Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Hey! What happened to the sweet, sweet whale-eating action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Troposphere posted:

I found my pentel brush pen and I forgot how amazing that thing is goddamn

Got to try one of these today, and drat they're sexy! The art shop I tried it in was charging £15 for them, so I'm waiting on the one that was literally half that price on eBay. Really looking forward to it.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
glad to spread the brush gospel. My teacher Nathan Fox introduced me to it, I think it's the brush he uses for most of his work (plus a winsor newton series no 7 which is also an amazing brush).

everyone on tumblr is drawing themselves as a witch so I jumped on the bandwagon

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Awesome witchsona. :black101:

Some more life drawing today. Charcoal for the first one and pencil for the rest:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Troposphere posted:

everyone on tumblr is drawing themselves as a witch so I jumped on the bandwagon

This is so great. I love the lizardhands and feet and the derpy familiar.

Also, that sounds like loads of fun. Hooray for the bandwagon!

M'lad.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

How did you find working with charcoal? It's supposed to be a classic thing, but I found it difficult and frustrating to work with for whole pictures. It feels wrong and is unpredictable.

I.. I hope that you didn't all go blind.

Seer is all like "shiiiiiit how the hell am I gonna tell the baron his whole county is hosed"

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Sharpest Crayon posted:

How did you find working with charcoal? It's supposed to be a classic thing, but I found it difficult and frustrating to work with for whole pictures. It feels wrong and is unpredictable.
The thing that confused me for a long time about charcoal is that you don't really get the value you want instantaneously. Rather, it's a long process of putting down some raw tone, rubbing it into the paper to even it out, erasing back, adding more, subtracting there, etc. It's a longer process of building up, and you need to really get in there and mush the charcoal around on the page with a rag. With pencil you usually have to dig into the paper a lot to get a dark value, and fully erasing from there is essentially impossible. With charcoal you can adjust edges and pick out highlights even with a very dark tone. In the end it's more versatile than pencil because it's easier to get big areas of value, a bigger range of value, more subtle transitions, and easier to erase highlights. Oh, and it's easier to photograph because it's nonreflective.

P.S. edit: Don't smudge with your fingers or you'll ruin the paper.

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 8, 2015

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
When you're working with charcoal, use Willow to plan your values. It's the easiest to erase, rework, or simply draw over. Vine is not Willow (make sure it is Willow).

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Sorry not that epic, but he can probably do epic things with that sample of pure awesome he's holding there!

edit
Added an epic janitor as well >_>

@Troposphere

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 9, 2015

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Imaginary Friend posted:

Sorry not that epic, but he can probably do epic things with that sample of pure awesome he's holding there!

I love his plush hips/legs. The whole drawing is super endearing :kimchi:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And I'm done:

EDIT: Now I gotta figure out what to do next. Gnome? Night Elf?

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 10, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm getting slightly ashamed of not doing more than basic sketching or posting anything much, so here's a WIP of a kaiju with his tongue stuck to a glacier. Apparently he's on an arctic expedition. No destruction here, I only draw nice monsters doing people things.

Just needs the rest of the hatching, colour, shading, highlights, some sort of background and it's done. Piece of cake, I'll be done by Christmas!

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

spooky quick skulls for warmup

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

:tipshat:

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Been a while. Making up for it with three epic pen drawings. Material was permanent so there are some pretty epic proportion and perspective mistakes.

Epic Nurse

Epic smelly cow-armadillo-bug thing

Epic Dwarves

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Conte plus huge paper makes me happy.

Proportion's pretty off on the hips/waist, but I'm pleased with the lighting/volume.

e: I really need to get round to sorting an easel, I'm getting horrible perspective effects on such big paper.

e2: More conte:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 11, 2015

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
I really like the flow of the first conte drawing Petrol, it's a great image.

I've been working on a test image to send to games workshop to hopefully get into their freelance pool. However my tablet drivers are all messed up after a recent operating system patch so I have some downtime while I fix that. I figured I might as well post my wip for the warhammer project since it's suitably epic.

Propitious Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 11, 2015

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Thanks, good flow is something I really admire, so that means a lot! I spent much more time on the sketching for the second one, it took twice as long and I reckon that was a mistake. Live and learn, etc.

On yours, I'd amp up the colours and contrast a bit more - GW stuff is basically 'we painted an 11 on the dial', so I'd really beef up the shadows and reflection/highlights (esp on the klaw / bolt pistol). The ambient light feels like it's swallowing the figures a bit, if that makes sense, they might look better with more green/blue respectively. I love the klaw design, it screams ork in all the best ways.

Having said all that, I'm starting to think this monitor is on it's way out, everything looks like it needs more contrast, so do other goons agree with that crit?

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

petrol blue posted:

Thanks, good flow is something I really admire, so that means a lot! I spent much more time on the sketching for the second one, it took twice as long and I reckon that was a mistake. Live and learn, etc.

On yours, I'd amp up the colours and contrast a bit more - GW stuff is basically 'we painted an 11 on the dial', so I'd really beef up the shadows and reflection/highlights (esp on the klaw / bolt pistol). The ambient light feels like it's swallowing the figures a bit, if that makes sense, they might look better with more green/blue respectively. I love the klaw design, it screams ork in all the best ways.

Having said all that, I'm starting to think this monitor is on it's way out, everything looks like it needs more contrast, so do other goons agree with that crit?

Here's the second pass with more detail and texture added. As I build up detail I generally add more depth with shadows and value fog.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I only count 3 purity seals, lame, 3/10

Looking much better already, but the marine in particular still feels too yellow. Looking at the thumb, the marine's eye, his shoulderpad, and the klaw really pop, but the rest needs more colour! Maybe dropping some red hues into the background could work?

(Also, the omega on that marine's helmet is upside down! :v: )

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Animation backgrounds dump:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Reference was a random image on Quickposes

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

More conte goodness!

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
I cant remember the last time I had fun drawing

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Haha, I didn't want to sleep ever again anyway!

Kikka posted:

I'm so sorry. Have you been drawing for other people, not yourself?
I just came out of a frump that lasted a freaking year and now that I've been pretty meh the last couple of days so I went back to what I've always loved drawing: fat critters.
Is there anything you specifically liked to draw when you did enjoy it?

So here's a fat bunny with a mushroom on its head.

BTW Phylodox, male nelf plz with extra beard.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
That bunny is tripping balls.

Kikka, I hope you find some new joy in drawing. I too have come out of a relative funk. For me the medicine was life drawing and lots of it. Drawing from photos and such can be kind of soul-draining. Try a new medium to play with, too, just to make a mess.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

A commission I recently finished. There are anatomy errors (I don't think spines can twist that way, oops), but overall I like how it turned out.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Zombie tauntaun?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Kikka posted:

It's going to sound cliche but that just means you're stuck in a rut and you need to ~*expand your horizons*~. Get some life experiences, become a nerd about something new etc.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I've just started using conte and huge paper (instead of mainly digital) , and the change has really helped me enjoy art more.

The old saying, a change is as good as a rest, is totally true.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Anyone else feeling a bit bummed that we lost Leonard Nemoy and Terry Pratchett so close together?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Still balancing Thatcher's death out, i guess.:shobon:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Beelzebub posted:

Some black and white work done for a Pathfinder Module called Freeing Nethus.

I'm a bit late but I HAD to comment on this. AMAZING WORK. I've never been much of an illustrator, but I'm starting to get into it and stuff like this makes me want to quit altogether (but its also super motivational)

Love love love.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Mortality is terrifying.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Not nearly as scary as immortality would be. Nice pic, also.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

About 2 hours. I need to speed up.

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

Alright goons, I could really use your help, because this is driving me nuts.
Today I lost some progress on a piece I've been working on because this keeps on happening:
Photoshop occasionally refuses to save my files because apparently there isn't enough RAM. This has often happened when I've been working on my cintiq and until today I've been able to save my files once I've unplugged the tablet. This time it didn't help at all. I tried to flatten and then shrink the image down to just 6 mb, but I kept receiving the same message when trying to save it.

I wonder if it has something to do with me using the pen tool? Or perhaps it's just some general bug. The layers were behaving strangely, when I tried to merge two layers the colors of those layers changed completely.
Additionally my image file got ridiculously big some way down the road, I have no idea how that happened. Any ideas what's going on here?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Hmm, a couple questions:
- what is current capacity of the scratch disk?
- what are the document dimensions?
- are you running Chrome or any other browser at the same time as PS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

Hmm, a couple questions:
- what is current capacity of the scratch disk?
- what are the document dimensions?
- are you running Chrome or any other browser at the same time as PS?

-The scratch disc capacity is currently about 450 GB, additionally I let photoshop use 60% of the computer's total memory (just changed it to 70 %)
-The working dimensions are 5250 x 10000 (300 dpi), but photoshop wouldn't even save the image shrunk down with 80 %
-Turned browsers off when trying to save the image, with no effect.

Edit: closed photoshop, lost some work, but now I'm at least able to save my stuff. Still, this will most likely happen again. Anyway, have some content. A cockatrice-dragon thingmajing drawn with pens and markers.

SirJohanna fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 17, 2015

• Locked thread