Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

98.2% of people play this game wrong. :psyduck:

The no assists, HUD and headcam part I'm fine with. It's the winning an event part I struggle with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Loads of other little changes to career too, might end up restarting that mode just so I can spend my money on something other than engineer slots.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Essobie posted:

May well be. It took me about four hours to get the Ozone + triple monitor stand up and running. Then another couple of hours doing cabling, speaker mounting, adjustments, deciding I wanted the fully articulating keyboard arm instead of the fairly useless one that comes with the Ozone....

Like I said... I'm 90% happy with it. To be fair, however... my cockpit looks a lot better than that cage made out of 80/20. But let's also be honest: these are video game cockpits in our living room. It really doesn't matter how "cool" they look. They are all not cool.

It only took me 2 hours to get mine together though I do have to get a workmate of mine to take his angle grinder to the monitor mounts because as they are they cover over the power cord hole.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

julian assflange posted:

also: what was 'all the poo poo' around Project Cars anyway?

Project CARS is bugged up the rear end with various visual and gameplay issues ranging from minor (cars disappearing if they're not moving in the pit lane) to serious (AI cars not losing speed when they run off the track or seemingly dropping their collision detection to drive through you) and there hasn't been a single patch that I've seen yet even to hotfix some of the more minor stuff. I've seen people say that they promised to have indy car racing in the game alongside the Indianapolis Speedway on Indy 500 weekend as well which hasn't appeared though I'd like DLC to be a secondary concern over fixing bugs.

Having said all that though, I still don't regret buying it. I've played it a lot and provided they keep adding content like they've said they will I'm going to play it a hell of a lot more.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There is a giant all caps warning on the news page for Dirt Rally saying "DON'T DOWNLOAD THE LATEST PATCH" as it could corrupt your save file if you play with it. So if it's auto-downloaded don't play with it if you care about your save.

E: There's already a 1.6gb patch downloading for me to presumably fix poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

julian assflange posted:

A crowd called 505 Games are doing or helping with the port so it's not like they are just leaving the PC version on the shelf in the meantime.

505 are pretty well known porters, though not what I would call well regarded.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

simble posted:

Why the gently caress would you pull over and let everyone by?

I'm assuming they thought they were playing Euro Truck Simulator or suffered a sudden massive brain trauma.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

While I was signing up for the Dirt league I saw they're adding Rallycross to the game next month and I'm really excited for that.

Also I finally bought a wheel! A used G27 at a decent price finally popped up. :toot:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I've not gotten to the more modern cars in career since I haven't played the game much since getting it but I had a blast doing the goonrally stuff. Just a giant terrified grin flinging the Impreza around Wales.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

365 Nog Hogger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj-bp5okqR0&t=12s

Coming in 2016 for Assetto Corsa: loving planes, brought to you by the_meco (creator of the now official content shelby cobra)

Ok this might make me get AC since I love plane racing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

xzzy posted:

Probably seemed like a good idea in the board room.

"Wait, we spend less money to make a thing, and get to raise the price? That's brilliant!"

You know I was looking at this earlier and I was so distracted by how god drat loving ugly it is that I never noticed it didn't have a shifter, that's incredible.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

Steam Summer Sale is live. DiRT Rally is 25% off for anyone who's holding out.

I'd say to hold out, Early Access games usually go cheaper on a daily deal and I'd bet money that DR's gonna get cheaper at some point in the sale. Wreckfest and F1 2014 are also on sale if you want to smash poo poo or can't wait/won't buy F1 2015.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I was doing well in the Dirt league rally until I just tipped it over an ice wall on the 3rd stage.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Torabi posted:

Never felt like a game was too hard for me until I got Dirt Rally. Holy Batman on ice skates rally is hard. I'm 5 minutes slower than everybody and my car became 50cm shorter after finishing my first event.

Make your first focus just keeping the car on the road. At the clubman career level I was able to usually place in the top 3 just by not running off the track.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Have they given a date for the (actual) release of the new Germany stages? I'll get another season up for Wednesday, but I don't want it run past whatever that date is.

All the site says is June, they haven't given a concrete date.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It doesn't get much talk but all the major DLC for RaceRoom is 50% off right now, and most of the car and track packs are roughly half off as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Christ, I hosed up my shoulder at work yesterday so I'd been holding off using my wheel for anything today but I jumped into PCARS for a Formula Rookie race and everything was getting hosed up by the AI moving super slow. Having said that, learning to use manual shifting has consistently chopped 2-3 seconds off my lap times.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

To those who were waiting for a Dirt Rally sale its 25% off (around £19) for the next 10 hours.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Riso posted:

I see their last racing game is The Crew. It any good?

The Crew was an Ubisoft Open World Game but in cars. Bad story, even using towers to reveal more of the map. The only thing I see people doing in it is doing the coast to coast drive across the USA.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Assetto Corsa on daily deal today for no less than it was on sale for anyway. So that's all the racing stuff of any note done for the sale.

E: and right after I post that the Dirt Rally blog throws up the FFB update.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 16, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So I got Assetto Corsa since I was holding most of my Steam funds waiting for it to go on sale and after I'd gently and repeatedly told the game about my shifter until it decided to actually work with it I went into the career and thus the first career race. Holy poo poo no-one is exaggerating when they talk about how bad that AI is, just constantly ramming me when I brake earlier than them and side swiping me when I'm on the inside line and that's when they're not hitting each other and spinning the entire grid off into the gravel.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yep. AC is a helluva hot lap simulator and not much else.

The modding stuff though does mean I've been able to drive Trial Mountain for the first time in a few years.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Something I've been wondering since I was doing a lot of open wheel racing in Project CARS and love open wheel stuff in general, what are good sims/mods for open wheel racing? I know iRacing has a bunch of options but I'm still working on rookies there but otherwise it seems like a thing that isn't in many sims.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Torabi posted:

Stock Car Extreme has a lot of open wheel stuff. Waiting to see if it goes on a bigger sale during the steam summer sale before I pick it up myself.

Yeah I was looking at that after making that post but £17 is more than I can justify spending on another sim right now. I know Reiza said on Twitter it's not going to be a daily deal or flash sale so it's not gonna get cheaper in this sale at least.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Speaking of daily deals, Project CARS is on a flash sale for £24, which I think is the cheapest it's been yet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

pik_d posted:

I just got Dirt Rally and instantly joined the league, how does this work? How many runs do we get, and is there a way to practice if we only get one run?

Edit: Oh I see, the shakedowns are practice runs.

Shakedowns are basically single section runs to check your setup, in a league rally you get one shot. So if you throw it over a wall on a Monaco stage or off a cliff in Greece and end up unrecoverable, it's over.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

We were talking about Raceroom in the Project CARS thread so I'll post this here too, there's a free weekend coming up where you can try out all the content in the game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Skwee posted:

What's up with the fov options in that game, like give me values not random multiples of something unknown

Yeah its the one thing I really don't like in it, since there's also no key to adjust it in the car so you're always dipping in and out of the menus.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Skwee posted:

I don't have either games, but increasing the AI difficulty may make them go somewhere if that is an option

If you have a wheel and know which end of a car is which, Project CARS' AI is an absolute cakewalk at anything below 85%.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So this mod is doing the rounds as a major fix to Dirt Rally's FFB issues. I just downloaded it and tossed it in with the recommended settings and had an absolute blast driving a couple of Monte Carlo stages.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

All this Dirt talk is making me want to fire it up after starting a hiatus shortly before the Hill Climb was added due to playing the hell out of the first three rallies to the point it was frustratingly repetitive.

Wait a week or so, the Germany stuff is supposed to be out soon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gerblederp posted:

I ended up throwing the Stratos off a cliff on the last stage anyway :v:

I only lasted until the 2nd stage before throwing it off the cliff!

loving Monaco.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Here4DaGangBang posted:

What's the verdict on Project CARS, folks? I recall initial mixed reactions, I think? Specifically interested in how it compares to AC physics and FF-wise I guess, because that's what I've been playing thus far.

Anything I should know before making a purchasing decision?

There's a major patch (2.0!) coming out in a few weeks supposedly. The game has a lot of issues but its fun if you can overlook stuff like setups and pit strategies not saving. If you're looking for something better than AC in terms of physics and FFB though you're not going to find it in P-Cars.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I like Germany. It lets me go really fast.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Schlesische posted:

Doesn't Dirt use the same engine (albeit beefed up, significantly) as the F1 series?

Yeah, all Codemasters Racing games since I think F1 2010 uses the Ego engine.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jehde posted:

Really I always figured this thread as more of a general thread for all the tryhard sims, i.e. AC, iRacing, Rfactor, etc. It might be worth just making a Dirt Rally thread given how much Dirt chat here drowns out the regular sim chat. The two threads could coexist similarly to how the pCARS thread does.

I'm too lazy to put together an OP for such a thread.

I could probably throw together a Dirt Rally OP, it's the kind of game that really deserves a thread of its own since people are probably playing it and don't want to come in this thread.

E: I have thrown together a DIRT Rally thread. I'll go back and expand the OP a little later but I think I got the important stuff in there.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 4, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OhsH posted:

So if i dont throw money at this i still get an updated gsce, gotcha.

But from the look of things they're basing how much new stuff gets put in GSCE off how much they make. So right now they've confirmed they're adding SuperV8 and the Lancer Cup along with Montreal Modern and Velo Citta. So presumably the next milestone would be the Copa Montana pickups then Formula V10 then Rallycross and finally Super Trucks which is what everyone really wants.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I just backed it since I've spent a good chunk of today playing Copa Petrobras and having a blast and apparently all that game's stuff is in GSCE so might as well get it at last.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

Why don't you just give it a few days to see what people are saying? Everything I've read about it is very positive.

Well my copy (yes I bought a physical copy, it was £8 cheaper) shipped today so hopefully I'll be able to play it on Thursday.

Also, Assetto Corsa in actually decent UI shocker. Hopefully the polish they're putting on it for the consoles will lead to them improving the AI to acceptable levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mootallica posted:

I checked out the Steam forum for this the other day (god knows why), and everybody is up in arms that they took out the Career mode. Apparently it's now "Pick a driver - you're them for a year" instead of the "create your own name, start from scrub tier and work your way up" mode that it used to be.

I'm sad that this kind of progression isn't in there too, though I've seen endless bullshit videos on YouTube saying its a licencing thing because the FIA didn't want people putting themselves in the game. Though there's gonna be plenty of entertainment in pretending to be Maldonado and all that entails.

E: I haven't gotten my copy yet (thanks Royal Mail) but a list of problems was posted on another forum. People seem to be really angry about needing the day 1 patch to add in Manor. Also apparently the 2014 season cars have the wrong liveries and McLarens aren't fast enough on the straights. So most of the problems seem to be things only massive F1 nerds care about.

Oh, also the classic touring cars pack for RaceRoom is out. 4 cars for £7 or £2 each.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 9, 2015

• Locked thread