Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You know, I thought I did some dumb poo poo. I thought my joes did some dumb poo poo.
I was wrong. Cole, that post takes the cake. That was some dumb loving ahit there. It's not all your fault- your NCOs failed you too.
loving Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

sky shark posted:

http://www.johntreed.com/ranger.html

Commentary on how Ranger school is dumb.

This is like 12,000 words bragging about being a West Pointer. Seriously, he sounds like a 2LT Ring Knocker for most of it, and his points get lost in it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Unit Chat-
My Unit in the 82d was pretty loving rad when I was in (3/325, late 02-mid 05) but we were deployed for most of my time there. Leadership at the section/platoon level was all around good with long periods of loving awesome, and even though I was a shithead during the short periods we were in garrison, because I was decent at my job and when deployed, I got away with poo poo that should have got me Art15'd a few times over.

Worst? A PAANG unit that no longer exists (thanks Obama! Or modularity or whatever). Super toxic leadership, a lot of soldiers not knowing basic poo poo, a lovely posting deployed with no real mission, coupled with my own unrealized mental health issues, made that the worst posting imaginable. I add the last thing because while it falls on me to get my poo poo fixed, it was made about 1000% worse by that shitastic unit.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Desert Nam 3- Hopefully we pull out at the right time.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Morris from that sexual assault article just looks like a rapist. Not because he is black, but because he rapey eyes.
There are lots of ways to curb sexual assault in the .MIL, but I think we should go the easy and fun way- firing squad. Rape is (was?) listed as a capital crime in the UCMJ.

Retirement chat- I didn't get an award for retirement, and it kind of chaps my rear end. I did however get to submit another sworn statement (7th one, if IIRC) about poo poo that never came back from Iraq.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Unimportant and unrelated to current poo poo, but Jesus loving Christ, what the gently caress takes so long to approve a CRSC application? I am just pissed off and want this to be done. It's like the last little game of "Just the Tip" from the green weenie.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

He has a gym named after him on Bragg.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Never posting a bit-

Vasudus posted:

It took me about six months once the paperwork actually got to where it had to be. Then I got the VA's chunk of it about a month after the fact. This was about 18 months ago maybe, so it might be different now.
How long after your approval letter until you got paid? How long until your back pay?

Transcript chat- you know how at the bottom of your Army transcript it has any other duty positions you were assigned to, but not MOS Q'd for listed? Like I was an 11B but assigned as an MP, so it lists MP and had some line like, "Please evaluate for credits in this subject." According to that, I was a Drill Sergeant. Which is pretty impressive, since I got out as an E4.

ACAP- I said I had ACAP everyday for like three weeks. Used it as makeshift pass/terminal leave stand in. Never went to a single class. poo poo ruled.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I must have bit lucky, but I was never in a unit where we had an SOP for Molle poo poo, 82d included.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I had heard of something (before my time) in the 82d that I think this is referring to. Troopers used to keep their trigger finger straight along the Mag well like normal people, until some dickhead came along and made them put all four fingers on the pistol grip, like an ape.

Imn (picture that being a normal finger off the trigger thing) instead they were required to do it like this mm. Picture that horizontal on an M4. I am tired and don't know if that makes sense.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

McNally, if there is anything I can do, let me know. poo poo Man, I'll even kickstarter your rampage.
But serious, pretty much anyone on here would do whatever you want/need/ask. I don't check into the hangouts thread like I used to (I should change that) but gently caress Man. Reach out if you need it. I don't care if it is to ask for PayPal to fund your weekend of drinking.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

X posting- how far out does mypay generate LES before paydays?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

And wasn't he OPFOR and supposed to be sitting at Apaches?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A bit of a necropost-
Awards chat- I know of two soldiers who were upgraded at BN from BSM w/V to Silver Stars, only to be downgraded at DIV to BSMV again. The reason, given verbally by our BC? They were E4s. So they got down checked.
MoH chat- seriously check out the book "Legend" by Eric Blehm that tells the story of Benevidez. His citation loving downplays his insane levels of badassery. It's extremely engaging and a fantastic history of him and his actions.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

After dealing with the Med Retirement system for 5 years, I finally found out what my Army Retirement will be.

Less than $400 a month. Hooah, I guess? I mean this is in addition to my VA monies, but had I known all this bullshit would result in less than 400 a month I probably would have just ETS'd, rather than deal with all the bullshit.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

It's $400 a month you didn't have before, when it's all over with and when you don't have to worry about it any more you'll be glad.

I'm trying to look at the bright side, but after so much misery to get here, it's almost anticlimactic.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

sky shark posted:

Step five, never, ever wear any gruntstyle or tapout or other moto clothing.

otherwise chill bro and enjoy your dd214 blanket and welcome to the brotherhood

While many of their shirts are loving assed up, Grunt Style's T-shirts and their stupid Beer Guarantee is awesome. Their shirts are soft as poo poo and comfortable, and with buying plain-ish ones for working out or undershirts or whatever. I love their poo poo, but stay away from most of the motarded poo poo.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Weird question I can't seem to find the answer to using my weak rear end google skills.
How many grams of carbs does a Basic Trainee get each day?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Yeah the real tragedy will be when instead of an LOD decision he gets a letter saying the VA rates her at 10% post mortem.

I wish I could like this post. Seriously McNally, Jesus loving Christ. I think it might be time for a congressional. If anything warrants it, it's this poo poo.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A Bad Poster posted:

The best one I've been on was a 0530 manifest, do all the pre-jump poo poo, put on all the chutes and rucks at 1130. Then they push the boarding time back from 1230 to 1400, then 1500, then 1600, then 1730. Then they move us to the flight line because the plane is going to be there "soon". Sit on the runway in the sun for another 45 minutes in full combat gear, and when the plane lands, the load master runs out and tells us they can't use that plane anymore and the whole thing gets cancelled. The line for the bathroom was nuts.

This, except the C-130 had a "cracked wing".

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Staff Duty stories? I have one hell of a weekend from the 82d.

During SD and CQ there was no loving sleeping. Ever. Well, one day the Division Commander comes by to my sister BN (325 AIR) and finds the CQ NCO and the runner nodded the gently caress out. The DivCMDR wakes the NCO and says that he would like to check the Barracks. The NCO asks the General who the gently caress he is rolling in to the CQ in civvies and why he wants to check the Barracks. The General gives this fine NCO his ID, to which the Sergeant checks, and then goes back to loving sleep.
The General walks through the Barracks, and finds two NCOs playing Russian Roulette. Tons of underage drinking and whores in the Barracks.
He checks some other Batts, and finds a tons more fuckery. The clincher for this Friday was at another unit (I think it was the Panthers or DIVARTY) a kid on suicide watch was given a can of fuel and told to refill the Humvee out front. The CQ NCO and Runner think nothing of it.

The kid set himself on fire. Like no poo poo, set himself on fire.
All of this, along with a ton of DUIs and (IIRC) three motorcycle fatalities in 30 hours.

It was a fun couple weeks at Bragg.

Once I was the runner on Regimental SD and when the Commander came in, I stood to call At Ease, and the Colonel told me, "Shut the gently caress up. I am trying to sneak in here and ghost out. Don't call at ease, don't notify the SD NCO, and sure as gently caress don't put out the flag. Put it out right before you get relieved, and tell them I am in my office."

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Whenever the PA guard traveled with weapons like that, I always saw an armed guard.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

2003. There was no electricity in Baghdad which meant no a/c, no fridge, nothing cool at all. There were some Ice factories in the city that got big generators to allow them to make mountains of giant rectangular ice blocks that they delivered all over the city.

At the time there was a strictly enforced curfew at sundown (like, we kill you if you're out driving around), but we made a deal with the ice company. They get to run their ice deliveries at night, and in return, my units got a giant blocks of ice whenever they wanted it.

You broke up the big block into little chunks that you could put in your cooler with your drinks.

You really could get anything back then for an ice cold fanta.

I remember these days. Except we had some rear end in a top hat who went home crying, so we used his lovely BudK special Sykes Fairbairn Commando Dagger. That human being spent like 250 on a set of BLACKHAWK! ALICE style web gear, and then decided to go to war with the cheapest knife he could find.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Soulex posted:

Can confirm. Around week 3 in Haiti, my friend came up behind me and put an ice cube down my shirt. I was mad that he didn't get it on my face.

Turns out, the Jamaicans set up shop right next to us. They were loving partying all the time, sold delicious pineapple Fanta that people straight up offered us cigarettes or dip for one. Cost was one dollar, and it took a good bit before everyone found out.

But man. That first loving drink? I felt like I had sucked the dick of gods and this was my grateful bukake.

I remember my first cold Pepsi in Iraq. It was the best god drat thing I have ever drank, with ice cold orange fanta in second place by a decent margin.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

We did a blank fire prepared defense scenario using real human bean opfor and they gave us real c-wire to use to make our defenses. Needless to say opfor got injured because they attacked at night and they didn't let opfor have NODs so they ran into a bunch of c-wire anyways that's my c-wire story. They might as well have given us real claymores with how far up their rear end they were about "realism", fuckers only have 30 rounds of blanks per person then yelled at people saying "bang bang" when they ran out.

aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAARMY training!

Same, but Iraq.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

If the DZSO holds the portable weather station just right and maybe stands with his body blocking the wind vane, wind speed is just slow enough to jump! A concussion builds heart.

This actually to me happened at Bragg. I'm sure it has happened to everyone at Bragg, but I remember the official number of 71/500 jumpers landing in trees. According to the BC, that doesn't include all the dudes who got out on their own.
In my section (seven dudes, six jumping) we had 4 concussions, two with injured knees/ankles, and one who was told he hit so hard he tore the lining in his lung, which was the explanation for him coughing blood for days.
JRTX rules.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Helicopter insertions are just as dangerous as jumps, in a different way. Besides the fact that a helo is several million parts flying in close formation with the intent of loving physics and killing you, every third world bumpkin with an AK knows what helos mean. There is a reason why so many cool guy units avoid them for lo vis and ground assault assets.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Some of the cool guy units specifically avoid helos if possible because of the lack of stealth and inherent danger and instead go for poo poo like hiluxs and local poo poo. I am not saying that all avoid it. I am saying that according to written accounts and anecdotes from dudes I know, many times units avoid using helos if possible.

poo poo, I am not defending airborne mass tax ops. I doubt there will ever be a time when they will ever be needed again, and if there was, we could train enough dudes in a week.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Yes, I was in the Army.lol
I am going off of (yes, anecdotal is not empirical) from a bunch of dudes I have known in SF who said they preferred to roll low vis/avoiding helos if possible. I'm not saying they never use helicopters, or don't roll without gunships on call. I am not saying its standard, it's a tool for the tool box. If you don't want to believe me, Pete Blaber former CAG commander and author of 'The Mission, The Men, and Me' talks about how he avoided helicopters like the plague.

And the one week thing is a slight exaggeration. According to the instructors at Banning, they told us that in event of a real war, Airborne school could be condensed to four days, minus actual jumps. Could be bullshit, probably is. Don't care. Airborne Divisions are dumb.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

cravius posted:

Ft Banning lmao

God drat auto-correct.

I did nothing all day, that's how to do the out of the Army thing, right?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

MurderBot posted:

Not gonna lie, guard/reserve lifestyle especially with 100% guaranteed promotions really seems to not be that bad of a trade-off. 20 years and you get yourself a retirement check at 60 *or whatever the retirement age will be for us* plus one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer isn't bad in the grand scheme of things.

I guess I'm just at that point where I'm actually wanting to retire and not be a wal-mart greeter at 70 so this poo poo sounds like a good idea to my 29 year old brain...

LMAO
It isn't 1 weekend/month, 2 weeks/year. It's more like whenever the gently caress we want for however the gently caress we want. Promotions aren't guaranteed- you have to find a slot, they won't let you serve above/below. Add in the normal Army fucker that will of course be condensed, so instead of having a month to do something, you will have a day or two and have to do it every month for three months because only the truly incompetent get full time positions. Even after you do twenty, you won't get your pension until 60 (or is it 65?) and then it is based on points that you acquire by attending drill.

It is like a lovely RPG version of the real Army, where the only DLC available is depression.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

only because the army is involved

QFT

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

By working the Guard promotion system (ie doing bullshit like changing units to one 150 miles away and poo poo like that) who went from E4 to E7 in like three years.
He also talked his way into being assigned to a unit on the other side of PA but drilling with a local unit.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've told the story before, but two E4s from my company had their valor awards downgraded from Silver Stars to Bronze Stars w/V because they were only SPCs. It's bullshit- their squad leader did get a Silver Star, and they did way more hardcore poo poo. At least everytime their SL was interviewed (it happened a bunch- he was in the Army video game and all that poo poo) and he took them to all these trade shows and cool poo poo where they got free stuff.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

We had a Chaplain who was a Ranger in Desert Nam 1, and after seeing some poo poo, became a Chaplain. He was baller as poo poo. He had a LoR for starting a fight club in Germany and loving smashed some Iraqi's dude's faces into concrete to get to two wounded dudes and pulled them out after they were surrounded during a riot and someone tossed a frag.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

After a buddy and I were wounded, we were walking out of a BN aid station when the Chaplain stopped us.
"I heard you boys got hit."
"Yes sir"
"Can I pray with you?"
Me- "If it makes you feel better, sir."
Buddy, laughing "Haha NO.
The look on that Chaplain's face was as if we personally kicked Christ during the stations of the cross.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Singing Division songs is super gay. Not even the 82ND did that poo poo.

These could be that the 82 song is super dumb.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

cravius posted:

Got my pass canceled, gently caress you army

https://youtu.be/Wj14B7Ahgpg

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A former 1SG started at my job. I politely and professionally let him know he was wrong about something. Instead of saying, "my bad" or "thanks" or "good looking out", he angrily doubled down and gave a customer seriously bad information. I pulled him aside today, and asked him about it. His response?
"I don't like being corrected"
I don't give a gently caress about his feelings. He keeps the poo poo up, I am going to have words with him along with my team lead.
This was after he said something to me after a little joke about touching all the glass he cleaned.
"Do it, and you will see the old First Sergeant come out!"
"I don't give a gently caress, we aren't in the Army. Even when I was, I didn't give a poo poo about authority. Why do you think I retired at a low rank?"
He doesn't like me, and I think he is an idiot. So whatever. At least I'm not in the Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

I watched JAG have to sincerely tell a BN CDR he could not require his entire battalion to get land line phones after someone dropped their cell phone in water over a weekend and this didn't answer a phone call for 36 hours.

Abandon all logic.

Funny, when I was coming in the Army, it was the same deal but with cell phones.

• Locked thread