Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zeris posted:

If you weren't there yourself then shut up just shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Where were you? When they built the ladder to heaven?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

psydude posted:

Everyone just go read Relentless Strike and then we won't have to continue this conversation.

I don't like military books just give me a tl;dr.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

everyone just go read your school textbooks because military books are gay compared to using your gi bill

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ace of Baes posted:

I don't like military books just give me a tl;dr.

It's written by an actual journalist and not a ghost writer masquerading as an ex-SEAL.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Justin Tyme posted:

everyone just go read your school textbooks because military books are gay compared to using your gi bill

Yeah I'm gonna go read my math textbook, said nobody ever!!!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Ace of Baes posted:

oh wow cool reg date

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

oh wow cool reg date

Thanks Lowtax gave it to me back when my username was 7777777.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Ace of Baes posted:

My parents made me do this 30 minutes a day in High School.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Soulex posted:

jesus they must have been so disappointed when you enlisted

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Soulex posted:

Are you Asian? I never studied in high school, but I also graduated with like a 1.3 GPA, thankfully I was smart enough to use TA while I was in and got to transfer to a good university when I got out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

jesus they must have been so disappointed when you enlisted

One of my buddies was super good at math in highschool but kind of a slacker at everything else. His dad was a pretty badass dude: commissioned from ROTC at UCSB in 1964 and did two tours in Vietnam as a field artillery officer, including one during the Tet Offensive where his battery was running direct fire missions against advancing VC and NVA. On two different occasions he missed being shot in the head by sniper fire because he'd turned his head at the last second; on both occasions the shots hit other people and killed them. Got home, got a MS in anthropology and lived among the Navajo in New Mexico. Got a MPH and went on to do addiction research at Walter Reed regarding the military's heroin epidemic. Eventually started working with both public and non-profit entities to clean up lead paint in Baltimore, before finally retiring. He went skydiving for his 70th birthday.

So anyway, he hand-writes this long letter to his son explaining both the positives and the negatives of the military, including why he believed his son was better off not joining at all and why he would absolutely hate it. Of course my buddy said "gently caress YOU DAD" and joined anyway because kids are dumb.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Let's be real though when most people decide theyre gonna join the army they've already made up their mind. I know if someone would have told me not to join I would have been like gently caress you man I bag groceries.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

RichieHimself posted:

I think I'm the only one here that actually got recalled and showed up. It was very easy to get out of from what I saw, but this was a group of 11b so it could have been different for other jobs. I think with infantry they just recalled a shitload and expected most to not show up or not be fit to deploy. In my recall group in early 2009, they recalled around 350 dudes and only about 150 reported and less than 100 were deployed. Dudes were getting sent home just for telling the medical folks that they had PTSD symptoms.

I was real salty at first when I was recalled because they sent a batch of us to a natty guard cav unit that didn't need us and didn't want us. Instead of letting us go home, they brought us along to serve as PSD for a command group that never left the FOB and to beef up their TOC shifts so their dudes got more time off. I only put my body armor on to fly in and out of country, got a waiver for E6, and saved up a bunch of cash. Crushing boredom, but it could have been much worse.

There's at least two of us. 09 as well.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

happy gently caress the army friday

gently caress everything about it

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

that sucks man i would gently caress off and smoke weed with my friends and skip school every day and you and i ended up doing p much the same thing in the long run it would seem

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

SwampDonkey posted:

There's at least two of us. 09 as well.

:sissies: Where did you end up?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
There should be some official rule in philosophy or the humanities or whatever that says the stupider the idea that someone has set out on, the more counterproductive it becomes to talk them out of it. When someone wants to join the army, trying to get them not to will only sweeten the deal in their eyes. It's always been this way and always will be.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

happy gently caress the army friday

gently caress everything about it

This should be a national holiday, and make it a four day.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Nobody tried to talk me out of joining the army, and that's when I realized I didn't have any true friends.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lick my taint army

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

RichieHimself posted:

:sissies: Where did you end up?

Kalsu

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Kalsu owned, what year? I was there in 05-06 and it was just a sand berm perimeter when i showed up. I heard it got really nice a rotation or 2 after us.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

Kalsu owned, what year? I was there in 05-06 and it was just a sand berm perimeter when i showed up. I heard it got really nice a rotation or 2 after us.

08-09 & yeah there was a huge dfac & decent gym. Had a Green Bean & they added a Pizza Hut during that time.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

SwampDonkey posted:

08-09 & yeah there was a huge dfac & decent gym. Had a Green Bean & they added a Pizza Hut during that time.

Even with that it turned back into a poo poo hole in 2010. Never stopped raining rockets. The average was 2-3 a day hitting on base. Trust 3 ACR to turn anything remotely nice into a hell hole.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

ASAPI posted:

Even with that it turned back into a poo poo hole in 2010. Never stopped raining rockets. The average was 2-3 a day hitting on base. Trust 3 ACR to turn anything remotely nice into a hell hole.

That was going on then too. At least one ricocheted off a T wall & through a CHU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

cravius posted:

Ft Banning lmao

God drat auto-correct.

I did nothing all day, that's how to do the out of the Army thing, right?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bulletsponge13 posted:

God drat auto-correct.

I did nothing all day, that's how to do the out of the Army thing, right?

I gained 20 pounds in three months.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

I gained 20 pounds in three months.

drat, dude, you gained weight faster than me after I was put on meds with a side effect of "weight gain" and was told to do literally nothing for 4-6 weeks after a surgery.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

drat, dude, you gained weight faster than me after I was put on meds with a side effect of "weight gain" and was told to do literally nothing for 4-6 weeks after a surgery.

I stayed stoned with the munchies literally 24/7.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Crazy Mike posted:

In a plan about as stupid as timing the market I'm waiting for the combination of unpopular war, absolute bottom of the barrel in desperation and needs of the force combined with a soaring economy sending all the smart talented 6 figure income potential people out before I reapply for OCS and have the highest chances of getting my gold bar. If anyone can do it, Hillary Clinton can.

How bad will it have to get before the reserves offer me a direct commission to leave the guard and join them?

It is hard to direct commission just listen to the sgt in my company that has been waiting since I was a butterbar and now I am about ready to pin on the railroad tracks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

White Chocolate posted:

It is hard to direct commission just listen to the sgt in my company that has been waiting since I was a butterbar and now I am about ready to pin on the railroad tracks.

The board results for our YG won't be released until some time next year. Meanwhile I'll be automatically be promoted to O3 the moment I hit the loving IRR because the Army is stupid.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Myself, Zeris, TED, who else got O-3 at 36 months?

Good luck to all the idiots that have to serve under those 36 month captains who are now, or about to be, O-4s

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

iKon posted:

Good luck to all the idiots that have to serve under those 36 month captains who are now, or about to be, O-4s

My current unit has several of them, some of which have never deployed.

e: Every person I commissioned with (26 people) has gotten out or is getting out within the next 8 months. This includes reserve, active, and national guard. The one exception is a girl in the VAARNG who has been guaranteed a spot all the way to O6, but I guess that's what happens in the national guard.

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 4, 2016

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Not gonna lie, guard/reserve lifestyle especially with 100% guaranteed promotions really seems to not be that bad of a trade-off. 20 years and you get yourself a retirement check at 60 *or whatever the retirement age will be for us* plus one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer isn't bad in the grand scheme of things.

I guess I'm just at that point where I'm actually wanting to retire and not be a wal-mart greeter at 70 so this poo poo sounds like a good idea to my 29 year old brain...

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

MurderBot posted:

Not gonna lie, guard/reserve lifestyle especially with 100% guaranteed promotions really seems to not be that bad of a trade-off. 20 years and you get yourself a retirement check at 60 *or whatever the retirement age will be for us* plus one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer isn't bad in the grand scheme of things.

I guess I'm just at that point where I'm actually wanting to retire and not be a wal-mart greeter at 70 so this poo poo sounds like a good idea to my 29 year old brain...

LMAO
It isn't 1 weekend/month, 2 weeks/year. It's more like whenever the gently caress we want for however the gently caress we want. Promotions aren't guaranteed- you have to find a slot, they won't let you serve above/below. Add in the normal Army fucker that will of course be condensed, so instead of having a month to do something, you will have a day or two and have to do it every month for three months because only the truly incompetent get full time positions. Even after you do twenty, you won't get your pension until 60 (or is it 65?) and then it is based on points that you acquire by attending drill.

It is like a lovely RPG version of the real Army, where the only DLC available is depression.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

iKon posted:

I got out right as they switched it to the 40-something month requirement. My buddies that were staying in were fairly salty about it, but I couldn't hear them since I was in the promised land of weed and college.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MurderBot posted:

For officers, the Army Reserve follows the same promotion model as the active component. For NCOs, if you aren't willing to drill at a unit 300 miles away then good luck ever getting promoted past E4.

Guard is an entirely different beast that is entirely political, both for NCOs and officers.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

psydude posted:

For NCOs, if you aren't willing to drill at a unit 300 miles away then good luck ever getting promoted past E4.

No poo poo, this is how the worst people get promoted. A normal human being isn't willing to drive all the way across the state to pick up E5, whereas the type of guy you don't want in charge of you is.

My understanding of Guard promotions is that it varies from state to state, so YMMV on this, but this is how it worked when I was in where I was:

In order to be promoted, a slot for that rank in your MOS has to be available. There various ways of specifying if and how you'll accept a promotion: Within your current unit, within a specified list of units, within what they consider maximum acceptable driving distance (the higher the rank, the longer the distance), or statewide.

So let's say you're the best SPC in the Guard. Max PT scores, know your job inside and out, a generally likeable guy and you get poo poo done. You have promotion points out the rear end. You're on the top of the points list. But you're not willing to drive to the rear end end of the state for whatever reason (for example, you drive a POS truck that gets 10 gallons to the mile) and the only slot available is in the rear end end of the state.

At the very bottom of the list is a SPC who can barely tie his own shoes. He was thrown out of a SINCGARS class because he didn't know how to hold the handset and kept trying to talk into the earpiece and listen through the microphone. He could gently caress up a wet dream. Doesn't know anything about his job or the proper order of the alphabet, always has a guy like you in the next lane during qualification, and is probably a wife-beating kiddy diddler. He's willing to drive to the rear end end of the state.

Now you have to call him sergeant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I guess I'll consider myself naive on the situation, it's pretty much a "promotion within" system when I was in, usually if you weren't promoted within your platoon you were promoted within the company, but I can't say that we ever had people lateral or promote "up" within my platoon who lived more than 2 hours away.

But I got out in 11 and I was only a SPC so I don't know the games. I hear the stories about peeps moving up the ranks based highly upon TIG/TIS but I suppose it's more smoke & mirrors than it is reality.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 4, 2016

• Locked thread