Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Starter relay arrived!

Now in case anyone's wondering how to hook up a Yamaha starter relay to a Ducati, this is how I ended up doing it on my 900 so I just did the same thing on the 750.

I made a video of the first start attempt, but it was really anticlimactic. The relay clicks but the starter doesn't crank. I checked the relay with a multimeter and it seemed to be sticking at first, but after hitting the start switch a couple times I got continuity through the relay while the start button was depressed. I'm gonna try charging the battery fully and try it again, if it still doesn't work, I guess I gotta pull that starter off. It's a straight shot from the battery to the relay to the starter, so I don't know where else my problem would be.

Since I couldn't make the progress on it that I wanted I just went and put in new brake pads. The old ones were looking pretty nasty. Hopefully the bike runs after not too much more fiddling and this isn't all just polishing brass on the titanic.

Bonus CBX from the last Backfire bike meet. There were two of these at the event, I wish they would've had a drag race against each other.

Now to go out and get a plate and tabs for the 750. Didn't want to waste the money when I got it titled because I knew it would sit for a couple months, best case scenario.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
I know ca cycleworks candy when I see it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Been a while since an update. Not a whole lot of progress on the 750 or the TS400, just been riding the 900 around on the olympic peninsula(gonna post photos and maybe video later in the pictures thread). I looked into rebuilding the coils on the TS400 myself, but research seems to indicate that it's not worth the hassle. I'll just send it off to a pro and let them handle it, same with the shock.

The old one was broken in half and one popped up on ebay for $20, so I snagged it.

Ducati was nice enough to make their swingarm axle hollow, so if you need to pull the shock off you just run a 3/8" rod through it and put it on jack stands(that'll hopefully stay level for the next couple weeks)

Pulled off and ready to ship. I'm thinking just send it to RaceTech, anyone have any recommendations for shock rebuilders?

I don't know if it's just lovely paint from ducati or if the PO rattlecanned a replacement side cover, but this poo poo dissolved on contact with gasoline. :argh:

Not much else going on, I'll try working on the electronics later this weekend hopefully?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's definitely rattle canned and I'd send it to GP - they're local to you, I think. Also worth considering conflict, or calling EDR, or Ben at touratech to see what he recommends.

If you were in the bay id say use superplush, but you've got plenty of good options up there :)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll give GP and Konflict a call in the morning.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dropped the shock off at GP today, a respring and a rebuild will take a week and a half and $400. More than I was hoping it would be, should be worth it though I hope. The current shock is under sprung and has too much sag, so I'm hoping it's gonna be a night and day difference.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I don't get the 750 running in time to unload it for close to what I'm asking, I might consider holding on to it, stripping the tank to bare metal and putting dual sport tires on, then riding around as a warboy come halloween. Not sure if this is a good idea or not, I think I need to go re-rewatch mad max to confirm that it is.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

If I don't get the 750 running in time to unload it for close to what I'm asking, I might consider holding on to it, stripping the tank to bare metal and putting dual sport tires on, then riding around as a warboy come halloween. Not sure if this is a good idea or not, I think I need to go re-rewatch mad max to confirm that it is.

This is a good idea.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

I am in support of any plan that involves re-watching Mad Max.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I saw a monster last year with a yz front end and some form of long(er) travel rear.

You know what must be done.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I've had good luck with the two part aerosol clear rattle cans over bare steel on bicycle frames. You should keep it that way for as long as possible.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
To repeat it here, just picked up the steal of the year today. 2007 Husqvarna SM610 with 6,000 miles, 21" excel rim, 4.5 gallon desert tank, Leo Vince exhaust and seatconcepts seat. It also came with original parts, work receipts and some other extras like hand guards, a super nice skid plate and axle sliders.

$1400 after taxes and tabs. Sooooo god drat lucky, and so glad that rich dudes with 20 bike stables occasionally sell off their problematic bikes for close to nothing. It's not without its problems though.

Gotta figure that out, and the cam chain is noisy and might need replacement soon. Also needs a new rear left blinker, and possibly a new battery and chain. Pretty minor considering what I got, though.

Also picked up the rear shock for the monster 900, so I gotta swap that on and put the old one on the 750 at some point. I've got too many bikes now, gotta get that 750 going soon and sold so I can start putting money into fun bits on the 610.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Husky 610: I have unicorn blood and new filters on the way as well as some water wetter for replacing the coolant. As long as I do a full flush, that should work fine, right?

Bike came with Cycra Probend handguards, but the barend mounting hardware was stripped by the owner for another bike. I've got some barends that I'll just steal the hardware from. The bike also came with a ton of other parts. Leo Vince exhaust and the original exhaust and heat shields, A 5 gallon IMS tank mounted and the original, skid plate from uptite husky, a quick twist throttle tube, and a jet kit(for the new exhaust I'm guessing). So I guess my goals for this bike are to change the oil and coolant, new chain if this one's too tight(it has surface rust but seems to roll fine), get the handguards back on and replace the turn signals. I'll also probably look at getting warp9 wheels and return it to sumo form but have a set of offroad wheels and tires, even though having a 17" rear is kinda strange. Any big reason to go for the typical 18" rear? The PO seemed to have an easy enough time finding matching tires for the combo.

edit: oh, maybe a tail tidy too. Rear fender is looking kinda rough.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 22, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Have you checked how deployed the CCT is yet?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nope, gonna do that too. According to one of the receipts in the pile of stuff I got with the bike, it looks like he had the cam chain and reed valve replaced somewhere around 3000 miles.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Good: got the ohlins shock back and put it on this evening. Sitting at least an inch higher now, so I'll have to adjust the sag.

The Bad: Dropped the bike off my ghetto-rear end swingarm pivot stand. I think this'll buff out, though, it's just fence paint.

The Ugly: I don't like touching screens with my greasy fingers so I just printed out the Husky 610 manual.

All 496 pages of it.

Okay, it's double-sided and I took out all the pages in languages I didn't understand. There's no english-only version, they just do every sub-section in five languages, often all on the same page.

Oil arrived, filters, bike stand, turn signals and handguard stuff on the way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It really, really bugs me that the shock reservoir is held on with hose clamps instead of some sort of purpose-made bracket with little rubber pad things.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's little rubber bumpers like this, but yeah, bare metal on paint bugs me a bit too. Next time I'm at a hardware store I'm gonna grab some shrink tube to slip over the clamps.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good man.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally got the oil changed on the SM610. I have no idea why, maybe because he felt like changing the oil all the time anyways, but the god drat PO pulled all the filters and oil screens out of the bike. :catstare:

put an oil filter in, but didn't have time to put the oil bag screens back in. Sometime next week I'll lay baby down for a nap and pop them back in.

I joked about calling this stuff unicorn blood, didn't expect it to actually be red, though.

Also put new tail turn signals on while I waited for the battery to charge a little. Matching fronts and an electronic flasher arrive next week.

Edit: Oh yeah, air filter was loving filthy, but the bolts holding the cover on just kept spinning in place. dunno how the hell I'm supposed to get those off.

VVV :ohdear:

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 27, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slim Pickens posted:

Finally got the oil changed on the SM610. I have no idea why, maybe because he felt like changing the oil all the time anyways, but the god drat PO pulled all the filters and oil screens out of the bike. :catstare:

Good show everyone, see you all in the "so my engine blew up" thread

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Haha, that's sketchy as gently caress.

Awesome.

As your lawyer; I recommend you wheelie this thing until the crank explodes

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, this was also on the drain plug when I changed the oil. Hopefully it's ooonly bits of cam chain and reed valve retainer! :suicide:

I guess if it grenades, buying a used engine is still cheaper than the typical craigslist sm610. I'm not riding or starting it until I get those screens back in, might get to the cam chain and tensioner as well, or at least see if the cam bearings are hosed from oil starvation or whatever the gently caress is going on here.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's not great but it's also not crazy, considering you have no filter medium so a pile of stuff that'd usually get caught in the filter is just ending up on the magnet. I say, re-add filters, do a compression test, and see what happens. I bet you're ok. Also definitely check the cam chain before running it more.

(note: i am an optimist)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks more like normal gearbox shavings to me.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There were some bigger flakes in there, which you can see in the SUPER ENHANCED version I didn't wanna try to edit and post from my phone.

Already ordered a buttload of gaskets, cam chain, reed valve and a new cam chain tensioner, so if the tensioner looks loose I'll just do the whole thing at once, change the oil in a couple hundred miles and if it hasn't already blown up, see what the oil looks like.

Still searching for sumo wheels. I've found one pair that might work on SMJ.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 1, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok those flakes, especially the ones at 9 and 3 o'clock are very alarming.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

lol you pulled a koopa out of your engine

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kind of a PO thing to do, but it works. v:v:v I have real plugs on the way, so it'll get a proper wiring job soonish.

Yeah, the crooked one bugs me too.

Finally got a chance to swap a real shock with the temporary one, so that's good to go. Still need to do something about the starter.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Apparently oil filters aren't the only thing the PO cheaped out on.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No, that's a temporary thing I did with the new electronic relay so I could test the LED signals.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

lohl

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

Finally got a chance to swap a real shock with the temporary one, so that's good to go. Still need to do something about the starter.

:eyepop: Holy gently caress how much did that bling cost???

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not too expensive, but it sure makes the ride feel wooden! :downsrim:

Aside from making really predictable jokes, I cleaned up the wiring.

Also removed the airbox and got most of the screws out, one keeps spinning in place, though, but I can still get the air filter out so :shrug:

cleaned the filter and put the original tank back on it. No good reason other than form over function, and I don't see myself trusting this thing for long trips yet anyways.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In four-wheel news, this fuckin' happened.

I went into the hospital for a blood draw as part of a physical, come out 15 minutes later and find this. An old guy in a bro-trucked F150 was trying to park or something and did all this damage with just a rear tire. Dude left a note and his insurance is gonna pay for it at least. I'll get it fully repaired and I'll have a paid-for rental car while it's in the shop, so that's nice.

As for the bikes, the chain and sprocket on the 900 are looking worn, and it's currently running on the stock 15/39 setup. Gonna try 15/41 with a new DID chain and see how I like it.

Also, do you guys think plastidip would stick alright to this hose? That ugly burnt part holds just fine, it just looks pretty ugly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can plastidip flex without peeling/bubbling? It's a shame that wasn't addressed when the shock was in bits because you could've slipped a piece of brake line sheath over it.

(also that's what you get for driving a volvo)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
t:mad:

Finally got parts for the SM610, so I did a little work on the bike.

Checked the CCT, six clicks out and within spec, so I'm not gonna worry about it yet.

Laid baby down so I could get the oil screens back in.

Turns out the PO got heavyhanded tightening the screen cap and stripped out one of the threads, and tried to use gasket maker to keep the screw in place instead. Maybe that's why the screens and filter were left out. I just retapped it for a 6mm thread.

Also mounted a brand new chain, cleaned off the greasy engine and replaced the too-big washer on one of the drain plugs with the proper-sized washer, but I ran out of daylight before I could get it fully reassembled and started again. Hopefully the PO was just an incompetent mechanic and didn't do any damage before giving up on the bike, and I got a really sweet trouble-free deal.

Edit: also, this was in the bag of extra stuff the PO decided to leave off for some reason, but I'm not sure where it would go. Any ideas?

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 15, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Looks like a reducer for an oil line or brake line? That being said I have no idea where it might go on that bike.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I've seen people use those to "fix" stripped drain plugs. So why does the 610 have a reed valve by the cam chain? Does oil weep through and mist the chain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Who does poo poo like that to a new Husky? That's like 1982 Suzuki owner poo poo.

• Locked thread