Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Posted this in the pcars thread but then got linked here.

Anyone know of some good plans for a relatively sturdy homebrew wheel stand? Or lessons learned from someone that's tried it? I've used an ikea tv tray for years with a microsoft 360 wheel and that was fine, but since I upgraded to a fanatec wheel it's not stable enough to really be any fun.. hard steering unsettles the thing badly. I could probably just freewheel my own solution but there has to be someone out there that's already gone through this.

A proper cockpit isn't an option due to space, but if I can rig up something that is easy to move to the front of my desk I should do okay. The tv tray is actually just about perfect size wise, but like I say it's just not stable enough anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Essobie posted:

I have an Obutto oZone myself, but I saw on the pCARS forums that there's apparently something at Home Depot that you might be able to use? 30 bucks and you can simply return it if it doesn't work out.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?25340-I-found-the-perfect-DRIVER-STAND-(at-Home-Depot!)

That's interesting, especially for the price, but the stand looks super wobbly and I'm not sure how I'd deal with the pedals.

I found a number of DIY type solutions with a google image search that I think should be enough to get ideas from, I just need to measure things out and buy a 2x4 to cut up and bolt together.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Harminoff posted:

So I see that beamng.drive is out on steam, thinking of picking it up. Is there fun to be had or is it mostly just a tech demo right now?

Tech demo. The crashes are amazing, the driving sim is in the "looks like you touched the gas pedal, so now we're going to spin you backwards" category.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the FFB with pcars feels really good, but you have to keep in mind I only recently clawed my way out of the dark ages of steering wheels.. when I bought pcars I went from a 270 degree wheel to a CSR.

There are a ton of FFB settings you can adjust, and everyone says really small changes can have big results.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it happens in your mirrors, it's not your fault. :colbert:

I mean yeah they might bitch at you for braking too early or puttering around a corner old folks style, but it's the responsibility of the person in back to avoid accidents.

The only real exception I can think of is if they are 100% going to pass you and you cut them off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably seemed like a good idea in the board room.

"Wait, we spend less money to make a thing, and get to raise the price? That's brilliant!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Norns posted:

All the modern sims do if I recall correctly.

Well, they have a racing line. It'll keep you from ditching the car into the railing at least. Optimal? Another matter entirely.. typically the racing lines put you off the pace by several seconds.

What would really get me enthused if a game had HUD elements or track notes to mark the common braking and turn-in points for real world tracks. You can sometimes dig this up with google but the info can be sparse. Just a little overlay marker that points out what the people who actually run the track use.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd argue the seat+stand is more important than the wheel, as the best wheel on the planet isn't worth poo poo if it moves around while steering or you have a terrible seat position.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it just feels nicer, that's great. But I don't think more nuanced force really effects one's ability to recover from a slide, all you need is a little bit of nudge to tell you the back end just broke free and muscle reaction takes over.

Especially for the prices that gear demands, the Accuforce and Bodnar stuff gets into "you know, I should just buy a real track car at this point" territory.

The only reason I drive sims is because I can't afford the real thing. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That articulation is pretty nuts, but it looks like the monitor mount needs some better bracing because you can see it vibrating a lot.

Too expensive for me, either way. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sim spergs are only happy in a frictionless universe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KillHour posted:

The best tires in the world can't make up for physics.

But a proper set of tires can make life a lot easier. The all-seasons most of us run on our daily drivers are dogshit in anything but clear skies. In snow/ice a good winter tire or studded wheels make a dramatic difference.

Yeah you're not going to be taking sweepers flat out but there is some grip to be found.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I think racing road cars is miles more entertaining then jetting rallies or supers personally!

Almost all racers these days have a selection of cars that could have just rolled off a dealer's lot. They're usually the "sport package" trim but are otherwise stock.

Pcars only has a few, off the top of my head there's a Focus and Clio, plus some offerings from BMW and Mercedes. But they're there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KillHour posted:

Driving like that in any car would be suicidal if there was even a little bit of ice on the road.

You mean you have to drive differently on dry pavement than on ice? This is shocking, tell me more!

Also what kind of nerd sets up three cameras to record his driving. Does anyone really care that much?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh I didn't notice the video title, heh, that's pretty funny.

It just looked like a pleasant fall drive to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I thought they were contractually obligated to have DNF next to their name.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

After years of getting t-boned by M. Rossi in Forza games, I really have no issues with the pcars AI at this point. Yeah sometimes they just flip the gently caress out and do something insane but 99% of the time they're pretty fun to drive with. Good enough to create some racing excitement anyways.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Need to drive faster to escape that swarm of bees chasing you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But Forza 4 didn't have stadium supertrucks, the raptor is the closest anyone could get. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

With a side of sexism because that's what boys crave!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't afford it because I spent all my money on a sim cockpit.

After I took up sim racing because I can't afford real racing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopefully someone uses it to make Bradley Smith's perfect race track:

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/motogp-racer-combines-his-favorite-turns-into-one-track-1725374821

Pretty cool tool, I really dig the road editing parts. Not paying $60 for something that can't actually be used with any games at this particular moment.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I always figured those absurdly low times were the result of people taking a "never lift" philosophy and repeating attempts until they manage to not put the car into armco.

Who knows, maybe they can set consistent 7:30's but I can't imagine how. You gotta be right on the edge to put up a #1 time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I didn't like the karts much because once you lose it, there's no recovery. You just instantly spin out and slowly pick your way out of the grass.

Up until you hit that point, they do feel pretty good. Super responsive and they feel faster than they are because the tracks are so small.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Great Joe posted:

The main thing is that arcade machines always had wheels and at least two pedals, even the stand-up ones. "Arcade handling" wasn't really a popular term until they started moving that same gameplay to home consoles and ran into the limitations of digital input, dual analog sticks, etc.

I would love to give Race Drivin' and Hard Drivin' a go with modern hardware, no other updates. Just to see if the driving sim was as good as I remember it.

High school bud and I pumped every quarter we got for three years into that game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The lights are probably fine.

White balance on your camera? Needs help.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well keep the blinds closed because the city will eventually hunt you down and ask for their street lights back.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fans don't simulate wind coming in through window, that rig is trash.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

365 Nog Hogger posted:

fwiw, heel toe is a misnomer for modern cars and nearly all Sim pedals, they are so close together that you barely need to move your foot to brake and feather the gas at the same time with the front of your foot on both.

Modern pedal clusters make heel toe really goddamn awkward. I mean at first glance everything looks like it's in the same place, but the pivot points and angles make it feel weird.

Heel-toe in a classic car, like the 70's or earlier before automatic transmissions really took over, and it's like "holy poo poo now this makes sense!"

Which is why if I ever sperged out and did a DIY pedal set, I'd get pedals from a VW bug. Not really needed these days because there are some really good pedal sets on the market but ~5 years ago it was a different world.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clearly they haven't finished implementing the tire AI to get it to bounce perfectly on top of the tire stacks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A 200kph horse? Why the gently caress are we driving cars still.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FOV will become irrelevant in 2016 when we are all giving ourselves nausea with our Rifts. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's just marketing. If you don't have Nurburgring/Spa/Bathurst/Laguna the average customer who starts every race ramming people out of the way on turn 1 isn't going to pay attention to your game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My hope is there's some small business out there taking a laser scanner to every small time race track in the world. When they finish, they sell licenses of the data to developers for inclusion in their games.

There's two road courses near me that are not noteworthy enough to ever get digitized otherwise, and I'd love to beat the crap out of them in a game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xw8DJY7aZQ

Excuse me while I throw my wheel and pedals into the trash.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen people complaining about the quality of their lower end stuff, maybe they just wanted to get out of the entry level market and focus on products that don't obligate them to cut corners.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's like some people haven't figured out that windows has a convenient menu in the lower left for finding and executing software. It even has search functionality, just start typing and it lists matches!

As for the steam error.. it seems pretty evident to me. Steam is busy! I say report it as a bug or start a thread on the game's steam forum because there's absolutely nothing in that message for anyone to generate advice on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh Dorna, never stop failing to grasp how new media works. :allears:

(they flagged the video to not play while embedded)

But yes, their movie series is phenomenal. Watch all of them, not just the newest one. Can't loving wait for the one for the 2015 season.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Africa one wasn't very good though. :colbert:

The Botswana and Bolivia ones were their high water mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's only demerit is it's early access. Means you can play it now, completely sperg out on it, and get bored before it's a complete product.

Is why I don't buy early access anymore, I never really get to enjoy the full game.

• Locked thread