Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
I just did the online portion of ACAP and scheduled my appointment. I thought this was going to be a good experience, good to know they nail you one more time on your way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Can confirm about the education advising during ACAP. I was told that my acceptance and plan to move to University of Montana was unneccessary and I should just do an online college from the comfort of my own home and collect the "free money from the 9/11 bill." That doesn't make educational or financial sense. Of course he hawked troy university and AMU.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Also on that note, make sure you go to the job fairs if you know your time in the military is coming to an end. Six3 systems has a large presence here in Germany, and just by attending two or three of their hiring pitches and having worked with them at Wiesbaden, they made an internship sound like easy times. I am not counting on it, but business cards from them and face-time can't hurt.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
The best part of being stationed on Ft Benning was eating at the subway and watching the RASP/Airborne school guys run around in silly helmets and canteens while I drank my extra large soda.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009

Aranan posted:

116th MI at Gordon. How lame is it? Are we talking normal levels of Army lame, worse, maybe better?

Pretty lame. Practice your salutes because your arm will always be in the air walking around. Also, they really like payday activities so make sure your ASUs are in order. Mostly its dog and pony because typical garrison army mentality. There are exceptions if you get in one of the cool guy cells that do weird shifts and have a real world mission.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Few months until I ETS, one month until I start clearing. Took a PT Test with the next morning half drunk feeling and unshaven, still passed and then dry heaved for five minutes. I think I will singlehandedly reduce recruitment rates in my hometown soon.

EDIT: Haha nope got the green weenie, year left to go!

Ptolemaeus fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 1, 2016

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
My favorite were the deployment day trader wannabes. We had two guys conspire to be all about the stock-market since we were spending 13-14 hours a day in the tscif anyway and managed to probably lose a cumulative total of 8-10k.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009

Painsaw posted:

Army resiliency training, the best training for making you want to suck start a rifle.

Alright everyone I know its Weds and you have so much to do before Friday that getting out on time for the weekend already looks dubious. We are taking the day off for safety stand down and I want 100% of asses in seats for this 6 hour block of powerpoint training and random speakers that will choose people to be awkward on stage in front of their peers. I feel good about how much this will impact morale.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
My building has one tiny medical office in it staffed by our support medical people, but also where they give out shots. Above it, but still part of the same building is where all the barracks are. I wonder what I can do with this reg if I bring it up since our commander has the hugest hard on for regulations.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009

Cole posted:

campbell?

Katterbach in Germany. It is a miserable setup, the basement is where all the staff sections and med work, while above ground are all the barracks rooms. Some guys never leave a 50 yard radius for weeks because the dfac is next door.

Mike-o posted:

Get lynched by all the barracks joes?

It just makes me laugh at the poor foresight that goes into military regulations as usual, because technically only one internal road runs across the base that connects to our building and the TMC, as well as only two parking lots both connected for most of the base. Essentially, this regulation would ban smoking on 80% of our base, and all the joes can no longer dip/smoke pretty much anywhere but some grassy field used as a soccer field.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
When your organization's members take it as a point of pride which part is worse, it really makes you think about your life choices. Two more months.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009

Nimmy posted:

It only took me 2 years to get everything I wanted out of the army, and I'm going to sell more years to live in Germany.

Being only half retarded though, I'm not going to reenlist unless I get it. "Oh, just re-up, stay in Campbell a little longer, and then call branch", nah gently caress off.

I did the exact same thing and regretted it immensely. I wanted to travel, instead 3-158 AHB decided that we would spend 8 out of 12 of the months in various fields like JMRC or multinational training in Latvia or Lithuania. I've been here for two years now, and have probably enjoyed three months of my time here. Most of my time has been either in JMRC or Poland/Latvia sleeping on a cot, and I am an intel weenie with an aviation unit wtf.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Med board for making me infertile and constant ball pain that is worsened with PT has been declined and deemed rehabilitative. Thankfully my contract only has a year remaining, one more long year.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009

at the date posted:

Haha, I had to live with E Co at Benning for a month then get recycled because of testicular torsion. Still gives me trouble, but for some reason I never thought to mention twisty balls to the VA.

I had an idiopathic varicocele they kept claiming was just a minor hernia. Turns out it wasn't, and my junk got permanently damaged from blood flow issues and now I am shooting blanks from the last two tests. It feels like a midget is hanging from my balls most of the time, truly joyous.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
After pushing my vulnerable, raw body through the razorwire shithole that is my orderly room, battalion S1, and Brigade s1 and twice daily phonecalls to HRC and USAEUR, my early separation for employment at a grand total of six months shaved off my ETS has been approved. My freedom is only four months away, six years later.

Ptolemaeus fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 10, 2015

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Anyone here ever attempted an early release for employment packet? My previous get out of the army trick fell through because I was deemed "essential personnel" while submitting to get out a year early because I decline to re-enlist and my unit is shutting down. Being in a unit where the highest level is BDE, and a useless power-tripping one at that, is hell.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Thanks for the very detailed and useful response, I will go see transitions tomorrow. I was deemed "mission essential" because we are low on people and I am now an S2 Analyst and armorer...which I also think is a conflict of interest but sure why not. Hopefully it goes well, otherwise its wait until late July and hope for a school release. The previous post was my last attempt at getting out, which got as far as my phase 2 physical and finishing ACAP/TAPS, but then getting denied at the BDE CDR interview part.

Hopefully the job itself will pass merit, it pays much better than my poo poo enlisted pay, and it will be a DCGS-A instructor in Kuwait at AJ so hopefully I can spin the still training and aiding the Army piece.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Employment drop packet got denied but my university drop packet got approved, who knows but its still 90 days early so whatever. July 7th I am finally out and off to the promised land. Thanks for the help earlier in the thread, just going to tell everyone at school that I was in prison for the last 7 years.

Also got an email from my student veterans association at George Washington U asking if I'd be interested in a position with them. Are these worth helping out and actually helping student veterans adjust, or should I just enjoy the free printer/scanners and a quiet place to study on campus?

Another question, but I am about to do my phase 2 physical and all that. Lovely Army medical made me infertile confirmed by tests due to an untreated vericosecele that I was repeatedly told was just a hernia or pulled muscle until it was finally treated when my junk swole up to the size of a grapefruit. What documentation should I be getting to make sure I can make any claims, because drat right I am making claims on that one. I have the three years of profiles and the permanent I am currently on, because running still feels like a midget is hanging from my sack, but should I be asking for copies of every TMC/outpatient interaction and such?

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009

Will do, I appreciate it. No, I'm currently on a tiny base in Germany that only has a TMC-lite type thing, so just making sure I cover all my bases because my services from them have been rather lackluster, hence the wrecked testicles. I will definitely try to get a copy of everything they have though. Yeah that seems what the vets association was pitching, they just asked because they wanted someone older to help out and volunteer. No idea if its actually paid, but if they do actual helpful stuff for vets I wouldn't mind giving my time because I can't even imagine what I will do with all that free time soon.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Company did a gas mask+ IOTV run today, tried to rope me in even though I turned my gear in for ETS. Just went to sick call and got a no running/no ruck because of a slightly ingrown toenail. gently caress you I am on the way out I can see the light.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Just met transitions to build my DD214 with one of the oldest, nicest human beings I've ever met. Quartermaster lost one of the pieces of my IOTV (shoulder Velcro piece) but is claiming I never dropped it off even though its on the inventory. Don't even care, take all my money, I'm on the way out gently caress the army.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
I just woke up to cadence calls, put in earplugs, and slept until 1030. ETS clearing is awesome, pt sucks army sucks cadences suck.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
I'm out, DD214 in hand and at the airport hotel. Can't wait to be back in the states. Also holy poo poo I didn't realize you get BAH+BAS while on terminal leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

That's why it's usually better to take the leave rather than just be paid for it.

Yeah, and apparently its based on the leave address/home of record. Pretty much makes my next two terminal months of paychecks equivalent to the last four.

• Locked thread