Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Their metal was more solid than that by 1982.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Who does poo poo like that to a new Husky? That's like 1982 Suzuki owner poo poo.

I don't need a mechanic, I can do all this poo poo myself.

I'm not in over my head, I know what I'm doing, stop pestering me.

gently caress it I'm selling this stupid unreliable piece of poo poo.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Considering what I got it for, that's probably dead on. The cam chain also makes a lot of noise, so he probably thought it needed replacing again and got fed up with it. Also, the "change oil" and "regular service" lights were also on and look like some kind of check engine light if you're not familiar with the bike, so that might've also triggered the "gently caress it, sell it" response . :lol:

Got things put back together and took a ride around town, it still runs like a champ.

Discovered a few minor issues, though. I discovered why people pay $100 for a billet screw-on cap.

Also, the tires might be a tad old.

The plate light isn't wired up to anything, either, so I gotta sort that out at some point. Gonna take it out for a spin on Saturday on some forest service roads and see how it does. I also need to check and probably remove the M750's starter. The sooner I sell that thing, the sooner I get sumo wheels for the SM610.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 17, 2015

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Decent progress this weekend. Put the new sprockets and chain on the M900, but haven't had a chance to test ride it yet. The SM610 got the valves checked and the coolant drained, lazily flushed and replaced. Both those job revealed more PO fuckery! While the radiator and main system were filled with blue liquid (either the original spec stuff or engine ice, dunno), the overflow tank was filled with flourescent green liquid. He also used gasket maker on the valve covers and slopped it around enough to get it on the tappet counternut and valve spring retainer. The valves were also all pretty drat loose, like at least 3 times more clearance than spec. Thankfully none of it was stupid enough to be expensive. As far as dumbass POs go, I feel like I've gotten off easy so far.

Also, fixed his wack-rear end wiring job a little bit. Before everything was ziptied on the underside of the tail where any offroading would result in it getting splashed with mud and crap. I just shoved everything in here instead.

No idea why this splice job exists. It was bundled in electric tape, so I just said gently caress it for now and rewrapped the whole thing.

Battery was completely flat, so thankfully that and a brand new rear tire are on the way this week. The rear disc brake is also, uh, a bit too free-floating for comfort. I can hear the thing rattling as I ride. I'll probably want a new one of those as well. :sigh:

Bonus photo, because the safeway I stopped at made a nice little motorcycle spot at the front. I don't know if it was intentional, but it was :aww:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

No idea why this splice job exists. It was bundled in electric tape, so I just said gently caress it for now and rewrapped the whole thing.

At least the fucker didn't use speaker wire.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Teeny update: got a new battery that's half the size of the old one. What to do?

Ok ok, so I followed some advice on SMJ. The new battery works great, plenty of cranking amps. It also weighs a lot less.

I've got a waterproof plug on the way to fix that tail light wiring clusterfuck. I think I traced the oil leak down to the valve cover gasket. I hope it wasn't more handywork from the same master mechanic that did the tail light, oil filters and valve gaps, given his track record the cam chain's probably off a tooth.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's adorable. My chinese scooter literally has a larger battery than that.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's the same battery as the wr450, and I'm only cranking, like, 125 more cc's than that. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

It's the same battery as the wr450, and I'm only cranking, like, 125 more cc's than that. :v:

And when you factor in the lost compression from the unfiltered oil raping the bores it probably works out the same :smugdog:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

That's adorable. My chinese scooter literally has a larger battery than that.

so does a drz.

I hope you're the type to not forget your lights on, or end up in a finicky might start might not start situation. Push starting a bike suuuuuuuuucks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

so does a drz.

I hope you're the type to not forget your lights on, or end up in a finicky might start might not start situation. Push starting a bike suuuuuuuuucks.

:shepicide: wheeling a bike around a parking lot in 90 degree heat, with a bad back.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ask me about running out of petrol in the middle of summer about 400m downhill from the nearest offramp, pushing like a loving triathlete to the petrol station then discovering I had left my wallet at home because it was meant to be a ten minute test ride to see if I fixed it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Ask me about running out of petrol in the middle of summer about 400m downhill from the nearest offramp, pushing like a loving triathlete to the petrol station then discovering I had left my wallet at home because it was meant to be a ten minute test ride to see if I fixed it.

Seems like the sort of thing where you can just ask them for a half gallon and leave your phone as collateral. Wait, don't you live in NZ? Surely everyone there just knows who you are - "Aunt Claire, lend me a half liter you know I'm good for it."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Seems like the sort of thing where you can just ask them for a half gallon and leave your phone as collateral. Wait, don't you live in NZ? Surely everyone there just knows who you are - "Aunt Claire, lend me a half liter you know I'm good for it."

I wish. There happened to be a car salesman from the holden dealership filling up a car there and I talked him into throwing five bucks in my bike using my dealer tech cred :cool:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Put a new rear tire on, pinched the tube and had to run out and get a new one (I should know better by now), got it balanced and back on the bike, replaced the temp tag with the new plate, gashed my arm open while dropping the bike trying to take it off the stand, then rode to capitol hill and almost ate poo poo because I forgot the tire is still brand new and slick, especially while cornering. Hopefully those people at the corner just thought I stepped it out on purpose. :shepface:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fell into a blackberry bush trying to get to the Boeing field mx track, rode to the pass and got caught in the rain on the way home. It was a pretty good day.

The valve cover leaks like crazy at highway speed, my boot was coated in oil. I gotta redo that gasket sometime this week.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slim Pickens posted:

Fixed! Might be a little overkill, but it was $6 for five of these, so :shrug:

Also put in a bid on some later-model husky sumo wheels, so I might be sumo'd out here sometime next week.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Where did you buy those connectors?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Fixed! Might be a little overkill, but it was $6 for five of these, so :shrug:

Also put in a bid on some later-model husky sumo wheels, so I might be sumo'd out here sometime next week.

Your doing gods work.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

Where did you buy those connectors?

Amazon, it was some Chinese company with the typical 2 month shipping estimate, but $6 with free shipping is pretty enticing. It also only took a couple weeks (which usually happens)

Edit: here's the amazon page if you're especially lazy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C4Q0CJ2/ref=ya_aw_oh_pii

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 2, 2015

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bought some eBay sumo wheels with tires, sprocket and discs that'll arrive here on Friday. :getin:

So a question: how much do I need to swap over if I wanna be cheap? I think rear sprocket is a minimum, but will different brake discs with the same pads be a bad idea for bedding reasons?

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 4, 2015

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I reuse pads between my dirt set and rotor and 320mm SM set. Fuckit. Stops plenty well. Just be mean as poo poo to it when you go out on SM wheels the first time out.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Friday finally arrived!

Not sure what model they came off of exactly, but the nice thing about Italian-run Husqvarna was that they used the same hub and wheel combo across several different bikes.

I static balanced them as well. The valve stem on the rear is apparently made of lead. These are the weights that came on it, but only had to remove one 5 gram weight.

Now while the hubs were identical, basically nothing else was. The front disc is the same diameter but different offset, and the rear disc was probably a centimeter larger. I think the rear spacers might be different as well, as it's rotating pretty tightly right now.

Lost all my daylight before I could get things working properly, but I went and snapped a lovely night shot anyways.

SO HYPE

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Slim Pickens posted:

Friday finally arrived!

Not sure what model they came off of exactly, but the nice thing about Italian-run Husqvarna was that they used the same hub and wheel combo across several different bikes.

I static balanced them as well. The valve stem on the rear is apparently made of lead. These are the weights that came on it, but only had to remove one 5 gram weight.

Now while the hubs were identical, basically nothing else was. The front disc is the same diameter but different offset, and the rear disc was probably a centimeter larger. I think the rear spacers might be different as well, as it's rotating pretty tightly right now.

Lost all my daylight before I could get things working properly, but I went and snapped a lovely night shot anyways.

SO HYPE

Looks pretty boss

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Since I had to swap front discs, it only makes sense that every single bolt on the 17" front used red loctite and their 5mm allen heads stripped out like they were made of cheese. :shepicide:

Got to drill every one of those bastards out. I think I either need new screws, or I need a super tight allen wrench, because I can't even torque the bolts to the manual spec before they try to strip again. Blue loctite should keep them in place though, I hope.

Oil still leaks from the valve cover gasket pretty bad at high rpm, so I hope high temp RTV over top will fix it until I need to do the timing chain again.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bike update: This thing loving owns.

The RTV patch job is holding, so that's good. I guess I'll see where the bike stands at the next oil change!

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 11, 2015

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Top Gun, Flight of the Intrude and a sweet sumo. :awesome:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I love the colors and design of that sumo so much. Your bike is incredible.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did some work on the 750 finally. I wanted to pull the starter and see if that was the issue, which requires pulling the left side case just to get to two bolts.

It was worth the effort at least, because it was definitely a starter issue. positive lead was completely disconnected and all those particles fell out when I opened it up.

Looks pretty bad on the other side, too.

A washer that was apparently rattling around inside.

Looks like another 90 bucks on a starter, but then that should be the last thing before it turns over.

In other bike news, the 900 got a slight carb adjustment, and the leaky rear end SM610 is getting fancy valve inspection cover gaskets, hylomar on either side and copper washers under each bolt. It's what George at Uptite Husky says to do, and he's apparently the go-to guy on this stuff, so I'll take his word for it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren:IT RUNS:siren:

That used starter showed up, but when I tried to spin it, it was gritty and catching something. God dammit. Opened it up and sure enough, my 'working' starter had a broken brush in it. Sent an e-mail to the supplier who told me they'd send a new one asap. That arrived last week and worked as promised, so I put it in the bike last saturday and finally got a chance to grab some gas and try starting it today. Before that I checked for spark(good) and compression (120 in the front, 138 in the back). Then I poured gas in, got the camera rolling, hit the starter and...nothing.

I heard some air escaping during cranking so I checked near the intake.

Last I checked vacuum-powered fuel pumps tend to work best when they can actually create a vacuum. Replaced that with something more airtight, cranked it over with some choke and it started up in only a few seconds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JzEQeaq8K8

Still doesn't have any lights because it keeps blowing those fuses, the rear tire has a slow air leak, and it's ugly as hell. No problem though, I can have this thing ready just in time for the end of riding season! :v:

Edit: Oh yeah, also needs the airbox cover opened up I think. Throttle response was kinda sluggish, so those holes without the snorkels aren't enough it seems. It also needs mirrors because these barends are apparently made out of the thinnest gauge pipe they could find so the usual inserts don't fit. Needs a plastic plug or something, I dunno.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 15, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I laughed pretty hard at the "What?".

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Long time between updates, I've been neglecting the bikes a bit too much. So now only one out of four runs. :downs:

The sm610 only has a compression of 90, it should be at least 112(8 bar) so I dunno of valves are tight, auto decomp is stuck, or I managed to gently caress my engine up by leaving water and water wetter in it while temps dipped a little below freezing for a couple days. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Probably valves - freezing bad would completely kill the compression, likely, auto decomp stuck should kill most compression. Could also be worn out rings. Or if it's been sitting for awhile, could be crap buildup on the cylinder walls. Dribble some oil down the spark plug hole, if it goes up, it's rings or cylinder wall grime.

But I'm lazy so I'd go out, run it hard for a bit, and check the valves after that. I'd also verify the cam timing while I was in there.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's not starting up at all for me, otherwise I would've given it a half can of seafoam and an Italian tune-up. I'll give the oil a shot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That compression isn't low enough that it shouldn't start unless something else is wrong. Check all the basics again?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good spark, new gas, and I can smell gas in the exhaust while it's cranking over :shrug: I'll look it over again more closely, though.

While I was waiting on old gas to drain, I put some 'new' pegs on.

Also got a bunch of parts for the stator on the TS400. Still need the pulser coil, but every dickhead on ebay wants too much for one so I get to wait it out for a minute.

Also moved them all into a new home. This is from their first night in the garage, and I thought it looked cool.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got all three bikes running again. They just needed fresh gas and some cursing to get them running again. The SM610 got a bit more bling.

I also went ahead and modified the airbox cover on the M750. My girlfriend and I picked up a dremel as a we gift using some amazon giftcards we got during christmas, and that thing with a routing bit made things a breeze.

I also managed to slop more gas on the lovely side cover paintjob and gently caress up the finish even more. At this point, I'm about to go full Mad Max on this bike.

Both bikes made a bit of white smoke on startup, but that seems to happen when they've been sitting for too long.

Future plans are to get the lights working on the M750 as well as adjust the carbs a bit. It seems to be running lean as throttle response sucks without the choke partially on. The SM610 might be good for now, I'll have to assess how bad the valve coverengine hat oil leak is. In the future when it gets new tires, I'll also attempt a tubeless setup. I'm gonna rebuild the coil setup on the TS400, then try to repaint it to something cooler than "honda civic silver" and petition for a full title now that three years have passed. Once that's done, hopefully I can sell it so some old dude, as well as sell the M750, and free up room and money for another bike :getin:

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 18, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Am I totally misinformed or is the white smoke water vapor burning off?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, a bit at startup isn't a big deal. If it looks like this for more than a minute, it's probably an issue.

(A buddy's bike I was gonna winterize)

In other news, the urge to Mad Max that bike isn't going away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good day with the dual sport wheels on.

Did some single track but chickened out because I was by myself on a heavy bike with a rear tire that might as well be a slick when it's in the mud. I need a better knobby on this wheel.

Had a bunch of fun on the quasi-legal mx track near my place, though. There were puddles and ruts, but clearing tabletops is something I've missed. You also might've noticed the mx fender on the front. Before, the front wheel rubbed the sm fender pretty bad when the suspension compressed off of jumps. This fender didn't touch once.

Unfortunately, the boots I've had for 12 years are trash now. The plastic ripped out on both sides, and the infamous husky exhaust melted through part of the left boot.

Also hosed up my brand new pants. Klim ain't cheap, but at least it's just the bottom of the cuff.

At least the sumo bling finally came in. Sliders front and back that have been on backorder since October or something.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 31, 2016

• Locked thread