Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Torabi posted:

Not sure if AC supports it but in a game like Euro Truck Simulator where the truck can have 12 gears, you hit a modifier button so that your first gear becomes 7th gear and so on.

I don't see anything like that directly in AC. You could probably hack something like that in to AHK or something maybe, but you are probably better off just making whatever that button would be just be your 7th gear.

Or, you could just make the top left 7th, and something else 1st since the vast majority of the time on a 6 or 7 gear car you never drop down to 1st unless you end up stopped somewhere.

Or, you could use the paddle shifters no matter what car you are driving and never look back. I mean, the G27s nice and all, but the H shifter still doesn't feel good enough to make me think "Wow, I'm really in an 80s sports car!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
I absolutely loathe the menu system, and not just because it's 100% mouse driven. I really want a setup system that can fit the most complex car setup all into a single screen.

That said, I made a "reset to pits" AutoHotKey script that I bind to the top button on the G27 shifter that works quite well. It isn't full menu control, but it certainly does the most used combination of mouse clicks I use in the game when I'm hotlapping/tweaking a setup.

You'll likely need to change the coordinates to fit your setup's resolution, but it gives you an idea on how it can be done.

code:
#IfWinActive ahk_class acsW
{
1Joy16::
	Send {Esc}
	MouseMove 2880, 636, 0
	Click
	Sleep 2000
	MouseMove 1970, 176, 0
	Click
	MouseMove 1920, 1200, 0
return
}

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Nerdrock posted:

One of us! One of us!

Meh, buying is so much easier.

Agreed. Obutto oZone here as well.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

xzzy posted:

Posted this in the pcars thread but then got linked here.

Anyone know of some good plans for a relatively sturdy homebrew wheel stand? Or lessons learned from someone that's tried it? I've used an ikea tv tray for years with a microsoft 360 wheel and that was fine, but since I upgraded to a fanatec wheel it's not stable enough to really be any fun.. hard steering unsettles the thing badly. I could probably just freewheel my own solution but there has to be someone out there that's already gone through this.

A proper cockpit isn't an option due to space, but if I can rig up something that is easy to move to the front of my desk I should do okay. The tv tray is actually just about perfect size wise, but like I say it's just not stable enough anymore.

I have an Obutto oZone myself, but I saw on the pCARS forums that there's apparently something at Home Depot that you might be able to use? 30 bucks and you can simply return it if it doesn't work out.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?25340-I-found-the-perfect-DRIVER-STAND-(at-Home-Depot!)

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

jonathan posted:

Speaking of. I think I'm going to build a race cockpit out of spite. Those obutto's are 2x the price in Canada. I have all the woodworking tools I need. Can anyone direct me to a set if plans for something good ?

Read through some of the posts here: http://www.isrtv.com/forums/forum/104-diy-plans-only/

I'm about 90% happy with the oZone, but if I had the time and ability, I would have changed a few things about it.

Whatever you do, get a very comfy seat for your setup.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
May well be. It took me about four hours to get the Ozone + triple monitor stand up and running. Then another couple of hours doing cabling, speaker mounting, adjustments, deciding I wanted the fully articulating keyboard arm instead of the fairly useless one that comes with the Ozone....

Like I said... I'm 90% happy with it. To be fair, however... my cockpit looks a lot better than that cage made out of 80/20. But let's also be honest: these are video game cockpits in our living room. It really doesn't matter how "cool" they look. They are all not cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

CactusWeasle posted:

I laugh at the people - even here - who didnt throw $84 for lifetime rFactor 2 but will happily buy iracing cars and tracks all day long.

That said, if you want rFactor 2 multiplayer you have to join a league, or start one. Pick up racing is pretty much non existent. I was in a Clio Cup league last year and we pretty much had 15-20 guys show up every week. The ISI forums is the best place to find one.

For pick up racing, I still go to iracing.

Fake edit: *buys $700 racing wheel, wont pay for online racing*

This is kind of the point. People will spend that much on iRacing because they have proven to be able to sucker in thousands of people to pay for their service specifically because there are thousands of people to race pretty much 24/7. Why would anyone want to pay for a portion of a game that can't promise that? 84 bucks for something that isn't a sure thing is not a sound investment, especially because you'd have to join or start your own league. One would expect that the extra money you spend on the online portion of rF2 would take care of all of that for you, but clearly that isn't the case from your own experience.

I'm fine for finding a league for online racing but I won't pay an exorbitant fee to avoid future subscription fees for a title that I know isn't worth that much. Other titles that are just as solid racers as rF2 are far cheaper, and there are likely more leagues available for those than there are for rF2, specifically because of the price barrier.

I think if I wanted to race against humans any time at all I probably would throw money at iRacing, but luckily I don't.

• Locked thread