Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Zeris posted:

Here's a special brand of retarded courtesy of the 101st:

glide path

gently caress... gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Spacman posted:

Our 'VA' is a bit different. We have basic UHC anyway here with the option for private healh insurance. I have a platinum health care card because I had other poo poo happen to me while deployed. Basically the platinum card allows me to obtain top tier private health care for myself, my wife and our two kids for nothing. The government picks up the bill. I do have to pay a bit for meds, it's currently $6.70 a script or something. Otherwise we scan the medicare card through the reader at any doctor and don't pay a cent.

Ugh. That sounds terrible. I'm glad the overwhelming majority of people in the U.S. don't have to endure that mess.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
I think you could teamkill in VBS2. I'm sure the army is stupid enough that someone got an article 15 for doing something in that shitheap of a program.

The best were the fat loving civilians that worked the program but didn't really know how to do things.

I wonder if they are hiring.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

brains posted:

had a DIV CSM with back-to-back-to-back DUIs who's favorite pastime was ruining the careers of junior NCOs for the same offense.

also, my first company commander was relieved about a week after i arrived to the unit; the BC came down to the company and personally apologized for his conduct during the deployment.

101 leads the way!

What brigade in the 101st?

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Mustang, sorry if I'm reading something that's just not there, but if you're spinning that getting tabbed outside of the infantry branch doesn't truly matter that much, particularly as an officer, let me save you some heartache.

Particularly as a combat arms officer, getting your tab is the single most valuable thing you can to make the army easy-mode.

You can shoot out of the box, have a platoon full of negligent-discharging mouth breathers, lose loving equipment, stab your platoon sergeant in the back, and get a DUI, but if you score a 300 and have your tab, no one is going to gently caress with you.

Don't get me wrong, ranger school seems like a pain in the dick and a bunch of gently caress gently caress games, buy if I was a new LT and hadn't yet to figured out that the army is gay (smdtfb), I'd try and do myself that favor.

Especially in this awful peace time army.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Aranan posted:

Serious question for all you fuckers who are out. Do you regret your time in? If you could go back and do it again, would you?

I'm still kind of ambivalent on it, myself. Haven't decided if I have completely wasted these 3 years or not.

i don't regret my 5 years, but the army can (often) suck huge amounts of rear end. people who are considering joining really can't even appreciate what stupidity awaits them until they've gone through it, though.

i actually loving listened to the gip "how to army, noble-flavor (OCS)" advice because i wanted to join with a college degree back in 2009. thank gently caress i did that because lol at you if you're enlisted in the army. the army is enough of a punishment if your command climate is garbage as an officer, but i'd have killed myself if i had to go through some of what i did as a joe or fresh sergeant.

anywho, being non-infantry in a an IN BN was actually great, as was deploying to afghanistan as an arty PL.

i didn't go to any schools because gently caress the army, met some great people and had above-average supervisors.

like you, i don't know if i would do it over again. i'd still get out after doing my (combat arms) LT time. some guys have a boner about taking command, but that poo poo seems like a pain in the dick and i personally think you've already hit a career-high after your platoon time. i got lucky with where and how i landed, and the risk of getting dumped into lovely organizations hugely outweighs the chance you might go to a decent unit/place.

i think there's a bit of the "grass is always greener" about getting out, but if you can handle being an adult, it's a lot better. i blew the tire on my car this morning and all i had to do was tell my boss, "i'm taking the day off."

i didn't have to beg a major to be let go after being told "figure out how to make this division change of command cause it's pretty loving important ablooobloooo ablooooooo" gently caress being on staff.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
loving hell.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

White Chocolate posted:

Going to Ft Knox next week anyone know of anything fun for me to do on post when my class is done for the day? How is the gym, is there a pool and should I just bring a lot of movies to watch?

The place was poo poo in 2009 and couldn't have gotten any better. Have you considered going AWOL instead?

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

spacetoaster posted:

COL re-took it and passed. NCO isn't allowed to grade PT tests anymore (apparently he was hosed up).

I've never seen this work any other way.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
It's bizarre and frustrating that the army is as inconsistent with awards as the TSA is with taking off your belt and shoes.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Gooble Gobble posted:

Better than being in though. FTA

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

psydude posted:

e: Also, free TSA-Pre. Nothing beats bypassing an hour long wait and making it through security in 2 minutes.

Am I a sucker for having dropped the $100 for Global Entry? I've got a similar background as you (clearance-wise) and did it on a whim.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
that's very, very good.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Mustang, I'm happy for you and you should enjoy the command climate you have for as long as it lasts.

Unfortunately, you're one dicksuck LTC or CPT away from utter bullshit that you simply have to suffer through.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Congrats, Soulex. It's a great feeling, isn't it?

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
My favorite SDO story is from when I had just gotten to my unit.

SDO shifts were pretty lax. Like HCT says, you would show up (or even just call) like twice a day. Half of the time you could get away with just leaving your number with the NCO on duty the night before and forget about it. It was easy.

One of my fellow LTs thought it would be a great idea that since his Saturday was quasi-ruined anyway as the SDO, he might as well get some personal stuff done. He decided to detail his nasty truck right in front of the battalion's main building, which was facing a fairly busy street within the base. Anyhow, he's got his tunes going, jacket off, no cover, scrubbing away on his Tahoe, or whatever, and guess who happens to pull up to check on how things are going? The battalion loving commander. The commander proceeds to chew out the LT for bringing irreparable shame upon himself, his unit and the U.S. Army for washing his car during his SDO shift (can't have the rest of Fort Campbell think the that his precious battalion wasn't AIRBORNE loving RANGER 24/7 HOOAH at all times).

We all come to work that following Monday and my CO pulls me and the other LTs into his office (Car Wash LT was in my company) and tells us in no-uncertain-terms that we are not to do anything that isn't explicitly in the SDO guidance book, that the BN CDR is pissed (he was an rear end in a top hat anyway) and that the rest of the BN's LTs were getting the same spiel we are. As punishment, Car Wash LT is going to have to work the SDO shift again next weekend.

We all say fine, give Car Wash LT a healthy amount of poo poo, and move on.

Next weekend comes around and it's time for Car Wash LT to pull his punishment SDO shift. Repentant, but not deterred from finishing the car-detailing job he was unable to complete last weekend, the LT does some mental math. The guidance for SDOs was to do some random inspections around the battalion's AO (motorpool, barracks, etc.). He figures, he'll go do that boring poo poo and then take care of his nasty truck. "I'm not washing it in front of the battalion HQ this time." he thinks. "I'll be fine just getting it cleaned up at the car wash." So, he pulls into the car wash on base, runs his truck through it, and is getting ready to use the complimentary vacuums when a car violently pulls up next to him. He looks up from picking crud off of his dashboard to the sight of a red-faced and livid battalion commander.

The commander proceeds to lose his loving mind on the LT, thinking that this dumb son of a bitch is mocking his command authority and doesn't give a flying gently caress.

We come in on Monday and the rear end in a top hat BN CDR calls an all-hands officer-only meeting (I'm shocked he didn't call us all in during the weekend) and proceeds to verbally abuse his staff and commanders for being pieces of human poo poo. We get released and find out that Car Wash LT has to work SDO shifts for a month straight and forever-more the SDO shift will now be a gigantic pain in the dick for the rest of us.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Boooooo

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Soulex posted:

Today is my last official day in the Army.

Is it normal to be sadbrains

I loving hated my last year in and I was adamant that I would put as much mental distance between me and my time in as possible. That said, I do miss some things and people and I think having mixed emotions after getting out is totally normal.

Fake edit: but FTA congrats on being free.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
psy, you were active duty before going guard, right?

isn't going officer in the guard basically the worst of both worlds because the person who take guard most seriously are the commanders that have no lives and just want to ruin everyone else's free time while literally everyone else in the guard just wants to float through and not be bothered with this bullshit?

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

mlmp08 posted:

Unrelated DD-214 success story: A guy who's a total mess and has done nothing but gently caress up since the day I got to the unit is getting out with incredible VA ratings, because despite being a royal fuckup in like 4 different categories of behavior, it's politically unpopular right now for a GO to direct a Chapter 14 vs. a Medboard, especially if mental health is even remotely involved. So I guess if you screw it all up, go hog wild, be batfuck crazy, claim some PTSD, call your EO/SARC/SHARP/Chaplain/Congressman/Senator and maybe you'll get an honorable with amazing VA rates.

if the recent crazy ex-mil shootings have highlighted anything it's that you can get an honorable discharge even after being a huge scumbag.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
When I read these stories about chaplains, I feel less bad for me and my unit acted around them. I'm sure they were better dudes than the above, but a chaplain entering a room was like dropping a live grenade. People would jump out of windows.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
ADA must be like the bronies of the army, no? They exist, but we'd rather not talk about it?

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
lol if you think it has anything to do with having a Corp or Division HQ there.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Didn't matter, ACAP was better than being in the three shop, longing for the sweet embrace of death.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
I have to walk past the ROTC building here at school and all I can do is look with sadness at the cadets in their ACUs, while I think about how gay as gently caress the army is going to be when they hit the force.

But then I walk right into the student center and buy some coffee and a bagel with sweet GI bill cash while sporting a month-old beard and I remember my life kicks rear end.

Don't do ROTC.

gently caress the army.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Work was my battalion commander and he's a fantastic person and I'd work for him again in a second if I was still in.

He went well out of his way to give a poo poo about his people, and the picture being painted doesn't square with me at all.

Well, that's my story.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

mlmp08 posted:

Watched one of my cats slowly whither away over the weekend until we had to put him down, spending the week doing some of the most boring training ever in my life while unit work keeps piling up, and working late this week to attend mandatory resilience training.

:smithicide:

sorry duders. hug your other cat.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Kaliber posted:

So far I had 2 soldiers reenlist infantry (One idiot had Hawaii and turned it down because his girlfriend that he never had sex with and is splitting a lease with didn't want to go. Oh he lives in the barracks and everything is out of pocket) and two soldiers get married at 18. One's wife went on a whoring rampage across Ft Stewart and no one has the heart to tell him yet. And bought a car while she had full POA without telling him. And the other one is 19, lives with his TL, with his 16 year old girlfriend who's a runaway. I just took over that squad but I found out that NCO lives patriot loan to patriot loan with his wife and 2 kids.....

God I hate the infantry.

army.txt

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

psydude posted:

This Saturday, I'm going to be sleeping in while the people in my old unit take a PT test. Feels good. Might even wake up a bit early and go for a leisurely run around the lake at a nice, slow 9 minute pace.

I absolutely hated doing group PT while in, but I'm running more now that I'm out and this morning I ran slow as hell and stopped at a mile and a half.

You know why I stopped? Because I loving felt like it and I'm an adult.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

White Chocolate posted:

Watch my hooah slowly unravel.

2014 Enroll in CCC phase 1 for class in 2016 as soon as I make 1LT
2015 Finish phase 2 (online course) and the unit refuses to pay.
2016 June Course I was enrolled for I get dropped from ONE WEEK before start date. Slot given to senior CPT in danger of missing PME before making major.
July Attempt to Enroll in CA CCC Phase 1/2 Need to take "Airborne Physical" and pass first.
July
spend all month going repeatedly (5 times) to different Doctors that the Army sends me to because "The last one lost the paperwork" 4 times or twice "Forgot to do this important test" Finally pass the Airborne physical end of July. Intend to do online portion in Summer and then in person OCT 23
August
I'm away for work in a hotel for the entire month. I beg the training officer to enroll me in the class so I can do Phase 1 (online) while I have literally days of free time at my disposal. Am not enrolled.
September
At drill I am enrolled into Phase 1/2.. No I have a SEAT for an online course. The "Course" starts in October and Phase 2 is a 29 day in person course in Bragg Oct 23rd. The Army drops the Airborne physical requirement so now all the CPTs pending that(15) in my BN immeadiately slot ahead of me and we all "go to" phase 1.
October.
The course manager has repeatedly failed to answer an email or phone call during duty hours and their LTC manager will not answer the phone either. I get an out of office until OCT 3rd email... from an email I send OCT 4th...
Week 2. Call the branch manager ask them if there is anything they can do. Branch say they don't want to throw the schoolhouse manager under the bus. I say gently caress that throw them under the bus.
Week 3 FINALLY receive email from Schoolhouse detailing how to get blackboard access. Sign into blackboard the first chance I get(today). "IT WILL TAKE 3 DAYS FOR YOU TO GET ENROLLED INTO THIS CLASS. PLEASE WAIT FOR THE EMAIL."

They require you to have finished Phase 1 7 weeks before enrolling in Phase 2. gently caress this.
:ffg::flaccid::flipoff::flip::flipoff::fuckoff::fuckthis:

The best part is that there are still phases 3/4 to go.

no the best part is that doing CCC will incur at least another year of service before you can get out hahaha so the army is loving you over in the process of loving you over even more

owned

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

remember that mustangs unit is great and everyone loves it

the worm will turn

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Naked Bear posted:

Do it right out in the middle of the field. When the CSM shows up, put him at parade rest.

Just kidding. Be courteous; ask if he'd like to join.

you know drat well that CSMs don't even have enough juice for their spouses, seeing as how they spend all their time loving over entire battalions/brigades

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

psydude posted:

I'm not trying to knock anyone's service, but I have noticed a trend where the people who are the loudest about Benjamin Ghazi, invading Iran, and deploying ground troops to Syria to fight ISIS were all in the airforce or navy from like 1993-1997.

all my anecdotes support this as well

this seems to especially apply to people who have an E/O-"car"-B which is always some modded Wrangler with "US COMBAT VETERAN" decals, plus an ARCOM sticker and Calvin pissing on an ISIS flag.

i could see getting some purple heart plates because i think you don't have to pay out of pocket for the registration fee? that's nice

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
reading that story makes me glad i am out now because lol the military is going to be super awesome now that future O-3 and above are going to have a huge chip on their shoulders from "missing the war" and trying to one-up people who actually deployed

"hmm yes i need to mimic battlefield conditions, sir"

i guess i'll dust off my bodybuilding.com account and order some supplements. MREs? i thought tonight was wing night in the dfac

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

not caring here posted:

What is this navy fuckin' voodoo "chiefs mess"?

p sure it's a special hangout/eating room for E7 and above. i think O's get their own mess too.

unsurprisingly, this reinforces the idea that everyone E6 and below in the navy is all but useless for anything other than their direct job function

it's been weird to have been in the army and now work for the navy as a contractor.

plenty to hate about the army, but the navy seems to be rear end-backward in everything

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
wow haven't seen you post in a while. are you still in?

also, if the army is looking to low-tech solutions then there's nothing more low-tech efficient as Joe Power.

manchego fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 24, 2016

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Been listening to the Serial podcast off of the recommendations in the thread.

Real good and up to episode 8.

The CSM is army as gently caress when he starts connecting the dudes being out of uniform while setting up their lovely OP to "...AND THAT'S HOW YOU GET A loving MY LAI, HOOAH?"

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Mustang posted:

Our OPS SGM is really chill and regularly calls out dumb Army stuff for being stupid, puts his hands in his pockets, etc. Still mystified how he made it through the SGM's Academy. He's about to go to another unit and become a CSM, maybe a switch will flip inside him once he gets there.

Your loving bizarro-world unit is a fragile cherry blossom.

It is destined to crumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

bulletsponge13 posted:

Must be institutional to the DoD.

It has to be.

Everyone has stories like this and I thought the same thing when we ripped out with a unit from 4/101 in AFG in 2013. I'm sure 4/25 said the same thing about us when we got there and they left.

4/101 was really ate the gently caress up though, and they made a mess of our firing point within a week of officially taking over.

• Locked thread