my labor is considered worthless and you don't count tools I bought or extra parts I already had on hand.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 1, 2015

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
What valve shim kit did you go with?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I got a Moto Guzzi for free once. Ended up being one of the more expensive bikes I've owned. Just throwing that out there.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

I got a Moto Guzzi for free once. Ended up being one of the more expensive bikes I've owned. Just throwing that out there.

I remember that. Did you end up parting it out or did it eventually run at one point or another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dellikose posted:

What valve shim kit did you go with?

My dad is sending me his so I can do the adjustments, so I'm not sure. They're pretty expensive, so I'm glad he's letting me borrow it.

Totally expected it to run up to at least $1500 after it was all said and done, The things like brake discs and idler bearings weren't anticipated, though. I mean, technically I could leave them on and let the next guy worry about it, but I'd rather not die test riding it, or getting friends killed if they ride it.

• Locked thread