Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

raditts posted:

Of course, because he has never overestimated his own abilities or competence.

Or lied, since he was sure Phil would come back for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Hughlander posted:

That's city to city. How about next suburb on the highway? Or exurb? Tandy even names a town and talks about how long it'll take at a brisk pace just before the 20 minutes later cut.

They showed phil walking off the road out into the vast wide open. My wife said it was ok since he was a Tuscon native and knows his way around.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I feel like such an idiot... I assumed the gag was that the guy in the space station was ANOTHER guy named Phil Miller, not his brother.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tandy mentioned Nogales which is about 70 miles south of Tucson. It's doable with two days of supplies. Though, I will say, it's obvious that Phil didn't really expect him to survive. He put the supplies in a cardboard box when i'm sure backpacks aren't in short supply. He also didn't give him any clothes that would give him cover or even something like a tent. All of that stuff would have been trivial for him to give Tandy, but he didn't. He dumped him into the desert to die and only used the supplies to assuage his own conscious.

Phil could have just DRIVEN him to Nogales with the same strict instructions about not coming back. It would have only been an hour and a half drive. But he didn't. He was betting on Tandy dying in the desert.

raditts posted:

Seems odd that they tied up that Todd / Melanie thread (or started it in the first place) if they're not going to be showing up again at least at some point.

See, I thought the opposite. They gave closure to the story line so it seemed like they were going to move on. I wouldn't discount them showing up again completely, but I don't think it will be early in the next season.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 4, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Tandy mentioned Nogales which is about 70 miles south of Tucson. It's doable with two days of supplies. Though, I will say, it's obvious that Phil didn't really expect him to survive. He put the supplies in a cardboard box when i'm sure backpacks aren't in short supply. He also didn't give him any clothes that would give him cover or even something like a tent. All of that stuff would have been trivial for him to give Tandy, but he didn't. He dumped him into the desert to die and only used the supplies to assuage his own conscious.

Phil could have just DRIVEN him to Nogales with the same strict instructions about not coming back. It would have only been an hour and a half drive. But he didn't. He was betting on Tandy dying in the desert.

See, I thought the opposite. They gave closure to the story line so it seemed like they were going to move on. I wouldn't discount them showing up again completely, but I don't think it will be early in the next season.

Also, Phil drove to the middle of nowhere, not to a road leading to the next town; so Tandy would not really know which direction, or could get turned around and lost. Phil also seemed to get pleasure in leaving Tandy in the desert.

Also, if Phil really believed Tandy could make it, it renders Carol's reasoning moot IMO.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The space station thing was effective. I could have accepted it was some astronaut cut off from earth; but it was definitely implied that the astronaut wasn't just another Miller, but Tandy's brother. Why else would they need to mention it seconds before? It's quite a coincidence that two of the few people alive are brothers, but I'll take it.

I generally liked the show a lot more than this thread in general.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

bull3964 posted:

Exactly. And if we assume Tandy actually knew where he was going, he'd hit Green Valley first anyway. It's an entirely survivable situation, but of course Tandy isn't all that competent. Either way, it's clear Phil definitely intended to leave Tandy to die out in the desert.

Echo Chamber posted:

The space station thing was effective. I could have accepted it was some astronaut cut off from earth; but it was definitely implied that the astronaut wasn't just another Miller, but Tandy's brother. Why else would they need to mention it seconds before? It's quite a coincidence that two of the few people alive are brothers, but I'll take it.

It's definitely Tandy's brother up there. We also saw Jason Sudeikis palling it up with Tandy back in the pilot.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

There is no way they can get Phil's brother back to Earth without completely destroying any possible suspension of disbelief.

His brother, after having successfully surviving re entry, emerges from the wreckage and hugs Tandy. He then convulses and turns to dust and blows away. Season 2 ~fin.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hell, if he wanted to give him more of a fighting chance, he could have easily dumped him in the desert with a Quad with enough fuel to reach the next town over but not come back.

The big thing is, Phil doesn't expect Tandy to take the threat of "don't come back" seriously. As SOON as Tandy got to another town, he could have easily hopped in a car and be back in an hour or so. There's no keeping Phil away other than outright killing him honestly.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

PassTheRemote posted:

Did Phil lie and deny he left him in a dessert to die, or did the rest of the cul-de-sac have no objections with leaving a man to die?

On topic: Good start/ending, horrible middle 6/7 episodes or so. I think this would have worked better as an independent comedy film instead.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I stopped watching when New Phil showed but I'll definitely check out season 2 if it's just about Phil & Carol again. The other characters just didn't do anything for me.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

On topic: Good start/ending, horrible middle 6/7 episodes or so. I think this would have worked better as an independent comedy film instead.

I thought it was on topic, but I read The Devil's Highway so I take being told to walk through the desert south of Tucson as a horrifying death sentence.

I'm probably going to delete the show from my Hulu favorites and not bother with season 2. I love cringe humor but it is easy to gently caress up - excuse me, to gently caress it up is easy.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
The series has been one cringeworthy moment after another, with far too few hilarious points to counterbalance them. I've watched it with the same sense of masochism that forced me to finish Sons of Anarchy.

I agree with the previous posters who said this would have made an excellent series finale. Hopefully season 2 is better.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'd give new Phil some slack, he did just find out Phil Tandy wants to murder him.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Here's an interview with Forte that gets into detail about his ideas for season 2:
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/03/last-man-on-earth-cliffhanger-finale

Sounds like a lot of it is still up in the air, but that the existing characters won't be out of the show.

quote:

We really want to open up the world and look at the starting up of a society again with just a small group of people and basic rules
This quote seems somewhat promising. The whole season I was wanting to see how a comedy would deal with the practical realities of living in a post-apocalypse, but instead we just got the same three-episode drama arc four different times as each new character was introduced. Maybe if they just stop with the introduction of new characters they could get down to more interesting plots. I don't mind having several characters on the show. It just got tiring seeing every episode be "new guy - Phil gets jealous" or "new girl - Phil tries to sleep with them".

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The whole middle of this show was awful, and although I like Schaal, I would've been more pleased if Tandy just goes from community to community being kicked out every season.
I'm sure they will run into some sort of religious sex cult next or something. I'd say cannibals, but I guess there's not enough people to eat.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It would be interesting if they flipped it around next season, made Tandy the good guy. Like, they come to an existing group that's all acting the way Tandy was, and he and Schaal are the responsible ones who put thing back together.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Next season on Will Forte presents Y: The Last Man On Earth, ...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was hoping Tandy would remember he owned the key to the city and shot new Phil when it was obvious he was actually going to abandon him. I kept hoping the show would surprise me or subvert my expectations, not that kind show though.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I really was hoping that after so long of not using his ultimate multi-tool that we would have gotten some callback to it near the end of the season, it was a bit too good to not use

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grim posted:

I really was hoping that after so long of not using his ultimate multi-tool that we would have gotten some callback to it near the end of the season, it was a bit too good to not use

ultimate multitool...key to the city... who else has one?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The acting, premise, and characters, were enough to hook me and get me watching but the episodic stories were so lazy (repetitive) that it leaves me disappointed. I can deal with unsympathetic loser main characters, hell I read most of Robin Hobb's books, but Phil is quite possibly the least likable main character ever. He's a perverted, compulsive liar. Yet it feels brilliant because every character is almost equally unlikable, even if they are essentially good. I'm not sure if that was intentional or the subconscious revelations of a warped personality. Carol goes from irritating and moralistic to sweet to jumping in the sack with the first hunky guy that shows interest. Todd is a nice guy who sows the seeds of his own failures. Phil2, I don't even know what to think of that guy. He seems nice but sometimes gives off a sociopathic vibe. I don't really want to watch again next season but I probably will because the stupid astronaut hooked me.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
There's going to be a second season?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
My favorite thing about the entire season is simply that everyone called him Tandy. They did a quick joke scene about the names, and now he's just Tandy. It's such a ridiculous name, I love it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

You are a nerd posted:

Well, I think this season was at best uneven and mostly wasted the premise, but that ending was a real punch in the balls.

I accidentally read this post before watching the episode and thought you meant the ending would be terrible. I was pleasantly surprised.

VendaGoat posted:

There's going to be a second season?

Yeah they got another season. I have faith that they will see what didn't work out this season and try to improve in the next.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I thought the final episode was good, and even if it wasn't a tremendous surprise how things ended up, I didn't have any expectations given the left turns the show has taken.

I think the second season will be better- they have the ability now to take Carol and Phil to a new group of people in one go, and there's the possibility of returning to see the Tuscon folks at some point, so it's less likely to be "new person of the week" every week. It would be funny if they meet up again and it turns out that TandyPhil was the only thing keeping new Phil from becoming some kind of Mad Max style tyrant.

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

I don't see them wanting to introduce a bunch of new characters. They've already said there will be a time lapse between the finale and the season 2 opener so there's a lot that they could have happen in the meantime regarding the Tucsan group. I bet we see most or all of the season 1 cast early in season 2.

On another note, I saw in an interview with Forte where he said Carol didn't plan to run away with Tandy but then why did she load up her car with all his ball-friends? Did she expect him to drag them along through the desert? Here's the article: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/03/last-man-on-earth-cliffhanger-finale

New Theory: I think Phil might have planned this all along. He told Tandy that he should care about Carol and then he put Tandy in a position where Carol would have to go rescue him.

Chernobyl Prize fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 6, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Chernobyl Prize posted:

I don't see them wanting to introduce a bunch of new characters. They've already said there will be a time lapse between the finale and the season 2 opener so there's a lot that they could have happen in the meantime regarding the Tucsan group. I bet we see most or all of the season 1 cast early in season 2.

On another note, I saw in an interview with Forte where he said Carol didn't plan to run away with Tandy but then why did she load up her car with all his ball-friends? Did she expect him to drag them along through the desert? Here's the article: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/03/last-man-on-earth-cliffhanger-finale

New Theory: I think Phil might have planned this all along. He told Tandy that he should care about Carol and then he put Tandy in a position where Carol would have to go rescue him.

Your theory makes no sense. Why would Phil do that?

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah when I saw the miller nametag on the astronaut I was like "oh christ not a THIRD guy named phil miller." then saw it was sudeikis, who we're assuming is his brother instead. I bet he even has a better middle name like Ace.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Renzuko posted:

Yeah when I saw the miller nametag on the astronaut I was like "oh christ not a THIRD guy named phil miller." then saw it was sudeikis, who we're assuming is his brother instead. I bet he even has a better middle name like Ace.

I thought the same thing, all guys named phil miller survived.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

How did you guys all come to that conclusion when they made a big deal about his brother in the couple of lines literally 30 seconds before that scene

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

raditts posted:

How did you guys all come to that conclusion when they made a big deal about his brother in the couple of lines literally 30 seconds before that scene

I didn't hear any mention of an astronaut brother.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

He mentioned his brother, Carol says "Oh, you have a brother? You never mentioned that!" and then we see a guy with a name tag with the same last name as Phil.

"I thought there was supposed to be a picture here! All I see are a bunch of dots!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When he went to his old apartment, I'm pretty sure there was a picture of him with Jason Sudeikis.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Cojawfee posted:

When he went to his old apartment, I'm pretty sure there was a picture of him with Jason Sudeikis.

There was, and also there was that flashback to the birthday party and he was there for that too.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Season 2 will open with a montage of Tandy loving up as he and Carol meet other small groups of people. Then they will have carol go in alone. She will introduce her companion, "Phil Miller" and the group they're talking to will freak out. This is how we learn that Non-Tandy Phil Miller was a complete psychopath who was exiled from his group a-la Tandy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Tandy now being with Carol and actually wanting to be with her might make him able to handle other groups of people.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
I think it's pretty obvious that at some point they are going to wind up in Houston and establish communications with Astronaut Miller, who really has to be in terrible physical condition after 2 years in microgravity

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

raditts posted:

It is a stupid enough joke that they would introduce a third character named Phil Miller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

sky shark posted:

I think it's pretty obvious that at some point they are going to wind up in Houston and establish communications with Astronaut Miller, who really has to be in terrible physical condition after 2 years in microgravity

It's really not all that bad as long as you're exercising. Maintenance and exercise is like 80% of the waking hours on the ISS. It's still weird to come home, but Valeri Polyakov spent 14 months in space, and was healthy enough to walk to his lawn chair during recovery.

• Locked thread