Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I live in a condo building, where there's a parking garage and adjacent to that there's a small storage unit for each condo, like 3 square meters or so. These are notoriously always filled with crap because, you know, crap.

So my genius neighbor sent an email to me (I'm in the HOA) frantically asking if we knew the whereabouts of his set of brand spanking new summer wheels, because he'd put them in the hallway next to his storage unit. This is a) illegal due to the fire code and b) against the HOA rules and c) monumentally stupid as there's been a bunch of thefts from the storage unit area, and in every case it's been evident that someone had gotten hold of a key.

Turned out the super had taken them into custody, so he'll be able to get his wheels back, but goddamn...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Throatwarbler posted:

Yes, but the N62 is a terrible pot metal engine and you should just buy an M3.

Don't tempt me with the idea of a cheap E9X M3...

SFH1989 posted:

Just buy the Challenger and drive the poo poo out of it.

I plan on doing this. Hmm, lime green with a shaker hood... :twisted:

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 31, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CornHolio posted:

Don't tempt me with the idea of a cheap E9X M3...

Here's one for $15k in Houston that someone posted in the BMW thread: http://www.bmwwest.com/used/BMW/2008-BMW-M3-3f8a2d700a0a00de38e21581f6d549a0.htm

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

CornHolio posted:

I plan on doing this. Hmm, lime green with a shaker hood... :twisted:

Spend another three grand and get a Scat Pack :getin:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

meatpimp posted:

Here's one for $15k in Houston that someone posted in the BMW thread: http://www.bmwwest.com/used/BMW/2008-BMW-M3-3f8a2d700a0a00de38e21581f6d549a0.htm

Now that is a LOT of miles, although that car may be the most reliable thing BMW has produced in the last 20 years.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Das Volk posted:

Now that is a LOT of miles, although that car may be the most reliable thing BMW has produced in the last 20 years.

If it had a sunroof, I would be considering taking a chance... that's just so stupid cheap for a 1-owner car, and to rack up that many miles, it MUST have been largely freeway driving.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

If it had a sunroof, I would be considering taking a chance... that's just so stupid cheap for a 1-owner car, and to rack up that many miles, it MUST have been largely freeway driving.
Doesn't Houston have more highway than Detroit? I bet he commuted to work in it and that's it.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The F&F franchise got good when Justin Lin started directing.

Agreed. I LOVE Tokyo Drift.

I think I wrote a long review of it on here at one point.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Throatwarbler posted:

SO when checking wikipedia to make sure I got the engine codes right on the above post I came across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N63#BMW_N63_Customer_Care_Package_.28Recall.29

I ma astonished that this thing is turning out to be problematic! :monocle:

Yup i process these a bunch at work. The techs dont really like tearing them apart if they need the timing chain replaced cause its a pain in the dick

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some texas redneck posted:

With expired tags? You're a brave, brave man. I've been pulled over for an expired inspection in a rental, of all things, and on my way home from picking up the rental (and once I looked closer at the inspection sticker, it had been pulled off of another car... thanks Enterprise!).

Ah, but I had a long a friend who is a sperg on vehicle paperwork, among other things. turns out Texas has an online form for a Permit for Transit, good for 5 days, to get your new car home or to the DMV with expired stuff. So I did the long drive perfectly legal - and didn't see a single cop.

Glad I had that friend along. Made the paperwork easy, including send a release of lien to the guy my cousin bought the thing from, because he hadn't filed the official form with TX yet.

It's like watching Cops. You hum the song through the entire episode, know that some gently caress is going to get popped for something stupid as poo poo, and you're yelling at the TV going "HOW THE gently caress DID YOU GET POPPED FOR THAT YOU loving IDIOT?!?". Except the song isn't as catchy, and there's usually a moose involved.

My wife watches a show with Game Wardens in Maine, I think. Such dumbasses out there.

(Welcome back, Reducing Dick.)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The F&F franchise got good when Justin Lin started directing.

The ONLY F&F is is any way shape or form not an insult to the intelligence is the first one and that's still a terrible movie. The rest are just plain loving awful with no redeeming features

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I'm sorry you can't enjoy a RB powered Mustang.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PAGING DR. KILLJOY

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CornHolio posted:

Yeah but one of them would be to me.

It was though!

Really though, the problem is that here is a list of the cars that tick all of the boxes in what I am looking for:

- Dodge Challenger

Those boxes being ~35k, RWD, 6-speed, V8 or at least decent power, useable backseat.

Unless I get a used BMW 545i or 550i... did those even come with a manual?
Since usable backseat is the flipping point from "good options there" to "poo poo, all thats left is the loving challenger", thats the one I choose to ignore. ;)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've scored a pedestal drill from work, they were scrapping it because our rules changed & we can't have a 240v, belt driven drill anymore. loving Ejits, but I'm not complaining.

Now I just have to get it home, then store it somewhere until I've got a garage :suicide:

The drill they replaced it with cost £6k and is more complex than the 400t press next to it.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I'm not a bitter person but I smiled a little bit when I found out the guy who does gently caress all at work and spent all of last week bragging to me about the steal of a deal he got on a 10 year old Nissan Sentra just wrecked it in a car accident this morning.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tusen Takk posted:

PAGING DR. KILLJOY

Hi, what was your question?

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I got laid off today and I'm pretty zen about it, seven years with the same company through a couple buy outs. I knew it was coming and hated the company but I think I got spoiled working 4 ten hour shifts from home. I've never been unemployed before, so it should be interesting, time to finally get off my rear end and get some certs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
MCM just put the first episode of the new series! :toot:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

InitialDave posted:

MCM just put the first episode of the new series! :toot:

Just saw it uploaded, watching it right now :v:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

TooLShack posted:

I got laid off today and I'm pretty zen about it, seven years with the same company through a couple buy outs. I knew it was coming and hated the company but I think I got spoiled working 4 ten hour shifts from home. I've never been unemployed before, so it should be interesting, time to finally get off my rear end and get some certs.

Sup first time recently laid off buddy :hfive:

I couldn't be happier honestly, now I have the time to do all the things that I've wanted to.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Quite A Tool posted:

I'm sorry you can't enjoy a RB powered Mustang.

Put it in a movie worth watching and I'll enjoy the poo poo out of it.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

Put it in a movie worth watching and I'll enjoy the poo poo out of it.

They did, it was called Tokyo Drift.

Honestly if you go to a F&F movie expecting something like Black Swan, Birdman, Shawshank, or anything in that league you aren't doing F&F movies right.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
My fiance just casually mentioned to me that she wants a Scion FRS as her daily driver. She has never shown the slightest interest in anything car related and has happily driven her beige Accord since I have known her.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Some miserable oval office put a big rear end ding in my rear passenger door. Right near the ege, not sure if I can even PDR it. Just lovely.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Throatwarbler posted:

I ma astonished that this thing is turning out to be problematic! :monocle:

Number 5 had issues too.

bolind posted:

I live in a condo building, where there's a parking garage and adjacent to that there's a small storage unit for each condo, like 3 square meters or so. These are notoriously always filled with crap because, you know, crap.

So my genius neighbor sent an email to me (I'm in the HOA) frantically asking if we knew the whereabouts of his set of brand spanking new summer wheels, because he'd put them in the hallway next to his storage unit. This is a) illegal due to the fire code and b) against the HOA rules and c) monumentally stupid as there's been a bunch of thefts from the storage unit area, and in every case it's been evident that someone had gotten hold of a key.

Wait, why are there not individual keys to each storage unit?

Darchangel posted:

Ah, but I had a long a friend who is a sperg on vehicle paperwork, among other things. turns out Texas has an online form for a Permit for Transit, good for 5 days, to get your new car home or to the DMV with expired stuff. So I did the long drive perfectly legal - and didn't see a single cop.

Glad I had that friend along. Made the paperwork easy, including send a release of lien to the guy my cousin bought the thing from, because he hadn't filed the official form with TX yet.

They've had that for at least a few years now. :v: You can also do a 30 day permit, but the car can never have been ticketed for expired tags. I've never used the 30 day permit before though, only the 5 day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wait, why are there not individual keys to each storage unit?
A lot of condos have one key to get to the "storage unit room" and then each "storage unit" is a flimsy chain link prison cell with a lovely dollar store lock that you have individual keys to. If you can get ahold of the key to the "storage unit room" you can basically go about your business with impunity; usually there's no cameras. If anyone stumbles into the rarely-used storage room and asks you what you're doing you can just point to one of the storage units you've already busted into and pretend it's yours while making trips out to your truck in the parkade.

They busted some guy here just this week who'd been out of jail for about a month. He went around ripping off storage units and had accumulated $350,000 worth of stuff from said thefts already by the time the cops rolled up to ask him why he was punching his girlfriend in the middle of the street.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

They've had that for at least a few years now. :v: You can also do a 30 day permit, but the car can never have been ticketed for expired tags. I've never used the 30 day permit before though, only the 5 day.

Wait, so am I the only one who just drives whatever I happen to buy home without doing anything? I feel like if we had to get some permit or some poo poo, the second I purchased one the dickhead from craigslist that I had planned to buy the car from would flake out or something.

Never have registered anything until after it's gotten home.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
GBS is invading... :ohdear:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

They did, it was called Tokyo Drift.

Honestly if you go to a F&F movie expecting something like Black Swan, Birdman, Shawshank, or anything in that league you aren't doing F&F movies right.

No, I expect something that is at least watchable and not an insult to what small intelligence I may or may not have - there is over and above that, no amount of alcohol or petrol sniffing that can make Tokyo Drift in any way not loving terrible. It's not even worth hate watching.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BrokenKnucklez posted:

GBS is invading... :ohdear:

then we take the fight to them

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

T-Square posted:

Wait, so am I the only one who just drives whatever I happen to buy home without doing anything? I feel like if we had to get some permit or some poo poo, the second I purchased one the dickhead from craigslist that I had planned to buy the car from would flake out or something.

You really only need it if the seller keeps the plates, or the tags are expired. Texas started allowing the sellers to keep the plates in private party transactions several years ago. And in Darchangel's case, the inspection and registration are both expired.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

T-Square posted:

Same here. No tags, no registration, no insurance. Cops here are pretty cool about it though if you can show them you just bought it and are taking it straight home.

Cat Terrist posted:

No, I expect something that is at least watchable and not an insult to what small intelligence I may or may not have - there is over and above that, no amount of alcohol or petrol sniffing that can make Tokyo Drift in any way not loving terrible. It's not even worth hate watching.

If you're thinking or using what intelligence you may have during a TFATF movie, you're doing it very wrong. They're big dumb action flicks that are all about ridiculous stunts and crazy cars. gently caress's sake, the fifth one has a scene where they're towing a bank vault around like a giant flail and smashing everything in sight. They're not meant to be thought about or analyzed, they're basically the CoD of the movie world.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
So I saw one of these today in the wild:

:aaaaa: My first thought was that it was a really well done conversion, but I looked it up and according to C&D, it's factory and there were 1602 sold in the US between 2005 - 2008. I guess I learned something today.

e: Yeah, the X-type wasn't the most awesome car, but I have a bit of a soft spot for oddities v:shobon:v

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

T1g4h posted:

If you're thinking or using what intelligence you may have during a TFATF movie, you're doing it very wrong. They're big dumb action flicks that are all about ridiculous stunts and crazy cars. gently caress's sake, the fifth one has a scene where they're towing a bank vault around like a giant flail and smashing everything in sight. They're not meant to be thought about or analyzed, they're basically the CoD of the movie world.

This. Not everything has to be deep or thought provoking. I'm pretty excited for this one for some reason.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

TFATF is an insult to car culture, the way CoD is an insult to gaming.

I hated every single one.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Its about ethics in movies about car culture, really.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

1.4 INCH DICK posted:

Its about ethics in movies about car culture, really.

Its about not spewing lovely bro culture all over racing movies.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Black88GTA posted:

So I saw one of these today in the wild:

:aaaaa: My first thought was that it was a really well done conversion, but I looked it up and according to C&D, it's factory and there were 1602 sold in the US between 2005 - 2008. I guess I learned something today.

e: Yeah, the X-type wasn't the most awesome car, but I have a bit of a soft spot for oddities v:shobon:v

Thats weird, I saw an x wagon walking home from grocery store today. Only 1602 of them, that's a rare bird.

AI: I helped neighbor with Jeep Grand Cherokee by dremel cut-off wheeling the bolt on one of his battery terminals.
He needed a new battery at least, haven't caught up to ask what the final diagnosis was.
2002 w 195k miles, had transmission replaced at 180K , 5.7 V8.
This was first car thing I have done in forever, felt very fun to have th right answer for a problem.
I live vicariously through all you serious car folks exploits, so this was fun to have a little hands on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Huh. So a few pages back I bitched about the 110 punchdown tool I bought. I left a 1 star review for it on Amazon that day as well.

The seller just emailed me saying they're sending me a replacement for free. I didn't contact them at all, since it was past the 30 day return period when it broke, and it was only :10bux: anyway, so no great loss. Bonus points for customer service and paying attention to reviews, at least, though I doubt the new one will make it past a few jacks.

• Locked thread